You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Mid-summer's Night Hellhound

Real Ghost Stories

A Mid-summer's Night Hellhound

 

It has taken me quite a while to work up the resolve to type this story. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jedidiah. I am 28 and I live in American Canyon, CA.

This story is not a ghost story, at least I don't think it is, but it is an account of my first brush with the paranormal. I am a firm believer in the paranormal, I always have been, and one day my belief was fortified. That day was when I saw, what I believe to be a hellhound.

This occurrence took place 3 days after my 25th birthday (about middle of summer). It was a brisk night in my home town of American Canyon. While walking home from the local market I hear this deafening howl. Then I catch a glimpse of what I thought was a large dog. I assumed it was just one of the many stray dogs in my neighborhood, but as I continued, I saw the same large dog. This time I got a better look at it. I was unnerved because of the dog's size and appearance. It was about the size of a small bear. The build of the dog was like that of a Rottweiler, with fur that was the darkest black I've ever seen, like it was made of pure shadows, with piercing, glowing, red eyes; eyes that seemed to peer into my soul. The dog's torso was tangled in what looked like barbed wire. After I saw it, the dog then darted away with incredible speed.

At this point I was quite scared. I continued on my way home and I found myself dreading each corner, fearing another sighting of this hellish creature. I had almost made it home when the beast appeared again. This time it stood directly in my path. I was frozen with fear, hair standing up on end and I close my eyes fearing an attack. It starts to growl, a deep, rumbling, growl; one that I felt deep in my soul, one that threatens to turn my legs to Jell-O. I don't know what compelled me to do so but, I started praying, to the Lord and Jesus Christ in Heaven, to make this beast leave, but the growling intensified, it seemed as if the growl just pulsated through my mind doing everything in its power to get me to stop praying. I continued to pray, I just prayed, and prayed, and prayed. As I continued to pray, the growl slowly dissipated. When I finally opened my eyes, all that was left was scorch marks where the dog stood.

I was terrified and shaking as I rushed home and locked the door, but when I turn around I am greeted by a pitch black dog, but this one I am sure means me no harm. It is my black Labrador, Mia.

After the night I had, I just wanted nothing more than to relax and think about what happened, so I turn on the TV for some background noise and when it starts up I see a show on Animal Planet called lost tapes. The episode was about hellhounds, and what they were describing sounded eerily similar to what I encountered.

To this day I have yet to see the same dog, or another like it. So this begs the question... What did I see? A hellhound, a spectral creature, some sort of demon? I never will know; but then again I'm not sure I want to.

I have a few other unrelated experiences with the paranormal that I may post at a later date. I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm ready to relive those experiences by writing them down yet.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lucivar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KuraiJonetsu (1 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-09-27)
Yes,this description is correct. Hellhounds do in fact look like that, and they are existent in two realms, the earthen realm, and the spiritual realm. Hellhounds can be owned, as I own one, and many creatures and beings on this website can be owned. You aren't crazy, or confused. You actually saw a hellhound in the earthen realm! HOW LUCKY OF YOU!
Lucivar (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
[at] Scarlettsnowe My great grandmother died in 2003 that was the nearest death to the sighting.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-24)
Dear scarlettsnowe,

I am afraid your comments and queries shall remain unanswered, because Javelina is no longer on this forum.
You may check her profile to be sure.

Regards
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Lucivar sounds like Lucifer, the name of the devil according to Christians. There is also a religion called Luciferianism. I don't know anything about it, but that could be what Javelina (?) was referring to. Maybe they thought you were either satanist or luciferian. It's a valid assumption, given your screen name.
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
[at] Javelina, if you really are about finding truth, please consider this- just because an idea seems to be a romantic notion doesn't mean it is. If it really did happen, he was the one that witnessed it. I believe a person's intuition, while sometimes faulty, can tell someone a lot about the reality of a situation. I always tell people that from my experience if a being scares you there is probably a reason. If it was some sort of spirit, and if it really happened, it was probably emitting a whole lot of negative energy, which he might have picked up on. It's at least possible.
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
[at] whitewolf, since this story had happened 3 years ago, I suppose the question is, did someone he knew die?

So, did they?

This comment from InspiredByHawthorn is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

ArriannaSharde (7 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-17)
I find it interesting that most the people commenting on this, are denying the fact this being/creature could be a demon or hellhound... I am not saying it had to be however. As far as hellhounds go, they often will have metal on them and often have wounds or scars, or flames. They are messengers, and loyal protectors to those they guard. Meaning if it was a hellhound, it was there to warn you of something. If it was a warning, you would not necessarily see it again.
Lucivar (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
I meant " It's about a mile and a half from my house I have haven't seen it again..." my bad
Lucivar (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
hey Grimdog, the thing is that I've been living in this town since I was 2, I often walk to the store even to this day, it is maybe 1 and half miles from my house and I've never seen it, if it was just the spirit of an injured animal then wouldn't I have seen it again? Just a question.
Grimdog (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
I have heard many accounts of hellhounds dragging a chain, but never warped in barb wire before quite intriguing.
It could be a injured animal, it could be a ghost of a injured animal or it could be a hellhound, if you see it again I recommend calling the humane society just incase it is a living injured animal.

If its a hellhound I wouldn't be afraid of it, there not any more evil then any other spirit, they seem more protectors then destroyers, usually.
Lucivar (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
It is possible what I saw could be explained, as a completely normal thing. However, I cannot simply shrug my shoulders and say that what I saw wasn't paranormal. Perhaps it was just a Newfoundland dog that was in my neighborhood, maybe it was just "trick in the light". Javelina you have some completely valid suggestions and you are right I will believe what I want, however I did NOT post this story looking only for validation of my own theory I did it to see other people's views of my encounter, and as far as my screen name is concerned I have used this name for a long time for many different sites, as far as I know there is nothing religious affiliated with it. Please I only ask that you do not judge me so quickly.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Yeah, it was more a of prop to bring attention to the size of the animal. 😆 But I did believe (fall for) the exaggerated size and the "rare breed" monicker. Attempting to make a point about tagging dogs as Hell Hounds. I was initially drawn to this for his description of the animal. Then I read the "scorch marks" assertion and could bear it no longer.
Apologies for the mis-referrence of the photo and article. That being said, these are still massive creatures. Optical illusion or not. They are one big giant cuddly ball of love!
However, I still would like to point out that the information about the red glow in the eyes of dogs that are bred for hunting is accurate. And that is something I have seen in descriptions of K9s that others would use as proof to the Hell Hound theory when it is nothing of the sort.
Just a heads up on the Red Eyes claim.

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Lucivar: I have to agree that this sounds like a stray animal... You said its torso appeared to be wrapped with some kind of barbed wire... I took the liberty of Googling your home town, and it seems like a very small place, and seems to be surrounded by vinyards and farmland...It's not hard to think that someone in the area, and I'm saying within a 10-15 mile radius, may have been missing a pet... The use of barbed wire isn't unheard of to keep animals (and humans) in or out of rural properties...

Injured animals become very defensive, they have to portray themselves as being meaner than they actually are to avoid further injury in their already weakened state...

But, sorry Jave, the link you provided is from snopes (another of my favorite sites 😆)...The description states that the picture, though not faked or photoshopped, is indeed an optical illusion caused by the position of the camera person, and the location of both the animal and the person... These dogs are HUGE, but not that big 😆...

I think by your description, Lucivar, that the animal was possibly a Rottweiler, or even a Pit Bull, and your fear or the lighting in the area made it seem much larger...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Lucivar,
So... You did look at that photo? And you do realize that dog's size as compared to the human standing next to it? And from the description, did you notice that this breed of Newfoundland is larger than your average Newfoundland Hound? You do acknowledge that dogs can be shaved back for warmer weather? My neighbor shaves his Chows every summer. And do you know if there is a difference in the way the eyes glow/reflect light between dogs bred to hunt and those that are not? Because there is a difference, especially in dogs that hunt at night. These can and do glow red.
Basing your theory on the information you have provided, and without being receptive to the possible alternatives, suggests you do not want these facts to get in the way of what you want this animal to represent. However, being a dog lover, and having dogs a part my life since birth, puts me at odds with your theory. There isn't a thing here that I cannot offer a competing theory for. The only difference that is important is that I have documented proof and centuries of science to back me up.
If you merely wanted it to be a Hell Hound without being questioned at all, this was the wrong place to post. I am of the mind that the Hell Hound is what it has always been. A Myth. Would you really believe there was a woman like Medusa living among us? She is also a Myth. I no more believe in women with serpents as hair styles than I do of a Hound that leaves scorch marks in his wake.


Jav

Hell Hounds and Demon Cats! PLEASE!
Lucivar (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
jav, I said what I said with all due respect, I am open to any other possibilities, and I realize you were the one that posted the link to the Newfoundland dog which by the way post states that they tend to stand at about 28 inches tall at the shoulder and the one I saw had to be about 34-36 inches at the shoulder also the "dog" I saw had short fur and piercing, glowing red eyes. Also in my last comment I was responding to majesticpickle's comment.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Very scary, indeed. I'm just happy that you made it home safe and sound. There have been some good points made here and I suggest that take a look into it. I'm actually going to do the same. I have actually heard a few hell hound stories here and I always wondered about it.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Lucivar,
I am the one that left the photo of the dog. If you have looked at it you will notice how massive they are. They are also very agile for their size and were bred for hunting bear. Also, simply that you had no knowledge of anyone in your area owning a Newfoundland, does not make it impossible for you to have seen one. It was running free, which indicates this may have been a lost or abandoned pet.
From the screen name you have chosen and your refusal to even consider the possibility of this being a case of mistaken identity, I can only surmise you are merely looking for validation of your own theory as that of a Hellhound. And though it may be a romantic notion, it is nevertheless unrealistic.
Scorch marks? Please. We are about finding the truth to situations such as you have described, not validation for something you refuse to accept as anything but what you wish it to be. I am sorry to have to be so blunt about this, and of course this is merely my own opinion, I am sure you will go with what suits you in the end.

Jav
Lucivar (1 stories) (16 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
[at] rook I don't know if the scorch marks were from the creature or not and I didn't want to leave out any possibly helpful details so I put it in there. [at] majesticpickles I know my neighborhood and I know that no Newfoundland dogs lived around me at the time. [at] reaper I suppose that what you said could explain it's appearance, all I know is that it scared the living daylights out of me. I appreciate all of the helpful comments. 😊
Reaper666343 (9 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Well I may not know of the black dog of death, but there have been things known as Grims... I know they mention them in Harry Potter etc but there are real myth about them, however they do not always mean death. This one could have been telling you not to go that way... Or someone was going to die... It could have been protecting you... I know that may sound crazy... But try to look at it from both ends:P
majesticpickles (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
It was most likely a newfoundland dog! They are massive!Lol. They were actually bred to hunt bears:)
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Lucivar...Thanks for sharing your story I enjoyed reading it... I am from England but I have never heard of the black dog of death. I'm not trying to contradict the other posters comments but maybe it's an old wives tale that's more famous in other countries or perhaps it's a story that no one has shared with me (despite my fascination with spirit and the paranormal no one in my family has much interest) and yes Newfoundlands are fantastic dogs a friend of mine had 2 when I was a kid and the male dog who was called Trooper was twice the size of Jess the female. Your story made me think of a chupacabra (sorry if I misspelt it)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Aren't they just the most massive things you ever got to be close to without worrying about getting eaten? If I was back in the mountains I would love to have one. The thing about Newfies is their agility. It's surprising how easily they manipulate through heavy terrain. Simply magnificent animals

Jav
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
When I worked at a groom shop several years ago, we had a Newfie named Pinky that would come in once a month for a bath and have her undercoat combed out. She was a rare grey color, and I believe they said she came from a breeder over seas. I am 5'4 and her shoulders came to my ribcage. She would jump up on the drying table with no problem, but holy cow she was LARGE! They are such glorious, loving, wonderful dogs, but I don't think I could ever own one myself. Not sure I could handle it.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Jav: I know what you mean, I hate seeing dogs struggling to breathe. It's really humid in St.louis.

Lol, I love that movie too. That one kid who says, 'yeah! Yeah!', cracks me up. 😆

JS aka Brandon 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Yer killin' me JS!
This isn't "The Beast" from the Sandlot, at least not the first movie. One of my favorite movies of all time by the way. 😁

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
JS,
I've always wanted to own a Newfoundland. My mother raised pedigree Danes. I just love big dogs! But where I live is simply too hot to justify bringing a breed like that here. It upsets me to see St Bernards here too. Too hot!

Jav
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Jav: I think that's the dog from the disney movie 'Sandlot'. What in the world, that dog is huge! I'll be thinking about this article the whole day. I'll probably mention it to every person I come across, haha. Thank you for sharing that link.

JS aka Brandon 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Lucivar,
Do me a favor and check out this photo.

Http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/newfoundland.asp

These dogs are massive. When I read this account, the first thing that came to mind was the Newfoundland Hound. They were bred to hunt bear. They also dwarf the St Bernard in mass and stature. But trust me, they are not Hellhounds.
The growling you heard would surely sound as fierce as you describe if it came from the chest of this magnificent creature. I describe my own dogs growls in similar terms because of the way the air almost pushes that sound into your ears. You can feel the pressure of it on your entire body. Comparable to having turned up the bass too far on a stereo.
Just offering up an alternative to the Hellhound theory/myth.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Interesting 'tale'. Interesting indeed. Here's a couple of links that relate to what you may have seen that day...

Http://www.cprs.co.uk/phantomhounds.html

And while not always reliable I find wikipedia can serve as a good 'starting point' for research...

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck

The scorch marks that were left behind are an interesting detail in this experience... Could they have been from something else and you just happened to notice them because of this experience? I ask because I'm curious...I've seen scratches on people... And of course a poltergeist can break plates on occasion but a 'spirit/entity' leaving behind physical evidence of it's 'departure' is something that I am unfamiliar with.

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: