You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: Something I Experienced A While Ago

Real Ghost Stories

Something I Experienced A While Ago

 

So when I was about 8 or 9 years old I lived with my grandparents, my dad, and my sisters in a small house in California. My grandma loved sofa-beds, and she would replace the one she had every year or so. She would never really let me or my sisters sleep on it, it was exclusively for her or my baby brother. One night she let me, and I was pretty happy about it.

So just to get some things straight, from where I was laying on the bed in the living room you could see the door to my grandparents room, but not into the kitchen or the garage door. I woke up at around 3 in the morning, which was actually when weird things would start to happen in the house. My dad and my sisters were sleeping in the two rooms at the other end of the house, and my grandma had already gone to work (she was a nurse and had the really early shifts). Just a side-note, my grandpa always drove her to work.

So I'm laying there, and it's really quiet. Out of nowhere I start hearing this banging noise, like someone was in the kitchen slamming the cabinet doors as hard as they could. I couldn't see into the kitchen, so I didn't know if someone or something was in there. It was so fast and loud, I was confused as to why no one else seemed to awake to it since it was a really small house. My baby brother didn't even stir beside me. Terrified, I hid under my blankets. I don't know how long the noise went on for, but it felt like forever. Even when it stopped, I lay as still as possible. If it had been a person, I would have heard them walking because the floors were old and wooden and creaked with every step. The house was dead silent. Eventually I mustered the courage to get up and bolt to where my dad and sisters were.

Years later I told my oldest sister (let's just call her Chloe) about it, and apparently she says a shadowy figure has been following her since she was a kid, but it wasn't evil and never harmed her (actually, she says it was what helped her through difficult times). Even my dad saw it, chasing the shadow into the garage thinking it was an intruder. My other sister saw it too late one night, when she was getting some water, but she says it just stood there by the garage door, watching her, until finally vanishing after she started babbling random things for a while because she was scared.

I've made the connection that what I heard wasn't cabinet doors slamming, but the garage door.

Chloe says she hasn't seen the figure since she demanded it to leave a few years ago, but she tells me that what happened to me couldn't have been what followed her, it was too out of character. Sometimes I wonder what I heard, was it just my overactive imagination, or something else? And why did everything seem to revolve around that garage? Thinking or talking about it makes me teary eyed, but I find that strange as to the fact what happened wasn't exactly harmful or too spectacular compared to what other people have experienced.

I haven't experienced anything weird since then.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Qu33n_of_Shadow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

gstories (4 stories) (22 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Maybe the people who lived in that house before your grandparents did my be someone died in or near the garage? Or maybe a family member of your grandparents or a friend of theirs did?
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Do you prefer Qu33n or Shadow? 😁

Did your sister send the shadowy figure away after you heard this? Do you think this figure could have been keeping something else away from you, protecting you? Have there been no more experiences, even in the garage? Just thoughts? Thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
Hecate
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Hi Qu33n, thanks for sharing this.

I'm quite intrigued by you feeling teary eyed thinking about it. Do you think this is your own inner memories of being scared that night? Or does it feel more 'external', like not your own emotions?
It is very odd that no one else stirred in the house that night. I guess you've wondered if it was a dream. But there's something about this that just doesn't feel like a dream. I look forward to your responses.

Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: