You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Cafe In Reims, France Ghosts: First Work Place:

Real Ghost Stories

The Cafe In Reims, France Ghosts: First Work Place:

 

My family moved from the UK to France for my father Francois (who was born in France) to look after his mother Nadine (French) after his father Thomaso (Hungarian) died from a Stroke at age 66yrs of age at work as a Policeman while on shift. He died instantly and very unexpectedly only 5-6 months short of his retirement. He had been a Policeman since retiring from the Air Force at the age 27yrs old having finished his time of service as required by the country of France. He was a decorated hero. So our family moved to France to care for my disabled grandma who had been left in a wheelchair after a car accident. And his siblings couldn't move as easily back to France to look after her.

I loved moving to France and we lived in the big family home where my father grew up. I got my first pony "Toffee Boy"... Went to a great school that I really loved. And really enjoyed my life with my extended family. And learned French in such a short time, I did really well in school and won spelling bees, was on the student council, the debate team, and the school newspaper. I was lucky I made a lot of friends. It was a great time in my life. I couldn't have asked for a better childhood and teenage life. We traveled a lot too which I loved because I learned so much about different cultures, peoples and countries which was fantastic. The photos we have are brilliant.

By the time I was in year 10 in school I wanted to start earning my own money and not rely so much on my parents. I have always believed in earning your way when you became old enough. And at 15yrs old I was legally old enough to get a job in France. So I started hunting for a after school and or weekend job.

After nearly 3 months of asking every cafe, supermarket, shop that I thought would be good to work for. I finally got a interview with the Owner/Manager of the newest cafe in town "Jessie's Lunch Hut" (translated name), her name was Jessika Nouleun, her and her husband Charles owned and ran the cafe. (Names used with permission). I was hired along with my then best friend Alexis. We worked Monday - Thursday 5pm - 9pm, Friday 5pm - 11pm. And every second Saturday 10am - 4pm... My dad would take us home at the end of the shift. We loved the work, we were earning $12US an hour and double time on Saturday. We made so many friends with regulars and had a lot of good conversations with people who came and went everyday... Best of all we made great friends with our great bosses Jessika and Charles. And were often invited with our families to come to dinner at their place for special holiday celebrations. Along with a third waitress Veronique, we became like extra children for Jessika and Charles who were a older couple in their late 50's at the time and their children had already left home and got married.

The building the cafe was in was built in 1949 after the Second World War. The building had been built on where an old dress shop had been before the Nazi's had bombed it out and 5 people had been killed including the dress shop owner and her 1yr old son in his pram at the time. Jessika and Charles were aware of the site history and let me know when I asked about the building because it was in late Art Deco style and I loved then and still love Art Deco (One of the Reasons I did my Arts Degree). And they let me know as much as they could. As they had bought the shop from the son of the man who had the new shop built in 1949. And he had let them know all he could. I'm glad he did I learned a lot. And also found out why a lot of strange things that happened around the cafe did what went on. Being that I loved the idea of ghosts and had previously had contact with ghosts in my young life.

I was looking forward to meeting the shops ghostly extras, my friend Alexis too was excited to come across them. And it didn't take long before the spirits showed themselves to us:

CASE 1: The Kitchen Ghost: A man in his 40's? Possibly a bit older dressed in a suit from around the early 1950's. Seen walking around the kitchen, in and out of the walk in pantry. Talks to himself and slams the pantry door and stomps around when he was annoyed. HE Was identified as: The original owner who built the store in 1949. He died in 1980 in the kitchen area of the cafe (It was a kitchen and walk in pantry in his life too) from a Heart Attack. He was a Chef and the way we saw him was apparently the way he behaved in the kitchen in life. He still did this as a spirit. He never really spoke to us workers. But Jessika and Charles both had him ask them "Who Are you? This is my kitchen so get out." He apparently wasn't pleased they were in his old kitchen. For us waitresses he would just glare and grumble at us. And sometimes swear under his breath at us. Not the nicest of persons.

CASE 2: Two men dressed as French Soldiers from WWII age uniforms. Sitting at the two seat table right next to the front door. They'd come in and take a seat and order a coffee each. You would go off and get a coffee and come back to get money from them before bring them the drinks and they would have just vanished. This would happen every Saturday Morning between 11am and 12pm. We brought this up with Jessika and Charles and they had noticed them too and thought they were just deserters, taking off without paying. When we realized they hadn't even had their coffees delivered to them yet. After talking to Jessika, we realized we had all seen them wearing well outdated uniforms...RESEARCH: Revealed; The two policeman were probably the two policeman shot by Nazi soldiers inside the front of the original cafe building before it was bombed. They were killed according to the newspaper report that covered their shooting deaths. They had been shot in the backs while unarmed by a Nazi officer. On a Saturday morning. Somewhere between 11am and 12pm.

CASE 3: The sounds of a crying baby and a sobbing woman from the owner/manager's office at the back of the building. All of us working there on several occasions heard the baby crying and a woman sobbing late at night just before closing. REVEALED; We believe with much research that this is the mother and son that were killed when the bomb hit the building in the war. As the original buildings office was roughly in the same place as the new building was. And the bomb was dropped on the building around 9pm. Killing them instantly. And around the same time we heard the crying.

OTHER GHOSTS; Seen By All Of Us More Than Once: An old lady and her little poodle that would sit at the far right table at the front of the cafe. She would disappear as soon as you went to talk to her right in front of you. Two Ladies who looked liked models who would walk in the door and disappear as they got to the counter. Dressed in late 1960's clothes. An old couple who would sit and chat in a booth close to the kitchen doors. They would sit and talk and then after 2-3 minutes just vanish into thin air. An old guy smoking a cigarette would stand out the front and look in the window and suddenly just disappear into thin air right in front of you. A well to do old lady we would always see almost daily walking around and around inside the cafe going from table to table and then walk out the door. She would disappear just as she reached the door opening. A waitress who would lean on the door inside the kitchen and watch you working in the kitchen and just disappear right in front of you as you were watching. Others would sometimes come and go. We loved watching them come and go. It was fantastic. We all loved watching them around the place.

I worked there for nearly two years when I left to go back to the UK to go to college at Cambridge University.

My parents moved to the USA when I was in the last year in college in the UK. They now live in Florida where my Mum grew up. My dad died from a heart attack in 2009. His mother died from Kidney Failure in 1999. My wonderful mother Annalissa is still alive. And she visits and stays with me for a week twice a year. I love her staying here when she does. My siblings are all over the world from the UK, USA, Australia and Japan. I don't see them very often. But we talk.

Jessika and Charles have sadly both since passed on. The cafe is run by someone else now. But I would always thank them for giving me my first great job. They were really good people.

Anyone who likes France and decides to go there on holiday, go and visit Reims its a brilliant place. And has a lot of great ghosts. And a lot of great old buildings and history to enjoy. It's a ghost hunters paradise... Hope you've enjoyed the story. I'll write some more stories down soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MsWrestlersGhost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-10)
VermontVampyre,
"What makes it worse is that the site staff had to spend time reading and editing crap like this before publishing it when there are truer stories waiting their attention." I read that twice before I got it!
At first I took it wrong, like you were taking the staff to task. But now, I think I got it 😊
I think finals are frying my brain.
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-09)
To think that someone would lie just to get a story published.

When I read this I thought 'FAKE' but didn't want to say it down here. However, seems like gut instinct wins again. Gotta say its bad when even the mods of a site call you a liar...

What makes it worse is that the site staff had to spend time reading and editing crap like this before publishing it when there are truer stories waiting their attention.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
Aww, Argette, thank you very much. And thank YOU, Rook, for clearing up the mystery of the 50505 for me. I wish I had known that little 'trick' sooner. All too often I wanted to post something so that the teller (writer) would know it was at least read, and just didn't have 50 words to say! Hard to believe, I know. πŸ˜‰
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
Thank you! I have been wondering what all those 50s meant. Rook and Val, you were reading my mind.

Val, you are a great addition to this site.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
valkricry,

I'll answer your question...

There is a 50 character (minimum) limit to be able to post so quite a few members, including myself and a MOD or TWO will type the number 50 over and over to make up the difference so we can post a comment.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
[at] beautifuleden: what do all those 505050 mean, please?

The question is raised, "why do people tell bogus stories?" Sometimes it's just a means of getting attention, wanting people to think more of them, then they believe themselves to be. (Does that make sense?) And sometimes, it is the challenge of 'fooling the experts'. And once in a great, great while, you will run into someone who actually believes in their own lies. That is an illness and should be pittied. And then there are those, who apparently think sharing experiances is kin to some 'contest' - mine is scarier then yours. Which is pretty stupid. Lies are like snakes, they'll twist about and bite you in the tukus when you least expect it. As Miracles51031 points out, caught out in a lie, and everything you have said becomes suspect.
I would point out that not everything containing details or well written is a lie. Some people are just really good with the written word. But when someone over-explains, you do begin to wonder.
[at] goldduster, who says your experiances are boring? I agree with zzsgranny on this one. Sometimes 'boring' are the best ones! An experiance does not have to have danger/OMGness to BE worth sharing. Post them up, and let us judge for ourselves 😊.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
beautifuleden: Well, people with this type of psychosis can be very convincing. We haven't heard the last from him/her πŸ˜†.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-20)
oh wow, can't believe this is fake! I still was thinking, "oh what a nice story and so well written!" haha she got me!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Narella - you're welcome and since I know this requires at least 50 characters, I'm trying to fill this up πŸ˜†
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Thank you Miracles for the kind words and the directions for editing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
And Narella? Don't feel dumb. I would bet there are a dozen stories on my favorites list that aren't true. Everyone falls for it at least once or twice. It's nothing to feel bad about.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Narella - if you go to your profile, under the edit profile option you'll find your favorite stories listed.
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
I feel dumb. I put one of her stories on my favorites list. Is there a way to take it off?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Shlain - to sum it up, from the "facts" so thoughtfully provided in MsWG's profile to those in all her stories were not true. Fabricated would be a better word, I think.

Dreamerxx - thank you 😊
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Dreamerxx,

How did they figure it out?

I can't believe the nerve she had to actually comment on some stories like she was an expert.

Tsk tsk!
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Shlain MsWrestlersGhost was a fake and the mods and everyone who helped debunk her did a brilliant job, its a shame she did what she did and hopefully we won't see her again (under a new name) and I'm sure the team will catch her out if she does.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Wait, MrsWrestlersGhost's stories are fake? Or am I just getting the comments wrong...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
The goalie (s) are trying to their best to defend the goal. Fortunately there are plenty of fouls πŸ˜†

I'd better quit now because I'm running out of terms that might sound like I know what I'm talking about LOL.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-01)
Perhaps one day, she/he will slip one past the goalie... Get her/his kicks. Although that might only encourage more submissions.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
Pjod - I don't know, we might end up with a story later on from a different account πŸ˜‰ I don't think this one has give up, just changed names... Again πŸ˜†
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
Is it safe to assume "she" is not visiting France later this year?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
Cohendy: Yeah, that was an assumption on my part πŸ˜†...Thanks for the swift kick πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Cohendy - I've wondered the "why" part in every story submitted and the only conclusion I can reach is this.

There was so much detail given, it's like the person who over-explains a lie, hoping they are giving you so much information you wouldn't question anything. After all, they're volunteering everything, so why would anyone doubt anything they're saying, right?

Who would think someone would have anything to hide if they were filling their stories with, as I refer to it, "cotton candy" to camouflage the fact that there is nothing to substantiate the story.
Cohendy (1 stories) (20 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
I meant "so many" not "not many"... (and yes, I did proof-read my previous post before submitting, thank god it's friday...)

I'm just wondering, if I were to make up stories about a city, what would prevent me from simply going on google map, look for a real restaurant and give a real address?
Man if you want to lie, you'd better do it well.
Cohendy (1 stories) (20 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Mmmh, just one for her defense (but one, not more) : I'm french, I could not understand Latin to save my life, even though I studied it for 2 years. This dead tongue is awfully complex compared to modern french.

But hey, that's a detail. And there are not many WRONG things about Reims and french school (and french law about teenagers working in a place where alcohol is sold) in this story that it made me cringe...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
airstream: When a story is submitted, you're asked where the story took place... For instance, I live in Nevada, but some of my stories take place in Ohio... Hope that helps...But, these "stories" never took place, sooo πŸ˜†
airstream (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
I just noticed that he/she says they are in France and in other stories they say they are in NC. I am not sure if that was explained by them in any of their "stories", if so I don't remember it. Just noticed this and thought it to be interesting. By the way, I googled Kahn the horse from one of the other stories and couldn't find anything.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
goldduster - I think one thing we have all learned is not all true experiences are "OMG!" or "scare the hell out of you" stories. More often than not, they really are normal experiences. I won't use the word boring πŸ˜‰, but I'm sure everyone I tell my stories too probably would πŸ˜†

Whenever you're ready to share, we'll be here.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
goldduster: They don't have to be exciting, just true 😁...Personally, I find the so called "boring" ones a lot more entertaining and interesting 😊
goldduster (55 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
That is why I come hear everynight because everyone does a good job finding out who the fakes are My stories are pretty boring thatis why I haven't posted them yet

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: