You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Nightmare Which Came True

Real Ghost Stories

A Nightmare Which Came True

 

I often used to visit my grandparents in summer vacations with my parents when I was a little kid. I was always very adamant on "being on my own" as it made me feel like a big girl. So on one instance, my parents decided to leave me alone with my grandparents for a week, which was a very big deal for me as they were always around wherever I was.

My grandparents lived in a large three-storey mansion; there was only one room on the first floor and the second floor was terrace. Although I was glad to have freedom and independence, sometimes the house was too silent, and I couldn't miss any sound, no matter how soft or low. I would hear unfamiliar footsteps from the room on first floor. Sometimes they came from my (supposedly) mom's room, which I had for myself while I stayed. I asked my grandmother once if she could hear the footsteps. And she just shook her head.

"Did your mother tell you the story of footsteps?", she asked me.

Which was odd, because she hadn't.

I didn't say anything but my grandmother continued, "She always used to complain about someone else in the house but I have never heard or seen anything."

Two days later, I was sleeping in my mom's bedroom, and I had this nightmare that while I slept on the bed, a long dark figure stood over me, just watching me, it had no eyes but its head was bent toward my direction. It kept looking at me for a long while, but then all of a sudden it reached out to grab my wrist.

I was so terrified, I woke up all sweaty even though there was plenty air conditioning in the room. I reached out for the lights immediately, but as I switched them on, my wrist pained as if it had been heavily sprained. I gasped at the pain and looked at my hand. There was big red band all over the wrist, like all the muscles along the circumference of my hand had been pulled. I didn't even bother switching the lights off, I just ran to my grandmother's room and crawled up in her bed.

Next morning, my hand was fine.

I didn't say anything to my grandmother or grandfather but I ensured they were around me all the time and slept with them through the rest of the week. Nothing happened again.

When I got back home, I told my mom about it and she told me the "thing" only bothers those who "pay attention" to it. According to her, I wasn't used to so much of silence and that's how it got to me. The key, to avoid the "haunting" was to keep your mind busy. The more you have on your mind, the easier you can tune it out (which explained why my grandparents never heard it, and neither did I after the night because I was always thinking about whether someone is around me or not).

I always kept myself busy after that whenever I visited the house. They still live in the same house. And I didn't experience it again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ScarletMystique, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-25)
The advice give by your parents is advice that I have heard many times before - even extending out to not actively attempting to communicate or react to hauntings lest they grow in activity. Worse, they could attach to you. I do not know whether or not I believe this, but it does make a little bit of sense if you think about it.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
Lady-glow,

As much as I want to avoid going too far off of the subject, it feels important for me to say something:

I was having a really difficult day today and your comment has made my day better. I try to be helpful.

Thank you for the wonderful complement.
- Maria ❤ ❤ ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
Lealeigh,

I tried to up-vote you but the system says I have to vote for someone else.

As much as I dislike when a poster has decided not to participate in the discussion to their story, I really enjoy reading comments like yours that are always very interesting and informative. Thanks!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
Sorry, I meant to ask if your Grandparent's 'house' is very old.

- Maria
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
Hi ScarletMystique,

Is your Grandparent's very old? Your mother told you that keeping your mind busy would keep you from experiencing whatever it is.

From your story you said:
"When I got back home, I told my mom about it and she told me the "thing" only bothers those who "pay attention" to it."

That statement makes me wonder if she knew of anyone else that had trouble in that particular room of the house.

In the past, I have found that wearing headphones and listening to music is helpful to me when I must spend time in a place where I am uneasy. Not that I'm suggesting that you always ignore specific senses. Your senses are there for your safety.

I believe that you have the upper-hand over any person or entity that can't or won't confront you by the light of day.

I have noticed, after taking the trouble to type my comment, that you aren't going to participate in the discussion.

Thank you for sharing your experience and best wishes to you,
- Maria ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
I know that you have decided not to participate in the discussion but, -would it be possible that the " big red band all over the wrist, like all the muscles along the circumference of my hand had been pulled" was caused for the position you were sleeping? Perhaps the redness and pain was nothing else that the result of the pressure of your body over your wrist and your mind made up a dream to match what you were feeling.

Is your mother aware if anyone else has experienced this haunting?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: