You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Was This Really My Doppleganger?

Real Ghost Stories

Was This Really My Doppleganger?

 

This experience happened quite a while back now, I was about 12 years old and to this day (I am now 17) it still confuses me and leaves me demanding answers.

I was upstairs one night at around 10pm, brushing my teeth, when my dad came upstairs and looked at me in shock. He says to me, "How'd you do that?!" And I had no idea what was going on. I stared at him blankly and asked what he was talking about. "How did you get up here so fast? And so sneakily?" I was honestly so lost and confused. "Dad, I've been upstairs for the past three hours" I said truthfully.

Now my dad always wants to be right, and he wasn't having this. He was defensively yelling, "You were in the kitchen like just as I was coming upstairs, stood with mum!" I laughed nervously and told him to go to bed.

He took me downstairs to prove he wasn't lying and he said to my mum, "Cath, wasn't Laura just in here standing with you?" And of course, she replied yes and then was as confused as my dad was, but they were nowhere near as confused as I was put together.

Basically, my parents had seen me in the kitchen, but I wasn't there physically. My dad then joked that I had become a ghost, and after a few minutes of confusion my parents didn't give it a second thought. But at the age of 12, I was very interested in ghostly things like this. I knew my mum or dad weren't seeing this as they both described the same and they both saw me there.

I couldn't stop thinking about it and the next day as soon as I came home from school I bagged the computer and searched whether it was possible to have ghosts of yourself. I came across a sight telling me about doppelgangers. I read from this sight that if someone you love sees your doppelganger, it means something bad is about to happen, or it is a warning of danger. Sure enough, a few weeks later I was diagnosed with cancer.

Is this really the truth? Or is it just some extremely weird consequence that both my parents happened to imagine the exact same thing, and I would then read something, oblivious at the time, but little did I know how true it really was. When I ask my mum about it now (she really doesn't believe in anything like ghosts) she just shoves it off and says she must have been seeing things. But my parents both saw it.

I would really appreciate some feedback on whether anything like this has happened to anyone else before. Thank you for reading guys.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lolibud, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-03)
PPP, been reading about dualism and related topics lately and not once did I stumble upon Anthony Peake. Thanks so much for mentioning him. Since this morning he's been flavour of the hour and I can't wait to read a couple of his books, two are of particular interest to me. So thank you once again.
As an amusing side note when his picture came up I immediately thought he looked familiar. Don't know what to make of that!

Lolibud, this makes for fascinating reading and could offer you a different perspective on what your parents experienced.
Can you remember, when it happened, if you felt something different at the time your parents were seeing it, before your dad knew you were upstairs? I mean something different in terms of an emotion or instinct?
PPP (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Hi Tweed,
Yes, do look up Anthony Peake.
The crux, as I see it, is that we never actually die- we appear to die to observers but those last few moments actually stretch out to a lifetime from the "dying" person's point of view and he does it all again and again and again- until the life is perfect.

I actually had an encounter in a dream state with someone who seemed to exactly fit his idea of a "daemon"- all-knowing, all-wise and was intimately aware of my every moment. She still had my personality, just not the bad bits:). Could have been my higher self or whatever you wish to call it- soul?- but it sure seemed real- realer than this reality. I was completely aware that I was the me who lives in this world, and kept asking how I could prove that this was real once I woke up. I kept thinking that Anthony Peake was right and that I had to tell him so! I even asked her if I could reach her through hypnosis-no. She told me that "All is love" and "We are all one''. She talked about paths and everything being ok in the end.
Sounds so much like the messages NDE experiencers get and messages from angels and so on (she was a glowing white- cheesy as that sounds).
I suspect there are many different names for this same phenomenon and at the base, they all hint at the ultimate truth of our existence here on earth.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
loibud- Quite interesting story and comments. As Tweed stated, I hope your health has improved.

I have to say these are some of the best descriptions of a doppelganger that I have ever read. Hope that they have helped you some way.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Fascinating story Lolibud.

Firstly sorry to hear about your health scare. Hope you are doing well now.

Curious, if you can remember, or if your parents mentioned, what your double was wearing? Also did it match the clothes you were wearing? Or were these items of clothing you owned or maybe owned in the future? (bizarre possibility)
Btw your dad sounds like mine 😆

HappySpirit and PPP have just blown me away with their unique insightful takes on doppelgangers. (Just jotted 'Anthony Peake' down for further reading as he sounds so interesting.)

Lolibud I get the impression your parents are the kinds of people who really don't want to believe in anything which isn't physical. Well, this can be amusing sometimes. Also get the feeling they must think back to that night and wonder from time to time. 😉
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Lolibud, it could have been your doppelganger or a ghost that looks almost exactly like you. I don't really know much about doppelgangers, but I do find the phenomenon quite interesting. Thanks for sharing your story.
PPP (2 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Hi Lolibud,
Doppelgangers have a long history of being seen as a sign of approaching death. Many famous people reported seeing their own doppelganger shortly before they died. Of course, not everyone who sees their doppelganger dies, but it is interesting.
Anthony Peake believes that each of us is made up of two separate entities and we live the exact same life over and over, with changes made along the way. One of the selves knows everything that is about to happen, but the other does not. The doppelganger is a manifestation of the you that has lived this exact life before and can remember what is about to happen. This 'Daemon' tries to warn the everyday you - the 'eidolon' -of impending danger or death. It was at the point that you saw your doppelganger in one of your previous 'lives' that you actually died- according to his theory. This time, though, you got through it.

That's part of his 'cheating the ferryman' theory. Interesting spin on an old phenomenon.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Oh... It's April 1st! Got it. Joke's on me. Hope everyone is having a happy day. 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Okay, I know this is probably irritating the heck outta y'all, but OMG this one is really funny. HappySpirit, I'm copy/pasting part of your comment because it literally made me laugh out loud.

"Although maybe some scary purple pants are clowns." And, of course, those copy/pasted words have been made into something completely different 😆

By the way, I liked your interpretation of doppelgangers. Have never heard that before.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
OK, something really weird is happening. Either my computer or YGS has a bug. I know what I just typed and it wasn't what appeared. Could the moderators please remove my second post on this story? (and I need to correct something on the first.) Have no idea what is going to show up with this post.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Ha ha! Typo. I didn't mean to type "what we are seeing with clowns" - what we are seeing with ghosts. Although maybe some scary clowns are ghosts.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
I've never heard that seeing someone's doppleganger is a sign of that person's impending misfortune. However, if there's any truth to it, it's possible that a separation between someone and their etheric double, as it is called, can precede an imbalance in their body or mind. In other words, we are usually out of balance in a major way inside - before anything such as illness or accident manifest on the outside, and that imbalance can show up as spontaneous separation of our etheric body from our physical body. The etheric body can on occasion be visible (and, I understand, may be what we are seeing with ghosts) This is all speculation of course, but it makes sense to me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: