You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Occurences, Is My House Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Occurences, Is My House Haunted?

 

This is my first time posting in a forum so I am sorry if this is long and boring. I just wanted to know if anyone could help, I want to know if my house is haunted or if I am just going crazy.

I think first I should tell you a little information about me, before I moved into my current house. I was brave and very outgoing. I was never afraid of anything and I loved horror/gore films, the Saw series being my favourites. I liked cats more than dogs, I had 2 cats and a rabbit when we moved in. When I was younger I had reoccurring dreams, one about 3 women sitting round a bowl laughing at me but I didn't know who they were or even where it was. The other dream was horrible, I would get up to go to the toilet but there was a hand coming up out of the floor by the bathroom at the end of the hallway, I always feel that hand was the cause of me breaking my arm when I was little, but that's a different story.

I moved in with my partner 3 1/2 years ago on the 13th February and now I hate the house. At first it was amazing, it's in a beautiful quiet area and has everything we need walking distance away. It is a maisonette which we live on the ground floor with one floor above us. We have had multiple neighbours living up there but none seem to last longer than 6-8 months. Our current neighbours have a 9 month old baby which they can only get to sleep if they walk him up and down the road or take him over to the park. As I have no children of my own I'm not sure if this is normal but it has been the same with every family that have moved in.

When we first moved in I put all my weird feelings down to it being a new house, in a new area far from my friends and family. I went from working 6 days a week all 12 hour shifts to only doing 3 because I was finding it difficult to get to sleep and stay asleep. I saw a few weird things out of the corner of my eye, like shadows and weird lights. Small things like money, dice, jewellery and batteries started going missing which I blamed on the cats. I couldn't shake the weird feelings and unexplained mood swings. I didn't notice until my partner started working with me that I had started making up excuses to get out of the house like we needed something silly from the shops. After 5 months I decided to get a dog, a border collie cross, and all the weird things just stopped. The weird feelings and mood swings went away... For a while.

A year or so later the weird things started up again, starting with the shadows but not the lights, then things started going missing again starting with the small things then working up to bank cards, letters and finally DVD's and games. At first I blamed a friend who had started coming round on the weekends but it seemed it was just a coincidence because things kept vanishing even when she didn't come round. It always seemed like it was my things going missing. I got the weird feeling again and became scared of the dark, there is a street lamp right outside our bedroom window so I didn't notice until I started needing to go to the toilet several times a night. I got checked out by a doctor who said there was nothing wrong with my bladder but I started drinking less after 5pm so I wouldn't need the toilet as often but then the images started.

I couldn't get to sleep because for ages I would see random horrible things when I closed my eyes, like bad things happening to me or horrible dissections from horror movies. I stopped watching horror films and started watching more kids films and taking sleeping tablets. I then became depressed for no reason and the mood swings started up again. I thought it was just me until the dog started acting sad, he would just lie looking at me for ages and he went off his food. My partner convinced me he was lonely because we were both working. So we got another dog, a German shepherd cross named Tids and again the things went away or at least died right down. There was the odd shadow in the corner of my eye but nothing went missing and the dog was happy again and so was I.

Now our second dog Tids has just turned 1½ and things have never been worse.

A few months back my partner had to wake me up because he said I was having a nightmare, I was apparently moaning in my sleep and woke him up, I could not remember what I was dreaming about but I woke up feeling scared and dripping with sweat. I couldn't get back to sleep so once my partner had gone to work I was lying in bed with the dogs trying to have a nap. There was a bright light which startled both the dogs, making them stand on the end of the bed, watching it cross the wall, suddenly stopping above the tv and was disappearing, the dogs going back to sleep. I had all the curtains shut so it couldn't have been an external light but I couldn't see anything in the room that could have caused it.

Several times Tids has started growling at the space behind the chair in our living room, I thought something had fallen behind there, or the cat was stuck but when I moved the chair out he got worse, barking with all his back up. I let him out in the garden and when he came back he was fine. He listens out for things all the time and occasionally when I know no-one is home upstairs and I'm all alone in the house he will tilt his head, sniff the air and start growling and barking. If you knew Tids you would know this is out of character for him. He is always calm, he sleeps most of the time and only barks if someone knocks the door. He is like a big baby and loves his cuddles and most of the time I forget the dogs are in the house.

There are 2 lamp posts outside our bedroom window which at night give the room an orange glow. We always have the fan on in the bedroom because it is always so hot with the tropical tank in the corner but sometimes when my partner is asleep and I am lying there playing on my ipad the room will suddenly go very cold and the orange glow disappears. The first few times this happened I thought maybe the council had brought in some energy saving scheme but it didn't happen again for a while. The next time it did happen I got up and peeked out the curtains but the lights were on and when I turned back the room was orange again. It hasn't happened since but I think that's because I leave a gap in the curtains?

Little things have started going missing again nothing of value this time but things like hair clips, nail polishes and food I have taken a bite out of. I know it sounds crazy but I am buying a pack of 50 hair clips a month at the moment. We haven't been having guest round for a while because I haven't been in the mood, the mood swings are back and I just keep crying for no reason, shouting at everyone including the poor dogs, most of the time the mood going as soon as I step outside.

There are a few other minor things that happen, the tv making the turning on sound on its own but not actually turning on, random programs and game opening themselves on my laptop but only when I am home (I use it for the 12 hours when I am at work), the tap which is broken turns itself on or drips, teddies and collectables fall off shelves and cupboards. I hate when the room gets hot or cold at random points contradicting the weather outside. My fella himself never notices the temperature changes but when we have others round they do.

The strangest thing that has happened in the last few months was a small bubble from when I was blowing bubbles for the dogs which just floated next to the tv for 3 days. I thought at first it was caught in a draft caused by the fan and the windows being open but when we went to bed we shut the windows and turned off the fan, the next day it was still floating there. I waved my hand round it in case it was caught in a web but it wasn't and I didn't want to pop it, I wanted to see how long it would last. I got home from work the next day and it was gone.

I am posting this now because I feel safe at the moment, I know it sounds weird but my parents stayed over this weekend and since they have been gone nothing weird has happened and I feel good. The same happened last time my partner's younger siblings stayed over, nothing strange happened for 3-4 days and then as if by magic the weird things are back.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Misspants12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

gasp (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
hi we are interested in investigating the paranormal and was wondering if you like to use us we are free of charge and based in caerphilly if its some thing you'd be interested in you can find us on face book as gasp gasp or email us thank's
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
Hi Missypants,

Thanks for answering my queries. In my own opinion, this entity seems to be more mischievous than negative. It seems to enjoy toying with you. The mood swings are definitely a bit of a quandary though. It is possible that the energy creating the sudden mood swings could be residual from an altogether different point of origin. Perhaps at some point in the past there were tenants going through some extreme rough patches and left a imprint of their anger in the house. I say, be courteous to this entity, request your items back when it/they are done with it, and try to show that it doesn't bother you. Perhaps it will get the message. If that doesn't change things, cleanse the house on a regular basis.

On a side note:
It's pretty cool to hear of a woman playing D&D 😉, I haven't been able to find a girl to join my group here in my hometown, just a bunch of us nerdy guys (not in our mother's basement though 😆)
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
Misspants12: I can sense your frustration with all of this going on. Firstly it is obvious to me that the energy in the home is affecting you and your moods etc whatever is residing there sounds intelligent and you are picking up on, it is projecting its own feelings.
With all the things going missing and reappearing this to me is a classic sign of attention seeking from this spirit, I do want to point out I don't sense any negativity at all from it though just a sense of "hey look what I can do" sort of attitude.

There is obviously a bit more going, have you found out anything about the history of the house and land? If this continues there are cleansings etc that can help move this presence on and give you back your freedom. Look forward to hearing from you. 😊

Dan
B4Freya (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Interesting story. I do wonder what the history is in your house or even the land itself. What about the cat? You mentioned the dogs reactions. We're quite sure the house where I grew up was haunted (I posted that story here some weeks back). We had a dog and a cat, and both reacted to things we couldn't see. The dog was a good dog, but she would get scared all of a sudden, and snap in defense. The cat would stare at things we couldn't see. We would watch his eyes and head slowly moving as though following an unseen object's movement. He generally didn't seem to care, although his eyes were wide and he flicked his tail back and forth. (It was a very mellow cat!)

I am by no means an expert on any of this. I do know I've heard time and again that bad energies can feed off of stress and depression, and fuel that stress and depression, in turn. I was severely stressed and depressed a few years ago for some very good reasons. I noticed, too, that my writing (I write poetry and fiction--but only self published) turned from inspirational to horrific. Then I started hearing scratching sounds in my bedroom at night (note that my current house has never shown any signs of being haunted; ever).

After a terrifying "waking" dream in which I could swear a demon was lifting my mattress, I forced myself to stop the horror writing. I refused to watch horror movies and I stopped cold turkey watching my favorite TV series at the time, "Supernatural." I also started following inspirational quotes on Twitter and that sort of thing. My life situation hasn't changed, but my attitude has, and depression has switched to optimism. I stopped hearing scratching noises, and I haven't had a nightmare in about a year now (I'd been known to wake my husband up with horrible moans and strangled screams).

I hope your own positive energies can continue to grow and fuel nothing but good energies in your home.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Hi Misspants I'm glad you mentioned you have been to see your doctor. From my own. Personal experience lack of sleep, being low in mood can be depression and left untreated symptoms can increase. I'm not a doctor but because you eat well and exercise doesn't mean you still haven't got depression. It can cause may symptoms including lack of concentration, confusion etc. I'm not embarrassed to state th. At I'm on anti depressants, (shortly after having my baby, even though I'm the happiest I have ever been). The meds help me focus if anything, they just take the edge off uneasy feelings, its an emotional crutch in a way. Meds aren't always for everyone but consider them they may help you. I just thought its a good example to use myself as an example, as before I took my meds I was abit, irrational, anxious in certain situations, moody, slightly paranoid. Depression doesn't also mean you are at home crying/harming yourself... Mine commenced after a bout of no sleep. Animals are a good meassurement tool for paranormal activity, I hope people on here have given you some good info, if you are totally unhappy with all. The events I'd do a cleanse... All this is no good for your health... By the way I'm not a raving loony hah. I'm a full time mum who gave up a social, professional job to care full time for. My little luscious on my own, a first time mum too, I put many things down to. My depression, but I can resolve them. Consider seeing your doctor again x
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Misspants12, The feelings may be coming from the spirit. Or which is a bigger possibility you could be sensitive. That may be why this spirit is attracted to you. Entities attach themselves some of the time, because of depression, or sadness. Just the bad parts of the emotional sides of people. They feed off of it. When I lived in my last apartment, I had mood swings like no other. We had a resident spirit there. I eventually moved, and I am one happy person now.
Misspants12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Hi Spiritwaiting. I just get the sudden feeling of anger like when you have just had an argument or when someone is purposely annoying you, I also get really sad for no reason even when really amazing things are happening in my life. It only seems to happen when I am home alone with the dogs.

Hi Nephylim. I don't feel threatened but I have become scared of the dark, its like someone is watching me all the time. I will have to try and pluck up the courage to ask for my things back. As for the cold, most of the women that come in the house have picked up on "odd vibes" or chills. There has only been 2 occasions that I can think of that men have felt the sudden cold, once when we had a house party and my cousin and a male friend had an argument, the room went Ice cold, everyone went silent and my cousin stormed out the room. The temperature returned to normal which ended in the guy shouting after my cousin calling her a witch. I haven't spoken to him since but my cousin refuses to come into my house. The second was when we were playing D&D, 3 guys and myself. The game was going horribly wrong and everyone apart my fella shuddered as if it was freezing, one of the guys put his coat on and I was covered in goosebumps. We ended up putting the heating on just to have my fella moan he was sweating. The house is fairly new build with double glazing and no history of bad or good things happening, in the 30 years it has been here we have lived here the longest. Upstairs say they have heard banging and shouting coming from ours but when they have come down to see if I was okay nobody was home.

Hi Blueturtle. I have only ever seen mediums on the TV so I don't know if I believe in Psychics or mediums, especially not ones that are charging £10 a reading in the local pub! But my mother in law said she wants me to come along as she has felt weird things in our house and got some great advise from a medium in the past. I totally understand what you are saying about stress, my partner says the exact same thing when I talk to him about it, he is a strict none believer in the paranormal. I have tried taking sleeping tables, spending 2 weeks at my parents and taking a lot of time off work to try and De-stress but as soon as I am at home again it all starts again. I have spoken to my GP to see if its depression but he said its unlikely as I eat well and exercise. He has said that if the problem persists he may consider anti-depressants but only as a last resort. I am hoping its nothing and just a case of I hate living in this house, we are in the final year of our lease so I will defiantly be looking to move somewhere else when its up!
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
I hope that things turn out for the best for you. Going to a psychic reading might help, but I must warn you that it is their profession to get you to believe what they're saying. Go in with some reservations but keep your mind open. I understand that some psychics are genuine, but others just want your money.

Now, normally I am a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal, although I have an open mind for possible hauntings. It is possible that your home is haunted, but you wouldn't believe what stress can do to a person's body or psyche. You mentioned that you had been working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. Stress and lack of sleep will certainly contribute to perhaps mild hallucinations, especially during sleep, which is very common. Despite the fact that you're working less, you still seem under stress and not just because of the oddities happening around the house. Do some soul searching and try and discover what's stressing you and causing you to be depressed. It happens, trust me. I've been there. Feelings of degredation for no apparent reason encouraged by a catalyst of seemingly paranormal events.

I can't explain the missing items or even all of the behaviors that your dog is displaying, although I must mention that animals have a way of picking up the emotions of their owners. If you are stressed, your dog will be stressed. This seems evident when you were feeling terrible and your dog acted sad.

Regardless of whether your home is suffering a mild haunting, which it might be, or if - somehow - these events are spurred by depression or otherwise (and please don't see this as a blame game...I'm just trying to go over multiple possibilities) the key thing is that you maintain control of your emotions and get the support you need, especially from your partner and even your dog. Thanks for posting and I hope that you find the answers.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Hi Misspants,

I would like to ask, do you ever feel overly threatened in the house? Your dogs seem to be picking up on something and from what you say about Tids growling and raising the hackles on his/her back, it seems there may definitely be something there.
In the instances where things have mysteriously gone missing in my house I usually just ask politely for it to be given back when whatever is busy with it is done. Most times it reappears pretty quickly.
You say that your "fella" doesn't notice the temperature fluctuations, but others who have visited do, perhaps it is his way of dealing with it, to tune it out. The others that have felt these variations in temperature, were they woman, men or a mixture? Knowing that may shed some light on whether this entity is focused on female energy or not.

Have you tried looking into the past of the house itself or speaking to the upstairs tenants to find out if they are having any experiences? Be wary of making yourself out to be a bit looney though 😉

I hope you can answer some of these questions.

Stay strong
Nephylim
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
Misspants, it definitely sounds like your house may have intellegent hauntings, and some residual. What kind if feelings would you get? Where they scared, evil, or maybe like you were in a crowded room, but visually you were the only one there? This kind of information could help others to give you other views on this. I hope you find some help, you came to the right place. Good luck.
Misspants12 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
Well I posted this a while back but the strange things have started up again its been 4 weeks since my parents stayed but yesterday I opened the fridge and 6 eggs in the middle of a box of 30 were broken! It was like someone had pushed their finger into the top of them. My fella said they could have broken in transit but I know they were fine only a few hours before when I had my breakfast: (the dog has started barking at nothing again and hair clips have started reappearing in weird places, there were 3 clipped onto the pull cord for the shower and one in my fish tank! There is going to be a medium doing psychic readings at our local pub next Tuesday and I was thinking of going along, maybe taking some of the hair clips that have magical returned and see what he/she says.
sinz (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
i got guzbumz reading that... So you mean that now everythibg is fine but in past it was all strange happening

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: