You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House Sitting For My Neighbor, My First Real Scare

Real Ghost Stories

House Sitting For My Neighbor, My First Real Scare

 

Back when I was 21, a former neighbor who is a good friend of mine came over to ask if I could house sit and care for the family dog while they went out of town for the weekend. I agreed considering I had the weekend off from work, besides my buddy always having the up to date big screen and stereo made it a plus lol. So that Thursday night he came over to the house and gave me the key before he, his wife and 3 daughters left for their trip. They had let the dog out and of course left him water and food for the night so I didn't go over their until the next morning.

So the next day I go over in the morning to let the dog out and fill his water bowl. While I'm over there in the house watching tv and waiting for the dog to bark to be let back in I start to remember about the girls telling me from time to time about them thinking the house was haunted and such. They would speak about sounds like someone walking up and down the stairs or someone walking into their rooms. I never really believed them because after all, at the time they were 10, 14 and 17. I figured it was just big sis trying to scare the younger ones and their minds were taking it from there. Plus the house is connected to another house and the stair cases ran up the same wall, so I just figured the noises they were hearing was neighbors walking up the steps and throughout the upstairs because that's what I have heard before.

So basically with those thoughts out of my head I went back home, catered to my own dogs and collected some cds, movies and my gaming system to enjoy the brand new big screen and killer stereo across the street. Around 5pm I got settled at my neighbors, left my dogs outside in my backyard while I was gone to avoid accidents in my home because I knew I'd be gone for awhile.

So the first night comes and goes without a hitch, watched a movie, played a game or 2 and watched some Sports Center. Before I left the house I made sure the dog was topped off on water and food and went home. The next day is when things seemed a little off. I go over in the morning and I noticed the dogs water bowl was empty, which would not be an issue if there wasn't water all over the kitchen floor. The bowl was in the spot where I left it next to the food but the water was all over the kitchen floor. At the time I figured the dog just might have pawed the bowl, maybe as a reaction to not liking his owners gone and being alone at night. So I let him outside to go to the bathroom and I cleaned up the floor and put fresh water in the bowl and refill his food and left to tend to what I needed to do at home.

Later that afternoon I go back over to let the dog out again and hang out. I open the door to find the dog just staring at the couch like someone is sitting in it, at first he doesn't even acknowledge that I'm there until I walk behind the couch and and give the order to go outside. Again I'm not even thinking anything really weird, hell the dog was weird anyways lol. As I go to let the dog out I notice his food is now on the floor, and not just a few pieces but every bit of his food on the kitchen floor and the bowl is sitting right where it was left. Now I'm getting pretty curious as to what the heck is going on, but I blame the dog again thinking he is just frustrated with the family being gone as dogs do have a tendency to get depressed or saddened when their owners are gone for a longer amount of time than they are used too. So I don't think about it and clean up the food, top off his water and let him back in.

That night at around 11pm I'm playing a video game and the dog is just laying down on the love seat and chewing on one of his toys, then all the sudden the dog just bolts and runs up stairs and back down again. This repeated like 5 times and I'm just watching and almost laughing because it just seemed funny. Then he ran back into the living room and stopped right in front of me and it looks like he is staring right above my head. That's when I got freaked out a bit because for like what seemed about 20-30 seconds he was as still as a rock, didn't move a muscle or shake his tale and was just staring.

Then all the sudden he growls and lunges on and over the couch and takes off upstairs running and barking like he had a purpose. He did this like 3 more times and again ran into the living room, stopped immediately in front of the love seat and stared again like something was standing right behind it. This time is a little different because I notice his head snap to the right, then back to the left and then quickly he looks in my direction and again growls and lunges up and over the couch and takes off back upstairs. This time when he went upstairs though he stayed there for like what I'd say about 2 minutes just barking like he has something trapped but can't exactly get to it. Then as quickly as it started, he stopped barking and came back downstairs and laid on the couch next to me like nothing happened. I left the house that morning again late, locked up and went home. I felt kind of worried leaving the dog alone but I couldn't bring him home with me because of my dogs. So I go home and go to bed.

The next morning I woke up I was in a hurry to check on the dog. I opened the door and the poor thing was already waiting for someone to let him out the back door. I let him out and go check his food and water and everything was normal, there was a little food in the bowl but he needed more water. At that point I'm thinking the dog was again just having anxiety issues and left it at that. Well while I'm watching tv the front door opens and my friend and his family are home, they had to cut their little getaway short because the youngest child got sick. Anyways, we talked and they asked how the dog was and all the normal small chatter. I told them about how the dog knocked over his food and water and how he acted the night before and immediately the oldest daughter raised her voice and said "that wasn't the dog, it was a ghost. And if you don't believe me go sleep in my room for a night and you will find out I'm not joking". I look at my friend and he told me "Go for it and tell me what you think because she won't sleep in there anymore and when I tried to prove her wrong I also felt very uneasy in the room by myself". At first I thought he was joking or just trying to get a rise out of me but he was dead serious. In short, I accepted the challenge, because at that time in my younger life I was always down for a dare.

A little background about the room, it was a storage area and converted into a bedroom. You have to go into the last bedroom on the second floor, open the closet in that room in which there is another door inside that closet that leads to the storage room. They had to fashion a room out of it because the house is originally a 3 bedroom, and with their daughters getting older they all wanted their own room naturally. So they built the bedroom for the oldest daughter. It was done very nicely except there are no windows, but it was very spacious. The oldest slept in that room for about 5 months before she had enough of whatever was happening and either slept on the floor in her sisters room or slept downstairs on the couch.

So that night I make sure my dogs will be good until the next morning and head back over to my neighbors for dinner and prepare for the dare, of course making little jokes and I notice that none of the girls are taking them very lightly and giving me the common response of "just wait, you will see". I'm a little uneasy but I try not to psych myself out and just get ready to go to bed. I get into the room and the 14 year old asks me if I want her to leave her door to the closet open and I just tell her not to worry about it and I tell them goodnight and close the door behind me.

I laid down in the bed and shut the lights off and try to go to sleep, its pitch black in the room so I can't even see my hand right in front of me. I stayed up for maybe 30 minutes and heard nothing during that time, so by then I was pretty much calmed down and I fell asleep. Later on I woke up to some slight tapping noise, but then I remember the water heater is in the room and that's what the sounds were coming from, but I still woke with a feeling of uneasiness. After about 10 minutes the feeling just started escalating and that's when I heard the dog barking and running up the stairs. The dog was in the girls bedroom and barking right at her closet door. I could hear the oldest wake up telling the dog to be quiet and then she yelled from the room "Are you awake, you ok in there?", in which I replied simply "Yeah I'm awake but I'm fine, goodnight again".

Well as it turns out I wasn't fine, not maybe 10 seconds after I responded I had the most terrifying experience of my life. As I'm laying on the right side of the bed I thought what I heard was 2 footsteps right next to the bed. Of course I can't see a dang thing because its pitch black so of course I'm feeling seriously vulnerable at this point. Then, with no regard I feel the left side of the bed sink in, first like someone is sitting or kneeling down on that side. Then just a few moments later that whole side sinks in like someone is now laying in the bed next to me. I didn't make a movement or a sound but inside I was screaming bloody murder lol. The side I'm laying on is against the wall, the side that now feels occupied by someone else is towards the door so not only am I feeling completely freaked out I feel like I'm trapped and there is little I can do about it.

So I slowly reach over and I feel nothing next to me, then I feel the bed and I confirm that it is sunk in. I made the decision in my mind I was just going to bolt but just getting started seemed impossible at that point. That is until the dog went nuts again, the bed shifted like it got up and I felt a good tug on the blanket and I blindly bolted in the direction I knew the door was in. I knocked over the night stand and ran into the wall next to the door lol. The girls started screaming when they heard the "thud" I made and were flipping out because I almost took out both doors trying to get out lol.

I got back into the girls bedroom and the dog stood at the closet door seemingly keeping what was there at bay. At that point I truly believed them and I never went into that room again, and based on my experience told my friend to never make any of the girls sleep in that storage room either. They never did, and they ended up moving out of that house a year later. We still talk about that incident, of course joking and laughing about it now, about how the walls damn near came down from me forcing my way out lol. I'll never forget that experience for as long as I shall live, it was my first real time experiencing something truly paranormal and it's what got me interested in the subject.

Since then 5 different families have lived in that house, I never really got to know them so I couldn't tell you if they experienced anything odd going on in the home. The closest thing I can speculate about was about 2 years ago when I was coming home from work and 2 cop cars were outside that house. I stopped and ask the neighbor if they were ok and what was wrong and she told me that her son ran to her room crying saying someone was in his room so she got up and locked her door and called 911. She said she thought she heard footsteps in the next room and the hall but wasn't totally sure. The cops checked the home and found nothing and couldn't see any point of forced entry or a unlocked door or window in the home. She moved out about 4 months later. The home was just recently rented by a new couple, they have been there for about 2 months, but for now everything seems all quiet.

Other hauntings by TheDon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheDon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

migelito23 (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-03)
Thats really scary and spooky it takes a lot of guts to sleep in that
Storage room all by yourself with darkness with no windows. My respects for you for the bravery. Do you ever seen the ghost who was
Doing those weird noises at night.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
No they never said they heard any voices as I recall, just the footsteps throughout the upstairs. The oldest told me that she had her covers pulled on before but never felt someone laying in the bed.

As far as their new homes they have been in they haven't experienced anything like that since. The youngest still lives at home with the parents and the other two moved out with their husbands and nothing from those houses either. I have spent the night in all their homes numerous times and never noticed anything wrong either.

I have heard of EVP, want to do it on my home but I would really like to do it on my friends old house. But since I don't even know my neighbors I'm not going to try and make friends just to accomplish that lol. Perhaps one day they will act funny or move out quickly and ill make small talk. I mean if something is still going on in that place somebody is going to eventually say something about it I figure, especially if its as rude to them as it was to me. Time will tell I guess.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
TheDon,

It would take research, investigation and 'time'. In the experience you have shared with us one I do not think you mentioned they were hearing voices. So one of the 'easier ways' may be to conduct an EVP session. EVP stands for Electronic Voice Phenomenon... You tale a recording device, start it and then ask a question, pause, ask a question, pause...ect. Once you are done you play back your recording and see if you can hear a voice that you did not during the actual 'recording session. You can use any type of recorder but Digital ones generate less 'background' noise and its easier to 'hear' any voices you may have captured

So research combined with EVP verification could allow you to tell the difference... But its not 'foolproof' as you my not 'capture' any voices on the recorder (s).

Another thing... Did the 'experiences' move with the Family? Now that they have settled in someplace new have they experienced the same things? Different things? These may also be indicators of 'what' the family is experiencing.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Is their any particular way to differentiate the two scenarios? Or in other words figure out if this was a creation of the mind or a ghost feeding off the energy?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
TheDon,

Depends on how many others in the household have 'fed' thoughts into the 'thought form' being a real 'spirit'.

If the entire family were to move and a new family were to move in and they did not give credit to a spirit creating the noises then it would indeed fade over time. Not having 'energy' fed into it would allow it to dissipate.

Yes, its 'impressive' that something like this 'may' happen, but how often do we create our own 'Haunts'? Paranormal ones or otherwise?

The other option is that a spirit/entity was attracted in and was happy with the energy it received by acting in exactly the way the Family 'reported' it did. This 'haunting' would also fade once the 'energy' drops off as the girls complete Puberty, it would fade because the spirit/entity would leave as the 'energy source' that attracted it in was no longer there.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
So the girls basically created this manifestation through energy and mind power? That would be impressive to say the least.

But in any case wouldn't that energy basically "go away" after the girls left the home?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
TheDon,

As far as what you experienced in that room... Theory time... The 'spirit' was not an 'actual' spirit but a thought construct 'given life' between the two girls going through Puberty...

The oldest begins Puberty... Hears a few sounds and tells her Parents/Siblings about it. They hear some sounds and 'give credit' to this 'Spirit'...then the next Daughter begins Puberty and the 'activity' increases because of the 'extra energy' now in the home. The oldest now begins to report the feeling of something in her room, something that lays down on her bed... The other Family members already believe there is a 'spirit' but its really PK activity being generated by the two young girls as their bodies and minds develop.

Enter you... You go into the room, lay down on the bed and experience the exact same thing the oldest girl says is happening... No changes... The exact same thing... This is because this 'spirit' this 'haunt' cannot do anything but what the individuals in the home say it does. This is because its not a 'real spirit' but a thought construct that can only 'preform' the deeds those who 'created' it give it credit for.

I hope that makes sense... It boils down to this... What started out as PK type Poltergeist Activity took on a form because of the thoughts of the individuals in the household, and it can only do those things their thoughts 'say' it can.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
One thing I can tell you is I don't like the fact that ghosts/spirits can see in the complete dark apparently, that is not fair lol.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Haha Rook, make sure you get in those 50 characters. Very interesting indeed though. I know my water heater is electrical, but I couldn't tell you if my neighbors is/was. I do believe ghosts/spirits are intelligent as well, I just never really took the time to understand EMF and its correlation to the paranormal, but it makes perfect sense considering they do need energy to complete whatever task it is they are trying to achieve.

The "puberty" situation makes sense as well, finding that many ghosts feed off emotion teenagers would be a great catalyst. So their fear they were obviously putting off and the energy their body creating could very well have created one hell of a beacon to attract paranormal activity.

One thing I have always wondered though about my personal experience in that room. Why in the heck would it lay down with me? I have always wondered it's intent. I always ask myself what if I got up and ran while it was in the bed, what kind of reaction would it have made? Or what if I just acted normal and avoided it would it have gone to even more extreme measures? All these questions almost have me curious enough to want to try again, but then I think about what is said about curiosity and that cat it likes to kill lol.

I guess that's just part of the "game" to say it bluntly.

I have a feeling I'm going to be learning a lot from you Rook lol, your info is much appreciated
😁.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
TheDon,

Whoops forgot to add...😲 505050

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
TheDon,

I am of the opinion that spirits/entities are 'Intelligent Energy' and as such they use energy in order to manifest, move objects or make noises. They can 'draw' the energy they need from the environment (causing cold/warm spots), from individuals (causing weakness in the person) or from Electromagnetic Energy generated by 'Modern Life'. With that LONG explanation out of the way...

I may be wrong about the water heater, IF its gas, however if its electric then the chance for an electromagnetic field increases... Especially if the 'electronics' portion of the water heater is not shielded properly. This applies for any electrical wires, breaker/fuse boxes or electronics in a home.

As far as how Puberty can effect 'energy' levels in a home. Our bodies run on electric impulses, at times, such as when a body goes through Puberty, those impulses increase adding 'energy' into the environment. Sometimes when these energy levels are 'high enough' a couple of things MAY happen. Telekinetic Outbursts from the individual going through Puberty these may be connected to emotional stress... The other possibility is that the energy generated by the body as it goes through these changes 'attracts' a 'spirit/entity' into the home and this 'spirit/entity' shows its around by moving objects, making noises... Any number of things that it has the 'strength' to do. It gets it strength from the 'energy' produced by the individual going through Puberty.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Troyarn, Thanks for reading. And go to bed easy knowing this took place a great deal away from you;).

Rook, I really had no idea a water heater could be somewhat of a primer for uneasy feelings or even assist in attracting ghosts. Learn something new everyday I guess. Which is really interesting to say the least because of with what's going on in my house. The water heater is literally on the other side of my wall in my bedroom.

And could you please explain how a girl going through puberty could be a catalyst in this? I mean is it the emotions they go through that make it an attractive "space" for a ghost or entity? And does it work the same for younger boys as well going through puberty?

I never realized how intricate the paranormal could be, I'm trying better to understand the subject.

And the boy of the mom who called the police was 6 years old if I recall correctly. He was just a little guy. The mom couldn't have been any older than 30 at the time, but I'm just guestimating on her because she was rather young looking.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
TheDon,

A couple of things struck me about this experience...

First: The room was a converted 'storage space' and you mentioned the Hot Water Heater was in the room... The uneasy felling may have been (at least in part) due to high EMF levels... And these may have contributed to how the dog was reacting as well.

Second: You mentioned the age of your Friends daughters... One was 17 another 14... Two teenagers going through Puberty at the same time, coupled with high EMF may have 'generated' a 'prime environment' for Poltergeist Activity or at least generated enough energy a 'spirit/entity' was attracted to the home. Do you remember how old the ladies son was at the time she called the police?

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more experiences from you.

Respectfully,

Rook
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
I enjoyed this story very much, TheDon. Very freaky and well written. Thanks so much for sharing. Now going to sleep will be that much harder.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
BabySquatch, thanks for reading but I assure you I was just as scared as you might have been. Like I said before if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have tested the situation lol.

Shlain, glad you enjoyed it. I agree that whatever is in there is not really malevolent or mean, but maybe a jokester or possibly just wanting attention. For all I know it was just playing with the dog lol. I mean the girls never mentioned being attacked in any way, just having weird experiences that scared them.

And yes I will share the experience at that old children's home very soon, I'm sure you will get a kick out of it. It's creepy and funny, but a very genuine experience. Ill make sure and contact you when I get it posted:) .
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
PS: Eager to read the story of the abandoned home for children with tuberculosis. Give me a shout when it's been published. I don't always have time to browse here but I'm a sucker for a good story.

Palmrena [at] gmail.com
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
TheDon,

Brilliant story. Well narated. I loved it.

Clearly something was messing with the dog. It was moving all around the house and the dog was chasing after it as it was moving. The good thing about this is that it doesn't seem like a negative entity. Rather a mischievous one.

I can imagine you trying to bulldoze your way through the doors trying to get out 😆

Thanks for sharing
BabySquatch (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
Well written, that really gave me the chills. You're a braver person than me. I would have run straight out the front door & never looked back!
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
JennZ,

I don't think its a previous owner of that house in particular. I have been in the neighborhood a very very long time and know that nobody has died in that house.

So if anything it has to do with the old owners of the property, this was a huge farm land before it was a neighborhood.
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Great Story! Maybe the spirit is a previous owner and doesn't want to leave and obviously doesn't want anyone else in their home...
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Hades666,

Thanks but I wouldn't call it bravery, because honestly if I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't do it over again lol.

And I'm currently doing some research on the neighborhood I live in, it was originally farmland owned by 2 or 3 families. Not much info on the net so I'm going to do some old school research on the area and see what I can come up with.
Hades666 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
One thing came to my mind when I read this and that was: you are VERY brave! Just wanted to ask though, do you know any background history about that house as to why it may be haunted. Great story though enjoyed reading it.
TheDon (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
PeachyPumpkins000, thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

And yeah, dogs strike again lol. This and my other story are the only ones having to do with dogs. From now on I'm going to be paying a lot more attention to others dogs lol. But yeah everyone is safe, I'm not sure if whatever is in that home is necessarily evil but it will sure scare the crap out of you.

But yeah there has to be something in that home, its only 1 of 2 places that I'm 100% positive something is truly going on. The other place I'm going to share about isn't as scary really, the setting might be because it all took place at an abandoned home for children with teberculosis back in the early 1900's. But the story is good for a laugh at myself, as what I experienced was genuine, my reactions is what pretty much made it hilarious. I wish I had a recording of myself so I could show everyone what amazing things your body is capable of when you are scared:) .
PeachyPumpkins000 (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-08)
Wow! Some experience! I like how you narrated it and I do believe that there is something in that house. I'm glad you and the rest of the family were safe and that they eventually moved out. Its just too bad that the place keeps getting sold and rented and sold again, but I wouldn't blame the people, haha. It's always the dog, isn't it? 😉 Thanks for sharing! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: