You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Mother's House

Real Ghost Stories

My Mother's House

 

Before I was born, my three brothers and my mother lived in a house, it was on a slope in a very quiet street, there were other houses not too far.

Normally I would be skeptical about this kind of thing, until recently I started having strange experiences. Before I was born and my mother had met my father, she had another boyfriend. I didn't know much about this previous partner, all I knew was that he'd gone and committed suicide after mum had broken up with him. I don't know much about the argument between them besides that he had wanted mum to die with him. She refused, though, as she had three sons too care for.

Anyhow, me and my little sister were born and we lived away from that house. Mum couldn't stay there anymore. She met dad and started a new life. Years passed, it was a nice life, not much happened it was just normal like any other primary school kids.

Because we owned a dog, we ended up getting kicked out of the caravan park we'd grown up in. Mum refused to sell the dog so we packed up our things and left. This turned our whole life upside down. Mum started using drugs, dad went downhill, everything was ruined. Now we ended up homeless for two years nearly, changing schools all the time, homeschooling eventually. Things just really, really sucked.

Back to the story. Department of Housing finally gave us a house. Unfortunately, it ended up being that exact same house from thirteen years ago. Mum didn't say anything. We were just happy to have a home. But mum would never go into the back room. I wondered why sometimes, then I got told the story. She couldn't face her demons.

Months before we'd gotten the house (we had gone looking around for houses) when we went into that house, the woman who had been staying there had trashed it. The furniture was piled up, it stunk, the carpet was ripped off the floors, it was infested with rats and roaches, the lawn needed mowing and there was writing all over the walls. This was the work of some drug addicted sons of the lady who lived there before we'd been offered the house. Of course, they had workers go in, repaint it, put down new carpet and replaced the walls.

Months after moving into the house we could hear knocking coming from the top room. Everyone was scared of that room, the instant you walked in there it was cold, colder than any other part of the house. Even if it was the middle of summer, you could feel the cold in that room, and there would always be this feeling. Like you were being watched.

A few years after these events, I was now in year seven. Me and my little sister were home alone once. Mum and dad had broken up and mum was out shopping.

We had been vacuuming the house, the dogs were out the back barking. I stopped the vacuum cleaner to investigate. As usual they were going off their heads at the neighbors dog. After telling them to shut up I went back inside. Hearing a strange sound, I ran back to the lounge room. I had turned the vacuum cleaner off, but somehow it was on. I can't think of any reason it could turn itself on like that. I paid no mind to it though.

About a week later, my little sister had been home alone, I'd gone out with my girlfriend. She had filmed her little puppy barking at the corner of the lounge room near our old bookcase. She showed me the video. I then realized that was the exact same corner that I had been vacuuming in and left the vacuum cleaner OFF! This is some weird stuff, and it just got weirder.

My girlfriend's cousins had came over about a week after the incidents. Mum was there as well. The older cousin had a friend with her. She was apparently psychic. (Now, I'm not positive that was true.) A few discussions were carried out.

Then that friend had told us a story. She had a strange feeling about the house. She told us that when she had been walking past, in the front room window was a figure looking out the window. His emotions had read anger and misery. Mum told them the story about her boyfriend who'd killed himself. The friend was startled by this. We talked about the incidents that occurred in the house. No one knew what to do. I had never had experiences like this until my family had moved into that house.

There was another incident where we'd put a stool near the corner and the old bookshelf, and there was a candle fire. There was no way that the candle could have caught the stool cloth on fire, but it did.

The toilet would also constantly be flushing by itself. We told the Department of Housing about it, but they said that it was most likely the pipes under the house. Bull. It was constant. So constant that we had gotten used to it and it didn't even faze anyone, not even our friends we had over. They were so used to the way the house was.

As time passed, I would every now and again see a white floating orb at the end of my bed at night, in the kitchen and the hallways. Never anywhere else. At night you could also hear something running around in the walls. It sounded like small animals. In the laundry there was a manhole in the roof. The lid to it would constantly disappear and reappear the next day. Strange?

Something that my little sister would always hear at night was someone tapping on her piano. She always told me that she was too scared to turn around and look in case someone was standing there.

This was beyond me, I couldn't understand it. When I would stay in my sister's room, I would feel something touching my back or playing with my hair. The tapping still continues on the keyboard.

This seems a little far-fetched I know, but it's all true. It all really happened. I now live with my grandmother for certain reasons, and just the other night I heard some groaning noises coming from the kitchen. It's only a small flat, and it wasn't coming from outside.

When I confronted my grandmother about it, she said no demons and spirits posses this house, it's a house of the lord. She's very, very religious. I put my faith in what she says, but still.

It feels like something is following me. I tried to go to the bathroom once while my little sister was having her music lesson. The lights started flickering and then completely turned out. It was dark, I couldn't see and I couldn't find the door until the lights switched back on.

I don't know if any of this is paranormal or there's a logical explanation, but there's plenty of evidence to back up my story.

Please comment if you have any idea what this is.

Thank you, LEN WARNER.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LenLen900, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

HoppingCorpse (2 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-13)
If it makes your life any easier, I could explain away the noises in the walls, as I sometimes have those too. You are not wrong in thinking those are small animals, most likely mice, voles or other small rodents. You say that the house was infested by rats before you moved in. It is possible that some of them remained. Cheerios!
LenLen900 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-13)
I'm really not sure what to think of it, but it's not that it's started to get to me ~
At first I thought nothing of it, but as it continued I do.

KaalaLilee: First off, no, I don't think you're paranoid. You're right, there is a lot of evidence to back up your claim.

Response: You're the only one that doesn't seem to think I'm paranoid about it. 😆

Well I don't know what to think about this guys.
Testoli456 (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-12)
I'm glad she kept the dog that's a good owner, not enough of them around
CCTEMP (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-07)
Wow, you have had several strange experiences!

Do you feel a sense of fear or curiosity?

I do believe spirits can attach themselves to people. It might be worth some basic investigation!
danielreiduk (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
There is definitely some sort of paranormal activity going on. I believe your story and I think there is a ghost in the house, maybe the man who killed himself. Hauntings usually arise from a tragic event in which this case there has been. I think you're evidence is strong enough as proof of a ghost existing in the house. I'm not sure how to deal with this, maybe get an investigator in, but definitely talk to someone if it is really bothering you. My house had strange things happening in it, my grandparents both died in it. I moved into a flat and have not experienced strange things like my old house. Ghosts usually tend to hang around for a while in the place they are haunting. Hope you find a solution 😁
KaalaLilee (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-01)
First off, no, I don't think you're paranoid. You're right, there is a lot of evidence to back up your claim.

I think that it is indeed very possible that the house is haunted by that man, however as to what to do about it, I don't know. It doesn't sound like the spirit (or spirits) are particularly malicious, but definitely keep an eye out.

If I'm being honest, I don't really know a whole lot about spirits, so I'm sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: