You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: An Invisible Clock Ticking

Real Ghost Stories

An Invisible Clock Ticking

 

I am 47 and have had numerous paranormal experiences throughout my life. Some very odd, others quite intense. In recent years I would say my paranormal experiences have been much more sporadic, sometimes months or even years apart. Just this last Saturday night (November 22nd 2014) I had an experience that was completely new to me.

I should start by stating that I live in a condo that was bult in the late 1980s and my wife was out of town for the weekend. It was around eleven PM and I was just exiting my darkened bedroom trying to locate one of my cats who I found sleeping on the bed. Just as I turned to leave the room there was suddenly a clear ticking sound, like that of an old fashioned wall clock. It was distinct and began to quickly increase in volume. I wasn't alarmed, more surprised as it took me a moment to remember there is no such clock in that room (and only one modern and very quiet wall clock in my living room). The sound was coming from my right towards a corner of my room where there is a walk in closet. Walking over to this door the sound stopped. I opened the door and reached in to turn on the light.

Instantly I felt the air was charged with electricity but it was also unusually cold. Once the light was on I felt the sensation of a presence right there with me. There was an intense emotional reacion that seemed to grip me. I felt tears in my eyes and a feeling of adrenaline that sometimes comes when experiencing something unknown. The central feeling was one of very intense and focused emotion, as if a spirit was imparting this directly into my consciousness. My mother died nearly seven years ago and I felt that this presence was hers. I spoke out, "I think this is you Mom, thank you for visting me", or words to that effect, and the feeling and the charged atmosphere slowly dissipated.

Having thought about this for a couple of days I believe the clock ticking was used to get my attention instead of a voice because a voice in a darkened room might have been considered too alarming by the spirit. Earlier in the evening I had come across an old family photo, probably taken in 1975 and I had placed it in front of a framed photo of my now deceased Mom and Dad in a photo taken in 2002 or so. In the photo my Mom is holding my sister's infant son Robert. Maybe the ticking was also a way of expressing the passage of time from the old family photo to my Mom holding her grandson.

I have to say this experience has given me a great inner peace. It has also validated in my mind an experience I had a few months after my Mother's death where she came to me in a dream that was clearly (to me) not a normal dream. The dream was immensely vivid and I could sense touch and also my Mom as we hugged. It was her coming to say farewell. This clock experience really suggests to me that my Mom does check in on me once in awhile.

I know others have written about phantom clocks ticking on this site and I am curious if anyone else has had this occur with specifics that are similar to mine? The ticking itself lasted no more than ten seconds, I have never heard anything remotely like it in my condo before (or so far since). There are no rodents in the building, it isn't water pipes, settling or anything like that. It remains a curious and, for me, very moving experience.

Other hauntings by Manafon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Manafon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-29)
Hi Adgtay--You definitely seem to have experienced exactly what I did in this account. I have since heard a ticking seemingly floating through the air another seven or eight times, but not as intense as what I describe here.

It's interesting that you were unable to record the ticking you heard. A man from New Zealand who read my account was able to. He sent me the recording, which was very similar to what I heard. I'm curious to know how often you have heard the ticking in your house and if others have heard it too? Thanks for commenting. It's really interesting to hear from others who have experienced this phenomenon.
Adgtay (1 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-28)
Great story! The ticking noises in particular were prominent in my family house. The weird thing about the noise is that it seems to materialise in mid-air, increase in intensity and actually change direction when you turn your head-basically it would move around the room.
I actually tried to record the sound with a microphone once but of course nothing came out on the tape.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Tweed--Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to ask my brother if he had anything odd happen to him yesterday but he's been incommunicado for a few days.

Funny you should should mention his non-believer status, as just last week he suddenly barraged me with questions on my recent "ticking" incidents. He has grudgingly come around to being a bit open minded about the possibility of the paranormal. However, he said that for every fifty unexplained incidents I experience he has one. I'm just happy he isn't completely dismissive of the paranormal anymore. It's kind of a big deal because he's always been a major skeptic.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Wow, that's really something! Happy birthday!

What an awesome moment, I think Melda's spot on.

Aren't you the twin of a nonbeliever? I wonder if, well I just wonder!

I had to laugh at you realising it was your bday. It's really hard to keep track of the days lately. Those on the other side never seem to have trouble with what's important. There's something eternally humbling in that.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Melda--Your message touched me--"That way there would be no mistaking who your well-wishers of the day would be." That's exactly what I felt when it happened. Tried to upvote you but was instructed to vote for someone else so I give you one from the heart.

VeronicaMarie--Thank you for your sincere and kind comment.

Lady-glow--Love is indeed eternal!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Manafon - Belated birthday wishes from me.

How fortunate you were to have that very special moment. It almost seems as though your parents were waiting in the wings, so to speak, for you to acknowledge them before they made their presence known. That way, there would be no mistaking who your first well-wishers of the day were.

A lovely, touching experience.

Regards, Melda
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Happy Birthday, Manafon! And what a wonderful birthday present. Wow, I am bowled over by the fact that the sound came exactly where you'd been standing, thanking your parents. I'm actually sort of stunned into silence, and that doesn't happen very often with me. 😊 Thank you so much for sharing that.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Happy birthday!

It's so wonderful that your parents came to visit, definitely, love is eternal.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+9
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
Hi all on YGS--I just quickly wanted to add an addendum to this account of mine. Just last night, around two in the morning as I was getting ready to turn in, I realized it was my birthday, so I said a quick "thanks for everything" to a photo of my mom and dad on a buffet just to the right of my kitchen. They are now both deceased but as the account this comment is attached to shows, they do make contact from time to time. At any rate, just as I turned back to the kitchen, there came a series of loud rappings from within the buffet.

I then felt an undeniable presence in the room. It wasn't as intense as the feeling I describe in the above account but was very strong. I then realized it was my parents acknowledging the significance of the day. It was also the first time in quite awhile that a visitation from my mom was accomplished through sounds other than ticking. It was a great present!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Rex--Great to hear from you. Yeah, this recent clock-like ticking sounded like an alarm clock but the first time I heard it at home it sounded like an old fashioned wall clock.

The speed of the ticking seemed to subtly speed up and slow down. In this recent instance, as it faded it slowed, almost sounding like it was running out of power. Which makes sense if it was a paranormal transmission (for lack of a better term).

What's really interesting to me is that prior to hearing it myself, I had read two well documented case studies describing the sound of paranormal ticking compiled by the Society of Psychical Research and was stunned when several months later I heard it myself. I actually had a guy from New Zealand, who had read my account from four years ago, contact me as he had heard the same ticking multiple times. He had managed to record it and sent me the recording. It's exactly like what I heard the first time--something like and old fashioned wall clock, slightly speeding up and slowing down. I still have that recording.

Mrs. Manafon has never heard it. Maybe she will at some point. Thanks for your thoughts.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Manafon,

Correction. I missed the part in your later comment about sounding like an alarm clock. I'll plead the excuse that its one o'clock in the morning and the brain is starting to wind down!

Rex-D
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Manafon,

Receiving a visitation from a loved one that leaves you at peace with the world is a wonderful gift. I had a similar feeling wash over me after my older brother's passing.

I wonder if the circumstances of your mum's visit are related to the fact that you were alone. Has Mrs Manafon ever heard the ticking as well?

On the subject of "ticking", is the sound subtle like a wrist watch or more pronounced like a grandfather clock?

Jubeele mentioned a heartbeat, so perhaps you could do a "sample count" over 15 seconds. If it is a clock, obviously you'll count 15 "ticks", or, if it is a heartbeat you would expect a count somewhere between 15 and 25.

Anyway, let's hope that you don't have to wait 4 years until the next hello.

Rex-Dundee
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Jubeele--I forgot to add that the ticking did slow down as it faded and seemed to move towards the floor.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
DandK, Melda and Jubeele--Thanks so much for your input.

DandK--I had been thinking about my mom with the holidays approaching and how I wished I could talk to her about a book I recently finished writing. I had been feeling a bit melancholy and I think her visit might have been her way of letting me know she's been following my progress.

Melda--The dates seem random but both occurred when my wife was gone and I was alone. Tried to upvote you but I'm past my quota.

Jubeele--I really like your thought that the ticking was my mom's heart still enduring for me. Damn, that thought really hit home. The shelves though have no significance as I wasn't at home for this most recent visitation and there are only a few knick-knacks on them.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Manafon, the heart knows what it knows. You recognise your mother's presence and that is clearly her chosen way of reaching out to you.

You mentioned that the clock ticking could be alluding to the "passage of time". Or was this a reminder of times past? Do you think there could anything significant on the bookshelf that she wanted you to notice? Perhaps some item or book she thought you might find interesting? Did the cadence of the ticking increase or decrease, or simply stay constant until it faded away?

My other thought was that the ticking could also be reminiscent of a heartbeat. A mother's loving heart still enduring for you. And it's close to Christmas - a time for caring and sharing with family, and loved ones. It was a lovely visitation that brought you comfort. ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Manafon - Your mom has certainly chosen her mode of communication with you.

You realised the first time that she was making her presence known to you, so the obvious way to communicate with you again was via the clock method.

Do the two dates of these incidents mean anything to you or were they just random?

Regards, Melda
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-18)
Manafon, very interesting! Was there anything going on in your life, or perhaps at that house, that may make your mom feel like she needed to reach out? How were you feeling before it happened?
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-17)
I just had a paranormal experience on Saturday night (December 15th) at around 7:30 PM that I wanted to add as a follow-up to the account this comment is attached to, which occured four years ago. I have been staying at a customer's house for the last two weeks and was alone for a few hours. I was sitting in a comfortable chair writing an email on my laptop in the large living room, when I suddenly became aware of a ticking, like that of a medium sized alarm clock. Simultaneously, and exactly as with my original experience, I felt chills from head to toe and that a presence had entered my conscience.

I stood up and walked towards the bookshelf where the ticking seemed to be coming from and it moved off a couple of feet to a window to my right. The ticking then seemed to be coming from the just the other side of the glass. I said out loud, "Is that you mom?", and the ticking then moved back to the area of the shelves and then seemed to move in front of me and then, as I focused more on it, to slowly fade away.

I then simply returned to writing. Only later in the evening did it really hit me that I had been visited again by what I believe to have been the spirit of my mom. As with my first encounter with a strange clock ticking sound, I have found comfort in what I believe was a visitation from my mom.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
I know about the "not normal dream" thing. I had the same with my mom and couldn't stop smiling about it for weeks afterwards. The feeling of absolutely knowing that they're alright is so comforting.

Great account Manafon and I look forward to reading more from you.
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
Thank you elnoraemily, Wish-Not and ifihadyoux. Your comments have been extremely nice to read. It's a bit of an odd experience to "put yourself out there" and have others read a personal encounter you've had with the unknown. Your comments have been very validating to me and I will be sharing other paranornal experiences I have had over the years as soon as I get some time.

I do believe this was encounter was my Mother coming to pay a visit. It was a subtle (as you put it elnoraemily) encounter. Wish-Not, thanks for taking the time to read my story multiple times--that means a lot. And ifihadyoux, it is comforting that my Mom does seem to like to check in from time to time. It has filled me with a real sense of peace. I look forward to readig the stories all of you have submitted.
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
I really liked this. It was a beautifully subtle encounter and I do agree that it seems to be your mother.

Thank you for sharing.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
Manafon- This was an intriguing story. I read it several times just to get the feelings I felt as I read it the first time.

"very intense and focused emotion"...I was able to feel that with you as I read it. (each time)

Very good read and story. Really looking forward to more from your experiences. Thanks for sharing.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
I have seen the clock ticking in stories too and agree that it might just be used to get your attention. I think it's rather sweet your mom has the ability to check in on you and let you know not only that she's watching but that she's ok. As long as you find peace then it's all good.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: