You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Saw My Old Friend, But Had No Idea He Had Died

Real Ghost Stories

Saw My Old Friend, But Had No Idea He Had Died

 

I'm Lauren, from Cape Town. So great to see locals here too! I'm new to this site, and am enjoying reading all the stories and experiences. Here is my experience of not seeing a ghost, but rather a visit from an old friend.

I was around 12 years old (24 now). My dad had fetched my from school, in Pinelands, and we were driving home. I remember driving past the canal (those who know the area will now where I am talking about) - a bridge over a long canal in the area, to those that don't. Walking on the sidewalk was an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in about a year or so, Nathaniel (we used to live in the same complex, spent time together everyday. I remember once he even took me under a tree outside his house and kissed me on the cheek. We were just friends, and very young, but I had a strong fondness of him).

Anyway, so I saw him walking, in his school uniform, with his bag on his back, and as we drove past he waved at me and smiled. I waved back, so happy to see him again, and I recall saying, "Hey, there's Nathaniel," but don't think my dad heard me.

When I got into my mother's house, where I was being dropped, I rushed to my mom to tell her that I had just seen Nathaniel now, as she also knew him well when we stayed at our old complex. She then looked at me and waited until my dad had left. She then took me to her room, and was very sad. She picked up a printed photo of Nataniel with text, and it looked like that of a memorial invite. I didn't understand and was like, "but I just saw him." She then explained to me that it was a few weekends ago, while I was at my dad's house, that Nathaniel had been away with his friend and friend's father at some power line place, and he had gone up to one of the power lines, touched it and was shocked to death. It is a horrific thing to have happened to him and his family... And for the friend's father I am sure.

It was apparently his funeral that weekend, and they had just received the invite. (She had phoned to send her condolences, and his dad told my mother what had happened.)

It was weird at the time for me to wrap my head around it, as I had never lost anyone close to me. I still know that we had a special bond, and that he had come back to say goodbye. I will never forget that, and can still remember every detail of seeing him.

Anyone have any of these experiences?

Other hauntings by ashville

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ashville, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-30)
Ashville
First of all welcome to YGS. I enjoyed your story very much. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend at such a young age.
I have had dreams of going on train rides to a boat or plane with relatives that I had not seen in years. This happened at least 5 times in my adult life. When we got to the destination where they were going to get onto the boat or plane they got solemn and got off the train. If I tried to get off the train they would say that I could not go with them because it was not my time for the trip. Within a week I learned that they died. The last time this happened I told my mother to call her aunt as I did not have her number. My mother asked why and I had to tell her that I had a dream that her uncle was going to die. She got mad at me I don't know why as her uncle was elderly and already had at least one stroke. She called her aunt and found out that her uncle was in the hospital and it didn't look like he was going to live much longer. He died within days.

Also when I was in my early 20's before I started dating my husband there was a nice guy that I liked a lot. He liked me a lot too but refused to date me. His reason was he knew he was going to die soon. He wasn't ill but he knew he didn't have much longer to live. When I started dating I dropped most of my male friends. I had not seen the guy I liked in a couple of weeks, he knew that I was asked out by someone else and he was genuinely happy for me. He did not drive and I asked him to come to my house for a little New Years Eve get together. He wanted to go to a party at a bar anyway. He was walking home from the bar which he lived quite far away from and was run over by two drunk drivers who were never caught. He was right when he had told me months before that he didn't have long to live. It hit me hard that he died so young. But if he had not pushed me away I don't think I would be with my wonderful husband or have my 3 adult children.
RomanRose (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
That was so sweet of him to appear to let you know he was ok. I have had MANY experiences with spirit since childhood (they like me and connect 😉) and could tell you many stories! As far as this situation is concerned, something that happened to my grandma pops into mind. When grandma was young and married, one day she was walking home from groceries and saw one of grandpa's card gambling buddies just standing against the wall of a building, all serious, didn't say a word; he always greeted her kindly. So, upset, she went home. When grandpa came home, she complained about his friend. "What's wrong with your friend Bob?" she asked. "I walked past him on the street today and he just stared at me, didn't say hello or anything. How rude of him!" Grandpa looked wide eyed at her and said, "What do you mean Irene? Bob was stabbed to death last night in a back alley after a card game went wrong."
1spooky (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-23)
I have had a similar experience but not pleasant. I will make it short. I left an area seaside OR for a couple years. I went back and was walking next to a popular street and saw a friend in the back of a car, he looked sick. He stared at me with a evil grin. I then walked in to kfc, saw another friend (shawn). I said I just saw slug, his nickname, then shanw made an odd pause and just said, brandon is dead, he died in a car crash. We then got some beer and went on the beach. The car I saw him in was not the make or model he died in. But the look he had when he saw me was disturbing. I am new to sharing accounts, and hope I didn't break any etiquette.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
ashville, nice experience. I did not have the experience but my dad had. I narrated in my story "my mother's farewell". The bonding, love and affection always stays and even beyond death. Sorry for the loss and thanks for sharing your experience.
mrfear672india (106 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
He surely came there to say goodbye.

Thanks for sharing story.
RandyR (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
Great story thanks!

Just remembered a story my mother has told me. One night when she was young she had a strange dream of one of her best friends. When she later woke up with a warm and nice felling that her friend gave her in the dream suddenly her father opened the door and throw the newspaper on the ground. This was something that he newer had done before and never again did. In the newspaper there was an article about a young girl dying in a car accident. No names or addresses where given in the article but my mother understood directly that her friend was the girl from article. And this was later confirmed.
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
I just want to say how great it is to be able to share these kinds of experiences and get the needed support and aknowledgement (spelling?). Kamui, your story sounds very similar to mine, and hearing these things make you very aware of how real these things feel to you, even when the person to you can't see a thing at all!

Sorry for your loss too Lady glow, and thanks for the welcome:) That defonitely sounds like he was trying to send you a message through a dream, or you were having a premonition of sorts. Dreams in general for me can be soo confusing sometimes. Like you wonder... Was that just a dream... Or was that something a little deeper than that. Sometimes I have dreams that just feel so "close" but I know they are not signs or anything like that. Like for instance, I sold my horse about 6months ago, and miss him loads, luckily I get to see him almost every few weeks or more because the girl is fine with me visiting him. I saw him on the weekend, and it was nice. Last night though, I can't remember what I dreamt about, but I could feel him...there, so close, like he was "talking" I can't explain it, but It just felt like he was so "wise" so to say. I had him for 8years and got him when he was a pipsqueak, so go figure) Guess I miss him more than I thought.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Ashville:

Welcome to YGS.

I'm sorry for your loss.
It was really nice to see Nathaniel just the way you remembered him and smiling while saying good bye... And showing you that we are more than a body, and after death, friendship and love still exist.

Some time ago I had a dream in which one of my uncles asked me to sing a song "Adios, muchachos" (Good bye my fellows) that talks about a man saying good bye to his friends just before his death. I woke up in the morning and, later that day my Mom called to tell me that my uncle had passed away that morning.
Well, I really didn't see him, but I think he came to tell me he was leaving this world.

I like your story, thank you for sharing.
kamui (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Same thing happened to me, I was just like 9 years old, young and naive and just I was playing in our backyard, I heard my lolo (grandfather) and he was calling me by my pet name, he was smiling and it looked to me he was taunting me to chase him, so I did, after running him into the corner, he was gone. I immediately told my mom what has happened that I saw lolo. She then burst into tears and explained what had really happened. Though our home was miles away from our grandfather's house and she just have received the news from our relatives that time.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
It's really sad how he died. I saw the image, and that's so brutal. I'm glad he came and said goodbye before he departed though. That was very sweet.

Thank you for sharing
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Hey Shellzy. Nope, don't think he did, he was just driving. He never stayed with us when I lived there with my mom, so he didn't really know him anyways.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Hi ashville

That's a great story. Very sad but also wonderful that your friend was able to say goodbye.

You mentioned your dad was driving, just wondering if he saw your friend as well?

Thanks for sharing 😊
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Thanks guys:) Yeah, It was defonitely a good feeling seeing him, and I know he is at rest. It's weird how these things happen, like with tigerlillys story.
Its great to be able to share ones experiences with others and get good feedback. Will have some more stories soon.x
michelle4551 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
That was so sweet. That a loved one came to you just to say goodbye. 😊
Hitsugaya_Toshiro_ice (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
He saying goodbye also prove that he has high fondness to you too.
It is good to see your friend waving at you to say goodbye, so you don't have to worry about him
He told you he already happy ^w^
Tigerlilly19 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
Something smiliar happened to my dad, but he didn't see the person. My dad was in college and lived in an apartment. Then, all of a sudden the lights turned off and he started to hear sounds. He told me he got really scared. Since he was scared he decided to go to his parent's house, but then they weren't home. So he called his brother, and his brother told him their cousin had died. I guess my dad's cousin was saying goodbye to my dad since they were best buds.
thenpea5 (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
i am so sorry god bless him and you. I wonder if he still likes you so that is why he came back oh god bless him and you.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
Its a comfort seeing that a departed friend is happy and not suffering, as in his passing. I think that might be their driving motive in appearing to us. That., of course, and just wanting to say goodbye.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: