You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: A Phantom Cat

Real Ghost Stories

A Phantom Cat

 

I have just had the freakiest experience of my life. I'm staying home alone while my grandmother is visiting another country. I'm 24, so I'm used to being alone by now, so I'm handling this pretty well. At least I was until a few moments ago.

I got up to feed the animals and was preparing the cat's food. While I was doing so, I saw out of my peripheral vision a black cat walking into the kitchen from the hallway. It stared at me a moment before turning and walking into the living room. I own two black cats and since I was preparing cat food, I didn't think anything of it at first. It wasn't until I went to bring the food to the cat that it hit me that yes, I do own two black cats, but they live at my dad's house, not here. The only cat that lives here is a brown tiger cat and she's locked in another part of the house due to my grandmother's cat allergy, so it couldn't have been her. I told you before that I've seen the spirit of my grandmother's deceased cat here, but that definitely wasn't him. Rascal was bright yellow with green eyes and this cat was pitch black with yellow eyes.

I was significantly freaked out, so I quickly went to feed the cat when I heard a loud thump in the living room. I checked what it might be but nothing was out of place. I fed the cat and rushed downstairs to feed the dogs and I made sure I brought one up with me because I didn't feel safe being alone. Normally she gets really excited when she realizes she's going to get to sleep in my room with me, but this time she stopped her run in the hallway and looked down towards the kitchen. I still had all the lights on so I could see if there was something there, but there wasn't.

I had to carry her to my room because she wouldn't budge and she didn't take her eyes off the kitchen. I was too scared to go back and turn off the lights, so they're all still on. I haven't heard any more weird sounds and Sophie went back to normal once I brought her in the room with me.

What has me significantly creeped out is that this cat looked just like my Shadow. I called my sister up, and I don't care how late it was or that it was a school night, and asked her if he was okay because I was freaked out that something might have happened and he was coming to say goodbye. He's fine, which makes it even more unnerving because now I have no idea what I just saw.

I don't think the house is haunted, or at least I hope not, since I've never seen anything here aside from the occasional comforting visit from Rascal. My mom has told me before that we both might be conduits for paranormal activity. We've both certainly seen a lot of it in our lifetimes. I'm wondering if this might be just a one-off occurrence related to this supposed sensitivity.

On another note, a couple days ago, before my grandmother left, she told me that she saw a hawk fly by that part of the house with a black kitten in its talons, so maybe I'm just detecting its spirit.

Other hauntings by Parabol

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Parabol, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Megan_21 (1 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
I'm new to this site. And I know this was written a while ago. But I've been trying to dig up some lore and legends about phantom cats. A few nights ago I felt a cat lay on my feet and I asked my partner who it was... They said none of the cats are there and thought I was going crazy. My partner and I have 5 cats. And every time I've closed them all out I have felt what feels like a cat either playing in my blanket, walking alongside me, or laying at my feet. And last night I felt the cat walking next to me. Indents from the paws on the bed, the fur for the belly/side of cat move down my arm... But when I looked to pet the cat... Nothing was there... No cats where in my room last night. And that SAME night I saw what looked like a black kitten. Roughly the size of a 4 or 5 month old kitten. But it's black with yellow eyes and a white spot on its chest. So you're not alone on this one.
TianaRavenwood (1 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-27)
I'm new to the site so my comment is a bit late. However, every time I see a phantom black cat it's always because mystery and intrigue are about to happen in my life. Around the time of the sighting of your phantom cat, did any mysteries or intrigue surface in your life that you can remember?
Parabol (8 stories) (13 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-28)
It's a bit late but I just noticed your comments now so figured I'd reply anyway.

Fear not, my cat doesn't spend her entire life in the room by herself, at least not anymore. I bring her into my room with me most nights or if I'm in there during the day and we let her roam about freely now while we're fixing her food or if my grandmother is working in that room, which is a lot. We mostly just keep her in there if we can't watch her so we know she's not rubbing herself all over my grandmother's belongings or breaking things by jumping up. It's also a fairly large room so she has a lot of space to roam.

I also asked my grandmother and no, there's no cat that gets into the house. It would be pretty hard for it to even do so since we have the house locked down pretty tight as a necessity for where we live. The only way it could have got in is through the dog door, which is downstairs and would have left it trapped in that room by another sealed door.

My dog's a lhasa apso. She's also not afraid of anything, no matter the species or what size it is compared to her. She's actually jumped at a Belgian shepherd at the vet and tried to get at a horse when we took her for a walk at the park (we had her on a leash both times and the dog and horse weren't actually in danger). I don't think she'd fear a cat.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-13)
Parabol - I just want to backup lady-glow's suggestion to ask your grandma about the cat. Just yesterday my daughter told me there is a stray cat that gets in the attic of a friend's house and makes himself at home. So there is that possibility.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-12)
Parabol: interesting story, I would suggest for you to ask your grandmother if she has seen this cat; it could be a living cat that somehow knows the way to get some free food at your gran's place.
May I ask what breed is the dog you are talking about? - I know of dogs that are afraid of cats, specially after having an encounter with an aggressive and territorial tom. Perhaps she has seen this cat before and knows what to expect from him.

I'm sorry for tiger kitty having to spend his life in a room, if your grandmother ever considers to re-home him I sure would love to adopt him. 😊
Parabol (8 stories) (13 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-12)
[at] Femaelstrom Huh, interesting. I never heard of cats doing that before.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Parabol - I completely understand you calling your sister to check on your cat. I'd have done the same thing, and have (not about an animal though).

For several months now I've been trying to decide if I have a phantom cat or if it's a living residual. These episodes with animals definitely make me stop and think. A lot LOL.

As for the hawk and kitten, wow. Sad 😢 I'd have to wonder if it was the spirit of the kitten since you saw a cat 😕
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Like so many people who have experienced the same occurrence with other folks, I think it was simply a vision of your cat on a different plane. He was probably sleeping, and wondering where his 2-legged parent was, so he decided to check on you.

No need to worry.

Femaelstrom

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: