You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Heavy Breathing and Other Strange Things Going On

Real Ghost Stories

Heavy Breathing and Other Strange Things Going On

 

I moved into my house 7 years ago and I first noticed things back then, I had just had a baby and before moving in my partner stayed in the house whilst it was being decorated, he used to tell me that the toilet flushed on its own and that he could hear footsteps upstairs (got to the point where he would only sleep downstairs).

A few weeks later myself and baby moved in, our house was fully decorated except for one room, which was to be the babies. I heard footsteps upstairs every night, sometimes running, sometimes stomping, not adult footsteps, sounded more like a kids. Then when I'd go to bed with the baby, I always felt something in my room, babies cot was just at the end of my bed and I could always sense there was something not right around it, I refused to put her in the cot, she slept in the bed with me and my partner. I'd wake up to feed her and always had the feeling of being watched, sometimes it was an ok feeling, sometimes it made me uneasy, it always came from around the cot.

Noises carried on in the other room, things would be moved and such, this died down when the room was finally decorated (my mum and I used to joke that the ghostie wanted a nice room), by this time my baby wasn't a baby, she was 2 and was now in her room with the new baby. I had baby monitors in there and sometimes we could hear talking sometimes giggling, I put that down to the monitors picking up on other things (I hope that's what it was anyway).

Noises seemed to have died down now but just before xmas last year, I was in bed (I am now in the room the girls were in) and I was watching tv, I heard breathing. Heavy heavy breathing, I muted the tv could still hear it, girls were at their dad's so it wasn't them, there was a breathing noise in my room and I was well spooked, I sat up in my bed and did the "is anybody there?" thing in the squeekiest voice you could imagine and sooo hoping I didn't get a response.

Then there was a weight at the bottom of my bed. I don't think I have ever moved so fast in my life. It felt like someone had sat down at the end of the bed, so I went downstairs and watched tv down there before deciding 3 hours later to go back to bed. I got in bed and listened, no breathing noises (phew) I'm just settling down into bed, close my eyes and bam it felt like a hand stroked my forehead. At this point I buried myself in the duvet and just refused to budge, whatever it was went away and I haven't heard anything like that since.

Other things that happen are things being hidden, things totally vanishing, you can be sat on a chair red hot when all of a sudden you just go cold, it lasts a few seconds and then your warm again.

I shall post more as and when it happens, but any ideas what the heavy breathing thing could have been as that really scared me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sezzlebum, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mamalisa (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
I have had almost the exact same thing happen. We bought our home 9 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. I never felt any presence or anything out of the ordinary but when my son was around 2 he started having conversations with an invisible friend upstairs in his room. He never had these conversations anywhere else in the house. I could hear him carrying on a conversation from downstairs and I would call up to him and ask him who he was speaking to and he would say his friend.
As he got older I started noticing a pattern of night terrors that only happened when he slept upstairs. He would cry and stair at the doorway leading to the hallway in shear terror. The only way he will sleep upstairs now is with the door shut and the light on. When I inquired about what he saw in his dream he he would shut down and say he didn't want to talk about it. Around 2 years ago my husband started sleeping downstairs because he said the stairs bothered his knees. Increasingly my son started spending more and more time sleeping with us and less in his own bed and more and more with his father downstairs.
I started noticing things about 6 months ago. Footsteps on the floor boards that creek in my room approaching my bed and then a depression made at the foot of my bed that I could feel. Like someone sat there momentarily and got back up. My adult daughter moved back home last month and we moved her into her brothers room, mostly because he didn't want to sleep there. Last night I was sleeping but was awoke by noises downstairs. I could hear my daughter was up watching television. I laid there for about 30 minutes trying to go back to sleep when I started to hear heavy breathing. I held my breath thinking I was hearing my own breathing but still heard it loudly. It sounded very much like my son sounds when he is sleeping it was kind of a light snoring sound. I felt the bed next to me thinking he had maybe gotten in bed with me while I was asleep but no one was there. I looked through the covers and under the bed. Sometime during this time of searching it stopped. I did not feel afraid or threatened but confused and perplexed. I tried to come up with a reasonable explanation but could not.
I came downstairs to watch tv with my daughter and found myself telling her what had happened. She said she too has heard the footsteps and noises and said I should just accept the fact that we have a ghost in the house.
Our home is built very close to an old farm house that was moved from its original location. I can look out my bathroom window and wave to the neighbors on the porch of that farm house. It is less than 40 feet from roof to roof. I had a very vivid dream once that the barn from the hey day of that old farm house was located where the north side of my house is now. I could see the people working there and the animals and children playing around the straw.
I don't know if this is associated with that old farmhouse or not but would like to hear what others think.
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
😲 Right on! I'm new to this site so I will have a lot of stories to tell... My house is quite haunted and pretty much every house we moved to when I was a kid was haunted too. I have no shortage of stories.

By the way... Do you still live at this house? If so I hope to hear some more stories!
futureghost211 (4 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
WOW, that exact thing happened to me a few years ago. First the breathing and then the light touch. I was touched on my arm. Nobody knows what it's like until it happens to them. I'm glad to have had the experience though. Hang in there. 😁
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
I have seen ghosts in my house I have had something which had breathed on me I understand what you are going through. It is scary!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
Very believable. All these have happened in my old house, as well. Keep us posted!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
Okay, sorry sezzlebum, I just re-read your comment and see the answers to my questions about your kids. What if you try switching rooms with them and see if either you or your kids have any frights in the different rooms? Might be worth a try... 😉
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
Wow, sezzlebum, it sounds like this is a real day to day occurrence around your place. You didn't mention hearing the heavy breathing since that one time, weird, but I bet a relief to you. Now it sounds like your spirit friends are just fooling with you. How are your kids? Do they tell of anything strange or have any fears? Keep us updated! 😁
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Your daughter sounds like mine at that age. She used to hear and see things all the time in her room. Now I never tell her she is full of Bologna or anything like that. I'd checked it out and let her know what it really is or was. I think that at that age they just want to be in on what adults do after they go to sleep. You know since we hold our secret society meetings and parties once they are asleep. LOL. It sure sounds to me, like you have a prankster spirit or two on your hands. Maybe getting the home blessed or having a smudge ceremony performed upon it to release those that may be trapped. Thanks for your response sezzlebum.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
I would suggest some research into your home. You may have a poltergeist being mischevious, however if you feel there are children entities in your home, they may need some help and prayers to cross over. They may be frightened to cross over. Speak to them and reassure them if they go to the light they will find those who love them there and all the peace and playing they need. I hate to think of children trapped on this side.

God Bless!
sezzlebum (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Thanks for your comments
Sahne my dad died a year before the breathing thing, but the other noises were happening from the day I moved in, he didn't have breathing problems though but who knows maybe it was him, kind of comforting although it freaked me out lol.

Currently my little girls are in that room and my eldest is refusing to go to sleep because she hears noises, it could be midnight before she nods off and being only 7 that's not good but I'm not sure what shes hearing as it could just be general house noises, she hasnt said specifically what it is she hears.

In addition to the things I said, I had a freind over when she was just a few months old, my friend came on her bike and broguht her bike jacket in the house and put it on the sofa.
The baby was on a blanket on the floor playing and it had just started raining outside. I was showing my friend around upstairs and we came downstairs and her jacket had gone. Vanished completely. I f someone had of come in from the outside there would have been footprints, we would have heard the door going and I think they would have taken more than a jacket, we were upstairs all of 10 minutes and there is still to this day no trace of her jacket.

More lately things like my bank cards have disapeared, then after I cancel them and get a new one a week later they appear from no where on the table.

I'll look into the history of the house but it might be awkward as it isn't really that old, I think it was built in the 70's. I will however try and see what was here before.
Thanks again for your comments :)
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Dear sezzlebum,

You may have an uninvited, playful guest who came with your house and also a loved one or two checking in on you and your family. You did not ask for help, so hope things settle down where in the future you will not have need of any.--Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Did you have a relative that had passed recently. Maybe one who had a breathing problem? If so it could have been them coming back to watch over you or to say their final good-byes. It also sounds like you have a prankster spirit or two in your home, quite possibly children. Do a little research into the home and see what you can dig up. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: