You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunting At Grandma's

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting At Grandma's

 

It all started about 5 years ago. I was about 14 when my mom, my older sister Tara and I moved into my grandma's house after my parents divorced. My grandma decided it was time for her to get an apartment in town, considering she was getting older and couldn't maintain the house by herself anymore. We helped her pack up and move her into a nice small apartment in town so it would be easier for her to get around. My mom, sister, and I all stayed and lived in my grandma's house while she was in her new home. This is where the story begins.

My sister thought it would be a fun time to go out with some friends and play with a Ouija board a couple of times. The first time was in one of her friend's basements. She had told me that they all sat in a circle in her friends basement with the Ouija board in the middle of them and lit a candle. They asked questions, waited around, nothing creepy was happening and they were getting bored. When finally they decided nothing was going to happen, the candle they lit made a very high pitch screech noise and blew itself out. Scared, they all ran upstairs.

The second time that they played with a Ouija board was in a cemetery. They all gathered around a gravestone and again lit a candle and played it, only this time they swore they heard chains moving around throughout the graveyard. They all got scared again and went home. This is where the ghost stories begin.

Story #1: My very first experience was at midnight. I was just laying my bed reading a book when I glance over and notice my cat staring at my closet. Something falls in my closet and makes a loud noise, my cat jumps high in the air! And my VCR turned on, and then back off. I just thought how weird that all was, but didn't think much of it.

Story #2: My second experience was a little more creepy. Again, I was laying in bed around midnight, but this time I was playing with one of those little 20 questions balls. I was trying to make it guess vampire, but instead it guessed the devil and then started to flicker and beep and make these weird noises. So I threw it! And went to bed a little frightened.

Story #3: The next experience wasn't mine, but my sister's. She had told me that one morning when I was away, my mom was at work, and she was home alone that she had woke up, taken a shower, and went right back in her bedroom. Her boyfriend at the time called her cell phone, but considering that we have awful service out where we live she had told him to call the house phone. He called her back on her cell phone saying that it was busy. She thought that was weird so she went into our mom's room first to check the house phone in her room, picked it up and pressed the talk button. The phone wasn't making the buzzing noise it should be, so she went into our living room to check that house phone, and it was sitting on the end table next to the hook, On for 4 minutes.

Story #4: My mom had gone to bed and my sister and I were just watching TV in the living room when all of the sudden we both started hearing this thumping noise. We muted the TV for a minute to listen closely to it, and it sounded exactly like someone with big work boots was stomping up or down the stairs to our basement. We both started talking about how creepy it was and started to think that there might actually be something in the house. Startled, we both just went to bed.

Story #5: At this point my sister and I have experienced lots of things happening to us, such as bangs coming from the basement, footsteps walking up and down the stairs, footsteps walking around the house, and our cats staring at things that don't exist and then running away frantically! But also at this point is when we start to notice it opening and closing doors. If there was an open door, it was closed. If there was a closed door, it was suddenly open, and our closets as well.

Story #6: This would have to be one of the creepiest experiences I have ever had. Nightmares would occur to me every once in a while, and they usually involved demons and demonic things. This nightmare will forever haunt me... I went to bed and had a nightmare about me sleeping, and in the nightmare I had woken up from my closet door rattling, I turn and look at my closet while its still rattling violently. I put the covers over my head and the rattling stops. I look at the closet and the closet light is on. The closet starts to slowly open, and then opens all the way with force! I pull the covers over my head expecting some monster to be in it. I look in the closet and nothing is there... I thought "phew" and then turned over on my other side in my bed/ A tall demon with big claws was standing beside my bed, gets on top of me and starts to strangle me! I'm gasping for air and can't get out of its grip. I wake up from my nightmare, and notice my closet light is on. I get a text message from one of my friends at 3:00 am saying that he/she had the scariest dream about me. I ask what it was, he/she said that in the nightmare, he/she was in my house and they walked in my hallway to my bedroom, opened up the door and stood in my bedroom doorway, watching me move around frantically in my bed, gasping for air like something was strangling me but there was nothing there. I told my friend about the nightmare that I just had and thought how paranormal all of that was. I fell back asleep with the lights on that night.

Story #7: Nightmares, footsteps, bangs, etc all happening in the house now, but that's not all. One day, a good friend of mine was hanging out in town and then decided to come back to my house. We pulled in the driveway, got in the house, I was taking my shoes off in the breezeway when my friends says, "Um... Heather?" I look at her "Yeah?" I say. She dead stares into the kitchen in horror and points.

I look in the kitchen and notice the dining chairs tipped over on the ground, the table moved into a different position, things that were on the counter, now on the floor. All the doors that were open were closed and the doors that were closed, open. Everything was just trashed! I thought that maybe we were robbed at first, but nothing was missing.

Then I noticed something a little odd. We had a little porcelain Jesus sitting on a small shelf above our TV in our living room... If it would have fallen off the shelf it would have fell onto the TV and broke the glass. The porcelain Jesus looked like it had been thrown all the way across the room. And the picture of Jesus we have was also on the floor. My closet in my room was also opened up.

This happened another time with my boyfriend. Except this time, my boyfriend and I were at my house and decided to rent a movie from a store that was literally a mile from my house. We were gone for 8 minutes exactly, came back, and the whole house was trashed again. Both Jesus related things on the ground again, along with a black and white picture of an old house that was on the wall in the hallway, which was cracked. From then on, that black and white picture of the house would always fall off once put back on the wall.

Story #8: I decided to go for a nice night jog one night, it was dark and late, probably about 11:00 p.m by the time I got back home from my mile jog. Anyways, I started to walk up our long driveway. We have a big window in the living room in the front of the house. The living room lamp was on and the clear curtains were closed. I looked at the window and saw a silhouette of a person peaking through the curtains and then walking off. All I kept thinking to myself was, "Aw man, my mom is awake and she found out I went night jogging and she's probably going to yell at me." Because she never liked me going for jogs so late at night. So I got inside, preparing myself to be yelled at, when I notice it's quiet in the house. I walk into the living room and notice no one is there, and then hear my mother snoring softly in the distance. I was so confused and started to get this feeling of fear... I knew it wasn't my mom that had peaked at me through the curtains.

Story #9: More and more paranormal things were happening everyday it seemed like. Doors are now closing in front of our eyes, and inanimate objects were moving by themselves. But now, it was following me. I stayed over at my boyfriend's house. The next morning his mom was on a vacation and he had to work early the next morning, so I stayed there while he went to work. Alone in the house, I started to hear loud banging noises come from his room while I was in his living room... I turned off the TV, got out my phone and decided to record the noises, but once I started the video the banging stopped.

I waited a little while and little noises started to occur throughout the house. I kept my phone out hoping that my phone was catching the little noises... But then I caught more than I wanted to. A big metal hanging that they had on their wall lifted up off the wall and dropped, creating a huge loud metal bang on the wall! And scared me so bad! I was shaking and the video caught it all!...

I kept the video going when all the sudden I caught the bathroom door close shut. Still recording, I look over beside me and closely watch the closet door next to me... It was making a quiet little rattling noise. So I viewed it closer and realized that it was the doorknob slowly turning. I was so scared I couldn't move. I kept the video on the closet when all the sudden the closet doorknob turned all the way and opened up completely! Before I could see inside it I ran out the door! But the scariest thing was, the closet door doesn't have a doorknob on the inside of the closet, only the outside. So whatever was turning the doorknob, had to of been on the outside of the closet... Standing beside me.

Story #10: I was home alone at night, mom was out of town and at this point my sister was moved out in her own apartment for college. I was just sitting on my laptop in the living room with the TV on and the lamp on when all the sudden the TV didn't turn off but the screen turned black and the sound was off. I looked at it wondering what happened, when all the sudden the lamp turns off also.

Now, at this point, I'm freaking out inside because it's completely dark almost and I'm home alone. I finally get the courage to get up and turn the lamp back on. The only light I had was the light from my laptop and the very, very dim light the black screen on the TV was providing. I turn on the lamp and stood there for a minute with this overwhelming fear that I wasn't alone and being watched. I hesitated to move for a few moments when something standing beside me let out a big breath that blew my hair in front of my face hitting my ear and sending a billion chills up my spine! I was horrified.

Story #11: The black and white picture that was on the hallway wall had been falling off of it for months so we finally decided to just take it down. We laid it on the dining room table until we figured out what to do with it. The next morning I realized it was gone, so I asked my mom what she ended up doing with it and she had told me that she woke up and it was gone from its spot. Just disappeared basically and still to this day we have not found it.

Story #12: My mom was gone and I was home alone at night again, my sister was back home for the weekend but she was staying at her friend's house for the night and had left her new kitten at our house. It was nighttime and I was watching TV in the living room when I heard the kitten meowing and crying in the kitchen. I got up to go get it and comfort it. I stood in the kitchen watching my sister's other cat standing the breezeway staring out the door turning its head like it was confused. I called his name to get him to look at me and he looked behind me, arched his back and hissed at something behind me. Scared out of my mind, while holding the kitten, I turn around and see the dining room light swinging and one dining room chair pulled out turned at me, like it wanted me to sit in the chair.

I don't know how long I stood there and stared at, I was so startled at what happened. Finally, I got up the courage to sneak past the chair and go back into the living room. I grabbed the phone and called my boyfriend to come over. While on his way, I kept hearing noises, bangs, doors opening and closing, things falling and so much more. I didn't move out of the living room until he got here.

When he got here he told me to get up and check everything out. I got up and looked in the kitchen. All of the cupboards were open and some of the kitchen drawers were too. All the chairs had been pulled out, and the dining room light was still swinging, all the doors in the hallway were closed, except my bedroom door was slightly cracked open. We opened it up and my closet light was on. My boyfriend stood in front of the closet and opened it up and 5 things fell from the top shelf onto the floor and scared us so bad! After all of that my boyfriend recommended we stay at his house for the night. I agreed and stayed there.

My mom never really believed that these things were happening to my sister and I because nothing ever really seemed to happen to her. Until one day I woke up, and the first thing she said to me was, "If any of these weird paranormal things happen to you or to me... IGNORE them." And then she walked away. I knew then and there that something had FINALLY happened to her, and she believed me now.

Story #13: It was late at night when my mom was asleep again and I was just in the living room on my laptop when I started to hear this very faint humming noise. I was listing to music on my laptop so I muted it and listened closely. It sounded exactly like someone was humming a lullaby coming from the basement. I was so scared. I had a feeling that this humming was coming from a disembodied voice. Too scared, I woke up my mom. She was mad at me and said it was all in my head until I told her to listen. She stopped talking and listened closely and finally she heard it. She got up and told me to come with her.

We turned on the light and slowly made our way downstairs into the basement. We searched with a weapon to make sure that there wasn't some crazy lady or person in our house humming. We couldn't find anything. We turned to head back upstairs when a huge box filled with our old clothes fell from the pile and made us both scream! We both ran upstairs, turned off the light and closed the door and headed back to bed.

These paranormal happenings still happen to this day. Sometimes it happens everyday, and sometimes it happens every few months. But it happens.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Heather111, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Rachelvaknin (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Hello Heather,

My name is Rachel, I work for Raw TV. We are currently working on Series 5 of Paranormal Witness. Your story sounds really interesting and I would love to speak to you regarding your experience. In case you haven't seen the series, Paranormal Witness is a drama-documentary where the story is told from the perspective of multiple eyewitnesses - in their own words. It is now one of the highest rating shows on Syfy. For more information please check out syfy's website: http://www.syfy.com/paranormalwitness/

If interested, please email me at: rachel. Vaknin [at] raw.co.uk

Thanks,

Rachel
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
If you still have the video just post it to YouTube and then post it in comment that's the easiest way. And it's easy to make a YouTube account.
Heather111 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Hi Sam222, There was no way of stopping my sister from playing with the Ouija board considering she told us the stories after she did it all, so there was no knowing she was going to do that with her friends. I do still have the video, but am unsure how to post it to the story? Or how this works. 😜 Thank you for sharing your opinions on what my stories could mean.
-Heather
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
Hello heatherIII, I read your story yesterday, it's very good, I decided Id comment now.
The way you wrote the first part sounds like you didn't participate in the ouija board setion (not sure if that's spelled right), if so, good choice. It's my opinion that you shouldn't have let your sister take an ouija board to a cemetary. That could lead to very bad things. And I think it's very disrespectful to whoevers grave it is that they did this with. You should tell her to have some respect for the deceased, and that that a cemetary is not for communicating with the dead.

Story#3 - perhaps someone was trying to stop you two from communicating. (That's my guess)

Story#6 - at this point in the story I said to myself "this is f----d up", and I'm not sure whether or not to beilive in coincidences like this, but I can't fathom the two dreams being completely coincidental, they are clearly related, I can't say anymore cause this really surprised me.

Story#9 - do you have the video still?

I think that you should get your house cleansed. And that is that.
Thanks for sharing your Experiance. 😊
Heather111 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-16)
Thank you all so much for your useful information! All of it is very helpful. I, myself, would never play with a Ouija board. I know they're basically a portal to Hell and I wish my sister never played with one in the first place... Twice 😐... The spirit/demon or whatever it is in my house is still very active every now and then, and I will try to look more into finding someone to cleanse the house for us before this thing gets stronger and does harm to us. If any body has anymore information on what this might be, or how to get rid of it, please comment! Thank you all so much!
iambec (9 stories) (30 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-16)
Great story! I played your story in my head as if it were a movie. Anyway, a Ouija is definitely not something to be messed around with. Whether I believe in it or not, I would definitely not want to be within an inch of one. Recently, my friend who is a total skeptic of the paranormal, decided to borrow one from somewhere, and show it off to his friends for laughs. They used it in his room, and until now no one can get into his room. He said that it was locked even though he says that the lock never used to work. They tried calling different people to open or break the door down, but they all strongly refused. So his whole family avoids that room until this day.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-12)
Greetings, Heather.

Your sequence of events unfolds rather like the plot of a "Paranormal Activity" movie. That said, I'm going to agree with Hades (that's a creepy-sounding sentence I haven't written before!). This does sound like the manifestation/causal phenomenon is increasing in strength; many accounts suggest that paranormal events generate fear, which is an energy that spirits can use/consume. Honestly, I'm not certain I'm convinced by this theory; however, it seems that causing 3 adult residents to live in a constant state of low-to-moderate anxiety would generate much more fear than one "boo" event. I strongly recommend you look at Rookdgyn's profile page for her cleansing ritual to clear your home; if this stirs up a negative response onslaught (unlikely, but it's possible you may meet resistance), speak with your spiritual advisor (Priest, Rabbi, Shaman) or -if you don't have a particular religion- find one locally who is willing to do a blessing on your home.

Best,
-Biblio.
Hades666 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Thankyou Heather111, for sharing your experiences. I just want say that (I'm sure a lot of people have already said this) ouija boards are never a good idea, they are basically an open invitation for bad spirits or entities. I think the best thing to do is to get the house blessed or cleansed because this spirit/entity sounds like is getting stronger...
Keep safe...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: