You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Scary Times

Real Ghost Stories

Scary Times

 

About 10 years ago (when I was in my early 20's) I was staying with my new boyfriend and his friend who shared a house in small village in Bedfordshire, it was by no means an old spooky house, just a regular semi detached approx 30 years old. I would usually stay at weekends often arriving on a Friday afternoon usually before the others returned from work in the evening. For a few months nothing happened at all, I had no negative feeling about the house and it just seemed like a nice house in a quiet close.

The first thing that happened was about 3am early one Saturday morning, my boyfriend and I were in bed fast asleep and the TV came on, he didn't notice as he was facing away from the screen but the light from the screen woke me up and there was no sound. At the time I didn't think anything of it as I was sleepy so I just pressed the standby button on the remote and rolled over. Seconds later it came back on so I turned it off again and then again it came straight back on.

At the time I really didn't think of anything sinister at all, I thought the remote was faulty so I got out of bed and pressed the button on the TV to turn it off properly. It was quite an old set and had a really clunky button so it made a very final clunk as I turned it off. I snuggled back down and a few minutes later heard the button clunk and the TV came on. This absoultely freaked me out so I shook my boyfriend awake and told him what had happened. He woke up and basically told me not to be silly and that the TV was old and probably on it's last legs and must be an electrical problem. I was a bit freaked so I made him swap places with me so I wasn't near the TV and we went back to sleep.

I think it was the next night when we were asleep in bed again. It was the early hours of the morning and the stereo downstairs came on full volume, so loud we literally jumped out of bed. My boyfriend and his friend went downstairs to see what was going on and the stereo had come on all by itself, they were joking that we had a poltergeist in the house as we'd discussed the TV incident but we all went back to bed and forgot about it.

The next strange incident occured when I was in the house on my own, one Friday afternoon. The boys were both at work and I'd come round straight from college and decided to have a bath and get ready for the evening. I was in the bath, the house was silent and suddenly I heard the internal porch door downstairs open and slam shut and very heavy footsteps run up the stairs along the landing and stop outside the door. It gave me a fright but I just thought it was my boyfriend home early so I called out but nobody answered. Then I called out to see if it was his friend but still no answer. I sat in the bath for over an hour because I was too scared to open the door in case there was someone there.

Eventually my boyfriend came home from work and found me in the bath freezing and I told him what had happened and he said I was imagining it as the main external front door was locked when he got home and we were the only ones with keys so there couldn't have been anyone in the house. We had a few incidents with things going missing and turning up in random places, and keys for the back door that had always lived on a hook by the door were somehow making their way across to the other side of the room without any explanation. My things were always moving around when I wasn't there, like hairbrush and makeup would move into the master bedroom. And guaranteed if I was ever in the house on my own I would hear heavy footsteps running up the stairs.

The final straw with these activities came about 8 months after I'd first started staying there at weekends. It was a Saturday night and I was there on my own, I can't remember why I was on my own but I remember it was November or December so very dark outside. I was drying my hair in the bedroom and watching TV at the same time and the TV turned off. I didn't turn it back on but I started to get very tense. The hair dryer was still working so just carried on and then that turned off too. I sort of just sat there for a few minutes wondering what to do until I heard the stereo come on loud downstairs and the bedroom light went out. I literally ran downstairs and out the front door I was so scared.

I didn't really know what else to do as I'd left my phone and bag inside so I knocked on the next door neighbours door. I was a bit shaken up but I told them some weird things were happening next door and I was too scared to go back inside. The woman who lived there sent her husband in to get my bag and phone and when he came back he said the TV in the bedroom was on and the hairdryer was on too and all the lights and the stereo in the lounge but nothing weird happened to him.

The family told me that they had recently over the past few months heard someone running up and down the stairs, doors banging and the stereo coming on when it looked like nobody was home.

I never went back inside the house, I called my boyfriend and he came and got me and took me home to my parents house. He contined to live in the house for another 6 months but nothing strange happened at all...

Other hauntings by sariah

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sariah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zander (7 stories) (141 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
Very interesting. Spirits seem to be able to interact with electronics. Also, spirit phenomena can occur with one guest, resident, visitor and not another or any others. A film called "The Haunted" about the Smurl family may interest you. Your story reminds me a bit of an account from a friend of mine who was stationed in the UK at a US Air Force base in the 70's. She had things disappearing in the barracks bedroom she shared with another recruit. The roomate blamed her for her missing and moved hairbrush, among other things. In the end, my friend was transferred to another barracks. One day in passing she had a breif conversation with a group of African American girls and the subject of where each were living on the base came up. When my friend offered her present and former location, the African American girls looked at one another and said, matter of factly, "Oh, that place was haunted" and carried on their way.
sariah (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
Thanks Jav, your comments really do seem to make sense. It's interesting to note that the guy that lives in the house still has been single all these years and as far as i'm aware hasn't had a steady girlfriend, Perhaps the spirit is a bit protective of him or the environment and doesn't like other women around or feels threatened by them (although she does like their stuff!)
I wonder if he started seeing someone if they might have the same experiences I did, I will keep keep an eye on it and let you know (my boyfriend/now husband still sees him every now and then)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
sariah,
All the suggestions so far have been good ones. I believe it was a woman as well. The stomping seems like a gesture of impatience or disapproval. But the makeup, though it was moved, seems to be a gentler sort of focus really. As if someone is simply happy to to be able to have it around them. Moving it was like taking it to 'her own spot', or enjoying it in private where no one would find them.
So now the question is,"why you and no one else?" I have a though about that, what if this spirit was an old fashioned girl? That would explain her impatience with you being there when the guys weren't home, especially staying the weekends with your boyfriend and sleeping together before marriage. These types of activity were not to be taken lightly, they were sins back in the day. I wonder if she was attempting to maybe save you from getting caught up in that lifestyle? Or save you from yourself perhaps? It also seems she may have been trying to get everyone's attention at first, but no one else paid her any mind.
Who was she? I don't think she had lived there before. I think she followed you there and left when you did because her job was done.
A relative of yours perhaps? And this of course, may even be one of the people you talk to in your sleep. Apparently she wasn't getting through to you the other way so she had to change tactics to get you to pay attention. Stranger things have happened.
The electrical appliances, lights, tv's, etc, going whacko? Oh yeah, they can do that. It seems like that, and a little banging on the walls and doors, are pretty much the standard for communication when spirits are trying to get noticed, warn you, or both.
Thank you for sharing,

Jav 😊

~Yeah, my imagination does run away with me, doesn't it? 😁
Dinesh_Dev (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
These creepy incidents happened to you might have occured due to some stangers or else due to your paranormal thinking of your previous experience, 😕, you just make yourself comfortable at the present.
sariah (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
One of the guys still lives in the house, he's been there about 12 years now and he said the only weird things happened when I was there. I have been thinking that perhaps there was a woman there before as my makeup, hair stuff etc was constantly being moved into the master bedroom and none of the boys stuff was ever touched. We don't know of any bad history in the house, the previous owners had been there many years before and then sold it and moved abroad to retire.
Spirit_Juggler (1 stories) (25 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
If things haven't happened to you anywhere else it would suggest it was the house rather than you. Perhaps the spirits took offense to you for some reason.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
Sorry sssi but if you would like to post your own occurances then can you please make your own story?
As when I read this experience I did not wish to read about some 'horny' people which has no relevance to above story.
Sorry Sariah if my comment has also offended you 😢

Anyways like the other comment I too think you did the right thing by staying away from that place, I would be too scared after the first occurance 😨

Last night I too had a weird experience with elctronics, an old phone all of a sudden started playing my alarm tone.
It is turned off and has been in a drawer for about 4 months now and i've never set an alarm for 4am 😕 the house is also new probably only 1-3 years old and as far as I know there have been no accidents there...
Do you know if anything happened in the your boyfriend/husbands old house?
Smokebear (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
Could be (whatever it is) it doesn't like you or it is drawn to you and trying to communicate.
sariah (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
Thanks for the replies.
As far as I'm aware I've never had any other experiences but I do talk in my sleep to the extreme that I'm sitting up in bed actually having a conversation with someone several times a week. I've seen the same 2 people in my dreams for as long as I can remember and they are always at the end of my bed, I always chat to them. Ask me in morning what I was talking about and I've got no idea though. Thankfully my husband is used to it and we've recorded it on occasion but it never makes much sense to me. Very strange...
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
In all the houses I've lived in I've never seen the electricity/wiring act like that. There might have been a problem in one room, or all the power went out, but I never experienced things going on and off like crazy, as you did. Sounds more like this was done on purpose, by something trying to drive you out! I think you made a good choice to get out of there fast as possible! Are spirits drawn to you? Have you had anything happen since then?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
sariah - it sounds to me as if whoever was "living" there didn't like you being there and was trying to scare you away, which they succeeded in doing.

It would be interesting to know whether it was someone attached to the home, or one of the guys.
Spirit_Juggler (1 stories) (25 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-23)
Wow. Thanks for sharing. A really strange tale. Have you had any other strange happenings in other places or was it just this one house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: