You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Friends From My Hotel Childhood

Real Ghost Stories

Old Friends From My Hotel Childhood

 

My name is Christian and I currently work at the Comfort Inn & Suites in the city of Long Beach, CA. This is my second story about Old friends from my hotel childhood.

Deborah (Room 126)

The Old Lady in the Cafeteria (Room 126)

Mornings have always possessed a bright light of life at the Comfort Inn & Suites of Long Beach. Travelers from different parts of the world seem to enjoy each others company in our dining room. Guests and their families would trudge out of bed early from their moments of rest for only one reason... Free Breakfast. We serve a decent Continental Deluxe Hot Breakfast in the morning hours from 6:30am to 9:30am in our cafeteria now. It has proven to be my favorite renovation here at the Inn. Plenty of guests enjoy the variety on our menu and more grow surprised to the unexpected amount of people that they get to share the food with. The three hours of breakfast have proven to be a natural ice-breaker amongst strangers. But to the front desk agents like me, the happy breakfast room changes it's mood in the midnight hours.

It seems that we employees have all had unexplained experiences that left us hesitant to enter the dining room. Accounts of moving of furniture, dropping of table items, rattling of kitchen equipment, knocking and hissing have all been recorded.

During my first Fall season of work here, I had sighted a head and half torso apparition. It was a white figure walking inside the cafeteria past the glass sliding doors. I believed it to be the image of an old woman. It could possibly have been a reflection of a pedestrian walking outside the lobby walkway, so I double checked the security camera capturing the face of the lobby. To my confusion, the cameras didn't catch anyone or anything out there. I excused the illusion as a glare from headlights of a passing car shining upon the surface of the glass doors. I can usually tell when someone is approaching the front door by viewing the reflection off of the cafeteria's glass panels.

So I went on to my usual graveyard routine and finished my reports before lunchtime. At around three in the morning I then slid one cafeteria door wide open so that I can access the vending machine and purchased some Doritos and a Snicker bar. I left that very door open through the whole time following.

"Deisel," my older brother, was the security guard on duty during that time and it was a slow November for us. Because of the night's pace, I let him rest on the couch lobby. (Well, I didn't really permit him to lay down on the lobby couch, he just did it regardless and fell asleep after a few minutes.) As a younger brother would do, I tried to ignore him and his extreme snoring the rest of the night. I was watching music videos on my laptop behind the counter when another light was seen in the cafeteria. The woman stood further into the room this time but stared at me before drifting out of view through the doorway. The seven seconds of vision felt like a lifetime of description. She was such a frightening image. Her eyes were empty black holes. Her face looked fair but her eyes would not leave my focus. The lady was a faint holographic mist material from what I could guess in the shadow. I stood up shaken from her image and did not move for a minute or so. My music faded into the background and I could only hear my heartbeat. I then slowly came around the counter to wake Deisel up from his snorlax-esk slumber when he said in his sleep, " ell the old lady to leave..." (my brother's exact words). I then slapped my brother's face in reaction to his horrifying statement. Never could I imagine this event the way it has played out. He got up angry and before he could wail out, I demanded an explanation of what old lady he was referring to. I stood in complete denial at what had just happened between my brother and I. I then told him what I had seen. He first sat up irritated but the more I spoke, he finally woke in fear as he was able to gather the pieces of the lady he was dreaming about. He dreamed of the old woman from 126 that died in her bed in 2005. "Deborah" (room 126) lived here with her son who currently lives out on the streets. "Patrick" (son of Deborah) had spent all of his mother's remaining savings on drugs and other expenses after her passing. Some mornings you can find him at the local McDonald's entrance asking for spare dollars or change.

Deisel said that Deborah was pacing towards him in his nightmare and he couldn't get away from her. He was in a dark endless corridor and the dead figure stood before him. The more he would run from her, the woman would chase nearer to him. He would even be at full sprint and yet, stepping slowly, she would be right on his tail. Before she could grab him, I had awakened him from his sleep. He explained to me what she looked like and it matched my description of the breakfast room entity. He also said a bit about his friends at a beach and a cat but I don't believe it had any significance to the spirit.

We still hear things in there on a nightly basis and only one other agent has seen the woman at the same spot that I had. For my benefit, I do not tell any new agents any of the "Old Lady" stories for it makes scheduling very difficult. Gladly, I haven't worked a nightshift in 7 months.

Fact: the old rooms 126 and 128 where taken down and converted to a giant room. Today of which is now the breakfast room of our property. The hotel I once lived in has undergone many renovations to make it what it is today. As a kid, the woman from 126 wouldn't like us running across her door and would complain about the noise of the neighboring children to the front desk. I remember that when she couldn't get any assistance to silence us, she would stand under her heavy curtains in front of her glass sliding door and give us a very mean stare. So we kids just ran to the other side of the pool to play so we couldn't see her.

Today we still get an anonymous interior phone call with a strange 5 digit number. The caller never says anything back besides a negative static washing sound that constantly shrieks through the receiver.

Personal Note: As a younger brother I could not help but find the expression on my older brother's face more than funny: withdrawing my hand from his left cheek. Yeah, perhaps THE best part of this particular story was that reaction of victory following my fearful panic.

Other hauntings by SkufuiS

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SkufuiS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
OMG yes we totally do! Paranormal witness starts here soon, I can't wait!

And some of the techno gadgets they use fascinate me so far in my Ghost hunting booty I have a digital voice recorder, a digital camera, and a video camera, the last two are just standard HD nothing to fancy tech, and when my brother gets back from his holiday, I'll be whining for a K2 and EMF meter as he's an electrician by trade, I'm sure a couple of those could fall off a truck πŸ˜†

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for your updates!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
SkufuiS me and Dragonstorm here love those shows aswell and yes mate they have the best of the best technology wise it is very cool! Keep us updated mate! 😁
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Jeez look what I miss when I go to sleep πŸ˜†

Thank you for the replies and miracles no harm done the answer came about in the end πŸ˜‰

And I'd love to see the results of your findings, keep us posted! 😊
SkufuiS (7 stories) (7 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Thanks Dan of the DARKNESS!
I always wondered if it were a "james bond hightechnical ghost voice recorder 2000" they used on the ghosthunter shows my lady and I watch all the time. I might just go out and purchase a digital recorder to catch some vocals! I am actually a big fan of GHOST ADVENTURES and am intrigued by their many methods of contact. Crazy awesome!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
SkufuiS: Great account just like your last accounts they are very enjoyable to read and keep you wanting more!
This woman seems to be quite active, I can understand why your glad not to be working the nightshift, a Digital voice recorder or even the recorder on a mobile phone can be used for EVP work, if possible you could ask some questions whilst the recorder is left in the most active rooms and the when your shift has finished it can be analysed. Look forward to hearing more from you. Thanks for sharing. 😊

Dan
SkufuiS (7 stories) (7 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
cosmogal926-Yes, I still see "Patrick" every now and then. You can find him in the back corner of the McDonalds sipping his coffee or smoking outside.

DragonStorm80- Yes I lived here five years. My mom worked here practically my whole life. I wish to try an EVP but don't really know how one goes by doing so. Do you use a standard tape recorder? I have recorded a flashlight-esk shine running crossing the cafeteria floor one night on the security camera once but the memory deletes after two weeks. There wasn't any source around to emit such a shine. It ran parallel to the length of the cafeteria. And there are only two windows on one side of the room. So you'de expect a pause or vanish in between the windows were it to be from outside.

Triden07- yeah it does get spooky and nerve rattling sometimes. Sometimes going to the bathroom gets me wandering off in such thoughts. I just try to be as positive and nice as possible to avoid any conflict.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Great story, and beautifully written. You had my complete attention the whole time. I didn't read your first story either, but I'm on my way there now. 😊 This experience you and your brother had with the old woman is amazing. Your brother must have reminded her of her son in a way. Perhaps she wanted to help her son in life but didn't get the chance to. Do you know if her son is still alive? Ohhh when people describe those black holes for eyes, it sends a chill up my spine every time. So creepy. This is going in my fav's keep them coming. ❀
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
SkufuiS
If I were an eployee in that place I would be scared to death (pardon the pun) to work night shift. I have lived in houses where, as soon as the sun sets, I retreat to my room, the only place I feel safe.

In the same breath, it must be a very fulfilling life to lead, you get to see so many people, from so many walks of life. Though it seems that the people who have passed on there don't tend to really keep traits of their goodhearted human nature. I wonder why.

Great stories nonetheless 😊
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Miracles 51031
Oh yes, you see, I need no excuse. I sometimes say and do things that make my 5-year old twins wonder if mommy lost the plot. Atleast we brighten some people's lives πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
triden - I'm actually brunette (or whatever comes out of the next bottle πŸ˜‰) but my goodness... I fit those Dumb Blonde jokes to a "T". And no offense to blondes anywhere LOL. The stories I could tell you... My family tells my stories to their friends and co-workers. They're not "dumb blonde" jokes, they're "Guess what Marjie did today?" Seriously... Not joking πŸ˜†
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Miracles51031
Im blonde too, proud of it as well. Hehe. It's like people expect you to botch something when you're blonde. Some days I like humoring people, other days I take immense pleasure in proving them wrong.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
triden07 - thank you 😊 sometimes I think I wear my Dumb Blonde Crown more than I am without it πŸ˜‰ Today I am proudly wearing it!
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
Miracles51031
Lucky for us, we know we all as posters are human (or we think we all are, you never know lol) we are entitled to errors in judgement 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
beautifuleden - thank you for answering DragonStorm. Sometimes when I think I make the right decision I find out...huh...maybe that was the wrong decision πŸ˜†

Again, thank you 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
DragonStorm - that would be my fault. When I edited the story, I deleted the introductory paragraphs because they were the same as in his first story. In hindsight, perhaps I should have left themπŸ˜•

You really would need to read his first story to understand.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
[at] Dragonstorm, yes as far as I remember reading in a previous story, Skufuis grew up living in the hotel as his mum was the manager... X
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-06)
I'm confused... You WORK at the Inn but you knew this old lady when you were a younger child? Did you used to live at the Inn? I haven't read your first story so I am a bit confused on some facts.

Have you ever tried to record the image on a personal video camera? Or maybe try to have an EVP session one night and see if you get any answers?

Interesting story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: