You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis And Hieroglyphics?

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis And Hieroglyphics?

 

I recently woke up exactly 4 am laying flat on my back, which is strange as I never sleep on my back (even my wife confirmed that for me). I was unable to move for 10 - 15 seconds and my body kind of felt like it was twitching/convulsing. I was seeing what looked like hieroglyphics everywhere I looked, and that lasted a couple of minutes.

It didn't matter if my eyes were open or closed the pattern stayed the same and it was very clear to me and I just kind of watched this because I was confused as to what was happening. It kind of reminded me of the scene from The Matrix where the world was all in binary code, except I still saw my room and instead of numbers it was patterns of shapes and symbols.

I wasn't scared and was surprisingly calm, I woke my wife up and described it to her and she seemed freaked out more than myself. We haven't spoke about it since and I don't want to seem like a crazy man so I haven't brought it back up.

I'm not a drug user now nor have I ever used them when I was younger. I'm a casual drinker and had not been drinking the week prior to this experience. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this and to get peoples thoughts and opinions. I will be active and provide more info if people have questions or want to discuss this. I have searched other websites and have not found anyone else having a similar experience.

I have experienced other paranormal events though my life but nothing ever like this and maybe I will discuss those events in future posts.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tedpeck1978, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ShaktiPower (1 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-06-10)
I have had this experience, and I remember feeling as if information was being either downloaded into me, or uploaded from me.
Lallie (2 stories) (3 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-10)
That is quite interesting. Maybe it is a part of your brain that is not quite 'awake' yet? It happened to me a few years back but I 'heard' numbers. I woke up and just heard a man saying different numbers for about 5 minutes. I wasn't scared and I didn't even realize it was weird until I went to sleep and woke up again the next morning. I know I was awake because I was woken up by the sound of my sister who got home late. I could move though and I was lying on my side.
2cats (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-05)
I have had a similar experience. This morning I woke a little after 4 there was a design made of a hieroglyphic's that filled my bedroom ceiling, my left arm felt like a weight, figured I must have slept on it. I woke on my back. But I have seen things like that in the room before, I think the guy that spoke of the Matrix, was pretty close, it is more like a giant computer screen with symbols
Angela2558 (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-19)
Hi Ted I have similar experience just right now. But mine was different. I'm here at work and I fell asleep. When I woke up my eyes kind of heavy and saw the Hieroglyphics writing in my station, And since I'm kind of confused on what was happening, I'm just looking at it puzzled. It took a few minutes before it disappeared. I search about it right away, the meaning why am I saw it. And it leads me here. I know this blog was a few years back. But have you ever found out what is the meaning on why you have seen it?
Applejuice (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-08)
Hey, I just had a similar experience last night... At exactly 4am on my back and I sleep on my side... I have had a few night terrors, as I choose to call them, that started when I was about 30 31ish, I've had a few astral projection experiences but last night was the strangest... I was having a night Terror, this thing was sitting on me and I started to moan in my sleep and then I realized what was happening to me and used my white light technic on it to make it go away, it worked but when I opened my eyes and was fully awake, the whole ceiling was lit up with binary code... It was running threw like on a computer... I'm on a ship at sea where I work so I'm on the top bunk so I can touch the ceiling,, so I rubbed my eyes, and it was still happening, I looked to see if the tv was on and it was not, my phone was off,, I reached out and touched the ceiling and it did not go away! I was awake! I quickly turned my light on that is at my head and it disappeared...
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Sleep paralysis is fairly common. What you see when it happens is purely up to your brain- even things as bizarre as hieroglyphics.
It is not a paranormal event- it is the body and mind essentially disagreeing about what is happening around it. You are conscious, but your mind is still stuck in a dream state (I believe there is an abundance of a certain chemical still being active, but don't quote me on that).
Sleep paralysis is only thought to be paranormal because of the hallucinations that occur during it, which can be very frightening. Essentially, though, it is just a waking dream.

If it keeps happening, I would consult with a sleep specialist.

Best wishes to you.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
Ok, I wanted to follow-up with you as a similar thing happened to me last night. I was sleeping on my back (it always happens when I'm on my back), and had a weird dream. I woke up and saw glowing calculus formulas all over my room... Like a math professor was writing equations on the walls and ceilings. I don't know if your story influenced my brain to come up with that, but it was interesting. Just like you, I could still see it when my eyes were closed. It lasted about 30 seconds then faded away. Pretty wild, I should have written these equations down, might have discovered the secret to time travel or something!
MitoTakatori (49 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-05)
This reminds me of Transformers 2 Revenge of The Fallen. Have you tried searching for the glyphs you saw? Egyptian/Sumerian, etc.?
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
Tedpeck 1978, Ok I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it sounds to me a lot like astral travel. And you haven't quite made it back into your body before your body woke up. Have you heard of Astral travel? If not go to the library and find a couple books about this. It may interest you, and help you understand a little more. It would most likely be in the same section as paranormal,non-fiction,and medium type books. Good luck!
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
Ted - what you described sounds like a dmt trip... Please google dmt and tell me if it was like that.
Rype26 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
Dude, whenever I tell people my experience I had similar to yours they think I'm crazy. I was sleeping over a girls house one night, and I woke up around 3-4am and I was lying on my back with my left arm stretched out. The girls head was laying on my left arm and I felt as if her head was insanely heavy to the point where it started to hurt. I couldn't move my arm at all. The girls head was not that heavy at all from previous times sleeping in that position. Well suddenly I started to see codes like the matrix. It was running downward exactly like the matrix. I would close my eyes and still could see it. This happened for more than 5 minutes. It felt like forever. Finally I was able to move my arm from underneath her. And I just kind of brushed off the situation and fell asleep but when I woke up I was curious about what had happened.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-03)
I'd say it sounds like a sleep related issue, based off of my own experiences. I have had a few weird sleep related issues like this. The reason why you were on your back is probably related. I tend to have HORRIBLE nightmares when I sleep on my back. I always sleep on my sides or stomach. When I do have a weird or bad dream and wake up, I am always on my back. I even told this to my doctor who was concerned I might have sleep apnea - which more commonly occurs when you're on your back. He thought maybe the nightmares, sleep paralysis, and sleep related hallucinations I experienced were due to the disruption of my sleep from sleep apnea.

Your mind comes up with some pretty crazy things that make no sense... Hence the hieroglyphics. I also think the fact that you still saw it when you closed your eyes further proves it is related to your brain and not an outside factor (i.e. Ghost). I wouldn't be too worried about it! Actually sounds kind of cool.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: