You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Final Farewell

Real Ghost Stories

Final Farewell

 

When I was in my mid 20s I attended a business school in New York where I had a dear friend in my class by the name of Doreen whom I was very close to. Doreen was young and single and most of all beautiful. We got along like sisters. During that time, I was married and was about six months pregnant and often times Doreen along with my other friends would give me snacks in class to curb my cravings for food.

However, after graduation, I stopped keeping in touch with my classmates because I was way too busy with my new baby and my husband and it seems like I had time for no one else.

I have worked at many jobs and one in particular was in midtown Manhattan around Lexington Avenue. It was a hot summer day and I decided to take a walk during my lunch hour and lo and behold there was Doreen coming out of one of the buildings a few blocks from my job. At first Doreen looked a bit faded but I did not think much of it. I thought my vision was poor. I smiled with Doreen while my jaw dropped in shock to see her. It was indeed a joyous moment to see my dear friend Doreen after such a long time. She ran up to me and we held each other and hugged tightly and I told her that I miss her and that it was good to see her again after a long time. I told her about the rumors I heard about some of our other friends passing away and she asked me about work.

Doreen was now walking with me back to my job and we were talking on the street. One woman who was walking on the street stopped and asked me who I was talking to and I told her that I was talking to my friend and she told me that there was no one there. I looked at Doreen and told her that the woman needs to mind her own business and how could she ask me such a thing. Doreen looked embarrassed. The stranger left. Doreen and I talked about our families and I asked her if she ever got married and she said that she was married, has a son and was living with her mom. She gave me her mom's phone number and I gave her my number before we departed.

A few days later, I called the phone number that Doreen gave me and her mother answered the phone. She asked me how I got her number I told her Doreen gave me her number a few days ago to call her and she asked me my name and when I told her she said Doreen always talked about me. Her mother started crying and screaming loudly and I asked her what was the matter and she told me that Doreen has died a month ago. Doreen's mom and was grieving all over again and she could not speak anymore. She gave her son the phone to talk to me and I could still hear the mom crying loudly in the background for Doreen. Upon learning of Doreen's death, I was in deep shock and grieving for Doreen myself even though I have seen and talked with her a few days ago. I guess Doreen wanted me to know that she died and that was her way of saying goodbye to me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Angel9090, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
Hello again Angel9090;

Thanks for your response, and I have a feeling that the New York City Board of Education is still your best bet. That is assuming that they still have the records. Some schools are fussy about that, and some are not. You don't mention when the encounter with Doreen happened; if it was fairly recent, then you may be lucky. If you could just find Doreen's family name, you may be able to do your own research. After all, her mother may now also be deceased.

You mentioned I think, that you embraced Doreen, and walked and chatted with her, and at no time did you feel uneasy. You took her to be as real as you. And that Doreen appeared a little uncomfortable when the passerby questioned you. When I read that, I thought maybe Doreen knew something that you didn't. Also I'd be interested to know how your family reacted to your story.

I must say that I find that this event is particularly interesting because it involves an extended exchange between 'a ghost' and a real person, but there was no suspicion on your part that the apparition wasn't real.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Such a beautiful story. My condolences about your loss. You huged each other? Like a substancial person? That's amazing. Hope all is well.
Angel9090 (guest)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Thanks Tina! From talking to her, I know that she feels relieved that her mom will look after her son but it still bothers me that she said she was married and had a son which shows that she was looking forward to life. She looked just like a normal human being and I could have never guessed that she was dead. I get some comfort in knowing that when we pass on, our souls will still live on.
TinAA (1 stories) (84 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Hi Angel,That's an amazing story. I liked the way she came to meet you for the final good bye. Friendship indeed lasts forever.
Thanks to share and peace be with her soul.
Angel9090 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Limey.

Thanks for all of your replies. I will definitely explore your options.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Hi Angel9090:

Thanks for the further info. This is very helpful. Your recent encounter with one of the other mothers may well lead to Doreen's family. If you locate an authority such as your old school, or somebody that you feel knows of the whereabouts of Doreen's family, I've found that simply asking them to pass along your contact info to the party will lead to a contact. This way, no security has been compromised, and the family will respond to you if they feel comfortable in doing so.
Angel9090 (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
My encounter with Doreen after she passed and then seeing her and then finding out that she was deceased has not been an easy experience. For example, when my conversation ended with her family on the phone after the first call where I actually found out that she had been deceased a month ago, I was so filled with grief that I did not know what to do. I sat by the phone for about ten minutes saying out loud to myself in tears " Doreen, my Doreen I am so sorry that you died." I do not have the piece of paper with Doreen's phone number since so much time have passed and I must have thrown it out with my old pocketbooks. However, about five years ago, I ran into the mother of another friend from Royal business School in a church and I told her about the incident with Doreen and now we will try to locate some of the old teachers to find out if they remember Doreen's last name so that we can possibly contact the family.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
Hello again Angel9090;
My apologies for asking more questions, but I find your experience so interesting, and just as interesting, your easy acceptance of your encounter with a deceased friend.
I do have a few more questions. First, you mention that there is a thirty year gap between the last time you saw Doreen as a student, and your current age. But when did the encounter take place? Second, do you still have the piece of paper on which Doreen wrote her mother's phone number? That would be nice. Third, if you can get her mother's address (by calling her again), then it may be very useful to have a face-to-face chat with her and Doreen's husband and brother. It would be helpful in some way to know if Doreen visited anybody else after she died.
Thanks again Angel9090, and thanks for your patience.
Angel9090 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
Thanks for your condolence Sushankar and it was a real blessing to give her the final hug and to ensure her family that her spirit lives on.
Angel9090 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
I was about 22 years out when I bid Doreen my final goodbye and now I am 52. During that time both Doreen and I attended Royal Business School in Kew Gardens, New York. The business school has since been closed and I believe there is a new school in its place. All the records of all the students who attended Royal Business School are kept by the New York City Board of Education so in order for me to get Doreen's mother's phone number I may have to go that route to see if they have it and I am not sure if they will give me other peoples information but I would like to talk to the family.

When I called to speak to Doreen when she had passed away and I did not know and I talked to her brother, he told me that Doreen had been ill before she passed.

When I had seen Doreen when she looked faded and after I smiled with her and gave her a surprise happy look, she materialized into a real solid person while she was running up to me and there was no doubt in my mind that I was talking to a real person whom I believe to be my best friend.

The building that Doreen came out from was around 41st Street in midtown around Chase Manhattan Bank.

Previously, there was Boltons a block from my job and now I believe there is a Bank of America instead. Right before Boltons, a stranger asked me who I was talking to and that there was no one there and I thought she was rude to ask me that because as far as I was concerned Doreen was on the right side of me walking with me and she was real.

I had scraps papers in my handbag or junk papers as I called them and Doreen wrote down her phone number on a piece of the paper and likewise I wrote my number down on another piece and we said our goodbys infront of the building where I worked 711 Third Avenue, New York, New York. When I returned into my building for work I assumed Doreen went back to work in the building where I saw her coming out from.

I believe that Doreen had worked in the building where she was coming out from since she looked like a business woman with her hair done up, a summer scarf around her neck and wearing a two piece. Doreen's mom also asked me what she was wearing and she told me that Doreen was buried with a scarf and that she was indeed married and had a son.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
Hi Angel;

Quite a remarkable story! You must follow this up. Please get in touch with Doreen's mother and try to get some more details about your friend's (presumably premature) death. Maybe there's a connection to the building that you saw her exit. You say that you exchanged phone numbers; did you both write them on paper, or did one or both of you make an electronic note? Did Doreen's faded appearance clarify at all? Do you recall exactly where you last saw her when you said goodbye?

So interesting Angel; I would be so interested if you could follow-up. Few encounters with spirits leave tangible things behind, for us to explore.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
Hello Angel9090! It was a beautiful story you have shared with us. My condolence to your best friend. May her soul rest in peace. It was amazing and truly a wonderful experience for you. She too must have been searching for you for that final hug.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: