You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Demonic Voices In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

Demonic Voices In The Night

 

My Wife and I have run a pet care business for fifteen years. One of the many services we provide is caring for customers' pets in their homes while they are away. On average we spend half of each month at various houses, often together, sometimes apart if there are multiple house sittings. Through all the years and dozens of houses I have stayed at, I have only had the rare and vague paranormal sensation at any particular customers home with one somewhat alarming exception. Julie and I were watching a basset hound named Emmie in a house I had stayed at over a dozen times covering a ten year period. This went back to when the homeowners had a previous basset named Tubby (who was a great old fellow).

It was the second or third night of a week long house sitting and was a Saturday (these incidents took place around five years ago). The house was built in the ranch style in the 1940s. Although like most ranch houses the main living area was contained on one floor, this house did have a large finished basement. The house had been updated over the years and had a very "contemporary" feel. On this Saturday, Julie and I were in the den at one end of the house. I thought I would take a nap (nice when I can find the time to take one) in the bedroom which was down a long hallway that ran the width of the house at the other end. As it was daytime, the light on the nightstand next to the bed happened to be on. It was an older lamp and one really needed to put a bit of effort with the switch under the lampshade. It made a loud click when shut on or off. I was just about to doze off when I heard a loud "click" and quickly realized that the lamp had been shut off. As I stated, it was a well made older lamp and the switch took an effort to turn on or off.

Although I recognized this as unusual, and likely paranormal, I resumed my nap after walking down the hall to tell Julie of the incident. She was reading a book and hadn't left the room. It struck me later that the spirit might have been admonishing me for wasting electricity! It was that night that the "main event" occurred. Julie and I had gone to bed around 11:30 and at around three in the morning I woke up (I usually wake up several times during the night) to suddenly realize that there were two distinct voices talking, as if in deep conversation, at the end corner of my side of the bed. The voices were like nothing I have ever heard before or since. They didn't sound human and they seemed to be speaking a language I have never heard. I half sat up, completely transfixed by the sounds, and the voices continued clear and strong. They sounded, for lack of a better description, like what I imagine trolls would sound like. Slightly guttural voices that (to give you an idea of timbre and pitch) reminded me of the voice of the little kid in the film The Shining when he starts repeating the backwards word "redrum".

It seemed as if they were in heated discussion about me. The voices sounded as if they were disputing something very important to them. I turned on the light then and didn't see anything but the voices briefly remained, slowly fading away like someone turning down the volume on a radio.

Does anyone have any theory as to who or what these nocturnal visitors may have been? Initially I thought it was a ghostly visitation but as the voices sounded completely bizarre and inhuman I wonder if it was something else. The couple who owned the house subsequently retired and moved to Florida. I haven't been in the house in just over a year. I felt compelled to ask them if they ever experienced anything remotely like it but as they were customers and about as conservative as conceivable I decided not to. As I stated earlier, I had never experienced anything remotely paranormal in the house before and didn't stay in the house again as the health of the couple declined and kept them from going on vacation. It remains a somewhat baffling and unsettling occurrence.

Other hauntings by Manafon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Manafon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
Yes! The ticking you heard! There seems to be something distinctly 'other' about paranormal sounds. Either abnormally quiet or abnormally loud, never 'perfect' πŸ˜†
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
Tweed--I really dig your thought that the voices we have been discussing are a blending of physical world/spiritual realm acoustics. Even the strange, otherworldly ticking I heard in conjunction with a visit from my mom's spirit had a quality unlike any I have ever heard. Both incredibly detailed yet fluctuating in volume and clarity in such a way that it came across as definitely from another realm.

The nature spirit that pops in on you and your husband sounds like a trip--the harlequin look must have added a bit of an extra "woah" to your surprise!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
lol Miracles I'm sure they *were* reading!

Manafon, I've only heard the voice twice and both times from a distance. It sounds high pitched but with the mids and lows turned up. It always says something well mannered and friendly in a cheerful tone. The first time I heard it speak it said something to my in-laws dogs who we were caring for while they were away. This first time it spoke outside, while I was inside. Although it was outside, I still got a sense of how the voice carried.
The second time I heard it I was in bed, sleeping in, husband was in the lounge on the computer. It spoke to him in the lounge and woke me up in the process. I don't think it was so loud that it woke me from that distance. But the tone of voice alarmed me wide awake because it's so unnatural/unique. Now that I type this, I'm thinking it's the frequencies which carry, not the actual voice itself. Hope that makes sense.

In terms of whether it's a nature spirit or not, we just don't know. It's only active on this block, never anywhere else. When it spoke to the dogs they wagged their tails. We can only make assumptions as to what it is. It looks a bit like a harlequin clown, to confuse matters more lol. I've only seen the face, and a partial 'flash' of a leg once. Husband sees it more than I do.

What you guys describe as a loud whisper. I've heard this a few times with the dancer. Kind of 'in your ear loud' but soft like a whisper or low speaking volume. Maybe if a sound isn't 'produced' from the physical realm it doesn't behave in the same way; loud whispers, odd frequencies, hearing from covered or deaf ears lol. Maybe what we hear is a merging of their spirit realm acoustics, with our physical realm acoustics. Resulting in a sound mixed from both atmospheres.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Tweed--It's wild that your husband has a disembodied voice speak to him every once in awhile. The way you describe the sound as like that emanating from a speaker really gives one a sense of what you both experienced. You write that you believe the voice that focuses on him is possibly a nature spirit. What does it sound like? Is it similar to the guttural, deep voices I heard in my earlier account?

Whatever it was that my wife and I heard early this morning, I have to emphasize that it sounded like a person right there with us. Much like what you describe when your husband's disembodied friend speaks, the voice we heard did have an odd muffled quality to it. I imagine that is why my wife and I couldn't make out exactly what it said. It was like a loud whisper.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Okay, just finished reading your comment, Tweed, and thought I'd share this. In different homes but in each I had someone standing behind me while I was on the computer. Definitely not one of the kids. It was almost as if they were reading what I was typing πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Tweed - πŸ˜‰ right ear, not left LOL But mine isn't hearing loss or anything like that. Just excruciating pain if I lay on it, or my ear touches anything. Apparently it's genetic πŸ˜•
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Wow you guys!

Miracles, what you said in your journal entry about it being your left ear is very interesting. I've met a few people over the years with the same 'defective' ear thing and everyone has it in their left ear. I'm yet to meet someone who has it in their right ear. I don't know if there's something important in this detail but it's interesting to say the least!

I can't remember what this ear abnormality is called. I'll have to ask my parents for the exact name, it's never been something I've given much thought to. Except when a ghost says something in it, or I hold a tuning folk to it for giggles. πŸ˜†
Out of interest, there's a 'tube' within the ear which is supposed to run in a particular direction. This 'tube' runs in another direction in my defective ear and blocks out the majority of outside sound.
(All that from memory as a 12 year old in the ear/nose/throat clinic. So not very informed!)

Manafon, my husband has a ghost that speaks to him sometimes. This ghost talks out loud, so to speak, and we both hear it if we're both there. IT SCARES THE BEJESUS OUT OF ME because it's always so unexpected. He's used to it, somewhat, but not me GOD. It doesn't happen very often, say once a year. What's interesting is that we've never seen this ghost and heard him at the same time. When we talked about this we realised that we'd both never 'seen' any ghost while it 'spoke'. Except in visitation dreams, astral experiences. But never in the physical realm. Maybe doing both, sound and visual, is just way too energy consuming, don't know.
This ghost that talks to my husband sounds like it's in the room, but still in the ear, it's hard to describe. It's voice doesn't behave like it should in the environment. It carries like it's coming from a speaker, mid to far field. Yet at the same time it has that 'in your ear' quality to it as well. He also gets the impression he's hearing one side of a conversation sometimes with this thing. It only ever says a couple sentences max. We don't know what it is, it looks like some kind of nature spirit and we can't tell if it's male or female. πŸ˜•

Yes! I truly feel ghosts eavesdrop and say 'cool' to themselves when we let it be known we're 'open' to them. I sometimes feel self conscious leaving YGS open. I've taken to displaying something else on the screen when I'm not at the computer. Lest any nosey ghosts get any ideas. πŸ˜† Ok, maybe that's extreme but still!

There's a story The Dancer of mine. I don't think I mentioned her ear communication in it though.
Another story Bumping Into An Old Friend is about my guardian. Again I don't think I went into much detail about the ear thing in that either. He only did the ear thing when I was really young, doesn't do it anymore.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Tweed--I think you are really onto something about thinking this spirit thought my wife and I would be receptive to hearing it. I am reading a great old case study book on apparitions and it provides a lot of evening conversation. I imagine this spirit might have thought, "how great!", and surprised us last night. Julie and I have been talking about this occurrence quite a bit since then.

Julie was quite freaked out (so was I) and we wondered if it was only part of a possible manifestation but the voice was all there was. Your discussion of your "defective" ear was truly interesting and you seem to be onto something concerning why an ear on or next to a pillow would be chosen by a spirit. Do you have any stories concerning your guardian or the dancer? I would like to know more!

We don't know if the couple who live in the house have any interest in the paranormal but I am not missing an opportunity to ask them if they have had any unexplained occurrences in their house as I sadly failed to do with the couple in whose house I heard the little nature spirits several years ago. As interesting as Julie and I found this voice, it did really interrupt our sleep. However, if it does speak again I hope I catch what it says. It will probably say something as baffling as Miracles heard. Something like, "I think I'm right", or part of another one sided conversation. It's really a fascinating new experience that I can't stop thinking of today.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Tweed - your comment had me doing some thinking. I sleep on my left side, problems with right ear, and I believe both of the times I heard him was when I was laying on my side with my left ear on my pillow.

These entries are from my Journal:

6/23 About an hour ago I was laying in bed thinking about next year's tax season. I was thinking, "At least I'll be getting my taxes done for" and as the word free was crossing my mind, I heard and felt in my left ear a male voice say, "Already doing that." I have no blessed idea what that meant considering it is not tax season, and I am not working for H&R Block right now. Just found that odd.

I realized after posting this that I was also asking for guidance in a new job I'm interviewing for tomorrow. "Please help me to know if this is the right decision" and "Give me some guidance on whether or not I am making a mistake". These thoughts are what lead to the tax thought. I had asked. In hindsight (what good is hindsight anyway unsure emoticon) maybe that comment was in response to my other questions and not taxes.

6/29 Last night I heard and felt that vibration sound and voice-type sound under my ear again. This time the sound I heard was male. I even lifted my pillows to make sure there was nothing under them that could make either sound.

While posting my first comment to Manafon, I realized I made a mistake in my Journal. Both voices were male, no female voice as I insinuated on the 6/29 entry.

Maybe there is a correlation between the pillow, ear and voice πŸ˜•
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Hey Manafon, holy moly how unexpected!

I've read some stories on here with people hearing a voice, whilst in bed, speaking in the ear closest to the pillow. I don't remember the name of this story. But one lady was watching TV on her bed, on her side, when a voice said something in the ear which was pressed against the pillow. You would think that, in this instance, the ghost was able to speak to them alone through some kind of telepathy. But in your case you both heard it, that's super cool! I've always wondered with these voice in ear moments if others would hear it too.😊
When I was super young my guardian used to talk to me as if he was right up to my ear. But I don't remember that much about it.
As an adult this voice thing happens to me very rarely with a ghost I think of as the dancer. Mostly happens during the day, not when I'm in bed. The weird thing is she does it in my deaf ear. I was born with a defect in my left ear. It's not technically deaf, but the outside world is very faint through my left ear. Yet I can hear things on the 'inside' with this ear. If I put a tuning fork behind the left ear, or anywhere near, I can hear it 'inside'. Doing this is way weird because I'm so used to not hearing from my left ear. But this is what it's like when the dancer speaks to me, that same 'inner loud' sound. When I read stories about people hearing ghosts through their pillows as it were lol, it reminds me of my ear thing.
Having a pillow pressed against your ear creates that inner sound sensation, so I wonder if there's a link. Maybe ghosts' voices are easily transmitted in this way? Who knows, something I think about a fair bit.

Never shared a bed with a third, would probably crap myself! Do you know if the people who live there are open to ghost stuff? Just an amusing thought, since you're staying at someone's home, if you guys were talking about paranormal stuff within earshot of this ghost. Maybe she thought 'oh cool, someone to talk to!' πŸ˜†
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Miracles--Thanks for sharing your similar experiences! The bit of conversation you heard in the first instance makes me wonder if every once in awhile we overhear bits (or in your case one side) of ghostly conversations from the daily lives (or maybe more appropriately after-lives 😊) of spirits.

As far as keeping a journal, the only time I actively did that was when I lived in a particularly haunted apartment. I think I will again concerning recent events like the disembodied voice. It's a great idea. I still have three nights at the house it occurred at, so maybe I will hear more. My wife and I plan on telling the owners of the townhouse exactly what happened. I will let YGS know if they have had anything similar occur.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
Manafon - yes, I've had that happen twice recently. Well, recently being in June LOL Both times the voice was male and it felt like his voice vibrated. The first time he said, "Already doing that." Second time I couldn't make out what he said.

I've read your stories and tried to keep up with all comments, but can't remember if you and your wife keep a journal of these activities. If not, I highly recommend it.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-29)
I had a paranormal experience last night and thought I would post it on a story of mine. As in the account this comment appears on, the incident was one of a disembodied voice in the night. Unlike the earlier occurrence this was a single and human sounding voice.

I should state that, as in the earlier incident, my wife and I have been house sitting. This time with a crippled dog named Buddy for the last week and a half. The house is actually a new construction townhouse built about four years ago. The house is quite large with three full floors and four bedrooms. The room we are staying in is located in the basement. At 12:30 this morning we were both briefly awake. I asked my wife the time and after she answered I turned on to my right side. Meanwhile my wife was arranging her pillow and had raised her head and at that exact second we both clearly heard a female voice, as if right between us (Julie said to her it sounded like it was speaking in her ear closest to the pillow) imparting four words very conversationally and clearly.

As we didn't understand what had been said and both assumed it was the other person we asked, "what did you say", only to realize it wasn't one of us! Julie thought, initially, that it sounded like a child but I heard it as an adult female voice. Now I have heard the odd sound in the house and just two days ago was positive Julie was walking around upstairs but I was there alone. The property has about twenty new construction townhouses on it and if the surrounding neighborhood is any indication, probably had at least two houses on large lots before it was built. There was nothing menacing about the voice-as I stated it was very matter of fact sounding. I just wish I knew what it said! It's the first full ghostly voice I have ever heard. I believe the earlier incident involved non-human entities. Has anyone else ever shared a bed with a third that speaks but cannot be seen πŸ˜•.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Oh, Tweed, Thank You! As usual - both for the great run about techno-culture but also your humor. Lets me laugh as I add my 1 cent - we do not allow Wikipedia as a legitimate paper citation on papers for classes...

Hecate

P.s. I am still chuckling visualizing you proudly sticking your finger up... I think I know which one πŸ˜‰
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Tweed--You make a great point, that Wikipedia has its place but not as "the all knowing brain at the center of the universe"! As a rule of thumb, when you see a "citation needed" at the end of every other sentence, you can be pretty sure that wikepedia entry is full of errors. It's always a good idea to check how extensive the references are and to use lots of other sources besides the "the smart kid on the block" aka wikepedia 😁
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Manafon, Biblio, Hecate, Triska, Miracles and whoever else (!) I proudly stick my finger up at anyone who rolls their eyes at my distrust of Wikipedia. I love the concept of Wikipedia, it has great relevance, I'm glad it exists. I just don't use it as a sole reference point. I don't mean to come across all harsh and cynical to the majority of people who love Wikipedia. With that said, it's disturbing how many credit anything they read on Wikipedia as 100% truth. I feel it's become a normalised emotional crutch for many: "Oh yeah, Wikipedia, that's that website I visit on my 'smart'phone sometimes".
People associate knowledge with devices with a sense of novelty which dwindles.
Blah blah blah, consumer driven society, blah blah blah, supply and demand, blah blah blah I could go on all day. Humans are fickle, it's annoying.
The same can be said about film remakes. πŸ˜‰
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Biblio--I agree about encyclopedias and never rely on them when writing an article for instance (I have written a few for various publications) but in the case of the film The Entity, wikepedia had a solid reference (Michael Doyle, "The Devils Plaything", Rue Morgue no. 124 July 2012, p.16-22 and Michael Doyle, "Home Is Where The Hell Is", Rue Morgue no. 124 July 2012, p. 20-21).

It is very true that wikepedia gets a lot of "facts" wrong and I have come across many. Someone actually did their homework when writing about The Entity though!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Oops!
Line 1 was for Triska; everything else was for Manafon!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Triska: thanks again! I seldom check Wikipedia; call it a researcher's distrust of anything edited by the general public, and of encyclopedias in general. Because they are general-knowlege repositories, I tell my students that encyclopedias are sources for learning how to ask better questions about the topic. I guess I overlooked the obvious, this time!
-Biblio.
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Bibliothecarius--Checking good old Wikipedia it states that in a recent interview (in Rue Morgue magazine, July 2012) with The Entity's director Sidney J. Furie he, " confessed that he intentionally avoided researching the actual case upon which The Entity is based upon as he, 'did not want to judge the characters and story in any way.' Neither he nor actress Barbara Hershey met with Doris Bither, the real life Carla Moran, either prior, during or after the shooting of the film was completed in 1981."

So as usual Hollywood took the seed of the actual events and created something else altogether. As to the remake that is presently being remade, I agree with you Biblio----WHY?!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Triskaideka:
Thanks for the rec., I just ordered a copy.

Everyone:
In so far as applying Lab Conditions to paranormal events, wasn't the Barbara Hershey 1982 film "The Entity" based on actual events? Though looking at the IMDB, it is apparently being remade. (why?)

-Biblio.
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Tweed--now that would be a fun script idea for a new horror movie. Scientist tries to conjur Zozo and, in the clinical setting, nothing happens. Then things start happening to him/her in their daily life that can't be explained. Of course the over the top CGI effect laden finale would have the once close minded scientist admitting, "There is more in heaven and earth..." πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
I have nothing to offer to this topic of discussion, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments 😊
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Triskaideka, nice call on the book recommendation. I had not heard of that. I'll be picking that one up soon. Isn't this site awesome?!? πŸ˜†
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Tweed, thanks for that image. I appreciate the great laugh this morning! 😁 I have so many people I could put in that room. I would not wish the ill on them they could inadvertently call upon themselves, though.

Lynn McTaggart, in The Field, The Intention Experiment and The Bond does a great job of sifting through what gets published by some of the brave souls who actually commit their scientific careers to studying this. She was in the second of the What the Bleep Do We Know movies, Down the Rabbit Hole.

We've been playing tag through the stories.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
After reading through comments, I want to recommend a book to many linguaphiles here: The Alphabet vs The Goddess. It covers how language influences thought and vice-versa. You'd all probably really like it. 😊
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Maybe closed minded scientist should test for Zozo on a Ouija board. They'd get the predictable clinical results required for scientific proof. They can then analyze under controlled conditions how things go haywire. πŸ˜‰
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Hecate0--That is another intriguing possibility. That the entities could "feed off" the started or excited response of the people who suddenly become aware they (the entities) are there.

I agree the small segment of the population who are willing to discuss their psychic abilities (especially in a scientific manner) is very small. Even smaller is the possibility of having an apparition (for example) appear under strict scientific scrutiny in a clinical setting!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Sorry Manafon, I still cannot type your name correctly. Stanford University has a center studying alternative medicine. And the University of Arizona has a group studying consciousness, which gets pretty alternative at times. I still do not talk about these things at work. I collect data enough to know that the proportion of the population having any kind of overt psychic ability they will discuss is small.

Hecate
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
So very true Tweed. After a hundred and thirty years (or so) of serious and scientific research into paranormal events (thanks to trailblazing groups like The Society of Psychical Research in England) and places like the University of Durham, North Carolina offering classes in parapsychology, it is still considered a fringe area of study.

The scientific method which insists on the replication of paranormal occurrences has certainly hindered the wider scientific community taking parapsychology (and related areas of study) seriously. Still, it is great to find a community like YGS that knows there is more to reality than is found in a laboratory or mainstream scientific theory.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: