You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What My Brother Saw

Real Ghost Stories

What My Brother Saw

 

My family and I moved into a suburban, fairly new house in the summer of 2009. Ever since we moved in, we had many experiences, one of which I will tell in this story.

Before I begin, I feel it is appropriate to describe the layout of the house. It was a 3 bedroom, two story house. As soon as you walk in the front door, you see this big staircase leading up to the second floor, and on that floor we had my parents' bedroom at one side of the hall, and on the other side we had the girls' bedroom and my brother's bedroom right next door to each other, they even shared the same wall. Right in the middle of the hall there was a bathroom. I had 2 sisters and 1 brother who had his own room.

Moving on to the experience, my brother was 4 at the time, and for some reason, he would never want to go upstairs by himself unless there was someone glued to his side. It didn't matter what time of day or night it was, or how light or dark it was, he just never went upstairs by himself. He always said he was too scared, but he never explained why. We just shook it off and walked him upstairs every time, thinking he was just a little 4 year old with a big imagination. This went on the entire 4 and a half years that we lived in that house, and my mother was starting to get worried because my brother was getting older and he was still terrified.

My mom was on the phone with my grandfather, and he was and still is a very christian man. Even though my grandfather lived in Washington, and we lived in California, my brother always had a bond with my grandfather. They were always very close, even though they rarely saw each other in person. Anyways, my mom was talking to him on the phone for hours, and she mentioned that her son was terrified half to death just thinking of having to go upstairs alone. My grandfather thought it was very strange and he wanted to talk to his grandson himself, so my mom passed the phone over to my brother.

They were talking for a good half hour, then the phone was passed back to my mom. My grandfather's tone changed and he told us the whole reason behind this. My brother had told him that every time he goes upstairs alone or even walks down that hall alone, he sees a black, hairless, tall "thing" that would just stand in between the girls' room and his room and stare at him and grin ear to ear.

We didn't know what to do because, at the time, this kind of thing never happened to us before, but we knew he wasn't lying because we saw the horrified look on his face, almost to the point of tears, whenever someone mentioned the upstairs. Even now, that we live in a different house, far away from that one, my, now 10 year old brother, is still scared every time he talks about it.

I will be posting more experiences that I, my brother, and the whole family have had, because there was definitely something in that house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StrangeThings, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-22)
hehe Ishan I was having a giggle while I typed it, glad you found it amusing too! 😊
ishan (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-21)
Haha. I really find the comment from Tweed a very interesting one. I especially liked the thought of the creature getting bored:D.
In case of human spirits I can somewhat understand why they stay in same places. Like, for example, a person may have died at the very same spot. Just a thought.
But by the description provided, it doesn't seem to be a human ghost. Can't be sure.

[at] Tweed: no disrespect meant by what I said at the beginning of this comment.:) .

Regards
StrangeThings (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-18)
I probably should've cleared this up in the description, but the two rooms were on the SECOND floor. I didn't go in much detail as to describing the ground floor because it wasn't relevant to the story. (:
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-17)
lol Yeah I'd say the Slender Man joke was based on *some* reality, or at least his appearance probably was. I've heard of faceless beings too.
Angel87 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-17)
[at] Tweed

Lol goes to show you how accurate the internet is.

But I have heard before of faceless creatures before the internet, although it could be just boogie man type stories.

But the description in the story here and what the slenderman does is kind of unnerving since it has a lot of similarities lol.

Cheers bud:D
bone_rose (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-17)
Super creepy! Great story and I'm sorry that your brother had to go through that at such a young age. I can't wait to hear more of your stories.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-17)
Umm Angel, hate to tell you but you've been punked! (At least I'm 99% sure you have. 😲 😆)

Slender Man was created by some dudes who were having a bit of a giggle with photoshop. They made up a bunch of crap about historical sightings of this tall faceless being. It is all fiction, no joke. If you read the first stentence of the article you pasted for me, (Btw: thank you that was very kind!), you'll see the it says something about a fictional wait...

"The Slender Man (also known as Slenderman) is a supernatural creature with nebulously defined characteristics and abilities. Slender Man was first mentioned in Something Awful Forum's "Create Paranormal Images"."

(I searched Slender Man before my first commented when I read this topic because I'd only vaguely heard of him and found a slew of good humoured 'hoax articles pertaining to him.)

But thank you for kindly going into such depth for me!
After my morning rant/question aka nonsense babbling! 😆

PS: Everyone, we don't actually know too much about what the entity upstairs looked like. Keep in mind a few folk were merely reminded by Slender Man whilst reading.

Omg! Apparently I maxed out my emoticon limit, was going to end on a winky face.
<;o)
Angel87 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-17)
[at] Tweed

I was looking up the description and like I said in my comment it sounded like a slender man, and I looked up some information on the real myth and it turns out it gas some germanic roots.

Here is what I found on the history of the slender man and also on it's kind of profile, and I believe that it answers your question on why he only stalks his brother, apparently he chooses who he haunts, and has no defined reason.

Slender Man has no exactly defined or specified history, however contributors have placed early sightings of Slender Man-like beings in early 1600s Germany and before, where it took the dress of a knight or royal figure. Germanic fairy tales and mythology also makes use of the creatures to be used as cautionary tales for children.

Photographs from the early 1900s were the next confirmed reports, where imagery of Slender Man can be found in classical black and white and sepia imagery. Reports from this time indicate sightings in America, the UK, and Russia, as well as reports of child disappearances.

By the mid-1900s, some rare run-ins occurred in the war zones in Germany, apparently Slender Man's native land. Soldiers were the primary targets here. In America and Canada, reports of missing skiers and children appeared, coming from forested areas of the nations.

After a spree of building burnings from unknown causes, several deaths and a few surviving witnesses, it could be gathered that the Slender Man had the following traits:

Slender Man will find interest in a victim for reasons unknown
It would then contact the victim, if it is a child, presenting itself as friendly
The adults he stalks have a common trait: they have all been through a terrible tragedy in their life, even if the tragedy was made by Slender Man directly
If an adult, it would stalk the victim for long amounts of time causing what is known as "Slender sickness" causing massive paranoia, nose bleeds, nightmares, hallucinations appearing to only the sick person, and many other dangerous symptoms.
Eventually, it would abduct the victim into nearby forest, where they would be killed.
In 'messy' cases, it may remove evidence of its existence by causing fire of their home, place of work, or school.

And here is the page I found the info on.

Http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/Slender_Man
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-17)
Hi StrangeThings,

I'm very intrigued by what your bother saw and look forward to any more stories you want to share.

If it's not rude of me I'd like to use your story as an example to ask a few questions regarding the manner of this haunt. These questions are general and for anyone reading, who may know/have a theory. These questions are from curiosity not suspicion.

In hauntings like theses why or how do ghosts hang around one location, always there without fail? I get that there's an attachment/fondness for a location. But the same spot exactly? Seems like a very boring pass time to me.
Ruling out residual, as the figure smiled at the boy, I'm wondering why a ghost would do this? Okay, to frighten some kid, I get some ghosts are jerks. But just thinking of the how and why it's possible for a ghost to *always be in the same spot every time the boy went upstairs.*

It's too early and I don't know how to word what I'm asking...I'll start again.

How is it possible for a ghost/entity to hang around the same spot every time one person goes to that spot. Doesn't that ghost get bored? Surely they aren't there *absolutely all of the time* surely not, or are they? I mean seriously, you can psychically pick up that the boy is about to go upstairs and quickly get into position for another thrilling 'scare' but surely you'd have other things to do as well, right? Maybe not, I just don't understand how it's possible for one individual entity to be bothered being present for one person to experience what the boy experienced.

Hope I made some sense. StrangeThings Hope you don't mind me asking all that about your story! Thanks for sharing it 😆
TPA_Abhijeet (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-16)
Nice one Strange things
I would like to know more about that house and I am eagerly waiting for more stories

However there is one thing I don't get, please explain that to me
1) You told me that your brother was afraid to go upstairs alone i.e on 2nd floor, right? But you told me that he saw the ghost in between his room and girls room which both are on ground floor as per your house layout. Then why was he afraid to go upstairs when the ghost was on ground floor? And if he saw the ghost in between his bedroom and girls room, then he should be afraid to go in his room too because it was where the ghost was standing and staring at him

Please ask your brother about that and he might tell you something more about it
YLissaBearrY (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-16)
Hello, StrangeThings. This is a really interesting story. At first, when you were describing the house, I was having a little bit of difficulty picturing it exactly in my head, but I think get the gist of it.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame your brother for being scared to go upstairs or have anything to do with it. Not saying that you blame him, but, just saying that I would've probably been the same about having stairs. I've never liked stairs, never wanted a two-story house... I was always scared sometimes when I'd have to go upstairs in a friend's house, just because I didn't like the feeling...But, anywho, I thought the brother would've been the "brave" one in this story before I read it--but, that's just me "predicting" before I read. Because he was young when this started, I can understand him not being able to get over it. I surely wouldn't. Glad y'all moved out though.

I agree with Angel; somewhat. What he's been seeing does kind of sound like Slender Man, but... In my opinion, Slender Man is just an "Internet meme," and not really real. I "could" be wrong though. So, I don't know exactly what he saw; either way, it's freaky. Especially how this thing's grin sort of seems like a Cheshire smile.

I also agree with RedWolf. If possible, maybe researching about the land under and around that house would give us some kind of answer. It'd be really nice to know, since researching about my land's history seems impossible (as nothing ever happened in the far past even with all the encounters I've had).

Well, thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to read more from you. I also wish y'all safety in the future. 😳
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-16)
StrangeThings
Did you ever research the area? If not, even though you no longer live there it would be interesting to know what was there before that house was built.
Regards
Red
Angel87 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-16)
[at] StrangeThings

Pretty intense story, looking forward for more stories.

The description of the entity kind of reminded me of Slender man. But who knows?, it is a freaky story tho.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: