You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Harvey, The Best Dog In The World

Real Ghost Stories

Harvey, The Best Dog In The World

 

It's been over two years since I've posted a story, but I felt this story might be something everyone would be interested in. At first I was going to title the story, "Something Wicked This Way Comes", but after re-reading it, you'll understand why I changed it.

About three months ago, our American Fox hound, Harvey, had to be put down due to heart issues. He was in a lot of pain, and we came to the sad conculsion, that ending his life, (he was 8 years old) was best for him. I know you always hear the phrase, "He was the best dog in the world", well in this case, Harvey was. He was intelligent, loving, and he was very protective of his family (us). Needless to say, when it came time to say goodbye we were beside ourselves with grief.

Since I was the one that spent the most time with him, (everyone else were either at work or at school) we became very close. I noticed early on that Harvey had another quality to him. Like most animals, I believed he could see into the "other side". He also had a 6th sense about people. Usually when new people would enter our home for the first time, he was very loving, and we quickly gave him the nick-name of, "Love Sponge". However sometimes he would growl, and the hair on the top of his neck and head would spring up in alert mode (the razor-back look). Later we would find out these type people (usually plumbers, electricians, teenage friends to our children) were not very "nice" people. You know, either involved in drugs or in trouble with the law, etc... Harvey just seemed to, "know" peoples' inner character.

Enough background.

I've always stayed up late and never go to bed before 2 a.m., and Harvey would always be at my feet sleeping while I read or watched T.V. On one of those nights, he suddenly sprang up and began to growl deeply and get into his alert stance. I asked him what was the matter, and he would momentarly wag his tail and look into my eyes (as if telling me he wasn't upset with me). He then would look over my shoulder again and begin growling again. I have never been uncomfortable when I stay up alone until way past midnight. It's something I have always done since childhood, but on this night I too felt the hairs on my arms lift. Mind you, the recliner I was sitting on had it's back towards the outside wall of our home. Thus I felt he was looking through the wall, past my shoulder, at something on the other side of the wall or behind me. Before I realize what was happening, he sprang up and ran toward the front room (to where the front door is). Mind you, the whole time he is facing the same "outside" wall all the way there, spitting and growling. I follow him and when I get to the door, he has assumed his attack stance and is barking, so that even our neighbors could probably hear him as well.

I kneel down, and try to calm him. I do this because by this time I figure maybe someone was outside and trying to break in or he sensed something else. I'm about to go and get my husband up (he sleeps like the dead) and I notice a putrid smell of rotten eggs and sulfur. Well, no need to bother my husband, because whatever it may have been, was not human. This went on for about 3 minutes, while I prayed and asked God to protect us and our home. When I was done, Harvey then looked at me and wagged his tail and started to lick my face like nothing was ever wrong! He even did what we called, his "puppy hop" all the way back to the den, at the back of the house.

Gosh, I didn't realize that this story would make me cry...

We all miss him so. He was and and will always be a member of our family.

Just a side note, my husband Sam, has the habit of pouring himself a scotch after he's done with his work. He has a high stress job, and this is part of his way of relaxing in the evening before dinner. He gets his drink, gets the newspaper, and heads to the back patio where he waters his plants and herb garden. Harvey always joined him and "knew" what time it was before Sam even poured his drink (he would be waiting at the back door for Sam and would follow him around the back yard whilst he watered the plants). Sam was not a believer in the paranormal. Well, a couple of weeks ago, Sam came into the kitchen (where I was preparing dinner) and gave me the biggest bear hug. I then noticed he eyes were a bit misty. He put his lips close to my ear and wispered, "I just saw Harvey".

We hugged for a long while, and I didn't even tell him, "I told you so". I guess one could say, Sam is no longer a skeptic concerning the paranormal, thanks to Harvey, "The Best Dog In The World".

Other hauntings by roseinbloom

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, roseinbloom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-02)
That's such a touching story. Thank you for sharing. It is hard to understand a story like this unless you have had a pet that is this close to your heart. Thanks again! 😁
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-05)
I absolutely loved this roseinbloom! What a gorgeous member of your family Harvey was. 😊

Animals give so much love don't they and are there for us both in this life and the next.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-04)
This is the kind of tale that I hope to read when I come to this site - inspiring, fascinating, and heartwarming. I'm so sorry he's gone but you were blessed to have Harvey in your life for the time you did - he was an "angel dog" and a true friend.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
*Martin I think there should be a button we can click if we know the story we post is going to be quite emotional for the readers!😁*

Roseinbloom, I loved your account here, Harvey sounds like he was a family member and a soul mate to you all, I'm truly sorry for your loss I have been in this situation with my dog Sam aswell. 😢

I know you are taking comfort in the fact that he is at peace now and it has been confirmed that he will always be around forever watching over both of you. 😊 Lovely account! Thank you for sharing this with us all here!

Dan
Gargoyle (51 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Hi roseinbloom
You got me going there too. I have a beautiful German Shepherd sleeping at my feet just now. Dogs are amazing. I have had 3 and all of them at one time or another have exhibited very strong signs of either seeing or sensing something that isn't there, at least to our limited senses.
Take care
ind_83 (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Wow roseinbloom, it's really a very nice & touchy experience. I really feel very sorry hearing this that your dog Harvey is no more. I think and not only I, but everyone will agree with me that dogs are really our best friends. They are trustworthy, loyal to the core of their heart. I am a dog lover also, I have two dogs (Pixy, 3yrs.) & (Liza, 9 yrs.). I can only say this that their presence just makes me feel happy & protected. 😊 ❤
mhalditah (9 stories) (36 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-03)
Such a wonderful story! I remembered our lovely dogs and it makes me feel heartbroken whenever it passed away due to age or sickness. Thanks for sharing!
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Aw, roseinbloom I got teary eyed just reading it! Whether or not people believe animals love unconditionally and IMO never leave us until it is our time to go. Thank you for sharing this but Harvey does sound like the best dog in the world!

Blessed be ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
roseinbloom: People who don't have pets have a difficult time understanding what an important part of our families they are... Harvey sounds like a wonderful being...

I have to commend you for your restraint in not saying "I told you so" 😆...That's true love right there 😆... ❤
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
roseinbloom

Oh my goodness I'm crying like a baby, what a wonderful story! I am an animal lover too and really believe our little friends can see and pick up on all things around us. I love these stories as they give confirmation that our pets do visit us in spirit when they pass. In fact I think I would much rather prefer to have ghost animals hanging around than people ones 😆 Thanks for sharing! ❤
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Thank you all, for your heartfelt, comments. Once again, Harvery is making us feel loved, by the way all of you have responded to his story. ❤

God bless you all.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Thank you is all I'm going to say about this story... Thank you ❤
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
I LOVE this story ❤. I have a heart for animals and really enjoyed reading this. And thanks to Harvey your husband is no longer a skeptic 😊
tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
I'm with the rest of them tissue warning next time.
That is so sweet.
I have a dog like that now and she's 12 and I've been worried that we'll have to put her down in the next year or so.
This story reminded me that she will always be with me and if she comes back as a ghost she knows where her blanket is and she can stay as long as she wants.
She also like Harvey knows more about people than what they show and I have learned to take her advice. ❤ 😆 😁
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Oh for cripes sakes, these should come with a "Warning: tissue is advised" label! LOL What a wonderful pal he must have been. He loved your husband enough to come back and let him know he made it to rainbow bridge.:)
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
oh my... What a wonderful post, I love these kind of posts and look forward to reading them.
Sorry for your loss roseinbloom but at least you know he is still with you and your family, and happy too.
Thank you for sharing
Taz
leanekim1 (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Brought a tear do my eye and a BIG O SMILE to my face! Well done!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Oh good lord, I'm crying like a baby over here.
Thank you roseinbloom, it is tonic for the soul whenever I read an experience like this one.
Thank you.

Jav ❤
adsouza (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-02)
Yeah roseinbloom.

Thank you for making me cry as well with this account. I was sitting perfectly fine, doing my job, and sipping a coffee and smoking a cigarette. And then I read this.

My friend Bobby was similar in some ways and different at the same time. So reading such accounts brings back memories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: