You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Toilet Humor

Real Ghost Stories

Toilet Humor

 

The following incident went down in April 2012. I was in my second year of university and cramming like crazy for one of the scariest and most difficult exams of the semester.

It must've been 2 pm and I was studying in our department's library in the main building of my college. Our department takes up a corridor on the third floor and consists of some classrooms, cabinets, a library and the restrooms. It is usually pretty desolate with only few people hanging around, usually just waiting for a class to start or perhaps studying.

Anyway at that point I decided I'd had enough for the day and was going to go home. However, I needed to use the ladies' room first. I remember passing three or four people who were sitting at a table in the corridor and were studying quietly. There were three stalls in there, I went in the first one but the doors to the other two were also wide open. I was alone, enjoying the quiet, doing my business, didn't expect this little bathroom visit to be different from any other.

Then I heard it. First I thought it was just the sound of water flowing in the pipes or something and ignored it but as ten, twenty, thirty seconds passed the sound got louder and more distinct. It was laughter, a sort of continuous cackling in a very deep voice. I wanted to think it sounded almost like a villain's ominous laugh from a cartoon and thought someone was just screwing with me, but then the sound suddenly mutated and the only way I can describe it is that the laughter was joined by sounds of dogs howling and pigs grunting. It sounded surreal, not of this world and it echoed off the walls which made it ten times worse to listen to. It was going on for about a minute now, becoming louder and enveloping me more and more and I was just sitting there with my pants down, my terror growing with every second I stayed there. I had a really bad feeling, like something awful was going to happen if I don't get out of there. So I jumped up, yanked up my pants (more or less), I don't remember if I wiped, I don't remember if I flushed, I just bolted straight for the door like my life depended on it.

So there I was standing in the quiet corridor, quite disheveled, my eyes the size of saucers, mildly shaking and very confused. What did I just hear? After a minute or so I composed myself enough to zip my fly, close my jacket and I even managed to gather enough courage to open the door and take a peek inside. There was no one in there and it was dead silent again. No one's phone was ringing in there, no water flowing, no janitor vacuuming, no one laughing in the adjacent men's room (actually no one coming in or out of there in the next ten minutes I spent in the corridor going 'holy cow' over and over). I've thought about it quite a lot ever since but I'm running out of ideas what it could've been.

I actually decided against going home because my roommates weren't due home for hours. I was really too scared to go home and be alone at the time so I just went to a café and chain-smoked to calm myself down. Some classmates of mine came by, I told them about my little incident in the restrooms but they all either shook their heads in disbelief or laughed hysterically. Actually, no one I know seemed to experience anything similar there. And take into account I'd been using that restroom on a weekly basis for the good part of two years by the time this happened, I did not confuse this sound with any familiar sound that one would usually hear in there. One of my roommates, a Psychology student, said I was probably projecting because of the exam-induced stress and was just imagining things but I wasn't feeling especially stressed that day and besides, I know what I heard, it was with my ears, not my brain.

I can finish this story by saying it took me over a week to feel safe sitting on a toilet again and I've never heard the laughter after that one time.

I'm wondering if anyone ever heard anything similar or if you have any ideas what it might've been. Are there any entities known to sound like husky men/pigs/dogs?

Other hauntings by fineandmellow

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fineandmellow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Oh, I don't think it was the toilet flushing itself that caused the noise, but I do think that the pipes could have made the noise. Due to weather changes, temperature changes, aging of pipes, change in water composition, the stuff in that water, etc. The circumstances can be just right to make pipes groan and growl. In fact, just a few weeks ago our piped did that. Only once. And we live in a somewhat newer place. At my parents' house, the pipes would do it a little more frequently, usually when Autumn was turning to Winter. I've heard some pretty darn scary noises from pipes. But mostly because I'm scared they'll explode from the pressure. 😊
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Triskaideka, yes there are indeed restrooms above AND below the third floor one, but in my opinion if you could hear those toilets being flushed, you could hear them on every occasion not just that one time, no? My initial thought after I heard it was pipes, too but then again I've never heard a pipe make a noise like that. And I have to say I prefer hanging out in libraries to restrooms 😆
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
It occurs to me that if the bathrooms were decently ventilated, the howling your heard could have been the wind, and I agree that the grunting and snorting may have been pipes, especially if there is another bathroom above the one you were using.

Even so, that's a pretty creepy experience when all alone in a restroom. I never really liked hanging out in school libraries all by my lonesome. I'd rather be at home. And I don't know why -- maybe this is weird -- but public libraries feel just fine. Only school libraries feel too... Desolate.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
OK, this was a fun read no matter what it was. Sometimes that's the best you have. And the comments were entertaining as h=**. Fun story, nice to have a light hearted one.
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
Hello! First, let me say I really appreciate your comments. There are some points I'd like to make, if I may.
At that point of my life as far as I was concerned my parents had told me ghosts didn't exist and that was that in my mind (except for the occasional event that made me shrug), so I wasn't very preoccupied with the paranormal. It is actually that day after I'd gotten home that I started googling various 'snickering toilets' looking for an explanation that I discovered YGS and started reading about different experiences, completely in awe (and remained an enthusiastic reader, on and off, for the last two years 😊).

Rookdygin: I will admit to dozing off once or twice in stuffy classrooms after two hours of sitting there and being hungover, but I have never in my life spaced out like that while on the go. I'd had my coffee and was looking forward to a nice afternoon after doing some research in the library. As I'm typing this it occurred to me that I was reading up mainly on early Christian art (loads of Marys and baby Jesuses) but I suppose that's a coincidence, right? I never made the connection before.

Lady-glow: I'm no plumber, either 😊 I would actually feel better if I knew for sure it was the plumbing! Of course that would mean that I'd have to live with the shame of being sent running for the hills by a toilet, but hey. I just hope no one tried flushing their chihuahua down the toilet 😆 (as I've mentioned, it did sound a lot like howling) Definitely never heard anything similar since!

Miracles51031: I'm glad you've picked up on that! I didn't mean my story to sound super menacing. As horrified as I was at that moment and as puzzled as I am, still, in hindsight I can only laugh at myself. I think I would definitely put this scene in a comedy rather than a horror movie.
nicky_90 (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
lady-glow: haha no there was NO ONE in the bathroom! And you couldn't hear anything outside
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
Okay, the funniest thing I find about this story is the line about the fly 😆 Could just be my sense of humor; granted, it's warped at the best of times 😉
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
fineandmellow: your description of the sounds makes me think of a possible plumbing problem, I have heard very noisy pipes that even vibrate when the water is running, but not being a plumber makes impossible for me to say what this problem could be; I'm sure it was scary but look for some mundane explanation before assuming it was paranormal.

Nicky_90: "... I heard voices and it sounded like the devil language and it was whispering In tongue..." -Are you sure the voices didn't belong to some immigrants talking in a language you didn't understand? 😜
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Whoops...2pm...my mistake... I still think it was a dozing induced dream.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
College Student...2am...sitting in a very quite space for an unspecified length of time...

Me thinks what you experienced was more of a dream... You may not have realized you dozed off... Had a 'test stress' induced dream and freaked yourself out.

A real experience to be sure... But I'm not so sure you were awake for the whole thing.

Just my two cents.

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Your experience sounds like something out of "The Exorcist." That's not to say it didn't happen. I believe you. It does not sound like a friendly spirit, however, and you did the right thing by fleeing.

Thank you for sharing.
nicky_90 (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
I was in Denver Colorado and I was at a taco bell downtown and I was the only one in the bathroom and I heard voices and it sounded like the devil language and it was whispering In tongue. It scared the life out of me and after that I couldn't go into a bathroom alone the rest of my vacation. So I can relate to you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: