You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: First Home

Real Ghost Stories

First Home

 

This is a bit weird to type as I have never really believed in this short of thing until about 8 hours ago. Last week my girlfriend and I bought out first home and moved everything in. We have spent 2 nights actually sleeping there so far. The first night went really well, but we were so tired from moving we basically hit the bed and fell asleep.

Well last night is a bit of a different story. We have 2 bedrooms across from each other then a hallway which leads to a bathroom and a pantry and the entrance to the living room and kitchen. About half way down the hallway is the attic entrance as well. Around 11PM-12AM as we were trying to fall asleep we heard "something" snuffle its feet across the hardwood floor and play with the door knob of the pantry door. And then didn't hear anything after that. We did hear some weird higher pitch sounds coming from the basement but that could of been anything so that part didn't scare us, but the foot steps definitely did. Now the two of us were scared to death so neither of us looked but I am afraid these noises are going to happen again tonight.

Any advice for someone who knows nothing in this field and just wants to sleep peacefully after working and moving for a week straight?

In the morning I did look around the hallway to see if anything could of made the noise but the snuffling of the feet just couldn't have been created by anything else.

I know the person that lived there before was an older woman, but I don't know if her husband is alive or not. The house is a 42yr old bungalow and our first home. I have done my research and no one has died in the house since record keeping has been in my town (over 100yrs now).

Please help me as I am not sure what to do and even after one night, we are starting to feel that our minds will play tricks on us if we do nothing about it. Thanks!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, andyfraser1991, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

francyne1031 (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-17)
Steph- maybe he heard distinct shuffling footsteps. I know if I didn't really believe in ghosts per say, but heard someone walking down my hallway when I knew no one was home, I would begin to question my views. I think for him to do that shows how much this expirence un-nerved himself and his partner.

I hope and pray that is is a residual haunting Andy and not the very beginning of something a little more scary. Please keep us posted on anything else that happens. I know I would be a little freaked out if I heard this at night while my fiancé and I were going to bed... Lol... I wish you the best:)
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Yes it could be residual, which is as Jav said theoretical, but in my opinion is caused by a glitch in the matrix.

I have to ask, most people if they "never believe in this sort of thing" don't generally jump on the believing in ghosts bandwagon, search the internet for a ghost story website, join, and submit their story immediately. And all within 8 hours? That's pretty impressive. What else have you done to try to figure out what the noise may be? Have you searched for signs of animal or pest invasion? Do you live near anything that would create a vibration, like train tracks? I mean, on only night #3, after only 1 night of anything happening, I think it was jumping the gun a bit to immediately just start believing in ghosts and submit stories of a haunting. Most people need at least a day to process what they thought they heard or saw.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Andy,

From what you have shared I feel Jav is spot on with her analysis. To calm your own nerves though I offer this Cleansing/Shielding Method I have offered many and even use for my Home (Just Bought our Home in Feb...). Congrats on the new Home and please keep us updated.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Respectfully,

Rook
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
[at] andy - javelina is right, it sounds pretty innocuous. I heard the same thing one time when I first moved into my house, but I feel like my husband and I are so happy here, our good vibes negated the stagnant energy that caused the noise. Enjoy your new home, keep thinking good thoughts, and let positive energy take over.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Hi Andy,
This sounds to me like the sounds are what we refer to as residual images or residual sounds. Basially they are like a recording of what was either a traumatic event or an everyday, or night in your case, routine that was something performed on a regular basis by the previous residents. It's the same as a recording you would make of your voice or image. The difference being the way it is recorded and played back. Many times people will think they are haunted because they see an image or hear a sound and it is usually at the same time of day or night each time they see/hear it. The image or sound is the same each time. This is not a real spirit. Merely an image of what went on in that spot at that time on a regular basis. The mechanics of how it got there are just theory for now now, and there are a few of them. One says it has to do with the mineral content of the soil and bedrock the house was built on. Others think it may be the wiring in the home and the electro magnetic content in the atmosphere related to said wiring. Whatever the cause, it has been an accepted theory that the images and noises are just that, pieces of time recorded at some past date that now playback either randomly or on a timely basis. And this Andy is nothing you need worry about. If you aren't bothered by it, do nothing. You can always have an electrician in to test the wiring and make any needed adjustments, but this can be a costly endeavor for a couple of sounds that are nothing but recordings.

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: