You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Apartment Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Apartment Haunting

 

As promised here are a few more happenings in the South West, USA.

All of which occurred in the same apartment.

As Bugs Bunny would say: " I knew I shouldn't have taken that left in Al-bah-curr-key!"

My husband and I have sort of been nomads up until now, working where we were needed in our particular vocations. We've always been partial to New Mexico and owned a home there. However, during the time of this incident we took jobs in the northwestern portion of the state. Housing was very scarce there. A home would literally be sold before it could be put on the MLS listing. Renting was almost nil with the exception of a set of apartments referred to as "corporate" apartments. They rented only to adults passing through on limited assignments. My husband made arrangements for a two bedroom second story until a rental house could be obtained.

I didn't get any bad feelings from the place. But then again the two of us were too occupied to really take the time to feel it out.

First event:

I took the second bedroom as my dressing room. (we are odd ducks, as we don't like to share closet space). I am a creature of habit. Each day I returned from work I entered my dressing room, placed my bag down by my desk and my keys ON the desk. Beginning that first week I would reach for my keys to leave for work and they wouldn't be there. I would search the entire apartment... No keys! I'd search twice, no keys! @!@!@!@!@!...Beyond frustration, I would enter the bedroom for the third time and lo and behold, there lay the keys on the desk. I knew after about the second occurrence something otherworldly was playing or trying to get my attention. I spoke to whatever presence and asked that my keys be left alone. No problem with the keys after that.

Second event:

It's going to sound crazy... It was even crazy to me, but it happened. The kitchen flooring was old linoleum, in excellent shape but lacked luster. So I began regularly waxing it. One day I set about mopping and waxing when I noticed an area about a hands breadth in the corner looked green. It appeared to be food coloring as I mopped at it. I had to change the water. I hadn't noticed it before and we didn't have any food coloring in the apartment. I asked my husband had he spilled anything green in the corner. "No". I just thought, "how odd" and forgot about it.

Third event:

On another day I began wiping out the freezer because my husband said there was something green in it that looked like sherbert or ice cream spilled. We had neither, and the refrigerator was clean when we inspected it upon moving in. I cleaned it out of course, thinking back to the floor incident. I later found spots of green in cabinets that had been cleaned prior to our putting our dishes in there. OK... Somethings here, what do you want from me?

Fourth event:

My husband and I had gone to bed. He immediately fell asleep. I lay on my right side, on the right side of the bed looking towards the closet for an indeterminate period. At this point I think I am in that in-between state, cusp of falling asleep when an elderly, very thin and frail Caucasian woman appears by my bed. She looks to be about 75-80 with a hairstyle that is short and one worn by women her age in this era. She is weeping and wringing a tissue in her hands. There is a very bright white aura all around her. It is so bright it lights up my bedroom. She communicates her sadness to me mind to mind telling me that her son abandoned her. Then she suddenly becomes angry and starts tossing tissues at me like shes throwing baseballs. Her sudden change of demeanor frightens me and I let out a scream which wakes my husband. I cannot bring myself to tell him what has just occurred and told him I had a nightmare and to just go back to sleep. It took me days to tell him what happened.

I so wish now I had inquired of the office manager about the apartment and the history surrounding it. Our lives were so busy at the time and my mind occupied on what I thought was more important stuff.

Fifth event:

We finally found a house to rent a month before the end of our lease. Hooray! With the time frame arrangements we had two weeks to take our time and clean the apartment in order to receive our deposit. Being smokers, (Ugly habit) we wanted to make sure the next tenants didn't have to deal with stale smoke. Being in the desert and no forecast of rain we left windows cracked for a week. I would go over each morning before work and clean one room from top to bottom. This included walls and carpet. Yes, I am anal and detailed, but with a purpose.

On the first morning of cleaning I get a knock on the door from our neighbor to the right of us. This neighbor had been such a sweet person, always friendly, even bringing us back a gift during her travels. This particular morning she was LIVID and proceeded to tell me that she had spent the night in the emergency room because of our smoking. I was taken aback by her rant and demeanor. I tried to calm her down and told her we had not occupied the apartment for two whole weeks and that the windows had been left cracked for one of those weeks. She proceeded to tell me that the smoke had leeched into the walls and into her apartment. OK, had I not had a maniac on my hands I would have laughed since there is a firewall between apartments. And also the fact that we had been there 11 months without incident. And on top of that, we always smoked with a window open, even in dead of winter not to mention we worked hard and played even harder, so were rarely home except to sleep. The managers moved her to another unit. They just shook their heads when I told them of her strange behavior. The male manager/handyman told me our smoke had not leeched into the walls.

I still scratch my head as to what got into her that day. Paranormal?

Sixth and final event: Helpful spirit.

I was taking down blinds in the last room I was cleaning. I had my arms full proceeding to the bathroom to deposit them into the tub for a good washing. I remembered that I had begun filling the tub but had failed to pull up the lever to keep the water in. I said aloud, "Shoot, I forgot to pull the lever"! As I bent to deposit the blinds the lever was pulled up. It had to have just been pulled up as there wasn't the amount of water there should have been while I had been taking down the blinds. I knew immediately the spirit had pulled it for me. I thanked her kindly and told her we would be out of her hair in a day or two.

Thanks so much for reading. I have more SW encounters but these were the only ones at this particular location.

Blessed Be!

Other hauntings by Seeker1

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Seeker1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-05)
Creepy stories... The apparition would have freaked me out for sure... Probably would have moved after that! That said... I tend to take anything that happens in that state of on the cusp of being asleep with a grain of salt. I have had hypnagogic hallucinations myself... Hallucinations that take place right when you are between states of being awake and asleep. In a different story I just told my experience of Aunt Jemima walking across the sheets of my bed. These hallucinations can be very vivid. I didn't experience what you did, so I'm not trying to diminish your story, just give you an alternative possibility to what happened. Perhaps the other experiences you had in the house put you on the path of thinking about the house being haunted, which could have led to this experience?

Here's a wiki article for you:)

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

And here's a more clinical article for you about it:

Http://www.americansleeplabs.com/a-sd-hypgh.html
earthtogillian (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-27)
I think they may have been two spirits in there, being the playful one and the helpful one. It doesn't seem scary as I am reading it right now but I know it would be freaking scary as hell if I were the one experiencing the activities myself! I haven't had the slightest chance to post my occurrences as ygs isn't allowing anymore publishing of stories. 😢 😢 😢
ladydarke (113 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-09-25)
Heh, the green sounds like The Canterville Ghost http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/CanGho.shtml

When a "modern" American family used a fancy new-fangled floor polish to clean away his ancient bloodstain, he had to keep painting it back every night and eventually ran out of red and even purple... Poor fellow was reduced to a green bloodstain.

Maybe you had a well-read ghost with a sense of humor.:) Thanks for the story.
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-25)
Samtille,
Thank you for taking time out to read it and respond.:)

Pjod,

I have never heard of the author, but am willing to read his works, should I run across them. I will be in a book store this weekend. I have watched documentaries on this cattle mutilation thing. Surly a mystery!
And yes, the SW like anywhere is chock full of history, and a great deal of energy. That part of the country has been very healing for me on all levels and I miss it terribly. It holds enchantment for sure.
Thanks for reading and responding.
:)

Blessed Be
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-25)
I'm starting to become rather fascinated with your part of the country. For some reading info, check out the author Christopher O'Brian, who has written a couple books on the SL Valley. He has a new one coming out called "Stalking the Herd" which goes in depth on the cattle mutilation mystery.
Seems to be something mysterious about the desert climates. Some of the best documented cases have come out of a ranch in Utah. A team of scientists came in to gather data through the scientific method, and came to the conclusion that there was some kind of conscious force at work, that anticipated their attempts at collecting evidence. This force would play games with the team, and no two occurances were the same- or would repeat.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-25)
I loved your story, you told it so well, thanks for sharing xx
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-25)
[at] seeker1, your very welcome. And its good to give the spirit a good side. And thank you as well.:)
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-09-24)
Spiritwaiting,

Thank you. I like the way you are thinking.:)

Blessed Be
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-24)
seeker1,heres a thought maybe the spirit was upset, and didn't undetstand why her roommates were gone so long. And she found a way of expressing herself through the neighbor. Which brings me to the lever pulling, maybe she liked the way you were taking take care of the apartment, and was showing her appreciation. I see her as an awesome ghost. Enjoyed your story. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-09-23)
Omg random green stains would drive me crazy. I'm slightly OCD, mystery stains just plain tick me off lol. Strange about your neighbor. The smoke scent would have to be pretty strong to make her that sick, and with your apartment vacant to top it off...doesn't make sense at all.
Interesting read. 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-09-23)
Wow very interesting story. I hads a great read. I as well do not know hwta the green stain was. I have heard of stories where people were murdered and blood stains would never disappear. But green stains? That is something I can't answer but Slimer. That is a good one zzgranny 😆
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-09-23)
zzgranny,

LOL...I am so glad it wasn't slimy! ~shudders~

I didn't feel she meant to frighten me in any way.
I believe she was emotionally hurt by her son and wanted someone to know.
Thanks for reading.

Blessed Be:)
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-09-23)
stephyw,

How I wished I knew. I kick myself often for not asking the managers about the place!
The green truly has stumped me.
After submitting this story, I thought about the past long before this happened when my daughter was little.
She couldn't grasp the concept of colors, so I would take food coloring, place a drop on her palm, starting with the color "green". I knew food coloring would stain for several days and aid my daughter in grasping color concept. I also remembered during those times, her dad (my first husband) and I would prank one another with food coloring.
Perhaps the ghostie knew that. I believe spirits are privy to ALL things.
~shrugs~ It's just a thought.
Thank you so much for reading.:)

Blessed Be
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-09-23)
Seeker1: I'm with stephyw. It reminds of Slimer from Ghost Busters 😆. Imagine, having your own little Slimer flying around!

There doesn't seem to be anything but friendly ghosties here. They went from stealing your stuff to helping you out near the end of your stay.

Thank you for posting!
stephyw2001 (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-23)
Weird, what was up with the green? O_o I wish you would have asked about previous tenants too! It would be interesting to find out what they were like.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: