You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Late-night Pool Party In Mid-winter

Real Ghost Stories

Late-night Pool Party In Mid-winter

 

My spouse & I had just moved into an apt complex in Ontario, Oregon, a month prior & were sitting in our living room, reading. We're middle-aged, and interested in paranormal, but never thought something this bizarre would occur in such an nondescript spot.

The complex was set up with the 4 buildings facing the center where the fenced-in pool area was. It being winter, the pool was emptied as winters in Eastern Oregon are frigid at BEST, and brutally cold.

This was in late February-early March of 2012. The air was crisp and clear, the temperature around the 20s Fahrenheit. It was approximately 10pm, and we heard conversation outside. Paying no heed, we continued reading. But as time went by, it seemed more people were appearing to 'join in' the conversation. After 1/2 hr, it seemed a lively 'party' was taking place. We looked up, quizzically commenting on the oddity of the time and temperature, but soon returned to our books. After another 10-15 minutes, it grew exponentially louder & louder. It sounded as though 15-20 people were outside, talking and laughing and generally having a good time.

We sat there frowning at one-another until finally, my husband got up and walked to the door and stepped outside. Oddly, as soon as the door opened, all went deathly silent. He stepped out, and shut the door behind him to keep the warm air in and the frigid air out. He was gone for a few minutes, and walked back in with a look of incredulity on his face.

He thought maybe someone had been on a balcony and we'd heard the echoes, so he walked out to the fenced-in area of the pool, and looked all-around at the darkened apartments of our obviously sleeping neighbors. No people, no doors open, no light-on, even! It seemed that WE were the only people even awake at that time.

Was this a residual 'haunting'? A replay of a summer's evening from the past going through the motions of a time-gone-by? We never experienced this again, but I found it worthy of retelling here in this forum, and my hair tingles as I type...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Femaelstrom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
Awesome story! 😁 Have you heard or seen anything else paranormal while living there?
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Amihet,no worries. My full nic could possibly permanently tie one's fingers in knots 😆Just use Val - shorter and easier 😉. But thank you kindly for the apology.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
This is one of those experiences that I keep thinking I've had, too, only I brushed it aside. That happens to me so often when I'm reading something here. Must be a name for that phenomenon.

Anyway, great telling of a truly puzzling event. Thanks for sharing with us.
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Valkricry- sorry I spelled your name wrong in the previous post.
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Hi Valcrikry- I remember an episode of the ghost-hunters when they were investigating a former psy. Hospital or mental institution when Grant and his partner heard and it was also recordered on their voice recorder 3 distinct male voices. One spirit was asking the others if they could see the investigators and they replied yes. There was a bit more but I can't remember now. So you might be right, they are aware of each other and they sometimes stay in groups. Who's to say that they don't party.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Now THAT was interesting. You both heard it, so that rules out imagination. If it was residual, I'm thinking you should witness it again at some point. On the other hand, who's to say that 'intelligent' ghosties don't get together now and then? 😉
Thank you for sharing.
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
That is crazy, loved your story and I don't have a clue as to what it could be. Thank you for sharing your crazy experience.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
I'm thinking it might be a replay of a summer party, what I call a "time slip bleed through". I believe mass hauntings occur more when there's been sudden death due to war, disease, natural disaster. This sounds like a replay of a happy experience. What I find interesting is how in so many of these instances it stops when we go investigate. That might have something to do with the power of attention.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
Femaelstrom - intriguing story. I've had similar situations occur and they always make me go, "Huh?" and probably a few other questions thrown in there for good measure 😉

I hate assuming things so I'll ask instead. Did you and/or your husband ever hear or see anything else? Party-wise or otherwise?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: