You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Family Who Wasn't There

Real Ghost Stories

The Family Who Wasn't There

 

Hey I'm back again. I've a ghost story I would love to share with you all. It's a strange one, as usual so here it is.

I've just moved to another town out in Western NSW about seven months ago. I'm a history/English teacher at the local high school (my first year) and moved with two other first year teachers into this stunning old Colonial style homestead just on the outskirts of this town... (oh, I'm leaving the name of the town nameless.) The house is an old farmhouse or a homestead as we call it with a wide sweeping verandah, stunning French doors with glass stain windows that had Australian landscape scenes on them-Kangaroos, Koalas, Maggies and other small birds, Australian ghost gums etc. Really stunning. The homestead is a double storey with a view to kill for, even though the land is bare but still stunning. Anyway, the homestead was built around 1870 by a Scotsman named McLean. He had a big family but they eventually died out (sons were killed during the first world war).

My room is the second closest to the stairwell plus we have a computer room (where I have my PS3 set up... (hey, I'm still a kid at heart). Now, everything was fine for the first week, just the usual sound of a different environment and, two, at night I'm stuffed from all day teaching and have to do my lesson plans for the next day. I like it here but just recently, three months to be precise, things started taking a different turn.

It all started on Wednesday night. I was in the CR (computer Room) doing up the plans for tomorrow's lesson when I suddenly had this... This weird feeling of someone watching me. I turned around and caught a glimspe of someone walking around the corner. Thinking it was Luke (one of the teachers I live with) I didn't do anything and went back to my work. I just happened to look up and, in the glass I saw this man, a tall man, wearing a tweed jacket, beard, standing in the doorway looking at me. I swung around and the bugger was gone. This was the start of it.

I would hear children laughing somewhere in the house, the other night Lee (she's Luke's girlfriend and fellow teacher) told me she heard two people having a muffled conversation in the living room and yet there'll be no one there. I was coming back from a P&T meeting and saw this woman standing at one of the windows looking out at me. I knew it wasn't Lee because she was next to me in the car and it wasn't my girlfriend because she went back to her home.

Sometimes I would find wet patches on the kitchen floor as if someone just walked through the house soaking wet or I would hear someone crying or smell dampness. Luke told me he saw a girl, aged around 14, standing in the kitchen soaking wet wearing the clothes from the late Victorian age. I would catch a glimpse of a child playing in the backyard sometimes but I knew there was no kids around for miles.

I've asked the local Historical Society the history of the homestead and this is what they told me: besides the two boys getting killed in WW1, they had a sister who drowned in the river during a flood. She was 14 (explains the ghost of the girl Luke saw and the wet patches), the father shot himself in the CR after he heard his two boys were killed and the wife lived there until 1919 when she died from the flu...

I still hear them but to me they're no a part of the furniture... So to speak... Sorry this was long...

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-09)
Fergie, sorry but I gave up on the book as it was chewing up the time that I had commit to teaching but now I'm resigning from teaching at the end of this year... Brats are getting too much to handle and besides I'm finding it boring 😆 but anyway I haven't seen the ghosts for the past two weeks now. We're used to them now and will be sad to leave at the end of this year... Got a life to live...
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-26)
AussieRedDog, judging by your accounts, you have had a very eventful life. I have just read through all of your 'stories', for the second time. I thoroughly enjoyed them! (Again!) I hope that you still have more accounts to come, you have held me spellbound! 😊
I hope being a teacher is all that you hoped it would be. They say, "it is a special calling!" 😉
Have you finished writing your book yet? Has it been published? Where can I buy it? (Right! Now you know how interested I am!) I love reading; when I was young, books were my only companion!
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
they're harmless, even though my G.F. Said she had her hair pulled by someone a couple of nights back (20/04). Now and then I would find wet footprints on the floor or the mysterious smell of pipe tobacoo...they're still here 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
AussieRedDog wow! Just read all your posts on here and got to say you have been through some very strange (and exciting) experiences.
Have to say I thought joshua was the best one, but also say there are some amazing stories.
Hope its not too long before you post again
Carl
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
That is a beautiful story. Thank you for shareing. I know a girl who is 14, so i'm quite sadden by how she died. But wouldn't your story make a great book! Lol 😜
GIRLIE ❤
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
AussieRedDog, I really love reading your stories. Your home sounds beautiful, the description of the over looking landscape makes me want to go camping along the Murray River in NSW 😊
The dripping wet girl somehow reminds me of the horror movie 'The Ring' where the girl who was pushed down a well comes out of the t.v dripping water behind her... Very freaky indeed! Thanks for sharing, a very spooky and enjoyable read 😊
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Hi AussieRedDog, this is such a sad history attached to your house. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your experience, and no need to say sorry your account is not too long at all. Take care. Trix.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
AussieRedDog,
First I have to say that looking up, or glancing at a reflective surface only to find someone there behind you staring back at you? YIKES! That is one of the fears I have never been able to shake.
I agree that it is not residual. Residuals are just recordings, no reak substance to them. They don't impact the environment. The wet spots on the kitchen floor puts that thought to rest for good.
Such a sad tale about the family. So much tragedy. It is just a guess, but perhaps they haven't crossed over because they're waiting for the two sons to return from the war?

Jav ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Cocoa: What part of Kryodrache's comment doesn't make sense to you?...I think it's a perfectly logical thought...

Aussie RD: I agree with Kryodrache about the little girl... I don't think residuals give you the "being watched" kind of feeling, since they aren't a true ghost... The EMF explanation would work, too, if those sensations were there all or most of the time, or were present in the same area consistantly...

It's nice to have your experiences backed up by the history surrounding your home... Looking forward to more, and thank you for posting! 😊 ❤
Cocoa (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Hey finally another Aussie! As everyone has been mentioning it is certainly a residual haunting. Though I have come to terms with Kryodache's comment as it makes no sense. The father shot himself in the computer room... He had history too.

Thanks! Cocoa 😊 ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
AussieRedDog: Mate another great account, so your still residing there am I correct! I get the feeling they are just curious mate and know that you are able to perceive them. The house has had some terrible pain imprinted into it. I am glad that you live with them peacefully buddy. Look forward to your next installment.

Cheers!

Dan
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
This sounds like a textbook haunting, to me. The man in the computer room might have been something regarding EMFs (Electromagnetic frequencies) as I learned from Rook earlier, but I believe the girl you saw at home is for real. I wish I could see that history report of the building, that sounds interesting... Morbidly so, of course, but to see a ghost, recognize certain traits, and only THEN recognize her/him through later research solidifies it as a true haunting in my opinion.

I'm not so sure it would be residual if you're seeing her as sopping wet... If it were residual I'd think she would look more... Normal, so to speak. An echo of life, per se'. It might be a spirit waiting for something, or unable to find her way back, due to the traumatic experience of her death.
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
I also agree with Mac_Barbie93. It is a residual haunting and I also think that they will not harm you. Anyways it is (the experience) nice but the history of the family is really very sad to know 😢
Dandruff_in_hair (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
Do not worry, they sound harmless. Very short comment... God bless
Dandruff 😊
ILee (1 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
do they interact with you or make any contact? Or does it just seem like a residual haunting?
Mac_Barbie93 (6 stories) (42 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-09)
sounds like a residual haunting to me, I guess sometimes ghosts don't know that they're dead and may continue to go about the same routine they followed when they were alive, I don't think they mean any harm though 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: