You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Tenant In The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Tenant In The Basement

 

For the last year or so there have been strange things occurring in my home. Whether or not my roommates notice, I'm not sure, but I do. I've begun to realize these occurrences may be connected to something from my childhood, but I'll get back to that.

It started in the summer of 2011. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened in my life, but at home I began to notice strange things. A tapping sound at our basement window in the middle of the night, hangers swinging in my closet of their own accord, items vanishing to reappear somewhere implausible, brand new light bulbs burning out and something shifting in my closet in the middle of the night, as if it were alive.

Being the type of person I am, I kept a mental note of all of it but convinced myself it was nothing. Things were quiet for a while, until one afternoon in the early fall of 2011 I was sitting at my desk working when I heard a strange sound. My desk stands three to four inches off the floor and is right up against the corner of two outside facing walls. The sound was as if someone was swishing water around in their mouth, and it was most definitely coming from beneath my desk. I got up and looked beneath, but of course nothing was there. I asked my roommate if there were any pipes under that portion of my room and he said there weren't.

That was when things began to escalate. I began to hear footsteps on the stairs and in the hall in the middle of the night. Lights burned out only when I was alone in the house. I had the feeling of someone touching my hair multiple times. My friend received terrifying nightmares after making fun of it (I also received frightening nightmares). A strange humming sound would fill the house from time to time in the middle of the night that our electrician couldn't explain. Another friend heard footsteps coming up behind her when no one was there, as if she were being rushed at. I would wake up with bruises I couldn't explain. I heard a strange, swine-like sound outside my door. I heard something pacing in my room in the middle of the night. The toaster in my kitchen would pop up on it's own. My roommate would wake up at 3AM almost every morning for no reason. My cat would react in fear to something that I couldn't see and finally, I heard it whisper my name from just outside my door.

These events only happened at night at first, but eventually they occurred during the day. They happen when I'm alone, but on rare occasion friends will hear something too. My friend who had the frightening nightmares is a sensitive and has felt it multiple times. She says it often resides in one of two rooms in the basement or right outside my doorway. Her friend sent me prayer cards and a crucifix, which I placed in my room and have helped to keep the activity out of there.

The events listed above still happen on and off. It will go for period of one week up to a month where nothing happens and then suddenly multiple lights will burn out at once and I'll feel something or hear something. Even now as I write this I can hear something moving in the basement, and just yesterday a light, which contains three light bulbs, burned out in the basement hallway.

As for my childhood, things have happened to me since I can remember. I used to see the shadow figure of a man in a hat in the bathroom and my sister used to see a figure walking down the hall towards our bedroom. A strange entity came to our house one Halloween night when my Mom was alone, spoke a guttural, strange language and tried to force it's way in, but of course she tells herself it was someone in an elaborate mask. She also said that when she was pregnant with me she woke up almost every night at 3AM and couldn't figure out why, much like my roommate. After we moved from California to Minnesota my sister and I heard something scratching at our front door, but when I opened it nothing was there. I've also heard voices in the basement having conversations, but it occurs often and never changes, so I believe that's residual.

I don't know what to think. I'm not sure if what I experienced as a child has anything to do with what I'm experiencing now. I'm also not sure how to label what's happening lately. I haven't had the house cleansed and I haven't had anyone over to investigate. I'm afraid it may be worse than a spirit, but this isn't my area of expertise. I was hoping someone here might know what's going on and could lend some insight.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Asher0719, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Asher0719 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Thanks to both of you for your comments. I was worried this was the way it had turned, and hearing it from people who know what they're talking about only confirms that. I'll do what I have to to get my house blessed as soon as possible.
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Asher0719:
Your friend received terrifying nightmares after making fun of it you also received frightening nightmares. You heard a strange, swine-like sound outside your door. Anytime you hear this type of animal i.e. Pig, it is a very bad thing, it is beyond just being a bad or mean human spirit, most western churches take that manifestation as a demonic. Whatever your religious beliefs are get your place blessed, because it sounds like it's moving in to stay. And do it soon.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
Hmmm Asher0719, something is definitely wanting your undivided attention, what stands out to me is the pig like noise and the bruises you have received, this does sound rather negative and dark in my opinion. What is the history of the house and land do you know?

Your obviously sensitive to spirits and whatever this is seems to definitely know it.
I would suggest peforming a cleansing of some sort, Rookdygin's on this site is a definite must for the house and yourself.

Your story has been spotted by a few of the other regular posters here and I can assure you will get a lot of handy advice. All the best to you.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: