You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Life In The Country

Real Ghost Stories

Life In The Country

 

In 1999, my family (my stepfather, my mom, my four sisters, and I) moved out into the country outside of Merkel, Texas (my little brother came along a few months later. Actually, he's the reason we moved out there. We'd been living in a cramped apartment, and my stepfather always wanted to live in the country).

On the first night, 18 March 1999, we hadn't moved our things in all the way, yet, so I was sleeping on my floor on some blankets. As I was laying there, feeling odd in a new house and uncomfortable laying on the floor, I felt a presence. I rolled over and looked at the door and saw a figure standing there. When we lived in the apartment, my stepfather would often come and check on us to make sure we were alright, so I assumed that was him and closed my eyes.

The next morning I asked him how he was able to be so energetic since he was up at 3am checking on us. He looked confused and said that he had been so exhausted from the move that he was out before we were and didn't wake up until my mom woke him up that morning.

We soon got the rest of our stuff moved in and on 24 June 1999, my little brother was born. We spent a lot of sleepless nights after that, because he would cry all night long nearly every night. Not little cries, like loud wailing that you could hear from the other side of the house.

One night, I took the pillow off from over my head for a minute to roll over, and I saw the figure again. Again, I thought it was Wayne, forgetting what he had said last time. Of course, he said he was out all night that night, so maybe it was him. Only it wasn't, because he was working late that night and I heard hm get home an hour later.

One night, about a year later. I was walking down the hall to my room during a thunderstorm. As I was going down the hall, lightening flashed, and I saw a body hanging from a noose from the ceiling. When the light from the lightning faded, the figure was done and I picked myself up off the ground slowly, obviously shaken.

In 2003, my family left one night to go to the store, and I chose to stay home because I was reading. I know for a fact I was home alone, because I saw my family get into the car and drive off. I was sitting in the recliner in the living room. When you sat on the recliner, you could see the corner to the hallway from the corner of your eye. As I was reading, I got the creepy feeling I was being watched.

I looked up and saw something in the corner of my eye, at the hallway. I saw the face of a girl, and the moment I looked, she pulled her head back. She didn't disappear, she pulled her head back, as though she was a living person and was trying to play Peek-a-Boo. I jumped up off the recliner and ran to the hallway. No one was there. The doors were closed. The house was vacant.

From 2003 until sometime in 2004, I would see a figure standing in my corner. It never did anything, just stood there. It didn't look transparent, but as though there was someone actually standing there. I tried to tell my family, but they were like, "So there's a man in your room? Is there a monster under the bed as well?" I remember what he looked like. He looked like Mr. Clean.

One night in 2004, I was watching TV when I heard my oldest sister screaming. It was weird hearing her scream, because she was (and is) Gothic, and denounced being a girl, and I had never heard her scream before that night, so hearing her scream, I knew something had happened, so I ran to her room. She was crying on her bed (again, bizarre seeing). Her stereo was all over the room.

When she calmed down, she told me that she was listening to a cd, when all of a sudden it switched to the radio. It scanned through the stations as she tried to get it to stop. After a while, it rose off the shelf, levitated to the middle of the room, and shredded itself. It was an expensive stereo, and my stepfather, a lifelong skeptic, got mad at her when she wouldn't tell him "the truth" about what happened to it. He did admit it was weird that the stereo was ripped like that, because it was as though something ripped it like paper. My sisters started listening to me when I told them what was going on, and I told them the other stories, and more that I have forgotten with time. Now that they had their eyes open, they began seeing things happening from time to time.

In 2006, my stepfather got a job offer in Alamogordo, New Mexico. We were going to move from Merkel, Texas to there, but first he was going to move ahead of us to get a house and everything set up. He left in May and we were to move in July. A couple weeks after he left, I was laying in bed reading when I heard his voice loud and clear shout my name from the kitchen. I was opening my door when I suddenly remembered he wasn't even home. In fact, no one was home. They had gone shopping.

We were planning to move out of our home in the country to New Mexico in early July. So, naturally, we ended up moving on 5 August 2006. We traveled in two vehicles. My mom driving the Dodge Durango with one of my younger sisters, our dog Sally, and I, and my stepfather driving the U-Haul with my other sisters and little brother. As we were driving at night through the mountains of New Mexico, my mom said, "Didn't you say you experienced things in that house?" I was expecting her to make fun of me, but I said yes anyway. She said..."I would often see a man who sounded like Wayne and looked like Mr. Clean."

My blood froze. She told me that she never watched movies with us in the living room because every time she did, there would be a figure of a little girl standing in the hallway looking at her...

Other hauntings by Baikeru

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Baikeru, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Baikeru (7 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
I don't know why she never told me. Maybe she didn't know that's what I saw. I never told her I saw things, only my sisters and stepfather. Also, when she told me what she saw, it wasn't in a "I saw what you saw" manner. When I told her I saw the same things, she was surprised.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
Thanks for replying to the other posters' questions. Now, I have one question for you. You mentioned that your mother mentioned that she saw what you saw. Why didn't she confess to you earlier when you were experiencing these things? Please don't tell me that she was trying to protect you because it would have done you lot of good if you found out that you weren't alone in seeing these things.

Sorry one more question: Were you ever able to find out if the house or the land had any history?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
Wow you must have felt so relieved when your mom admitted to having experiences in the house. Especially when she described seeing the very same thing. I was thinking that there could have been a tree or some other structure on the land that someone was either hung or hung themselves from. These are some great experiences. Thank you for sharing them 😁
Baikeru (7 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
[at] Javelina, at the time we moved out there, my stepfather was safety manager of a factory that makes the Lil' Dutch Maid Cookies. HE was able to afford the land and to have workers put in the septic tank and the lines and the power poles and everything. For the first year that we lives there, wheat was still growing, but we weren't able to do anything with it since we didn't have the equipment, so it just died.

If you read my next story, you'll see that the move to New Mexico and then having to move back took the last of our money.

[at] clever210, I was thinking the same thing, be cause there wasn't room in the hall to hang yourself, and I don't think the light fixture would hold anyone's weight.

[at] MizMiMi02, I didn't see it happen, I only saw the pieces, and it looked like it has been ripped.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
I do have a question actually. Aside from the moving of the house (which I find a bit hard to believe, due to cost involved), I am curious about the following:
"When she calmed down, she told me that she was listening to a cd, when all of a sudden it switched to the radio. It scanned through the stations as she tried to get it to stop. After a while, it rose off the shelf, levitated to the middle of the room, and shredded itself."
What exactly do you mean by "shredded itself?" I known that you said like it was like ripped paper, but I just can't picture that happening to a stereo. Not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't really get it.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
Baikeru,

It's interesting that you saw a body hanging from a noose from the ceiling. I have had the same type of experience as well. It happened at night, so I couldn't make out any details, but it definitely a body hanging. The really weird thing about it, is that I live in a trailer that I bought brand new. No one has died there, not to mention there would be no way to hang oneself since it's just an archway (no beams).

~clever210
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
Baikeru,
This is all very interesting. And it does seem you may have a gift. However, there is something I am having a bit of trouble with.
~The moving of the house to a location that was previously only used as crop land, followed by the removal of said house upon your family's subsequent move to New Mexico, to then return that land to the raising crops once more.~
Here's my problem with the scenario you have laid out. It is no easy task to move a house to another property. For one thing, the utility lines, plumbing, and foundation must be there for the home to be livable. That is a very expensive and time consuming project to undertake. But to remove it once your family had moved away? That seems very odd to me.
Please explain further, if possible.

Jav
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
Baikeru, really scary encounters you had in that house. Well, probably, as you said in your post, something must have happened at the land before the house was built. The revelation of your mother to you during when you were moving to New Mexico would have reassured you about the happenings at the house. Probably, besides your sister, even your mother and others might have had some expereinces of it. If you had done any investigation in that regard and about the land, please let us know. You have a nice way of narrating your stories. Keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Baikeru (7 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-27)
oh, I probably should have mentioned this in the entry. We moved the house out there. Before we got there, that land was used for crops. After we left, they moved everything and plowed it and it's being used for crops again. If anything, something happened on the land.
akosihyaadik (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-27)
Im wondering if there's a mysterious story behind that house. And I'm so curious to know about it. Maybe, there's a massacre happened on that house before. 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: