You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Occurences In Western Sd

Real Ghost Stories

The Occurences In Western Sd

 

I am new here and frankly I don't know where to begin. I live in Rapid City, South Dakota. A lot has transpired here since they found gold here in the black hills a century and a half ago. I am of Native American heritage and a firm believer in the paranormal.

My first experience was when I was about 7 and I recall being outside of my grandparents home on the reservation and hearing bells that are found on the attire of pow-wow dancers but off in the direction of the badlands that are on my family's property. My mother told me these are the spirits or winage (pronounced Win-Ahe). They will try to draw you out into the middle of nowhere and you are never heard from again.

Sometimes there would be crashing and the sounds of slamming doors at night and she said it was the spirit of someone who passed away and was buried on the property. This went on until we moved to Rapid City. When I was 10 it just got worse. One time I was in my room and saw a black shadow figure walk in and stare at me then just jumped into the ceiling and afterwards a bad smell came and went.

Fast forward to the year my mother passed away. Strange things happened involving everything. A white eyed shadow figure was following my mom a lot. It left when she passed on.

Then when I moved in with my sisters family I would hear clawing sounds at the windows even though we lived on the third floor and there were no trees around and no rodent problems.

We then moved to Chicago and things got weirder. We moved into this house that felt oppressive and strange. Our pets wouldn't go into the basement and in the basement it felt like you were being watched all the time. It all came to a head one day when my only nephew ran to me and said the family dog was running up from the basement with blood dripping off of her and she growled at him and ran back down. It was strange in the least since she (the dog) was in the backyard and perfectly healthy and happy when I let her back in.

A couple years later I was home from college for winter break and my sisters family just moved into a new house and it was good. My oldest niece confided in me she saw something like a skinned baboon running around the basement and growling at her. She moved into her dad's office after that.

In the basement I caught sight of something that looked like a bloody monkey head looking at me from her dad's mancave area. When I approached it, it disappeared. My sister had the house blessed and smudged and it all went quiet and peaceful.

I graduated in 2005 and moved back to Chicago and I was visiting my sister. We were out in her backyard with my oldest niece and her friend, and just as soon as it hit 3am the temperature dropped (it was 78 degrees and humidity just under 70 percent). It felt like fall and then we heard children laughing. We booked it into the house just as something heavy hit the door repeatedly. I looked out and saw shadow things running around just outside the arc cast by the porch light. Something kept hitting the door. Their dog was in as well as my own. We heard moans and some screams. Even remembering it to this day still gives me the willies.

I moved to South Dakota in 2007 to work a job at a local tv station. I was forced to stay in a local motel for a month while I worked and looked for an apartment or house to rent.

One night in mid December, 2007, I was sitting outside my room door smoking a cigarette when I caught sight of some red lights facing me from the room next door. I thought they were just Christmas lights and I went to bed. In the middle of the night in my dreams I was fighting a black decayed person and when I awoke I smelled wrongness in my room. It was a mixture of decay, mold and old earth that seemed to stink up the place. About twenty minutes later, I was out cold when in my ear something shouted, "wake up and look at me!" The room felt like ice and the stench was worse and I was afraid of what I would see if I opened my eyes, so I hid under my blanket. It felt wrong that night and it wouldn't get better.

After that I lost my job and had to check into a homeless shelter a couple months later. There it was worse. I would see dark things running along the beds and when I was tasked with cleaning up the dining room of the attached soup kitchen I had things thrown at me and chairs slid around the place. When I became the head cook there it was better, somewhat. I had to get up at four in the morning to prep the two meals that I had to cook 7 days a week. I had a conversation with someone who worked there and he told me about what he experienced there, and it was almost identical to what I had experienced.

One time it was about 5am and I was getting breakfast started when the other employee walked in, we were talking. Again we both heard a blood curdling scream come from the dining room. We both switched on the lights and looked around, nothing. No one sleeping there. Not one human presence. We looked for 10 minutes and it was only us down there and we are the only two who had keys at that hour.

I have since gotten a better job at a local consulting firm and run a small side business to make some extra cash and moved into my own apartment. Since then I have traveled around the surrounding country side and encountered many strange things, some very frightening. Like seeing a Lakota myth become real, a deer person. This happened in October, 2009. My buddy and I were traveling back from Nebraska when we took a detour to see the south unit of Badlands National Park. We were on the reservation and it was getting to be about dusk when we got there. We started back, about 20 minutes later we crested this hill near a town called Hermosa and in the tall grass by the road my buddy saw a beautiful woman hitch-hiking. He wanted to pick her up. I told him no because one of his mom's friends said don't pick people up after dark because they might not be people.

I saw her too but she was off. She wasn't trying to get onto the shoulder of the road to get our attention and only stayed in the grass. He kept trying to persuade me to agree to pick her up, I kept saying no, so as we passed her he was about to slam on the brakes so I had to biff him upside the head to get his attention back on the road. We passed her and I looked back and in her place was a huge deer thing. It was about the size of one of the Irish elk skeletons they have at the mammoth site in Hot Springs and it had glowing red eyes and just disappeared. I kept looking for it in the rear view mirror, nothing.

Last spring my fiancee' and I were walking by the main post office here in town about 9 at night when by the county 24\ 7 program building we saw a figure sitting on the steps. They looked like they were waiting for something. My fiancee' made a crack like, "talk about a loyal customer". As we passed we saw the figure's leg move but when we looked back there was no one, just an empty staircase. We got spooked and started walking towards a gas station to get a fountain drink when every now and then we would hear footsteps behind us. We would take turns looking back and still nothing. We said screw the drink and we walked back to our place. The footsteps stopped after we crossed the creek across the street from the gas station.

This city has a lot of tragedy behind it, which probably makes the things happen in town. Plenty of stuff has happened. Everything from shootings to mysterious deaths from the founding to now.

I am writing this to see if anyone has a good theory of what is happening and what could be good steps to counter anything happening in the future.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, renovatio, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
thank you for sharring this story witn us. I have to agree with Charlac and Sparkie. YOUR the one who is haunted. But seriouslu your a magnes for sprits. And they know that. I hopeto hear from you soona and take care
Spirit-Help (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-18)
It sounds like you definitely have spirits either attached to you or are following you around. Also as stated by other posts here, I can reiterate that you are able to sense and see spirits that other's can't. If you are still having problems I may be able to help. If you are interested please go to www.spirit-help.com. All services are free of charge.
Sparkie (6 stories) (30 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
I agree with CharlaC about you being sensitive to the paranormal. You're able to see/hear more than the average person can leading you to have a lot more experiences no matter where you go.

At the same time, it almost seems like the same type of things are following you. Which makes me want to ask, has anything significant happened to your family before all of this started happening? I'm not one to believe in curses, voodoo, all of that stuff but I've heard some pretty compelling stuff prior to this that makes me believe otherwise. Definitely worth checking out some family history.

Be Careful!,
Sparkie
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
I have a feeling that maybe it's not so much as the places you are at that are haunted as that you are attracting the ghost to you. Ask if any one the colleagues or family members had these paranormal things happen to them before you came. I'm REALLY not trying to be rude. It definitely not your fault, but it may help you to find a solution if you can figure out what is causing all the ghost to show up when your around. I loved your story and I want to hear more. I also want to hear updates on how things are going with figuring this stuff out.
GIRLIE ❤ (BE SAFE)
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
The scary Monkey at your sisters place in Chicago reminded me of Family Guy.
CharlaC (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
You seem to be sensitive to the Paranormal, and spirts are attracted to people who are sensitive to them. They follow you around, so no matter where you go, you will experience something. I'm somewhat sensitive as well, but I don't see things as often as you describe.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Holy scary occurrences Batman... So much has happened to you, and even though these seem like some extreme experiences, and I am generally very much a skeptic, I believe you. I am at a loss as to what advice I can give you in handling what you see... You are obviously a sensitive, and some of these things seem to realize you can see them. I can only give encouragement in staying brave and continuing to go with your gut instinct - it has served you well so far. Using sage to smudge is good, salt is cleansing as well. Rookdygin is an experienced poster on this site, and he has Rookdygin's Cleansing Method on his profile page, which you may find to be of great help. Just type Rookdygin in the "search this site" box, and it should come up. Good luck, may you stay in the light, and Best Wishes to you! Thank you for sharing,
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
That's a lot of information, covering a lot of years. Doesn't that deer woman apear for a reason? Maybe good to find out from a knoledgeable elder somewhere. And a voice in a dream told you to look at him. Sometimes it's a good idea tolook at them and find out what they need. The ones who went before exsisted for us, right? We will exsist for the ones who follow. Isn't that what ghost dancing is for? Anyway, it's only a thought.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: