You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Guy In The Red Shirt

Real Ghost Stories

The Guy In The Red Shirt

 

I'm going to tell you guys about a scary experience that happened to me two years ago. So this happened to me in Springfield, IL at Days Inn. My dad was working there at the time and he brought me and my brothers so we could go swimming in the pool.

After we swam, my dad told us about how one night he opened the janitor's closet and he saw a pair of glowing eyes in the closet. We thought he was joking. He wasn't.

At about 9pm, we saw a small black car so we thought our mom was there. We went running down the hall because we didn't want to leave. My brothers stopped about halfway through the hallway and I don't know why, but I kept going. I was standing there and I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was a man. I clearly remember every little detail about him. He was a tall, blonde man dressed in a red shirt and beige pants. Something about him was really old fashioned and his clothes weren't modern. I stood there, frozen. I've never had an experience like that before! I couldn't move, I couldn't even speak. Then, I could suddenly move again. I turned around to look and nothing was there. I ran to the lobby as fast as I could. My brothers asked what happened. I told my dad and I was to the point of crying. I was 11 at the time.

I never went back to that hotel but my dad talked to some of the staff there as this old lady who has worked there for years said that she's seen the exact same ghost and she described him perfectly. She said she's seen more ghosts there and truly believes that days inn (in Springfield) is haunted.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, taraleon88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I'm afraid the discussion has gone a little to the wayside...Let's get back to the story, please 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
lsandhu,

I was simply addressing the question as put forth by CriticalThinking...

I understand your desire to... How did you say it... Oh yes...

"...as I do believe in spirits. I just choose not to waste my time arguing over proof, which is irrelevant to me."

You do not wish to argue over proof, this s your choice... I was merely addressing t question put forth as someone who chooses to make a case 'FOR' proof of a (the) spirit realm. My 'observations/opinion' was not directed towards you, who as a believer needs no convincing. However, that being said if, and when those of us who choose to present evidence to those ho do not believe... Well we must have put it through all the 'tests' they can think of... And more... BECAUSE...

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes -

So I choose the above method when it comes to finding/presenting proof of the Paranormal.

I was attempting to present this methodology wtih in my comment as well as offer an opinion as to why...

"So, how come they don't come to the ones denying they are real?:L To scientists, psychologists, etc."

I was offering my opinion to a direct question that was asked... So your choice to... Not get 'bogged down' as you stated here...

"What I mean is for the average person like me and most of the posters on this site, you need not get bogged down in the proof question or you risk losing sight of the magic of life."
Is your choice... I merely a addressed a direct question with my 'direct opinion'.

Respectfully,

Rook

Respectfully,

Rook
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I'm confused by your comment, Rook, as I do believe in spirits. I just choose not to waste my time arguing over proof, which is irrelevant to me. That's why I say each person has to find their own meaning in encounters with the paranormal. I don't mean to say no one should look for proof or you shouldn't trouble yourself with looking for rational explanations before turning to paranormal ones. What I mean is for the average person like me and most of the posters on this site, you need not get bogged down in the proof question or you risk losing sight of the magic of life.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I have misspoken... I said this in my last comment...

"In your case in particular at this Hotel... The Man in the Red Shirt sounds as if it was a Residual Haunting... Just a moment of 'captured time' replaying... And you happened to see it."

That should read 'In this case'...as CriticalThinking was not the author of of this experience...

Sorry about that.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
CriticalThinking,

You ask a very interesting question that I'd like to take a 'crack at'. You asked...

"So, how come they don't come to the ones denying they are real?"

Lsandhu made a very curious comment they said...

"All you can do is reflect on your own experiences and belief system and decide what they are and what they mean to you."

Most of the people who deny the reality of 'spirits' have chosen to think this way... This would tend to 'close them off' from 'feeling/being sensitive' to their presence/influence. It is for this reason those of us who do believe have to hold ourselves to very high standards when it comes to evidence.

Another way to look at it this... Your a spirit, are you going to waste your time and energy on an individual who will not react to anything you do because they do not notice it... Or if they do react they 'grasp at straws' trying to convince themselves nothing happened.

In your case in particular at this Hotel... The Man in the Red Shirt sounds as if it was a Residual Haunting... Just a moment of 'captured time' replaying... And you happened to see it.

Respectfully,

Rook
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
Bravo my fellow posters, I love the steak analogy Newhunter! As with anything from politics to religion, you cannot force your opinions on anyone, we all choose what we do and do not believe. My dad has had first hand excperience with the creepy things that have happened in our house, but he flat out refuses to even think that there isn't a logical explanation for every event. It's his choice. I guess it par for the course.
CriticalThinking (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Ahh...I see. Well I used to believe in them. Now I think "there's always a logical explanation for everything." It would be awesome to know if they really are real. So, how come they don't come to the ones denying they are real?:L To scientists, psychologists, etc. Sorry if I sound like a 16 year old ignorant girl, cause I am. ^_^ I just want to understand. Oh and by the way, you guys are really nice thank you. I'd thought people would just bash me. ❤
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
CriticalThinking, what you seem to be asking is whether or not ghosts are "real". No one can answer that. All you can do is reflect on your own experiences and belief system and decide what they are and what they mean to you. Ultimately, there are philosophers who don't believe anything can be proven to exist. They question the basis of all apparent knowledge. Why? Because they can. The universe is infinitely mysterious. Maybe (but I doubt it) we will have all the answers someday, but that will be one boring day.
maleena84 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Creepy! I've seen a perfect apparition too! It was a woman with brown hair in a Victorian white dress she didn't even look transparent she looked real and as shocked to see me as I was to see her! She vanished right infront of my eyeballs! Needless to say I ran screaming and crying all the way down stairs to my then husband!
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
CriticalThinking people believe in them for different reasons none of us can give you a umbrella answer for every person. I personally believe because I have experienced them. Each person you ask could give you a different answer, its kind of like asking why do people like steak and expecting only one answer.
CriticalThinking (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Miracles: Why do people believe in them? What's the point? Is it like religion?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Fergie - LOL, I'm sure before the day is out I'll screw up at least a dozen more times 😆 Stick around 😆
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Ohh! Miracles, thank you, I really needed more than one laugh today! You get another gold star for that. 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
You can take both my gold stars away now 😉 Serves me right for trying to sneak and read the stories on my phone anyway 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Fergie - Omg crap I am so sorry! There was nothing wrong with your comment. This stupid dumb blonde phone! I was trying to enlarge the page and accidentally hit the delete button 😭 I am so sorry 😢
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Tara, spread that story around, the Inn will be over-run with ghost hunters, and business will boom!

Thank you for sharing. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
CriticalThinking - ummm... You are on a ghost stories website where people submit their experiences and discuss them. I would think that means some of us actually believe in them, wouldn't you?
CriticalThinking (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Where can I discuss the existence of ghosts with someone who has studied them? I want to know if people actually believe in ghosts or they want to believe in ghosts?
makisupa76 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
I enjoyed your story, I wonder if other guests have experienced things at that Days Inn. I doubt there is a record as Days Inns are typically are not the kinds of establishments that build up a clientele, so to speak. I would imagine that most people who have stayed there were just passing through.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: