You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A True Happening

Real Ghost Stories

A True Happening


An amazing life experience which is unforgettable. A hair raising tale of the past.

My dad and mum were looking frantically for a home in Ipoh as our house in Penang was about to be sold in a few days time. I was studying in Kuala Lumpur at that time and I joined the search with them as my sister was in India for her studies.

After going around Ipoh Town for hours, finally our agent brought us to a house which was situated at Ipoh Garden South. The compound of the house looked small but when we entered the house, it was really big and spacious. Mum and Dad were extremely happy with the house and immediately offered to buy the house form the seller, a Chinese Merchant. He told us that he have renovated the home for his son who was studying in the USA and since his son did not return home and decided to work in USA, the old merchant decided to sell the house.

We signed the Agreement within a few weeks, paid cash and shifted in. Mum and dad shifted in all by themselves as I was having my exams and was unable to assist them. The seller told mum and dad not to remove the mirrors placed in the rooms upstairs in the house as how he has placed them because of Fengshui.

Mum and dad cleaned up the house all by themselves and found lots of candle wax all around the balcony. Our neighbours have told my parents that the previous owners used to have special prayers upstairs and burned a lot of candles. My parents never took note of that as everybody have their own beliefs.

After my exams, I went back home as mum said that she needed to have a house warming prayer. The said prayer was only among ourselves, we did not invite a priest or anyone to do the prayers. You see mum and dad are very pious [holy] people and hence, they conducted the prayers by themselves. As following the Hindu customs, "we are to invite God" that we worshipped from our earlier home to the present home by serving the sweet rice, lighting incense sticks and put samburani-means a kind of holy substance dropped on the burnt charcoal which forms smoke with fragrance purifying the whole house.

So, mum prepared the sweet rice and dad lighted the altar [prayer room] and I was helping dad to put flowers on the pictures of Gods, then I heard mum saying it is time to pray and she called me to take the cooked sweet rice upstairs where the altar was. I ran down and then I was about to carry the rice when all the lights in the house went off. I heard father calling from upstairs and I ran to the main electric supplies thinking the wires would have tripped but unfortunately there was no electricity in my house alone! There was an eerie feeling felt by all three of us but we said nothing to each other, only at a later date.

Mum gave me some candles to be carried upstairs and I ran up and gave father and was coming back down the stairs and someone pat on my shoulder hard and I looked back thinking it was father, but father was still in the prayer room. I was so scared and ran down. Mum and dad were very brave individuals, they proceeded with the prayers. We never discussed the event after that day.

I went back to my college to complete my course. It was about two weeks since mum and dad moved in I had a call from the hospital and I was told that dad and mum had met with an accident whereby the motorcycle dad was riding collided with another motorbike. I rushed to the hospital with my husband and was told that mum had a hairline crack on her leg and the doctors told us that she needed ample rest. The fractured leg would heal by itself. Dad had minor injuries, bruises here and there. I came back to Kuala Lumpur the next day as I needed to continue work and mum was also insistent that I returned to KL to attend to the kids. I left with a heavy heart.

A couple of weeks later I returned to Ipoh to check on mum's progress and she told me she is fine. Then it was sometime later at night that she told me something which I was not able to digest... In my thoughts...

She told me that the first few days when she stayed at the new home, she encountered strange noises and saw little black creatures running around the house. Then she adds on this is quiet common because the house was hardly occupied for a few years as told by the neighbours. She told me that she hung a blessed lime in front of the house [it is a believe in the Indian religion that if the fruit turns rotten that there is something evil living in the house] and surprisingly mum told me that the fruit turned rotten. Mum then said she was not bothered with the little black creatures as we are more superior than them.

She then added father was sleeping upstairs alone one night when mum was downstairs and then suddenly he heard some rattling sound and woke up then he saw a white figure which took form of a beautiful Chinese lady against the wall and she told father, "Your daughter is going to get married. Stop her or else she will be crying all her life." Then she disappeared. Dad was stunned and ran downstairs to mum and told her the story.

Then mum also told me that there was a figure of a child in the house too with long black hair moving around almost daily.

Mum and dad were too brave and stayed on in the house. Then the complaints on the house lessened and they were comfortably living in the house for 10 years. We sometimes wondered what happened to all the strange stuffs wandering at our house.

Mum and dad used to stay with me and my sister on and off during the kids' school holidays. Mum stayed with me and my family in KL for the last time when she was 73 years old. She spent almost a month with us and told me that this is her last stay with us. I did not know what she meant by that.

My sister came down to KL from Penang to fetch my mum and dad back home. Mum and dad insisted that they wanted to return home that night itself. Sister strongly told them no but they insisted to drop them off in Ipoh before she left to Penang and she did so.

The next morning I got a call from Dad that mum fell and broke her leg. I rushed to Ipoh Hospital to visit mum. Mum told me she felt that someone or something pushed her down from the back. I was very upset. I went back home and felt eerie but dad said all is OK at home. Mum and dad loved the Ipoh House and does not want to leave the place!

My sister and myself were saddened when mum passed away a year later. On the 16th day from the day of her funeral, we had special prayers at home for mum. As soon as the priest started to chant the holy verses, we heard a loud bang of the door upstairs but no one was there. That night I dreamt mum was dragging away something evil from the house. When mum passed away, dad insisted to stay alone at home and never gave in to any of our persuasion to follow us back to Kuala Lumpur. A few days later dad fell when he climbed on a stool to repair his favourite ancient grandfather's clock. Dad was unable to walk since that incident and his condition became similar to mum. My sister and I immediately transferred dad from the house although he was reluctant to leave and he now stays in Penang with my sister.

The Ipoh house is rented out now and so far there is no complain from the tenant.

We believe that mum has taken away the evil with her from the house and it is now free of the evil spirits, but we will never know what actually happened in the house until today...


Other hauntings by Haema

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Haema, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
9 years ago (2013-12-19)
Thanks for sharing this story! Sorry about your mom... At least your dad is not alone in the house any more! Did you ever figure out what the woman meant when she spoke to your father?
MysteriousGuy (10 posts)
9 years ago (2013-12-15)
Such a nice story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your mum and dad are so brave to face all the evil spirits in your house. I salute them for their bravery. God bless you and your family, may your mum had a rest in peace.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
9 years ago (2013-12-15)
A beautiful story. Makes me wonder, do the praying people- and they are world wide- turn into budhasatvas when they pass? Good story.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
9 years ago (2013-12-14)
Haema, Wow what a story! There could have been something evil running around the home. Renovation tends to stir up a lot of trouble amongst spirits residing in homes. With that along with new tenants it could have taken the spirits some taking used to. The dream about your mom, is very interesting to me. She was letting you know she was fighting them and trying her best to rid the house of the troubles its causing. I really liked the way you wrote this, I could invision myself in your shoes.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
9 years ago (2013-12-13)
That was very well-narrated. I'm sorry for your loss but thank you for sharing with us your experience. So were you or your sister about to marry someone that could have mis-treated you? Bless you and your family.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: