You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Chilhood Memory

Real Ghost Stories

Chilhood Memory

 

Though I have been An active visitor of this site for many years. This is my first story so bear with my lack of experience to narrate a story. So here goes the story.

Since the time I was born to the time I reached the double digits age we lived in a rented house. We were six people in total, me, my sister, mom and dad, my cousin brother and my maternal grandmother. The house was a very old house and one family could rent only three rooms maximum. So the three storied house had about 10 - 15 residents and many rooms were vacant.

Let me give you all a layout of the house. The house was surrounded by a medium sized compound and big boundary walls on every side, which were impossible to climb since it had glass pieces inserted on top and was about 7 feet tall. The house was oddly located at the side than the centre and the remaining entire plot was dedicated to vegetable gardening. The house was close to the front gate and the back plot was again given for gardening. So if you were to enter from the main gate of the house only then would you get access to the gardens and you had to return the same way to come out.

So here is where my story begins. I was about 8-9 years old when my older sister got her first period. In hindu culture we have a tradition of keeping this type of girls away from direct sunlight and men for 11 days. The girl is kept in a room locked and she cannot see any male in this period. (sounds like a scene from 80s doesn't it?) anyway and it is also believed that if a girl dies in this period her soul will never rest in peace and be very angry. Now my sister was placed in one of the vacant rooms on the ground floor.

This particular room never used to be opened but we needed a vacant space to perform the ritual. When we entered the room it had all kinds of religious markings on the wall. There were om signs made with red color and pictures of god and godesses. So my sister had to live in this room for 11 days and since it was summer holidays I was supposed to accompany her.

The first few days went smoothly, then on the fifth day I was talking with my sister facing the window. I was so engrossed in my talk... Then suddenly I see this dark figure of this girl with medium height and hair tied in a pony put both hands on the window and look from between them (in a peeking sort of way) then she went away towards the garden. I went running outside thinking that she had come to steal some herbs from the garden (this is very common in Nepal). I ran as fast as I could towards the garden but upon reaching there I could find no one there.

I looked around every place but I could find nothing and I have told before there is no way out except returning back the same way I came. This freaked me out but only a little. I went back inside and continued talking. Then the remaining six days were a nightmare for both me and my sister.

At night while sleeping an unknown force used to slap us or pinch us and wake us up. First I thought it was my sister but when I wake up she would be fast asleep and I had to shake her and wake her up. This continued for a few days then on the 9th or 10th day something happened that sends a chill down my spine to this day.

My siater was not allowed to bath in this 11 days and her hair was long so had to be plaited. That job was assigned to my mother as I was too small then. My sister was having stomach cramps so was in a fragile state. So once when my mom came to plait her hair she was too tired to sit properly and was in a half sleepy stage. So my mother let my sister's hair loose and combed it to remove the locks and ordered me to come with her upstairs to fetch some pillows to support my sisters back. We went upstairs and fetched some pillows and upon returning found my sister's hair was perfectly plaited in a neat manner and in such a way that someone must sit back and plait it. My mom and I were horrified and when we asked her she told us that she never realized we had gone upstairs and when someone was plaiting her hair she thought it was my mother! She could actually feel someone lift her hair and plait it!

This did it for my mom and upon inquiring found that many years ago a little girl just like my sister had been placed in that room to perform these rituals but sadly she had died on the fifth day due to some complications and her parents fearing that their daughter would not rest in peace had the room cleansed but on opening the room now had released her angry soul...

Other hauntings by Rustedsoul

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rustedsoul, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
The idea of having to put the girls in a lock up is quite traditional and in this modern world, of tampons & sanitary napkins, it sounds so out of date.

I read somewhere that evil spirits are attracted towards menstruating girls.
In Islamic beliefs evil spirits and Jinn are attracted towards menstrual blood.
The same goes for Hindu beliefs also. Elders never let the menstruating women to leave the house or enter the puja rooms etc. As they were considered unclean.

I haven't seen any scientific reason for this tradition.

I don't understand is was the "cleansing' done by the dead girl's parents successful? If a room is cleansed, it is good enough to occupy.
senorita (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
very nice well written story 😁.for the very first time I came to know that girls do die when they get their first period.
Rustedsoul (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-15)
Dear rabnr,
No no... I am not talking about khyak... Firstly I am not newar and khyaks tend to prevail mostly in nepal culture only... In my culture they don't exist... Secondly khyaks are mythical creatures that are described as big furry yeti like creatures but what I was dealing with was a spirit... Possibly the one of a girl:)
rabnr (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
are you talking about khyak? The ghost that is believe to exist in newari culture because I have heard a lot of stories about it
Rustedsoul (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Thanks everyone for your feedbacks... She might have been looking after us but since I was around 8 back then I really didn't like her and was only scared from her... Anyway we have shifted from that house and are now living in our own house... Though things do happen here but these are minor things... Anyway thanks everyone...:)

Beautifulden: yeah the traditions are wierd but let's not be thankful to mordern times yet since these traditions still take place here in nepal...:) and well these traditions have come from eatly times so peope believe in it until now...:)
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-18)
Well Geetha, since you obviously took offence to my comment even though I did not mean it to be disrespectful, I am sorry. I just think it is a bit extreme to lock a young girl in a room for 11 days, that's all. You didn't have to jump on your high horse and be so mean. 😐
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-09-07)
beautifuleden,

How is that silly and weird? Different parts of the world has traditions that still continue today and not everyone understands why they do it.

You said, "Thank goodness for modern times!"

Well, just to inform you, many of the traditions still continue in "modern times".

I think what you said was down right rude and disrespectful. Not everyone understands other people's traditions and if you don't want to make an attempt at understanding it, then fine, don't understand. BUT don't go putting down the traditions of others, especially without understanding where these traditions come from.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-09-07)
Such weird and silly traditions there used to be! Thank goodness for modern times! X
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
I agree with the posters.

I don't think the ghost was an angry ghost. I know you mentioned that you got slapped and pinched but thing of it this way. She could have been looking out for your sister and she woke you up in the only way she knew how, so that you can keep an eye out for your sister and possibly get help if needed. She also braided your sister's hair showing that she was looking out for your sister.

Hearing about the traditions the girls had to go though when they get their periods made me laugh because my mother and maternal grandmother made me do that and miss two weeks of school and camp; it made me so mad! 😆
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
Rustedsoul, this would have been a creepy experience for both you and your sister. But, it is surprising that when something was pinching or slapping you and your sister when you were asleep, it is strange that it took so much interest in plaiting your sister's hair. As Southerntk said, probably the girl, who died in that room, long ago wanted to help the other girls. Nice narration and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-04)
This is very interesting and very believable to me. I to have been touched by spirits physically. Maybe your sister having made it through the ritual without harm, helped the girl to pass on to the other side. She obviously liked your sister and braided her hair. She seemed to have bothered you the most. It was interesting reading about your culture too. She may stay there longer to help other girls. I really think your story is an example of the extent of physical contact that entities are capable of.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: