You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Prior To Christmas

Real Ghost Stories

Prior To Christmas

 

After our autumn months here in the Southern Hemisphere, I had a 'dry' season, as far as anything-unusual goes. I thought I had been deserted by the paranormal (or whatever you like to call it), but it was only a lull in activity. At the end of September, things gradually started warming up again, both the weather and the occurrences that make me go "Huh!"

On Tuesday 30th September, I wrote in my journal: Only a few odd whiffs of perfume or pipe tobacco to report since my last entry. Tonight at 20:15, Ray (my husband) and I were sitting at our respective PCs when we heard something loud enough to make me jump and exclaim, "What the hell was that?" The sound came from right behind us. It was as if something had dropped, or been thrown to the tile floor with force - whatever it was sounded like it bounced, but not like a ball - something more solid. Well, we never found the source of the sound, despite searching the whole floor.

Almost two weeks later, I had my second experience. Our ten- year-old granddaughter was spending the weekend with us - she calls me Mom.

Sunday 12 October: This morning, before dawn, I awoke to the sound of someone walking softly in the passage, towards our bedroom. I listened intently, hearing the barely perceptible rustle of clothing. Next, I felt a presence in the room and heard a whispered "Mom?" I sat up with a jolt, expecting to find Shenay in the room. What did I see in the pre-dawn light? Nothing! I was left to draw my own conclusions, as Shenay was still fast asleep in her bed.

Thursday 16 October: At about 20:00, I was standing in the passage at our serving hatch, sorting out my nightly tablets. Suddenly, out of my peripheral vision, I saw something small and dark travelling downwards, fast, as if it had fallen from the ceiling. I glanced down at my feet and was just in time to see, what I presumed at the time, to be a mouse scuttle away and disappear under the couch in the adjacent lounge. On reflection, it seemed too round and fluffy to be a mouse and it travelled at an incredible speed - much faster than I have ever seen a mouse run. It looked black and had a long tail. That definitely was weird!

Friday 17 October:. Ray and I were in the kitchen sorting out supper. I was standing at our kitchen table, nearest our spice rack when there was a 'whack' on the floor to my right. I looked down to see our large plastic dragonfly lying there. Ray glanced over, saw it, and said, "How could that happen? I had that wedged securely in the spice rack!" It hadn't fallen straight down either, but was about a meter from the wall, right beside my foot.

On 27 November, Ray started his four-day stint as Father Christmas at the Coca-Cola Dome in Johannesburg. On his last day, he was to leave from work, travelling to an adjoining province to work there until 24 December. I would be alone for almost a month. I was slightly nervous at the prospect, but I need not have worried. I had great plans of making our granddaughter clothes as Christmas gifts and buckled down virtually the moment Ray was out of the door on the first day.

Friday 28 November: A couple of times while I was sewing, I caught the scent of flowers - lilies maybe? I checked myself, but the smell definitely wasn't from me. The lovely scent was only with me while seated at the sewing machine and all doors and windows near me were closed. I vacated my seat a few times, but, on my return, the scent was back again.

A little back-story for those of you who are not familiar with my submissions. Our youngest daughter Angel, mother to Shenay, was taken from us in June 2012. Angel was a qualified designer, pattern maker, and dressmaker. I am a rank amateur at making clothes. I got the feeling that Angel may have been looking over my shoulder and smiling as I made clothes for her daughter.

Sunday 30 November: Early in the morning, I decided I had better check my mail. I left my PC on while I made myself breakfast. When I returned, it had been switched off. I know I did not do it, and I am alone in the house, or am I?

Wednesday 3 December: At approximately 20:30, I turned back from the front door where I had been looking out to see why Zeus was barking. In the gloom, with only light coming from the kitchen, I noticed that the one door to the TV cabinet was open. I hadn't watched TV since Ray left on Sunday morning and was sure that the cabinet had been locked. Hmm...

Thursday 4 December, 11:15: I took out the garbage for collection. On the way to the back door, just before reaching the dustbin outside, I was assailed by the most glorious scent. It smelt somewhat powdery, like a deodorant or something akin. The wind was blowing from the north - the nearest house in that direction is about 100yds away. Another mystery!

At 11:45, I went to take my tablets, which I keep on the serving hatch. Instead of walking around to the passage side, I took the short cut through the dining room. I noticed that Ray's chair was pulled out and askew, as he always leaves it. On Monday when I had vacuumed, I straightened all the dining chairs, and they were still all in place last night when I had supper. Is more going on now, or is it that being alone in the house, I am more apt to notice it?

Saturday 6 December: The woman from next door came over to use my over-locker. She was sitting at the machine sewing when I offered her a cup of tea. She started to accept, and then stopped halfway through her sentence. With a look of surprise, she blurted out that she had just seen someone walk past behind me. She was shocked when I calmly told her it could be my Auntie, or the woman from the house that had been here previously, or even my daughter. At first, she thought I was making fun of her. I assured her that I believed her - that obviously started a completely new conversation, Lol.

Sunday 7 December, 17:45: I went to the bedroom to fetch myself a new packet of smokes. I was standing at the foot of the bed taking the cellophane wrapper off when there was a popping sound behind me. Naturally, I whipped around to see what was going on. There sat my deodorant, right side up, on the carpet with the cap neatly beside it. How is that for a 'coincidence'?

Nothing odd happened for the next two weeks, but I had a sense of calm the whole time I was on my own. I had that warm, fuzzy, protected feeling. The next occurrence was possibly a reminder, reassurance, or a parting gift.

Sunday 21 December, 22:00: It started raining and, as I expected a thunderstorm, I shut off my PC and went through to the lounge. The right hand door to the TV cabinet was open again. I am positive I locked it.

Thank you for reading. Any and all opinions or comments are welcome.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-07)
Val, at the time, I contemplated residual energy when the chair was moved. That is possible too, isn't it? 😕
An animal spirit you say? Hmm... That gives me pause for thought. After a lot of ruminating, I think I remember reading two similar accounts, here on YGS, of like creatures scuttling around. I'm darned if I can find them though. I would have loved to read the comments on those accounts.

Thank you for your kind words Val. ❤
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Fergie, loved your account just like always. Personally, I think when we're alone we just notice things more, because there is less distraction. At any other time, you would have blamed the chair being askew on Ray, or your granddaughter, and not even mention it, right? But, when alone we don't have those handy 'explanations'. We know we didn't do it, so who did?
Your black falling thing, that plopped and scurried, may have been an animal spirit. However, I'm not sure it would 'plop'...but on the other hand, we do have Wish-Not's account of a...ummm flatulent ghostie, which is a sound, and we also have 'footsteps', so to me, hearing one make a 'plopping' sound seems reasonable.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Fergie,
Oh thanks for understanding. And nope it's not old age, because I do it. Yes I beilieve I have read your previous two storys about that, because I've read a lot about that type of thing and have experianced things in that category, but not anymore. 😊. Its goods know that it may be you daughter, If I had a spirit in my home, I would definatly want it to be a relative over anything else.
And your welcome I for readings story and commenting, I love experiences that are well written and organized like yours.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Miracles, thank you for 'picking up the slack' for me. I did have an "Oh Dear! Did I make a mistake?" moment when I first read Sam's comment. 😕
Thanks for setting him straight.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
LOL Sam, you are forgiven for your blunder. I often misread words too, then have to go back and read again. Lol, I thought it was just old age. 😉

To answer your questions:
The 'creature' that I saw fall had a tail as long as a rat, but the body appeared too small and round to belong to a rat. I am still familiar (I think) with the size of rats, as one of my daughters had a pair. (Luckily the female didn't live long enough for them to breed.)
Nov28 - Quite often either Ray or myself smell either perfume or some other floral scent in the house. This usually happens at the most inappropriate times.
Dec6 - I guess you are correct, I don't think I am ever completely alone in the house. I have seen my aunt (she lived with us for 28 years) and I have seen a shadow man in our house. Both instances have been written about in previous accounts of mine. Other spirits in our home, I only 'feel' or hear (or smell).
Dec7 - If there is a mischievous spirit in our house, it has got to be our late daughter Angel. She was always a bright spark with a wicked sense of humour and very sharp wit. She was always on at me to stop smoking, so I could readily imagine her distracting me like that and saying "I can see what you are doing...haven't you had enough for one day?"

Thank you for reading, and your comments and question Sam. I am really happy that you enjoyed my submissiom.


😳
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Miracles,
Ahhhhhh crap, I feel like head but the wall in front of me, I accidentaly read "Souther Hemisphere" as "Southern New hampshire", dang it, I was wondering why it said south Africa. Sorry for making that mistake, Sorry Fergie, please disregard that part of the post. (Darn it!).

Still loved the story though. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Sam - the exception in this case is Fergie lives in South Africa. It's posted right under her name at the top of each of her stories. I also believe it's on her profile.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Fergie,
Ha! Never heard of things warming up at the end of September! (Sarcasm. Lol sorry I live next to NH (Maine)) But I guess there is an exertion in this case.
About your third journal entry: was the thing you saw like a Large rat?
Nov28: I'm jealous, I wish I had had free air freshener.
Dec6: Well, after reading this entry, I'd say your not alone in that house, I bet it's never empty.
Dec7: I've come to the conclusion that a mischievous spirit wanders your house.
Thanks for sharing, I hope you post some more soon, I looking forward t. It. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-05)
Hi, WiniPu4:

I agree, I am very fortunate to still feel the love of loved ones that have passed on. At times, when I got to an intricate bit of sewing, I actually 'asked for help'. I am sure Angel put ideas into my head - call me crazy if you will, but that is how I felt at the time.

Yes, Christmas time is still very difficult for us, but this year was just a smidgen less difficult than last year. They say that time heals, but they don't say how huge the scar will be.

Thank you for reading, and your comment, WiniPu. ❤
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-05)
Hi, Fergie:
It sounds to me like your daughter was letting you know that she is with you during the holidays.
I can only imagine how difficult it must be during Christmas after the loss of a child.
I'm sure she was making her presence known in an effort to comfort you and convey the love she has for you. It sounds like she accomplished that.
You are very fortunate to have the ability to sense those you love in spirit around you.
Warm Regards,
Lynev
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
Fergie do not EVER be sorry for anything you've written! I've found every one of your accounts fascinating and follow you like a groupie. (shamelessly lol)

I was just throwing the feather thing out there. Feathers definitely don't plop or scurry. I'll have to ponder it some more.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
Babygoat, thank you, as usual, for your lovely comment. I am sorry my submission wasn't anything too exciting this time. But, as you say, memorable occurrences.

The black thing that fell, fell much too fast for a feather and made a faint plopping sound as it landed by my foot. Also, the draft coming from the front door would have blown in the opposite direction, had it been a feather. Have you any more suggestions?

Thank you for reading and your sweet response. ❤
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
I saw your name Fergie and went "oh yay!" 😁

Mostly sounds as mundane as what my umm..."visitor" does. But nevertheless, to me anyway, exciting and memorable. Mine most always happen when I'm alone, which is most of the time so I don't have anyone to discuss it with and label most of them as "meh" moments. Do you think it's possible that the black falling thing could have been a feather?

I have no doubt that your Angel is always with you and Shenay. Thank you for sharing and I always look forward to reading more of your accounts.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: