You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Dream Or Real?

Real Ghost Stories

Dream Or Real?

 

I read a story from deepak22 about sleep paralysis and I think even I have one experience bit similar. But I'm still not able to find out if it was a scientific or paranormal event.

This was during my early working days and I was 23. I had just finished my night shift at a manufacturing unit and came home and slept at around 10 AM. I was alone at home and I immediately went to sleep. But at about 11 AM, I woke up and see myself sleeping head down. As I open my eyes, I am able to see everything at home as normal and same as it was at the time I slept. But the most strange part was, I was unable to lift my hand and get up. I could feel the force of a palm with 5 fingers on my head and it was pushing my head down. I tried my level best to turn my head or lift it up to see who was behind me and was pushing my head. But I was hardly able to see it. But even in this mysterious situation, there was a sense of safety in myself and I was somehow confident that whoever it might be, won't be hurting me to any extent.

After some sort of struggle I finally gave up the idea of lifting my head and I don't know how, I just went back to sleep and I woke up again after 2 hours and was continuously thinking if it was a dream or it happened in reality.

I cannot accept it as a dream because, usually when I dream, I never see the surroundings so clear and in place as it normally would be. It will be usually a different place or unclear surroundings in our dream. But this thought still keeps me thinking about it even after 12 years now. But I never experienced such a thing again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bangaloredreams, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

maxhealthindia (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-15)
Hey Banglore I just want to say that it was not paranormal because some time it happened to few people who can't move single body part so just chill no need to create seen here 😁
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
bangalore,
Something in your story, the working a night shift, made me wonder if perhaps you had sleep paralysis. Quite often a change in sleeping patterns can trigger one. Normally we're 'geared' to be up during the day and sleep at night. So if you hadn't been working nights very long, it could trigger it, or even a high level of stress, or certain medications, just to name a few. However, you description leaves out a common symptom that simply will not permit me to call this a clear cut case of sleep paralysis: it's generally accompanied by complex hallucinations and intense fear.
FUN FACT: This frightening phenomenon is recognized in all cultures. In Mexico, it is known as "a dead body climbed on top of me," in Japan it is called "Kanashibari," and in Newfoundland it is referred to as "the old hag."
Lately, I have been doing a lot of research on OBEs and meditation, and as Tweed points out much of what you describe fits that. More so than sleep paralysis.
Since you only experienced it the one time, I wouldn't be too alarmed, put it in the WTH was that file 😉, and treasure it.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
Goggzy I think you nailed. To me this feels like sleep paralysis. But that doesn't mean it isn't scary. I don't think I had that happen to me before and to be honest with you I'm glad it never did lol. Thnaks fro sharring BangaloreDreams and I hope you found your answer.
bangaloredreams (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
Hi Tweed, I never heard of OBE, but as you said it might be the case. But I never experienced such things before or after this.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-18)
i had a similar experience last night... I had just drifted of to sleep not that long but it felt as though someone was touching my bum and I have no idea if my eyes were open or closed but I could see a lump under my covers and I was trying to call out to jesus as that's what I have heard to do but it was almost like my mouth was frozen (not like cold) but the way someones mouth would be if theyd had a stroke it was like I was mumbleing but in my head I was shouting managed to move my elbow then I was able to speak and lift my head... Its a little hard to explain and I don't know if it was a dream or if its because I have been reading these storys the last few nights or something else but it was strange and I ended up turning the kitchen light on and hugging my sons teddy to fall back asleep
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-18)
Hi there Bangalore,

It sounds to me like you might have had an OBE, out of body experience. The hand you felt sounds like it was quite a peaceful presence, someone with your best interests at heart. I think you should cherish this experience. Is it something you've ever attempted to do since or before this event?

Thanks for sharing.
Goggzy (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-17)
This is a clear case of sleep paralysis and the fingers you felt would be your brain trying to make sense of it all. Sleep paralysis is caused by sleep deprivation or age (it's more common in teenagers) and basically your body wakes up and your brain isn't up and running yet so it has to try and make sense of it all sometimes people feel pushed down or sat/lied on.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: