You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Strange Stuff

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Stuff


When I was 17, I moved out of my mother's house for the first time. This would have been December, 2010. My best friend and I moved into a share house together in West Launceston, a suburb in the small city of Launceston in Tasmania, Australia. This house was from the 1950's, and my room was always freezing cold. Even in summer I would wrap myself tightly under my covers as I have trouble sleeping when I'm cold.

Anyway, one night I went to bed around 10:30pm while my house mates stayed up. I should mention I had a guinea pig at that time, and I kept her in my bedroom. I remember waking up about half an hour later. Something woke me up, and when I finally woke up properly, I noticed it was a rather loud breathing. It was coming from inside the room. Now, some people have asked me if it was someone outside my window, but the thing about that is, the curtains on that window were practically see through. I would have been able to see a shadow or something, at least. The breathing was strange, though. At first I thought it was my guinea pig, until I noticed she was wide awake and very alert to what was going on. To me, it sounded as if it was a woman's breathing, and it kind of sounded as if she was feeling cold. I can't really explain it too well in words.

After about a minute, I got up and ran to the kitchen where my roomates were still up. I told them about what happened, and they came running to my room to check it out. The breathing had stopped when they got there. My oldest roomate went outside to check if there was anybody out there, but there wasn't. My other roomate stayed in my room to try and hear the breathing. I stayed in there with her, but I did not hear it again that night. That was my first ghostly experience I had ever had in my life. From then, the other stuff started happening.

After about two months, I moved back in with my mother. She only lived down the road. I was in bed one night, and I had fallen asleep while watching TV like I usually do. When I woke up shortly after, I heard breathing once more, but this time it didn't seem like it was cold. The second I moved with fright, the breathing stopped. I didn't think my mother would believe me, so I didn't bother to tell her. I stayed in bed, but I stayed awake and alert, waiting to see if I could hear it again. I didn't hear it again that night, and until now, I haven't heard any breathing, but other ghostly things have happened as I continue.

About three weeks after that, I was getting ready for bed. Now, I should mention that in that room I had a chair where I placed my clothes on for the next day. I always put my clothes on that one chair. My television was on top of my Tallboy, which was naturally much higher than that chair. Anyway, I placed a piece of clothing on the chair, and went to sleep. All was fine. The next morning, I wake up to find that piece of clothing folded and ontop of my Tallboy, infront of my TV. Now, that night, I was alone at home, so nobody else could have done it.

Another day around the same time, I remember my mother telling me about how she heard my bedroom door close, and how she called out my name and there was no answer. She said it didn't sound like I usually close it either. That it sounded like less of a slam and more like someone was trying to be quiet about it.

After that, I didn't have any ghostly experiences for a while. I moved out of my mother's house again in November 2011, and moved in with another friend. He lived in another suburb of Launceston called Invermay.

One night, my boyfriend and my friend's friend were staying over, and my friend had an idea to do a kind of Ouija board, except we didn't have one so we just used paper and a shotglass. I didn't think it would work either, and I'm not sure it did, but something strange did happen. I'll start from the begining.

My boyfriend was a little bit drunk, and me, my friend and my boyfriend all had our fingers on the shot glass. My friend's friend decided to stay out of it. We asked a couple of questions, and I was pretty sure my boyfriend was the one moving the shotglass as he was drunk and wanted to screw around with our heads. I started complaining and telling him to stop moving the glass. Now, we were all in the lounge room, including my friend's friend who was on the couch. The kitchen was right near the lounge room, so you could hear everything that went on in there. Anyway, I kept saying that it was my boyfriend who was moving the glass because it was. But, the third time I said it, a loud noise was heard in the kitchen. It sounded as if someone was messing around with the knives and forks. After that, we stopped immediately.

After that, again, there were no incidents. I even went overseas to Portugal, and nothing happened. This was in February 2012. When I came back, my mother was living in another city, Hobart, and over the past few months, I would go to visit her, and everything was fine. The last time I was there, however, something strange happened. I am the kind of person to leave the television on as I sleep as it helps me feel safer from things that go bump in the night. Now, I live in Australia, and if you are not from here you won't know what channels I'm talking about, but I will mention them anyway as they are vital to the story.

Anyway, I left the TV on channel ELEVEN. That is the name of the channel. I like sitcoms and such when it comes to television, and that channel has sitcoms playing all night, so I left it on there. I went to sleep, and I slept all night. The next morning, I woke up to find the TV on channel SBS, which is a channel I do not enjoy and never watch. I am telling you this because the same thing happened to me this morning, and that is what made me write this ghost story. I left it on channel ELEVEN, and this time I woke up to find it on channel 7.

So, if anyone can tell me what is going on, that would be great because I do not really appreciate living in fear. I haven't seen any shadows or ghostly figures or anything, though. Everything ghostly that has happened, I have mentioned above. Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pipsrose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ruby_Rose90 (1 stories) (12 posts)
8 years ago (2014-02-11)
hey I know its been 2 years but if your ever on again, please send me a message? I'm also from Launceston and would love to hear from you:)
Dhruvika_6543 (1 posts)
10 years ago (2012-06-06)
Wow, I Wish I Had Experienced All That, It Sounds Very Interesting. 😆
karl408 (1 stories) (1 posts)
10 years ago (2012-06-05)
im not sure but I was wondering if you sleep with the remote in your bed?
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
10 years ago (2012-06-04)
I don't know what's going on, but whatever it is it doesn't sound malevolent... Yet. Sounds more like it's just trying to get your attention. You could try gently but firmly telling whatever it is to stop playing tricks on you and interfering with your things. However, if you have noticed an escalation in activity following the ouija board incident, you may be dealing with something worse, in which case you should seek advice from a spiritual advisor or reputable paranormal investigator. Most people on this site agree it is dangerous to mess around with ouija boards. Also, as your boyfriend was drunk he was particularly susceptible to bad things. I don't recommend fooling around with ouija boards or amateur seances or the like in future. I hope this helps.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: