You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Great Grandma

Real Ghost Stories

My Great Grandma

 

When I was about 8 years old my great-grandma had several heart attacks and became very ill. The last one was the worst and she was unable to recover from it. I know she wasn't there mentally anymore, but I have some questions about what happened the day she died.

A couple of days before she died, she began snapping out of her confused state and was very lucid. My mom was at her house taking care of her and my great-grandma kept asking her to feed the babies. All she would talk about most of the time was the babies. My mom also heard her several times talking to people that weren't there. I know my great-grandma had several miscarriages throughout her life.

On the day she died she became basically unconscious. We knew she didn't have long and my whole family prayed around her for a good 2 hours. The thing that is mostly confusing me is what happened the minute she died. Like I said, she was unconscious (almost comatose), but suddenly she opened her eyes like she was looking at something or someone above her. She raised her arms towards the ceiling and smiled. She died like that with her arms up.

I'm 22 now and it is something that I have been wondering about for a long time. I'd like to know if anyone knows what she might have seen. My great-grandpa died in 1993 and they had been married since the late 1930's. He died suddenly on Christmas morning and she never got to say goodbye. I'm wondering if it could have been him or maybe

God? My great-grandma was a devout Catholic. Also about the babies, I'm curious about what it could have been. Could they have been her lost children?

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Kayla

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kaylamarie22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Geetha,
I can not argue with you there. Nobody has the right to look down on anyone else, and everyone has a right to their own opinon. I just find it very sad, when someone is so obstinate they can not concede that their way might not be the only way. As my Mama always said, People who set themselves up on high pedestals, shouldn't be surprized when they get bloody noses. 😉
~ Val
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
valkricry,

I think it's the principal of it. Miracles could be right or wrong, although she is a MOD, she is human like us and she will make mistakes. Hell, even HotRod could be right (although half of the time he isn't) but that doesn't give HotRod doesn't have the right to look down his nose at other people and treat like them crap. I would like to think there would be people around the world that would be willing to defend someone without meeting them directly.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
Shucks, Geetha. I only spoke the truth. At least truth as I see it. 😳
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
Valkricry and Granny,

I voted for you to many time so it's not letting me now but I give points for both your comments. Also, I give an standing ovation for you and granny for defending Miracles.

Miracles,

I know you are not going to but just wanted to let you know not to let Hotrod get into your head. He is not worth your time or energy.

Hodrod,

Does it come naturally to you or do you have to practice really hard to be the annoying, arrogant bigot you are? How is possible that you can rub so many people the wrong way? And this is saying a lot because I could put up with a lot crab from people.

Kaylamarie22,

Sorry for overtaking your story but some people just make me mad. I had it when they think they know it all and look down on people when they make suggestions. Just try to ignore them.

As for your story, I agree with many of the posters here. As for the miscarriages your great grandma experienced, my believe is that the Higher Power took them with him before they could spend time on earth. He is the only one to know the reasons. Your great grandma could be talking about her living children or like granny said the grandchildren in the family.

As for your great - grandma, lifting her arms and smiling before she died, I totally agree with the others that someone she loved (probably her husband) came to guide her over. There is a theory that when someone is close to dying or has a near death experience, they are more open to seeing people that passed either to protect you and to make sure you are well enough to stay on earth or to guide you over to the other side.

Just be glad that your great - grandma is now in peace and she doesn't have to suffer anymore.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
Oh Hotrod 😆 - I guess I missed the part where you know everything. Guess I also missed the part where you've been following my comments and deem yourself competent enough to judge whether or not I'm off the mark 😉

Believe it or not, this is exactly what I needed. You make me laugh. I don't take you seriously, just in case you might make the mistake and think I do.

Now I'll finish reading granny and val's comments.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
kaylamarie: Here're my thoughts. Did your G-Grandma call you and your siblings her "babies", or did she refer to y'all as "babies" when talking to your parents about you? I don't know about anyone else, but my Grand-daughters are "the babies" (even though one is 8 years old LOL) to me and my husband and their other Grandparents. When I speak to my Mom (their G-Grandma) she refers to them as "the babies" 😊. I feel that your G-Grandma was probably not wanting to be a burden, as many elderly believe they are 😢, even though all we want to do is comfort them in their final hours. I feel she was telling your Mom that it was okay to do for her own family at that time.

As far as her final gestures, in my opinion, she was welcoming whoever came to retrieve her.

Hotrod: I know you don't really know anything about Miracles, but I can tell you her abilities are far beyond mere "intuition". In my opinion, having NDE's doesn't automatically make you psychic or even intuitive. All it makes you is someone who had a NDE. End of story. You have a tendency to rub people the wrong way, whether intentional or not. Your attitude and demeanor are not like anyone I know who has had a NDE. The ones I know are not arrogant, bigoted, condescending, ill-mannered trolls who flaunt their so called "intuitive abilities" like they're someone the world can't survive without. 😐
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
Hmmmmm... One should ALWAYS remember that YOUR beliefs, YOUR experiances are yours and yours alone. To believe that no one else could have a different opinion, a different perpective formed by their OWN experiances thus making their beliefs less valid then one's own is a sign of true tunnel vision of the mind.
My 'intuition' tells me that a certain poster best re-read his post as he has just inserted both feet into his mouth, before I pop him with a book on etiquette.

This comment from Hotrod13 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

kaylamarie22 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
Thank you all for your kindness. It has helped me understand a lot. ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-04-01)
kaylamarie22 - just my own personal belief here, but I believe your great-grandma was speaking of her children who lived, not the ones she lost. I had five miscarriages and have two kids. I'd like to think that when I die my two kids, regardless of their ages when that happens, will be what is on my mind. Those that I lost are already at peace and don't need me anymore and won't miss me when I'm gone.

I had an accident just about a week ago that makes me think this may be true. I hit black ice, rolled and totaled my truck. I thought of two my living kids, so glad that they weren't with me. But I never once thought of the ones I lost.

Your great-grandma could have been remembering her kids when they were babies or just calling them her "babies."

This comment from Hotrod13 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
No one will ever know the answers to your questions; however, your theories sound plausible to me.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-03-30)
Dear Kaylamarie,
I know that the mind can play funny tricks in the very old and dieing. My ex's Grandfather kept calling me 'Elsie' and would refer to hiding in the corn crib from the Nazis. In his mind I was his departed wife, and we were still in WW2.
Your Great-Gran may well have been talking about when her children (Grandma) was a baby or perhaps even farther back if she had younger siblings.
What she saw when she passed? Since she was smiling, I'd like to believe that it was her husband. Someone in the medical field might suggest early onset of rigamortis... But I think you should hang on to the fact that she smiled and raised her arms. She was happy. What ever she saw brought her joy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: