You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: One Jolly Fellow

Real Ghost Stories

One Jolly Fellow

 

I don't think I have the sensitivity to sense the paranormal but I'm a believer. That is why this story I'm about to tell is very particular because it happened to me. When we were in high school, me and my sister would hang out in our cousin's place in Sampaloc, Manila. My mom loved coming here because her sister is here, that and she could play tong-its (card game) to whoever would be available to play with around the neighborhood.

One day, we just learned that one of the players just died from gunshot wound, died on the spot. He is very familiar to my mom because he was one of the regulars. Lets call him Juan. And so the news broke and everyone was surprised, but at that time the body was not released in the hospital yet, under investigation I guess. Since the neighborhood was so close altogether among the residents, they decided to set up the wake in the barangay hall (hall where community officials would hold meetings).

So, again, it was back in the 90's and there were no texting yet. So one time, I was talking to my classmate over the phone when there was a call wait. Thinking it's another friend, I picked up the waiting call. It was a guy and a very jolly one. I said, "Hello?" and he answered, "Hello! Magandang hapon po!" (Hello, good afternoon) in a very jolly tone that I imitated and answered him back "magandang hapon din!" Then he said, "Pwede kay Manang Maria (not my real mom's name)?" (Can I speak with Maria?) Then I asked "Sino 'to? (Who's this?) " He answered, "Si Juan (This is Juan) " And I was shocked!

I put the phone away from my ear from fear of hearing something else and I called for my mom, asking her to hurry pick up the phone. My mom was asking who the caller was but I didn't want to say it because first, I wanted to check if he would talk to her and introduce himself; second, I'm thinking maybe the instant I mention his name, the line would be dead and my mom would think I'm talking way too much on the phone; and third, I was so scared! So my mom picked up the phone and said, "Hello?" and she was smiling. Then I heard her asked, "sino to?" and after that, her jaw dropped and she just kept saying, "Hello? Hello?" Then she put down the phone.

She just looked at me and we were just quiet for a minute. I asked if he introduced himself and she said yes. Their conversation went like this:

MOM: Hello?

Man: Manang! Tong-its na! (Sister, let's play tong-its)

Mom: sino to?

Man: si Juan

Then the line went dead.

I was about to cry because I was so scared and my mom saw how scared I looked that day. The next day we went to my cousin's neighborhood and my mom started asking questions: if someone called, who's playing pranks, but all the guys said why would they do such thing and disrespect the dead? And no one knew of our house number except my Aunt.

Juan's friend and used-to-be housemate was going back from province to their place when he saw Juan standing by Espana and smiled at him. He smiled back. Then when he was near their apartment and saw the wake, he asked who died. And they answered, "It's Juan." And he said,

It couldn't be, he just saw him a minute ago. And he went straight to the wake and saw him lying there.

The elderlies said it could've been because of the sudden death that Juan didn't know he passed. But that was it and after the burial, there were no more stories.

Other hauntings by duwag

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, duwag, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Ghostbuscus (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-16)
It is possible for spirits to communicate to humans in this way... But if its only a prank, that would be funny for the pranker that you nearly cried 😆

Peace 😊 😊
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-02)
Hahaha napadaan ako dito at naalala ko na naman ang story na to. 😁
I'm such a scaredy-cat too but I get over it after I get some sleep. Hohoh 😉
duwag (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
[at] mrfear from india: I didn't say I cried... I was about t0 haha! Your guess is as good as mine. If it was a prank... Its a good one. Otherwise, I have heard stories too about deceased loved ones calling or can be heard over the phone. I don't think I have mentioned mobile phone. Its a land line, with wires and all. Thanks for your comment and for reading!:)
karpkarpkarpmagikarp (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
maraming ganyan cases here in our country, yung mga spirits either naghahanap ng justice sa death nila or hindi lang nila ma-accept yung truth, that they are dead.
duwag (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
Thanks for the the welcome! And the comments as well!:)
[at] HO5: thank you!
[at] Sahee: so glad was not able to see 'them' haha! But its creepy! But I'm a believer that they exist and I am glad I am unable to see them.:) That's why this experience is amazing/scary!:)
[at] lady-glow: thank you for the welcome! I love/scared of this website! Haha!
[at] javelina: haha! No were not crazy (or were we?) hahah! Thanks for the welcome!:)
[at] mhannerism: hahaha! Thank you caller ID!:D I am duwag by nature! After reading stories here, I cannot be by myself! Haha! But I looove scary stories! >.<
[at] JS: I hope so too.

Thanks! I have heard lots of stories and I will write them here:) btw, I'm a ms... Well, mrs.:)
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-06)
It's sad that he didn't know he passed away. I have a question about that though. I think it would depend how he got shot, for him not knowing he passed away. Maybe, he blocked it out on purpose, and he just wanted to play cards with his good friend. I still find it sad, either way. I hope he moved on after the funeral. Thank you for sharing.

JS aka Brandon 😊
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
What the hell! Its 3am here already!
That scared the hell out of me! >.<
Na-paranoid ako bigla. This story made me don't want to answer anonymous calls. X.X
And your name is funny. In a cute way! Don't get offended! Bakit yan po ang name mo? 😊
Sahee (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
Mr. Fear... I don't know if your a believer because your here in YGS.
In any case, spirits can communicate tRu mobiLe... Thats I believe.
Peace.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
duwag,
I have no doubt it was Juan on the line. The idea that he might not have realized he was dead is not so far fetched. If that was the case, and he was wandering about as if nothing happened, he could have innocently walked right through all the assumptions we have about spirit communication and simply picked up the phone and called her up. It could be his not knowing that made it possible.
We assume we know what a spirit is and isn't capable of. I have yet to see a list of rules that has stood the test of time in these matters. All we can do is theorize about what it is truly like on the other side.
I have experienced something similar to this myself. And when it happens to you, believe me, it is very real.
Thank you for sharing this duwag. You are very fortunate to have experienced this with your mother.
You both can't be crazy, right? 😜

Jav 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
This is a very interesting story, I agree with what the elders say.

Thank you for sharing and welcome to YGS. 😊

This comment from mrfear672india is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Sahee (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
Alam mo, ganito din ung nangyari nung namatay ang ksma namin sa trbho...
Mrmi ang nkakita sa kanya habang ppsok ng compound pero d nman pumasok sa production...
Then later that day tumawag ung sis nya... Nkita xang nkabigti sa kwarto... Creepy.
H05VV-F (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
Beautiful story I would have been creeped out if I got a call like that. I think Juan appeared because he wanted to say goodbye for the last time.
Very good story.
Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: