You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost Who Woke Me from my Nightmare

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Who Woke Me from my Nightmare

 

When I was seventeen I lived in rural Kansas near one of the Civil War battlefields. Throughout my childhood, I had been plagued with ghostly visits and nightmares of drowning in a river. One night I was having an awful nightmare. This one was particularly disturbing because I kept seeing myself dead in bloody water in a bathtub. I could smell death and I was consumed by fear, because this seemed all too real. Just then, I was gently "shaken" awake. When I awoke, I sat up in bed, relieved that I was still alive. No one was there. I shook it off and went back to sleep.

A while later, I continued to have this ominous dream, only this time I saw my body laying in a bathtub full of blood in my grandparents' bathroom (their house was just down the road from me). Again, I was awaken from the horrific scenario in the same gentle, yet urgent manner, but there was no one there.

At this time, I thought I had merely been imagining the feeling of being shaken awake, but I was too tired to contemplate it, so I went back to sleep. Once again, I resumed the torment of dreaming of my own death in a bloody bathtub. This time the dream had a change of location to my ex-boyfriend's bathroom. There were demons present in the dream this time. I became really frightened and found myself in his upstairs bedroom, I imagine to seek consoling from him. After scanning the room, I found that he was not there. However, I did stay long enough to take note that he had re-arranged his room. It was rather tidy and I noticed his drawing board was in a different location, prepped with notebook paper that had safety pins in each corner of the paper.

For the last time, someone woke me up, this time with an even more urgency. As soon as I opened my eyes, there was an attractive young man hovering parallel to my body about two feet above me. I froze. He was glowing, white with well defined features, but he had no body, only a "fading" torso. He was looking at me really intensely and his mouth was moving in an obvious attempt to communicate with me, as if he was trying desperately to give me a message beyond the grave. My heart was pounding and when I was finally able to move out of my frozen state after what seemed like at least a minute, I rolled off the bed and ran into my mother's room. After relaying the fantastically horrifying experience to her, she just said, "Aimee, go back to bed!".

I did not return to my room that night, needless to say. I slept in my six year-old brother's room, instead.

The story does not end there. The next morning I had play practice at school. During the break, my female cast members and I went to the girls' room to freshen up. While I was washing my hands, a rather obnoxious girl came bolting into the bathroom hysterically shouting , "I seen a ghost, I seen a ghost!" She said that it was down the hallway from the theatre and identified the apparition as being a young male. I think I turned white. I did not utter a word to anyone about my ghostly visit the night before.

Quickly, I exited the girls' room and went to the commons' area to make a quick phone call to my ex-boyfriend to make sure he was still alive. We had not spoken to nor seen each other for two weeks, and I was a little worried at this point that he might be deceased. The ghostly man in my room had resembled my ex-beau, but I had not thought of the possibility that it actually could have been he who gave me the ether-worldly visit in the night.

I hastily shoved a quarter into the payphone and dialed his number. I was relieved to hear his voice when he answered. He was indeed still breathing and his blood was still pumping through his veins. I described the whole creepy incident to him, even the part about me visiting his room in the night. He remained silent, listening to my every word. When I was finished telling him everything, he said that he did clean his room and rearranged some things, as I had described them. Also he noted that his drawing board was where I had said it was in the dream, only there was drawing paper, not notebook paper, and paper clips in the corners of the board, not safety pins.

Now, in my thirties, I continue to have creepy nightmares to this day, and although I have heard and felt strange things, I have not physically seen an apparition since I was about nineteen. The mystery remains who the ghostly man was. My theory is that it was either a Civil war ghost who watched over the place, or an apparition who followed me home from one of the cemeteries I used to visit.

Other hauntings by aimspader

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aimspader, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jabyb (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-13)
Thanks for the link to your stories (from interpals).
Very interesting. I have had "an experience" too which I would like to share with you sometime:)
Julie
HoppysParanormal (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Everyone thinks ALL ghosts are mean, cruel, haunting but to be honest, not all of them are. Some left this world to early, so they want to get as close to life as possible! Some of them want to help other enjoy their lives and not letting things like horrible nightmares ruin their lives. The bad ghosts - in my opinion - are either jealous of the ones who have life or are wanting others to feel their pain. How they died etc... If you get a demon, a bad ghost or any paranormal thing you think is against you, go and see a member of the holy belief, a priest is a good example. They can cleanse your house, this drives out the thing against you. I think you have someone watching out for you. This is not a bad thing, sometimes it is not a good thing. It is up to you if you want to keep the presence or not. Thanks for reading!
NightGhost (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
😆 I laughed when I saw your title of your story I just had to read it! I was kind of gloomy and that just made my night thanks! As for your story it was a good read. Scary in some parts as for the dreams and such. You have psychic abilities to see things you're not physically aware of. Too bad for the dreams and such, I know all about that. Thank you for your story, keep posting!
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-20)
I think gaurdian angels and ghosts aren't mutually exclusive, wonder if he is an example of it. LOVE YOUR STORIES
aimspader (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-24)
Well, I did move not long after my ghostly encounter, and the fire was shortly after that. Maybe this was what the spirit was trying to warn me about. I used to mess around with the ouija board when I was in my teens, so he could have been something I "conjured" up.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-24)
Hi aimspader, you say the house burned down and the fire was said to have started in your old room? That certainly adds a twist to your story, a spooky one, if you ask me. When you moved, was it very long after the dreams? If it was close to the same time, then maybe that's what your guardian was 'desperately' trying to get across to you. Maybe it was even a warning for your future. Just a thought! 😊
aimspader (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-24)
Thank you all for your imput on this perplexing mystery. It could very well have been a guardian angel or someone who was a family member in a past life. I have always had a lot of dreams about living in the late eighteen hundreds, so this is definitely a possibility.

I certainly wish I knew what my ghost was trying to verbalize. Coincidentally, right after my family and I moved from this house, the place burned to the ground. The fire was said to have started in my old bedroom!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-24)
It is fustrating when we are unable to get the whole ,essage as conveyed by paranormal.

Continue to listen and communicate with these dreams and visions. It certainly doesn't sound as if this is harmful to you, to the contrary there appears to be a message in some of these dreams.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-24)
Thank you for sharing your experience with us aimspader. Some people might claim that you are reliving past lives within these dreams. Others that the spirit realm is trying to communicate with you during your sleep, as this is a time when your/our mental defenses are lowered and they have an easier time of getting messages across to you/us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Zagrebacki_Lovac (18 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-23)
Thank you for a great story maybe it was someone that died in the civil war and was a member of your family 😲
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-22)
Thanks for the great story, aimspader. I have never heard anything like it and it would be so scary to have a recurring dream/nightmare like yours. I'm glad things have proven to be just a dream, but it's very odd. Do you think maybe you have a guardian angel watching over you? It seems like something more personal than a civil war ghost or one that followed you home.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: