You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Night My Dad Died

Real Ghost Stories

The Night My Dad Died

 

Back in 2006 my dad was 54 when he became really ill. He was having hard time breathing and was beginning to see a doctor. After months of testing thinking it was pneumonia it really turned out to be cancer. When they determined it was cancer of the lungs they gave him 6 months to live. Further testing revealed that it had already spread to his brain and they knocked it down to 4 months to live and, he only lived for 3 more months.

I was living in Midland MI at the time and was driving home to Roscommon MI every weekend. I just so happened to be up visiting the night my Dad passed away. When you are living with a loved one who has cancer it is very hard because you are just standing helplessly by watching them wither away. So this was my 3rd or 4th day up north so I decided that night we would get out and go visit some friends and take our minds off things. I said goodbye to my dad and told him I would see him in the morning, and he replied "I hope so".

I regret leaving to this day but none the less we left. So my husband (boyfriend at the time) and I went out for a few hours to a friends who were having a bon fire. We stayed and I only had 1 beer and we drove home. By the time we arrived back at my parents' house it was 2 am. We were sleeping in the spare room of my parents' home where they kept their computer. When we entered the room to go to sleep the computer was off. Completely off. We began to change clothes for the night when the computer turned on all by itself. After it turned on the screen started flashing all crazy and the computer powered down again. You could hear the wiring sound of it turning off. This happened 3 times before the computer went off and stayed off. My husband and I looked at each other and commented on how weird that was but then just went to sleep.

I was lying there in the dark and I could tell from my husband's breathing that he was already asleep. I rolled over now facing the computer to go to sleep myself and I looked over at the computer. There standing in front of the computer was a black shadow with a clear outline of a person. I could really see the outline of the head and the shoulders and the arms at their side. I was frozen with fear; I could not move my body. I was able to reach over with my arm in attempt to wake up my husband but I could not wake him, and I could not call out for help. The only thing I could think to do since I could only move my arms was to pull the covers over my head. Once I pulled the covers over my head the next thing I remember is it was now 4 am (2 hours later) and my younger brother (about 15 at the time) was bursting in the room to tell me my father was passing away.

My father had got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and slipped and fell and hit his head on the floor. My mother and my brother just so happened to be there when he fell. The fall must have reputed the cancer in his brain. My mother said when she made it over to him he could not talk or move he could only move his arms and make facial expressions. He frowned and his eyes dilated and by this time I had made it over to him. He was gasping for air and you could tell that he was not conscious. All I could think to tell him was that it was going to be ok, that it was ok to go, and we will take care of each other. After saying that he died.

Later in the day I decided to tell everyone what had happened to me that night. My older sister (27 at the time) explained that she had a strange thing happen to her also. She said that she suddenly woke up to me standing over her bed (now mind you I do not recall this and I do not remember anything between pulling the blankets over my head and my brother rushing into the room). She said I was standing over her bed yelling at her - that I kept repeating "Jenny! Jenny! - until she finally replied WHAT! - and apparently I told her "it is time" she said at that very moment that I said "it is time" to her my brother rushed into her room and flipped on the light. She said when the light came on I disappeared and jimmy ran in and said - Jenny get up, Dad is dying! By this time my brother had not been to my room yet to get me.

After my dad died my mom said every night she would wake up to someone caressing her arm and an indentation on the bed where someone was sitting on the bed. This was going on every night and she decided to call me (I am the one everything weird usually happens to - so they consult me) So I told her it was probably dad just letting her know he is alright and that if it is bothering her to just talk to him out loud like he was there in the room and tell him that she knows he is ok and he does not need to stay. She did that and he has not been back since. - Let me know your thoughts - thanks!

Other hauntings by terriberries

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, terriberries, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

charlottecase (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
awwww cute story... Sorry about your dad mine has gone too so I know how it feels... But I see him every night beause he always suts at the end of my bed and we talk for hours:) 😭
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
This story is so sweet, I am sorry about your father's passing, I know that the after death visit is when they want the family to know that they are okay and tend to take turns, I'm glad he was able to help your mom a little, it's things like these that shows true love never dies ❤

Blessed Be ❤
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
I really liked that story, it was very sweet. You shouldn't be regretting the time you and your husband went out on the night your father died. You both needed some time to clear you minds and not worry, plus at lease you were there when he died. I heard about one woman who was waiting with her father until he died, but got up to get a cup of coffee (at a hostiple) and before she could get back to his room he had died. Now that's something to regret. Have a nice life terriberries (❤ the name)

GIRLIE ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: