You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Scariest Sleep Paralysis Episode Ever

Real Ghost Stories

Scariest Sleep Paralysis Episode Ever

 

I recently learned about sleep paralysis a few weeks ago, until then I thought that I was being tormented by a ghost or a demon as the things that were happening could not be shrugged off as a dream. I have had a few episodes but none of them this realistic and scary which made me research into it. Here is what happened to me...

I woke up with a terrible sense that someone or something was in the room with me, I heard footsteps coming from the corner and slowly making their way to where my bed was, some people who experience sleep paralysis see horrible hallucinations but thank god for me that I was facing the wall so I could not see the contents of my room or what was about to happen next. The footsteps grew louder until I could make out that they stopped right next to my bed, I could hear a deep breathing in my ear and could feel its breath like it was leaning over the bed and within millimetres from my face. A weird sound started almost like a high pitched sucking noise, kind of like a hoover and I could feel like something was draining me of life, I could also see a misty gas like substance in the corner of my eye.

I started to panic and tried to move but couldn't, suddenly a great sense of deja vu occurred and I knew exactly what to do, I told myself to relax and stop panicking and soon after it stopped, I shot up out of bed to see what happened and nothing was there, I was terrified to go back to sleep and so stayed up the rest of the night. I can't remember if anything else happened, but it was certainly the most realistic and scary thing I have ever experienced.

The other time that I can make most out of what happened was, I woke up and could feel something moving on the bed like something was moving and crawling up to my chest and face, I thought it was my dog but realised that he was with my mum that night. It suddenly stopped I tried to move but was again paralysed; I could feel a large weight on the end of my bed like someone had sat down on it and that's all I remember.

Has anyone else experienced sleep paralysis episodes similar to the things that happened in mine, I am terrified to go to sleep ever since the last episode and what happened. Thanks for reading

Other hauntings by multinathan911

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, multinathan911, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Kilinski (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
TRY THIS! The next time you find yourself in a sleep paralysis episode, tap your teeth together and try to wiggle your toes! I suffer with this as well and it can be very frightening. I read years ago that if you do this, it will help bring you out of your paralysis. It works for me every time!
Scyon (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Ive had an few of them myself and seen an few scary things 3 so times when doing it one I even thought was real even after I knew what it was. 😨
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-13)
I don't know if what I had was the same but I was living in New Orleans and was 3 blocks from BurbonStreet. I had a heavy weight of some sitting on the bed I was so scared see... They got all the VooDoo stuff there and it was three nights before that a witch woman died next door. So I really don't know what it was that was the obly time in my life that I never seen the spirit. I always see spirits.
gblara (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-09)
I have had these sleep paralysis ever since I was little. The other day I was asleep next to my child. I just put him back to bed and it was 7:30 in the morning, I closed my eyes and felt something sit on the bed next to my head! I couldn't move at all. Next thing I felt was a hand touch my hand. It then put its face towards mine. I was sooo scared, it was talking to me but I couldn't understand what it was saying. I can't explain what happened but I know it wasn't a dream. But what I do know is that I need to find god. I haven't been praying or going to church as much as I used to. I also noticed that it has something to do with your energy. Are you always mad or fighting with a certain someone?, maybe you need to change and be a more positive person.
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-27)
Ive had them my entire life- just like you described. Sometimes I see what terrifying being is there, but normally it is just a weight or pressure and intense feeling of fear and dread. About three years ago this began happening about 5 nights out of each week. That was enough. A 3-day ekg and sleep study confirmed that I have a form of narcolepsy considered a gift by my Romanian ancestors, but I'd much rather have just received a card for home depot than this.

If it gets so bad and frequent that you cannot sleep or wake up feeling as though you hadn't, I suggest getting one. The GHB prescribed for it was a god-send of sorts and allowed me to not experience it when taken prior to laying down.

Most of mine can be best described by the classic painting "the nightmare"
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightmare

Whether or not it has anything to do with ghosts or not is not for me to say- who knows -but advice from others on this site worked for me the second to last time: Repeatedly ask it to leave you alone. I had to do so a dozen times, eventually in the four-letter version but it worked. I've probably had well over 1k such episodes throughout my life and there is a definite correlation with stress and new/certain places.

My most recent was possibly the most terrifying as I was wide awake throughout it and communicating with my girlfriend sleeping next to me. It lasted for about an hour, just a black mass of darkness standing in her doorway lunging at me every so often. By the time it finally left she was rather fed up with being woken and I was almost in tears. I hope it doesn't get worse for any of you. It can get much worse. 😭
JBarum (28 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-26)
I had (what I think was) sleep paralysis once. It was terrifying. I was still living with my dad at the time (about 22 maybe) and at the time I liked to sleep in pitch-black darkness. Well, I either "woke up" or had just drifted off to sleep when by my dresser there was this red mist in the shape of a silouhette. It said it was the devil and not to bother to try to "wake up" or something to that effect. IT was horrible because I could see everything in the room but couldn't move. Luckily it didn't last long. Once I was able to, I shot the light on and I refuse to sleep in the dark since. Other things that are somewhat similar is, a lot of times when I'm trying to sleep, I'll hallucinate that there is a spider or centipede crawling on the wall. It used to get me everytime to where I would think it was real and freak out immediately. But now I just stare at it for like 15 seconds or so and it starts fading away. Weirdest thing ever and it never happened until a bug issue I had at the apartment I lived in a couple years ago. The place was infested with centipedes (I would kill 10+ a day) and it really messed me up. (couldn't sleep/etc)
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-25)
Hi multinathan911

First of all I want to say that it is fanatastic that you did some research on sleep paralysis. That's the first step to being able to handle an episode when it does happen. The fact that you were able to tell yourself to relax and stop panicking is a great thing and may help you if it does happen again.

The next thing is to try and establish what triggers an episode for you personally. Personally I have episodes when I'm sleeping on my back or if I'm too hot but everyone is different. I can understand how scary this can be. I had an episode only this morning because it was cold during the night and I accidentally left the heater on, hence I was too hot which triggered an attack. I 'heard' people walking around my house (I live alone) and it felt like someone was dragging me out of bed and of course I couldn't move a muscle. But I told myself that it was just sleep paralysis and not to be scared. A tick I find helps is to try and wiggle your toes and fingers to wake up. It takes a little practice but it seems to work for me. Sorry for rambling on... I hope your sleeping improves soon! 😊 😊
vsecret82 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
Hi multinathan! I have had similar episodes of sleep paralysis. I actually wrote a paper on this phenomena for my psychology class from both the medical and spiritual aspect. The medical aspect says that somewhere between coming out from REM (rapid eye movement) into NREM (non rapid eye movement) when our brain is awaking but the signals to our limbs aren't quite woke that is when we experience sleep paralysis. According to medical science since our mind is still in sleep mode that's why we hallucinate seeing shadows and things of this nature. Of course I believe otherwise because I had it happen to me. The spiritual side states that the pressure you may feel is the spirits attempt to do whatever it is they may want. This ranges from sexual intent to possession.
The best thing to do when this happens again is to breathe and relax your body and if you are religious pray and ask your God according to your religion for help and you should come out of it. You can not show fear, they feed off that. Stay strong and keep us updated on what's going on. Hope I helped:-)
bereal25 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
I had two episodes within the last six months. The most recent one I felt this strong sense that someone was coming into my room and I heard footsteps walking towards the me. I could barely open my eyes and I saw a tall shadowy figure standing a few feet away near the door as if watching me. I was finally able to open my eyes and move and the room was vacant and the presence gone.

The one before was a bit more frightening. I felt this strong energy hovering over my head then I felt warmth in my ear as if someone was breathing in it. I then heard a voice whipser directly in my ear, "don't wake up." I tried my hardest to move and "wake up " but it took me about 10 seconds. My heart was pounding and I was sweating so hard. I don't know what it was

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: