You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts Don't Like New Construction

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts Don't Like New Construction

 

Just over 9 months ago, my fiance at the time, and now my wife, purchased a house in upstate NY. approx 50 miles from NYC. We purchased a cape code house with plans of demolishing the whole second floor and turning the house into a colonial.

The house was on the market for about 6 months before we came to contracts and had our closing. When we first went to see the house I remember my wife, the agent, my mother and father in law walking through on a tour. I remember walking into one of the bedrooms that appeared to be previously occupied by a child because you can see some crayon drawings on the door, which at the time was odd because usually the seller would apply a fresh coat of paint over the walls before putting it on the market. It was apparent everywhere else that a fresh coat was applied before it went on the market. I remember being the last one out of that room, when right before I was exiting the room, I heard someone following me, clearly hearing footsteps behind me, but when I turned to hold the door open, no one was there.

That was something I kept to myself because I thought perhaps I was hearing things or just didn't want to believe that it was a ghost. Well we made the purchase and 3 weeks later the roof is coming off and the whole top floor was removed. We started construction soon after the removal adding 3 bedrooms, 1 full bath and an attic with a regular size staircase up to it. The first floor, we turned our garage into our living room and gutted out the bath and kitchen and redid both. The only 2 rooms in the house that we didn't do anything with besides paint and new windows and central air were the 2 existing bedrooms on the first floor.

For 2 months we did not sleep in the house because of the mess and the dust from the construction etc. My father in law, while the house was under construction, would sleep in the (crayon/bedroom) because he was doing the electrical and would get tired and just sleep there. When I would arrive the next morning from sleeping at my parents house, he would say "you know, a few times last night I woke up because it felt like someone was holding my nose and covering my mouth". Then he would say that he would hear footsteps upstairs etc.

Recently my light in the attic is on when I arrive home from work and I leave in the morning after my wife and am the first to arrive home in the evening. I found it on 3 times this week. Yesterday my wife and I were on the couch watching a movie when we heard the water running in the bathtub in the downstairs bath. I went to check and the faucet was off and the tub was dry.

We have a little yorki and sometimes he will jump up for no apparent reason and bark, but what's odd is when he hears someone, he runs to them or to the door etc. Occasionally he'll bark like someone is there, but won't go to it.

I think I should have had the house blessed before we moved in. I think that if in fact there is a child ghost or someone there that he or she isn't bad and aren't going to harm us, because they I would venture to say they would have done so already. I think maybe they thought we were going to demolish the whole entire house which is why they tried to harm my father in law while he was asleep.

I am trying to build up the courage to tell it that he/she is no longer living and needs to go to god, I'm afraid that things will get crazy after that and I don't want to be forced out of this brand new house that we worked so hard for. Sorry this was so lengthy but I wanted to fully explain my situation so that I can be given the proper advice or guided in the right direction.

Thank you

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rocco, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
christbeliever,

This is a topic/debate that comes up now and again here on this site and I must ask this, and I'll tell you in advance, I am a believer...Where/Which Scriptures exactly do you/are you referring to when you say 'according to the Bible?' Please follow this link to answer this question as I do not wish to detract from the O/P's thread here... Thanks in advance...

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=5020

Respectfully,

Rook
christbeliever (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
Hi I am a Christian and I don't want to sound all self rightous, I would just like to give you my advice, accourding to the bible people don't come back after they die. So if something is in that house it sounds like a demon, they will try to trick you and have you believe they are people who used to live there and even look like people who passed on, but they are demons. My advice ask it if it is a person if it knows Jesus the reaction will tell everything. But please only do this if you are a Christian if not that thing could lash out at you and try to go after you
grimreeper (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-02)
Even though it's been 3 years, this is a common problem with home remodels. I have been remodeling and flipping homes for 27 years and I have seen, heard and evicted a lot of entities. I should start charging for the evictions, I could probably retire.
First off please realize whatever it is your dealing with there is a 80% chance it's totally insane, This accounts for all the childish reports. Most insane people are totally harmless and very childish. Also even the worst of entities like to pretend to be children. So please stop with all the worrying about the age, gender, race, name or social status of whatever it is that's bothering you. Get tough, get real and get rid of this Astral Pest.
Try this! If your shy and need to be alone in order to raise your voice than make the necessary arrangements. OK now stand up in your home and with all the conviction and strong voice you can muster say this.
This is my home, not yours, you are not welcome here. If this was your home at one time it is not anymore and I demand you in the name of Jesus Christ to leave here and never return. You are not welcome in my Home not now or ever. In the name of Jesus Christ you must leave now. I demand you in the name of Jesus Christ to leave here now!
It works every time!

You really have to have conviction in your voice and soul.

You can add a few of your own line's of course such as. Your dead now and you belong in heaven, you need to leave here and go to the light, someone will guide you to heaven, But you must leave my home, right now! In the name of Jesus Christ.

Don't give it a day or two.

Usually things will lighten up immediately, sometimes it will lighten gradually over a few day's or week's but it will work.
Francois (220 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-16)
Greetings and salutations,

Hello Rocco, I believe the ghost craves your attention as it did in life with the child's parents. I believe that the entity is afraid to crossover, you may help the child by contacting a medium who may know how to help. Never cleanse or help crossover souls alone. It is a teamwork thing I believe.

I bid you good luck in solving this problem. Thank you for sharing your story. God bless and deus vobiscum.

Sincerely,

Francois
sara (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
Hello Rocco,

I enjoyed your story. I do agree, it probley is because of the constuction. I rember my friend once was reconstructing their home, in the mean time a lot of things started to happen. Their daughter even asked them about the man in their kitchen, when there was no one there, aside from them. It stoped by itself, though that is not in every case.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
Hello Rocco, you know, it is not too late to bless your home. In fact, a lot of people bless their home repeatedly while living in it.
When talking to your Father-in-law, did he say that the holding of the nose and mouth felt angry, malicious, evil? Or did it feel as if a child was trying to wake up an adult? I ask this as sometimes my husband will wake up in the night, saying these same symptoms, but he does not feel threatened at all. Just my curiosity there. I guess I am trying to solve his problem through your story 😉
I think once your ghosts found out that you were not going to destroy their home, they figured they would watch you and check out why you were making the changes. I hear that remodeling projects seem to bring out the most hidden entities as change does not seem to sit well with them.
Bless your home, and yourselves and enjoy your new home. Thank you.
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Let me tell you what my mother did in a similar circumstance. As soon as my parents bought our very first home, my brother was too impatient to wait until we moved in our belongings, so he began spending the night at the house before the rest of us moved in. What my parents already knew, but us kids didn't know at the time, was that the last occupant of the house was an elderly man who had committed suicide in the house. He heard a strange noise in the hallway, like someone was dropping nails into a paper sack. He also heard heavy breathing. He told my mother about it. Soon thereafter, as my mother was in the same hallway unpacking our things, she heard the same noise, but not the breathing. My mother is a tough woman, having seen and heard many strange things in her life. This was her first house and wasn't going to let some strange occurence scare her or her family. With conviction, she spoke up and said "Now listen, whoever you are, stop trying to scare us. This is our house now and we promise to take very good care of it from now on, so you don't need to stay here anymore..." No one in my family ever heard anything strange again after that.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
No doubt, man. My parents renovated a big old Victorian house in the 1990s and it evidently unearthed all sorts of paranormal activity. Whatever you do, if you feel you need to speak to the thing, just be polite and kind, not forceful.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Dear Rocco,

Yes, do have someone come in to do a house cleansing and blessing, as well as to help the ghost child cross over to the other side.

Ghostly children though dead act like any playful children who are alive. It does not seem to me the ghostly child meant to hurt your father-in-law, but to get his attention. Perhaps, he was snoring and it was annoying. Sleep Apnea could also be a medical explanation.

Please let us know, after a time what happens after you have had the home cleansed and blessed. As it would be appreciated to hear if your ghostly child has left for good and if all is well. It also gives readers feedback on what worked for you and what did not. Thanks, Abby
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Thanks, Rocco, for your reply. I'm really interested in what goes on now. I thought your story was great. I'd love it if you'd keep us informed. Thanks so much.
Rocco (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
thank you all for your comments and meaningful replies. I still haven't had the house blessed or anything but yesterday my 10 year old son said that some stuff in his room was moved around(games etc.). This afternoon I went home for lunch, standing in the (old crayon bedroom) I said in a stern voice "i know your here I recognize that your trying to get our attention but we need you to crossover to god and be with your family and friends. You are dead and need to leave now..." I was proud that I finally built up the courage to do that but I think it needed to be done before it gets out of control. Ill keep you posted...
Ambu (6 stories) (5 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Hi rocco. I know am only a kid so you probably might think that I'm saying anything. But I've been through the same thing. I heard laughing and now I even see it- it's a girl. Maybe the child died there and seeing new people he got scared. Perhaps if you get to know him/her things will be alright. If not get your house blessed.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
No, ghosts do not like reconstruction of the place that they reside in. They like things to be left exactly the way they know it to be. I have to agree with the others that it sounds like a child. Or maybe we assume that because of the crayon drawings on the door. Have you seen or heard the child? Well, they do sound pretty harmless but I'm sure they would be much happier if they could cross over to a better place. Good story! 😊Shelby
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
It certainy sounds as if you have activity from a young spirit. It could be that they are frightened to cross over. Tell them it is okay to cross over, they will have love and friends and family. God will take care of them and they will be happy and at peace.

I don't think any harm was meant by the occurances, it sounds as if play time was happening.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

God Bless!
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Rocco, Did you paint the crayon colored door? If so, has the crayon coloring come back? It does sound like you have a child's spirit residing with you. It also seems that he/she wants to play with you. I wonder if you left some toys out, it would appease him/her. I'd give it a try, just to see what happens.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Hi Rocco. I think you have a child ghost in your house. Remember it is never to late to get your house blessed. It sure might help. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
1michelle (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Spooky. I would definitely hire a good psychic/healer who can help. Sometimes if you don't know what your doing, it can make it worse. NYC has plenty of healers try that, and keep safe. 😕
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Hi Rocco, I think you have the right idea of just asking the spirit to move on. S/he sounds lonely and is trying to get your attention. Maybe you could look up the history of the house or even find what you can about the land. That might shed some light on things. I'm glad you don't feel threatened in your new house, sounds like you've done a lot of work! Thanks for sharing your story!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Rocco, sounds to me as if you have the trapped spirit of a young child in your home. I know my daughter when I was taking a nap would sometimes come up and pinch my nose and cup her hand over my mouth just to wake me as she thought this was funny, could be the same with this ghost. That or maybe your father in law snored too loud and the ghost wanted some peace and quite. 😆 I would have the home blessed or smudged depending on your beliefs and what they allow to help this child to cross over where they need to be. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
ritasilvera (6 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
Ghosts Don't Like New Construction (Reply) The fact that the ghost is still there is because they are not willig to accept the fact that its no more their house or they just don't wana let go of the house but they don't seem harmless that does not mean we take it lightly. Take me on this seriously get the house blesed before you move in it is always concidered good to do so. Personal I feel you need to affix a crusifix in each bedrom and try consult the entity that they need to be less active or leave.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: