You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Military Housing

Real Ghost Stories

Military Housing

 

We (husband, toddler, and I) are stationed at Fort Hood. We've been in this house for a little 2 years, and I (and I assume my son) have had constant experiences. I say I assume my son because his talk is mostly in babbles so he can't exactly tell me.

At first it started with feelings of being watched and like there was something behind me. It scares me, but not in an evil way. But the fact that it feels like a male presence, and it makes me uncomfortable since I usually felt it when I would go to the bathroom. My son, who was 7 months when we moved here, always looked at the same spot on my bedroom ceiling, and in our stairwell.

About a year ago, I started to hear things. Mainly footsteps, but since this is a duplex that was built in the 40s, I attributed it to my neighbors (paper thin walls), but then I would hear it when they were gone. These aren't normal footsteps, but boot steps. Anyone that has heard military boots stomping around knows that it's a very heavy sound.

In April of last year while my husband was away for training, I was laying on the couch watching TV, when I heard someone walking between me and the TV. I never saw anything, but I heard the boot plain as day, and it wasn't from the show I was watching, and it wasn't my neighbors, as they had gone on vacation.

A day or so later, my son was upstairs taking a nap, and I was on my computer, enjoying the silence, when I heard the strangest thing I have ever heard. It was in my stairwell. It sounded like a mixture of birds, rushing water, and loud whispering. Needless to say it scared me. My son wasn't even 18 months at the time, and he's never owned a toy or anything that could make that sound. I called my dad (he's an old military guy and has had weird experiences in the past as well) hoping that he could explain it. But he couldn't think of anything, so told me to just tell myself that it was the water heater, even though it's on the opposite side of the house, so I can fool myself into a piece of mind.

My husband doesn't believe, so when I talked to him about what I heard when he came back, he brushed it aside.

I haven't heard anything really since then, and it's gone back to the watched feeling whenever I go to the bathroom, but now my son will sit in a corner by himself playing, talking in different voices, and will randomly point.

As I said, I don't get an evil vibe from it, but it is a bit creepy. I have had people saying that my son's behavior might be due to autism since he also doesn't like to play with other kids and isolates himself, but he's too young to be diagnosed in my opinion. But the fact that he has told me that he's playing with a friend makes me think it's something in the house, since he's only 2 1/2.

I have heard other stories of Fort Hood and some of the homes here being haunted, since this is a military place after all, but I don't like sharing my house. I did in a lot of the places when I was growing up, and I want a home to be mine for once. I already tried telling whatever is here that this is my house now, but that only stopped most of the sounds, but not all.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nerd_Girl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nerd_Girl (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-20)
Since posting this, things have calmed down a little bit. Less sounds, but still feel like I'm being watched, especially when my husband is gone for more than a night. The people who used to live in the other side of the duplex has had more activity, and I can sometimes here walking when that part of the house is empty.
It seems like the activity in our part of the house depends on how the furniture is set up. When the three of us shared a room (one room had a leaky roof), I would hear walking in the other room. When we had our living room set a certain way, that's when I'd really hear things and certain items go missing. Now that the house has more furniture and our son is on his own room, it's like whatever is here is realizing that this is our space, but still hangs out.
My son has picked up an "imaginary friend", but since he still isn't that verbal ie, speaks in clear English, he doesn't really tell us who it is, but his friend seems nice enough, but they don't stop playing past bedtime.
I have a friend who lives on the other side of post, and she keeps getting sounds on her baby monitor when no one is in the baby's room. I told her that's why I have always refused to get one lol
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
Interesting story here, Nerd_Girl (LOVE the username by the way). I would also agree with other posters on here, try rook's cleansing method. This should help rid your home of unwanted Spirits. And, as a side note, when I began reading your story, I thought that this could be a residual haunt rather than an intelligent haunt. But, since it started "escalating", I would say it isn't a residual haunt.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
Nerd_Girl
As Raftingirl said use Rooks cleansing method.
As for your son talking in different voices toddlers will do that. As for his saying that he's playing with a friend, yes there is probably something there but I wouldn't worry about it unless your son becomes afraid. My major concern is that you say that he babbles. Does he not speak clearly and in sentences? If not bring him to an audiologist ASAP. My son has Central Auditory Processing Disorder. The best way to explain it is there is a short circuit between the ear and brain and the child has trouble understanding what is said to him/her in loud areas. In a cafeteria noise level the audiologist told me he couldn't understand anything that she said. He didn't like playing with a large crowd of children and got angry at parties because it was too loud. By the way kids diagnosed with ADD/ADHD should be tested by an audiologist because CAPD has the same symptoms and ADD/ADHD kids are often misdiagnosed. CAPD is hereditary but is experienced mostly by boys. It is a lifelong problem but most people learn how to compensate. Girls can get this too, I grew up with it but when I was a kid they never tested for anything.
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-28)
I'm thinking that the military boot sounding footsteps could be residual. By that I mean...you're in military housing... How many soldiers' families have lived in that place since it became mil. Housing. I would assume at least 30 soldiers called that place home at some point.

If it is more then just a residual haunt then I would assume that it is the spirit of a soldier protecting what used to be his family's home.
freakedoutfreddy (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-28)
A piping tom ghost! That's even worse than what happened to me.
But I will write my story some time soon
Fromjupiter (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-20)
I'm not saying it's for sure, since it's hard to know with young children. Your son might be sensitive towards spirits - children usually are. We just shove it away when we are older.

If you want it gone completely I would suggest a house cleansing. You can actually do this yourself if your mentally strong and firm. I can imagine it's hard to share your home with spirits and feel safe.
Here is a link to a legit investigator that shows you how:
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_A5RXGwgSw

Hope everything is well:)
Lady_Bug81 (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-20)
I know what you mean about the Fort Hood Military Housing being creepy. When my husband was first stationed in FH we moved into Housing and I would occasionally glimpse a figure walking in front of me and then it would disappear into another room. I mean it would happen so fast and I wasn't even really paying attention, but that's what I think I would see. So, of course, I would look in the room, but no one would be in their. My husband and my son would be in another part of the house. That only happened upstairs. However, I'm not sure I can attribute my experiences their to an unknown entity. My Best Friend who had a crush on me, died shortly before we moved to FH and I believe he was hanging around my family after he died which is another story. He probably knew the problems that I was going to go through with my husband. We ended up separating, but reconciled shortly and I moved back into the house. That night my husband and where upstairs in our room fooling around and suddenly we hear this animalistic, demon like growl next to the bed. It scared the crap out of us. We both looked at exact same spot and said what the hell was that. We slept with light on after that and moved out shortly. Whatever it was demon or ghost of my friend, it was not happy about us getting back together. My husband is currently stationed at FH again and yes, we moved back into military housing (different village), but thankfully this house has been peaceful. I guess it just depends on where you live. Nerd_girl, I think you may be a little sensitive or the ghost choose you because it knows you feel it. I would do the rocks, oils, sage, and pray. Also, try not to be afraid, ignore it, but tell it to leave you alone when you feel you have too. I believe in fighting for your home; however, I draw the line at evil growls then, its time to move LOL.
Nerd_Girl (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
Taurus, I have seen him using the voices, but when he babbles, he uses his tongue to make noises and not his lips, so it doesn't look like it. The voices he makes range from his normal 2 year old voice, to an older sounding child, and down to a really girlish voice.

Elfstone, I have expressed my displeasure to being watched in the bathroom, but it hasn't helped much. Seems like he's as persistent as my husband lol.

I've tried researching my house, but I could only find stories from other homes on post, but my last neighbors told me that they heard things as well. Walking, dishes banging, and doors opening. Seems like their side of the house has been a bit more active than ours, but we lost contact when they moved.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
I would think military housing would have huge haunting issues. I'm with the Rooks clensing method vote, and invite all those wandering souls to go to the light. Thanks for the story.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
Nerd_Girl, That sounds pretty scary to me. It's possible that your husband attributes all this to your fear while he's away. I'd take your dad's advice, it's solid old military technique.

But to really get to the matter, if you want to rid the house of whatever or whomever it is, I'd call on someone named Rook (goes by rookdygin on this site), although I am sure someone else will share his technique for a house cleansing.

In any case, if you haven't been harmed in any way, that is a good thing. Happiness and safety to you. I know it's hard to be married to someone in the military. ❤
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
I'm sorry you're not comfortable in your own home and that your husband is not being supportive. Some of it sounds residual, like the boot sounds. But the others sound like an active haunting. Is there a way you could research your duplex? You might try a house cleansing/blessing. By the way, your husband is probably going to get the stuffing scared out of him at some point. It seems like the bigger the sceptic, the worse that first experience will be.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
If you can sense him watching you when you're in the bathroom, have you told him that? Tell him it's ungentlemanly and he should be ashamed of himself. I'd also see about getting the place cleansed.
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
[at] Nerd_Girl, Since you haven't had any other experiences besides the noises in the hallway, and great description by the way, I'd say have your house cleansed and blessed. And you said your son talks in other voices? Have you seen him make these voices himself? Do they sound like theyre coming from his mouth? I ask this because and not to alarm you but they could very well be the spirit talking and you and your son both can hear it. Good luck amd I truly hope someone can shed a little more light on your experiences. You have made the right choice to post it here, theyre are a lot of others who can help you. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: