You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Native American Ancestor Showed Me The Way

Real Ghost Stories

Native American Ancestor Showed Me The Way

 

To start I must tell you that I am part of a group of people that goes on hikes and camping. We started camping about three months ago and found that it would be nice to go on a bigger camping trip since we mostly camp near home. This past weekend from May 31st - June 2nd I went camping at the Phoenicia campground in upstate NY and hiking the mountain called Mt Tremper, Ulster, New York with my Group. Their names are Patrick, Jeff, Chris and Tyler.

On the 31st we set out on the road around 2:40 in the afternoon since our friend Chris is still in High school and got to the Phoenicia campground around 8:30. I made dinner and we worked out who will be first for fire watch (where someone will stay up for an hour to watch the fire and keep watch for any animals that would come close to the campground). Tyler was first for watch from 01:00-02:00, Patrick was 2nd from 02:00-03:00, Chris from 03:00-04:00, then Myself from 04:00-05:00 and then I would wake everyone up at the end of my watch and make breakfast.

During my watch I made a pot of coffee on my camper stove and started to set up for breakfast. After setting up I noticed that it was time to wake everyone up and get the food on the stove. We ate breakfast and after we did my friends and I just sat and watched the river by our campsite. While watching the water I saw a bird flying about 40 ft above the water which turned out to be a white horned owl which we all thought was really cool.

My friend Patrick told our group that we were to go hiking up Mt Tremper and I loved the thought of it because I have never hiked up a mountain before. So around 08:30 we got our gear to go hiking but Tyler felt ill so Patrick, Chris, Jeff and myself went on the hike. I made Tyler feel comfortable at camp, before leaving I left him the water cooler and crackers. In the beginning of the hike my friends Chis and Jeff found two large boulders on the incline of the mountain and told Patrick and myself to come and see the view from where they were. Patrick and I just wanted to stay on the path but we felt that the view was something that was not to be missed so we walked up to where they were and it was just gorgeous.

Patrick decided to hike the incline to the next pathway which turned out was way off course. Instead of finding the next path we found ourselves to be lost. Since we were too far from the previous path we continued to hike up to see if we would stumble on a path which we did not and we were about to give up due to fatigue and some dehydration. Jeff found a large boulder to rest on so Chris and I joined him to drink some water. Patrick continued for 90 meters to see if he could find the path. Jeff, Chis and I continued to say that Patrick was getting us lost and that we were never going to find the path. After we complained about Patrick's foolishness we heard a woman make what sounded to be a war cry and then started to sing but we did not understand what she was saying since she was singing in Native American tongue. We heard the singing come from only 100 meters away to our left which was to the east. Patrick heard it and looked around and saw no one near him; it freaked him out since he is afraid of spirits.

After hearing the beautiful song we all gained the strength to continue on. Once we started hiking again searching to find the source of the women, our friend Jeff found a safety wire which led us to an old camp site that was completely deserted and looked to be deserted for many years. We all thanked the spirit for helping us to not give up and continued to hike. Once we walked for only 20 minutes we found the trail which turned out to be farther west and found that the trail did not pass near where we heard the women singing which proved to all of us that the women was a spirit.

My mother told me that my Native American ancestors come from that area so I believe that my mother was right when she told me before setting out on the trip that my ancestors will watch over me and my friends. The Third day we all gathered our belongings and set back out on the road which left us all kind of sad since we did not want to leave because the place was very peaceful and made us all feel like we were at home, but we all needed to leave so we can go back to work on Monday.

I believe that we will be back one day to experience the peacefulness of the Appalachian Mountains. My friends and I are extremely grateful to the spirit woman who helped us find our way.

Other hauntings by WhiteWolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WhiteWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
Very interesting story. I do not know much about native american but those ancestors take care of family. You and friends included. Thats a great feeling to havce such a great family. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
fromtheheart (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-12)
WhiteWolf~
4of my sons and myself will be making our way home to CT to visit family and I am in desperate need of guidance along similar lines what you speak of. I know this is out there, but I'm grappling for answers. Would you be willing to contact me?

~Dawn
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-01)
Whitewolf aka son you're welcome. I am just glad you listen. I had not told you but the day you left I was asking our Native American ancestors to look over you and your friends. I had a warm feeling envelope me to let me know they would.
I will always have your back as you always have mine. I always have your sister and brothers back also but we have a special bond nobody can ever break. I love you.
Love
RedWolf (aka) mom
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-30)
WhiteWolf: Like everyones else here has mentioned I agree this was a great experience very cool, I like hearing about nature and the experiences people have with it. Thank you for sharing with us. 😊

Dan
watermoon (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-25)
What a beautiful experience you had.
Her singing must have been beautiful to listen to.
Do you know what she was saying in her song?
I find it so amazing that our ancestors are keeping an eye out on their descendants.
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-23)
Thanks everyone for the comments 😁

My friends that were with me have been telling all of their friends and family about our encounter which surprised me since my friend pat is afraid of ghosts.

I have always trusted my mother when she tells me that something will happen because she has been right every time. Thanks Mom AKA Redwolf 😁
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-22)
Now that's a fave! I'm positive all of our realitives are watching out for us. I've had a similar expierience. Thanks so much, Whitewolf.
d2424 (5 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
that's an awesome experience thanks for sharing and I would revisit over and over again
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
Fascinating and well told, WhiteWolf. I am envious. Just proves that mothers are more often than not totally correct!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
granny - there are a lot of those "I just don't know exactly where to put you!" stories, aren't there? 😉
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
I have to tell you, I had a hard time trying to figure out how to categorize this. At first I had it as "Visits from family/friends" and went back and forth a few times LOL.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
WhiteWolf, that was awesome! How lucky you are to have your ancestors looking out for you. What a pity Tyler missed the whole experience - I bet he was "wild" when he heard about your adventures?

Thank you for sharing this riveting experience with us. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
whitewolf - what a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. And yes, there is not a doubt that your mom is right. Your ancestors were definitely with you and your friends.

I hope you make every effort to go back and visit that place again and again. I believe you have a "tie" or "connection" there. It's amazing what we can hear when we listen. If only more people would listen with their hearts, as you and your friends did, instead of passing it off as imagination or "just the wind" or something like that.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I enjoyed it tremendously. ❤
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
WhiteWolf: Now that was a very cool experience! I have heard of similar experiences from hikers and campers in the Rockies as well. Sometimes it is a Native American, sometimes a mountain man. Truly someone was watching out for you!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
WhiteWolf: Wow, that just blew my mind 😆. I think your Mom is 100% right. What a great experience. Thank you for posting! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: