You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sa Military Museum

Real Ghost Stories

Sa Military Museum

 

I have now realized that what my medium friend, Tim, told me from the first day I met him, that I am much more sensitive than I can imagine, is 100% true. This being very clearly demonstrated on Sunday, 4 October 2015.

My boyfriend and I took the twins to Johannesburg Zoo, and as we were driving around looking for a parking space, we realized that the Military Museum is also housed on the same premises. My boyfriend, being professionally trained in weapons and tactics, wanted to jump out of his skin at the prospect of going to a military museum. Having a son who is completely fascinated by soldiers (and guns), it was a no-brainer. We marched through the entire Zoo, making our way to the museum. As you enter the gate that separates the museum from the zoo, there is an enormous monument erected. It is basically a concrete gazebo, with an angel sitting on the roof. Engraved on all sides of the roof "SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899". The monument has 10 steps leading up to under the roof, and on the fourth step lay a wreath of dry flowers.

We entered the museum and all around stood restored weapons of all shapes and sizes. The sheer size of the ammunition that was used in many a global war was astounding. We entered a hall with a bust of General Jan Christiaan Smuts welcoming you at the door. Going around the partition the sheer volume of what this room held was breathtaking. Planes stood on the floor, suspended from the ceiling with deceptively fragile-looking cables. To our right, all along the wall, were examples of how the South African Military Uniform had changed over the years. The rear wall held photos of South African and British Generals and the Medals awarded for the various acts soldiers performed (I saw a medal that I knew my dad had received while doing his patriotic duty in the 80's, and learned that it Is a PRO PATRIA MEDAL "For Service in Defence of the RSA or the suppression or prevention of terrorism". I had a proud moment then). Being in front of this board, I was standing with my back to 2 airplanes that had been active in war. As I turned to face the middle of the room, I realized that I was standing directly underneath the tail of a plane. From here on I will explain a few things I experienced, with a link to a picture/pictures, and what I saw.

From the moment that I realized this, I was very aware of two things. Being under this plane made me very anxious, I felt like the plane was going to snap free from the cables and fall on top of me. Directly to my right was another plane, also suspended in the air, but this one did not give me this anxious feeling at all. Seeing as how I was basically boxed in, and I realized that though I was alone in flesh in blood, I was hyper aware of eyes following me. I was not alone in spirit.

My boyfriend had taken the twins to the toilet, and apart from another couple, I was alone. I decided to push through this anxious feeling I had and I started walking under this plane, taking pictures as I went along. As I got to the right wing of the plane, I realized a hatch was open in the belly of the plane. Foreboding hit me as I approached that open hatch and looked up, feeling very clearly like someone was looking back at me from inside that hole. I looked down again and noticed a staircase that had been erected so that one can actually climb up to look directly in to the cockpit. The stairs are a fixed structure, they do not move or sway in any way, and yet with every few steps I could feel someone climbing the steps behind me. As I got up to the level where I could see the entire engine compartment of the plane, which was covered with plexi glass, and just beyond that the cockpit, my attention kept being pulled to the left wing of the plane (so the wing to my right). I took a few pictures from this angle as well, being hyper aware of "someone" being in very close proximity to me as I was hit with wave upon wave of goose bumps. Though I had the anxiousness, I was not scared, if that makes any sense. I knew what I was sensing, but I did not feel threatened. Just anxious as to what may happen.

For those of you who are interested, it is a DE HAVILLAND "MOSQUITO" LIGHT BOMBER. On one of the pictures I took, there seem to be 2 orbs, one larger and brighter than the other, both green. I am not stating that they HAVE TO BE or MUST BE orbs, it is just the feeling that I get. On that same picture a face seems to appear, in the space between the big orb and the wing of the plane, though it could very well just be wishful thinking.

Http://imgur.com/1jfnE2S

Http://imgur.com/ZaaX9rz

When my boyfriend came back with my boys I drew their attention to the back door of the hall, situated where this plane's tail was, and we all piled out of the hall to go and check out the next part of the museum. This was an enormous outside courtyard. There were two pristine jets standing at the entryway, with a small submarine as well as empty shells of bombs stacked all around. The jet to my left held no strange feelings for me, though I was very aware that a lot of eyes were following us as we walked. Stacked just past the jet to our left was an amazing collection of tanks. One drew my attention as the front wind shield was riddled with marks from bullets. I stood right in front of this tank and took a picture of the window. While standing there my whole body was tensed in anticipation, I kept getting mental images of the massive canon on this tank suddenly moving and pointing right at me. Tim, upon seeing the picture, zoomed in to the window. In the left corner of the window is an image of a soldier shielding his face with his arm, though this image comes and goes for me, I can't see him every time I look at the picture.

Http://imgur.com/yyPaI6z

Moving on I came to a spot where there is a glass case with some of the shells that were used in the tanks. Scary to think those huge things were sent shooting out of a weapon and what kind of damage they could inflict. The case was clear, I could see all the shells etc in it, but upon looking at the picture I took, saw a green mist on the left hand side that wasn't there when I was taking the picture. Focusing on it, I started seeing the figure of a young boy seeming to stand between the wall and the shells, and what appears to be some sort of distortion on the right hand side, where I can see a face. I took a picture of my boys close to this display, standing behind one of these weapons, and behind them, a little ways away, is a brick wall. Zooming in on that wall, we could clearly discern at least 5 faces.

Http://imgur.com/howgZ3C

Http://imgur.com/CS1AxZ3

Not far from the glass case I took a picture of my sons, and I noticed, zooming in almost to the far right, between two brick pillars, there is a big vehicle (looks like a jeep or something). I can clearly see a man, with his right arm on the side of the window frame, looking toward my sons. Him I was drawn to. I had no idea why I felt I had to zoom in on the picture, but he is there.

Http://imgur.com/YFG6JGG

In the middle of the courtyard was a passenger plane. I got the same feeling from this plane as from the one in Jan Smuts hall. I knew I was being watched. I took pictures of the plane and was surprised to discover a few faces looking out of the windows. Again, no fear, just angst with being watched.

Http://imgur.com/CXASaBW

In front of and to the left of this plane, yet another one. This one had the emblem of the old SANDF on its nose. Again, I was hyper aware of eyes on me as I moved. The boys were still admiring the tanks, I was checking out the planes on my own. I snapped a few pictures of this plane and Tim could pick up on a few spirits around it, but apart from severe awareness at being watched, and head to toe goose bumps, I could not see anything. But the picture is here, if you want to try and see.

Http://imgur.com/b6vwsQ1

Going back to the entrance of the courtyard I took a picture of my son walking. To his right is a huge weapon, in front of it is the body of what looks to me like a small submarine, behind the sub is a wall with a very clear window. The barrel of a weapon seems to come right up to the window. It may be a trick of the light, but there is a face in that window.

Http://imgur.com/q73i6MU

In another hall, I was delighted to find a Sherman Tank. It had a platform with stairs around it so you could climb up and actually look inside. As I stood bent over the opening to see the inside of this tank, the platform shook, like someone was stomping up the steps heading towards me, and I suddenly had the feeling that I needed to get up and off of the platform, fearing that I would be thrown in to the hatch opening. Could be very bad paranoia, but I obeyed and got away. I also had a very strong feeling that I should not take a picture of the tank. No idea why.

I took nearly 200 pictures and I am drawn, inexplicably to some of them, only to realize that I caught a spirit, or a few, on the ones I feel a strong urge to study. However, I am posting this because of what I felt, the awareness of being around spirits. The reason I say this, is because I have learnt that, as with seeing beauty, it is relative. I may see something that the next person does not, but it does not discredit what I know I have seen and experienced.

Other hauntings by triden07

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, triden07, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-26)
Thank you very much for sharing these images, while I was unable to see the spirit in many of them others leapt out at me, and something about the plane in the first 2 images shook me though I cannot explain what.
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-29)
Thanks so much for your very interesting story triden07. I loved reading it. My Dad was also someone I was proud of so I know the feeling.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-13)
zzsgranny

Thank you very much, I completely agree with you.
permramaan (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-07)
it is obvious you have such a feel. People lived with those machines and died in that along with it. When you love a thing so much, you will be attached to it emotionally. And you will love to be with it even after you die. And if someone is trying to look at it, that's when you feel jealous. Be on the shoes of a ghost. They are so poor and can't show their expressions and feel. Always in dark and alone. I was once in their world, through astral projection (hereditary,from my mom) it was so bad and silent and soooo dark
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
This is not the forum for political discussion. I'll allow the previous comments to stand, but if you want to continue use another medium like e-mail or Facebook. Thank you.
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
LynxKatt
Thank you so much. Could you see anything? Or was it more what you sensed?
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Pie
Were you at all aware of the fact that none of the boys were given a choice? It was mandatory to enlist. So I have a right to be proud of my father. He went and did what was expected of him, and not a single soul lost their life because of him. Attacking me for being proud of my father, would be akin to attacking someone from the USA, who have the same pride in their child, or husband, or wife, or parent fighting in Iraq.

You chose to attack me on political grounds for a paragraph in a telling of ghostly experiences. Way to rip everything out of context. I did not state any political views, did I? I left out what I experienced reading the remembrance wall. Where soldiers names who perished are engraved in the marble. The names are of soldiers, of different races, but they are all remembered. And the inscription at the bottom of the wall says "When you return home, tell those I left behind I died to give them a better tomorrow" I am paraphrasing here, by the way.

Lastly, Pie, you chose your very first post to be an attack, because I dared to mention something personal. Utterly juvenile. You know what, IT IS MY STORY, therefore MY RIGHT. Please, post an experience, and open YOURSELF up to criticism. See how you like it.
pie (1 posts)
-3
8 years ago (2015-11-06)
Unfortunately I was unable to see the reported ghost images in any of the photos. On an unrelated point, being South African myself, I cannot fathom why Triden would feel any pride in her father's "patriotism" and defending the RSA against so-called "acts of terrorism". During the 80's ours was an Apartheid government that was in power by acts of oppression and unjust domination. Anyone who spoke out or fought against this government was accused of and jailed for acts of "treason". As a South African I am ashamed of our history and appalled that anyone could publicly state their pride that a family member took an active part in upholding Apartheid values.
LynxKatt73 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
Wow trident07, those photos are amazing. You are lucky to have been able to capture so many spirits at one time/place.
I am interested in Military History as I have had family who served.
This place sounds fantastic. Got to put this one in the bucket list.

Maybe too just thinking the fear you felt under the plane was the nervous energy left behind by its past crew (s). I felt something similar at a Air Museum in the UK where I live that I went to a few years go now.

The De Havilland was a very interesting plane for its time. Very modern for standards.

LynxKatt73
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
Hi guys
Thanks for the comments

As I stipulated at the end of the story, the pictures are not what I published the story for. The fact that I can see things where I definitely sensed something is good enough for me. It was about knowing where to turn, getting mental images of possibly memories in battle, things like that that are the reason why I wanted to publish the story. Even if no one sees what I see, I know that somewhere someone is going to look at a picture and "read" the history of whatever they see. Besides, even for a girl like me, the planes and tanks and stuff are awesome
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
triden,
Obviously I've read and looked, but I can't seem to really focus on the pictures tonight. I'll have to come back for another look. I got some fairly nasty burns at work today, when I got rammed by a rack holding hot sheets. The girl wasn't paying attention and hit me hard enough I sustained 3 2 degree burns and a bruise all on one arm, and I think it's clouding me, if you follow. But I promise to look again later.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
Hi Triden,
I was able to look at most of your pictures, I did see the two orbs (a little higher up then the wing) you where talking about with the light bomber, and there seemed to be a light blur between them, but I did not see a face. The others your could maybe see something in them, but were not conclusive. So I would have to again, you might have been sensing something, but I'm not sure if you caught anything on film, except for the orbs, Thank you for the story
MrMonty
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
Hi Triden
Thanks for your post. I've looked closely at all the photos and I can't see anything remotely resembling any faces, figures or orbs.
Sounds like you may have been sensing spirits but the photos are inconclusive in my opinion.

Cheers
earthangel67 (4 stories) (22 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
Hi Miracles/Triden, thanks for the advice, but I've tried. Don't know if it's a UK thing. The first pic link takes me to something very odd that I'm reluctant to open, the rest come up with nothing. I've tried a number of times, but to no avail. No matter, I loved the story anyway!
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
earthangel67
Hi! Thanks so much for the kind words! It was such an awesome experience for me. I apologize that the links did not pull through as intended, but you can still copy and paste in to a browser.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
earthangel - copy and paste the link Triden provided for the pictures in your search bar. It should show you the picture then. You'll have to do each picture individually.
earthangel67 (4 stories) (22 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-04)
Hi Triden, Fascinating account and a thoroughly enjoyable read! I so wish I could see your pictures though. Your links aren't the click to open type on my PC for some reason, which is rather irritating! I can totally relate to your experience at this museum. I had a very similar experience in an old French town that is now a museum. The town had been partially destroyed and almost all of the residents killed. Walking round there I had the same feeling of being almost constantly watched and the church where many women and children had been locked in and were mercilessly slain was just the most saddening place I have ever stepped into. I managed a couple of minutes and I had to get out. I felt so ill and so emotional. The pain in that place was still tangible, even all those years later. I've never really studied my photos, perhaps I should!

Thank you for sharing your experience 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: