You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Turned the Lights Out?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Turned the Lights Out?

 

It's 10:40pm, on Monday, October 15. My wife and I have just tended to our daughter who turns three years old in exactly one week. We'd put our daughter down to sleep around 9pm and were watching television when we heard her start crying. Running to her room I opened the door and was met with darkness. I flicked the switch inside the doorway but the light did not go on so I crossed the room to where the lamp stood and flicked the switch there, but still the lamp did not go on. I leaned over, found the night-light in the outlet and turned it on. By its light I could see the plug to the lamp laying on the floor; it had been pulled out of the wall. I plugged the lamp back in and once again the room was filled with light... Just like we'd left it an hour and a half ago.

Our daughter doesn't like to sleep in the dark so not only does she have her night-light, but we've been leaving her lamp on until we go to bed, too.

I picked my daughter up and my wife and I calmed her down and got her back into bed, and then she said those words parents the world over have probably heard many times before, but just written off as their baby having a bad dream.

"I scared. There are people behind the door..."

In light of other things that have happened in our house before tonight, I didn't even need to look at my wife to know exactly what she was thinking.

As I tucked my daughter in I said quite loudly, "Leave the lights alone. You've scared the little girl. She doesn't like the dark. It's not funny so leave the lights alone..."

My daughter looked up at me and I smiled and winked at her, and she smiled back at me. We kissed her goodnight and as we left her room and closed the door I smiled back at her and said once more, "Leave the lights alone..."

Hiding books and small items for days at a time is harmless. Scaring my daughter by turning off the lights is a prank of a different nature, so I hope our co-inhabitants got my message that we didn't appreciate it. I don't know whether they were trying to be helpful by turning out her lights like we would do before we go to bed, or if they were just playing a joke, but we didn't find it very funny and neither did our daughter.

Other hauntings by Kwazimoto

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kwazimoto, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-01)
Hello again Kwazimoto.
I like how you took control and told whatever helpful ghost you have in your house to quit scaring your little one. I do think that it is a helpful being and nothing to worry about.
Thank you for another well written, good tale.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-21)
Hi Kwazimoto! I remember reading your other story and having a chuckle about her book missing. You're right that this time it has gone too far for you in teasing your daughter, but I think your little prankster doesn't know the difference. He/she's just fooling around and trying to get your attention. I think now that you've said enough is enough with the lights in your daughters room, it will stop. Can you please let us know what comes about from this point on? That would be great. Thanks again for the great story!
interesting_plank_measurement (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
see this sounds more like a ghost is actually a person which is good. If they do exist and they were clever then why would they be bad...? Most people arent still... A prank... Sounds a bit patronising...
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am glad to hear there are parents who will put their discomfort and fear behind for their child sake. Good for you!

God Bless!
Rosemary (35 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
I believe your story and now you want to understand what may be happening.
Do you have parents or grandparents in the Spirit World who were staunch displiniarians?
How did they feel about bedtime for children, and discipline and leaving the lights on?
Is it possible some of your relatives in the spirit world are trying to tell you the little girl is trying to control bedtime and whether you want to believe this or not they could be trying to make you remember the way they did things and be trying to influence you to do as they did.
I am not telling you they are right but only trying to tell you what I believe could be happening.
Having said that if this is possible I think you could be having a talk with mother or dad or grandparents in the spirit world and tell them you are happy to know they visit but they shouldn't expect you to do what they want you to do.
Having said that we need to know that sometimes children take over and sometimes even insist on sleeping with one parent or the other and actually kick the other parent out of the bedroom and when this happens the child is in complete control and that may be what a deceased elder may be trying to tell you.
Having said that I hope it helps you to understand what may be happening in your home.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Wow kwazimoto I never read your stpries befor but after this story I understand that you have been living with these guests some time. That is very interesting but on the other hand I would feel very scared. I would listen to shane And try somthing to let the visitors cross over. Has it become more intence or are they just doing something once in a while. Hope to hear from you soon and take care
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Kwazimoto, long time no see. Welcome back. If things start to get too out of control you could always have your home blessed or smudged. I personally use the smudge ceremony as I know it works and works well. But you use what your belief system allows. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: