You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: The Tall Dark Figure

Real Ghost Stories

The Tall Dark Figure

 

I must start my experience with a quick prequel: The house I grew up in was in the central valley of California, and I believed it to be haunted. My mother, three out of six brothers, cousin, and uncle all experienced paranormal activity in the form of apparitions, unexplained noises/voices and night terrors. This house became the breeding ground to many unfortunate activities, all of which my family was responsible for. To give you an idea, there was a time when alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual/physical/mental/emotional abuse and basic moral corruption took place in the home.

With that said, my experience occurred when I was 17yrs old. I was up at dawn getting ready for a cross country meet and my dad was going to take me. I was going to the kitchen to get some water and passed the bathroom where my dad was shaving his morning beard. As I passed my father and headed to the kitchen, something caught my attention in the living room. I turned to look and saw this massive dark figure sitting on the end of the sofa. Because it was dawn, the living room was still cloaked in darkness. While the figure itself had no detail to its face and body, I could feel it staring at me. Its size dwarfed the living room, as it towered as high as the ceiling.

The worst came when the dark figure whispered my name (actually my nickname, what my family calls me). I suddenly felt this horrible feeling of dread and fear engulf my whole body, the hairs standing straight up on my arms. I ran back to my father to see if he was still in the bathroom, which he was. He and I were the only ones in the home (by this time my mother divorced my dad and moved to a nearby city).

This experience still haunts me because it was so frightening and traumatizing. I truly believe that when people behave immorally and destructively, they are capable of introducing evil spirits or negative energy into their home. My father still lives in this house, but he claims to never have experienced anything. Whenever I go visit him, the memory of my experience still makes me feel uneasy in the home.

Thank you for taking the time to read my experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ginaleo1979, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kaykay3313 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-30)
Wow that's crazy. I've seen shadow people like this too and the way you described it is almost exactly what I can describe of them as well. Very big no distinguishable features just. Almost like the cloaked beings from Harry Potter the thing's that suck your soul out of you (in the movie). Tweed you had commented on my experience saying you thought it was some kind of earth spirit. Do you think that is what ginaleo1979 may have experienced as well? Just a thought.
Cerberus7 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-01)
Well ginaleo I hope you have found this to be a very supportive if not a bit overly inquisitive community. Lol
And were only a few commenters in... And I hope you are feeling quite welcome as I never formally welcomed you to the website being the first responder as it were. Lol
Sorry about that. So welcome to YGS officially though a bit belatedly.

As you might see... There are not that many doubters creepers nor even trollers lurking too far outside the spooky tales of your fellow tellers of true to life experiences in these forums... And that has kept me around for a bit myself.

Once again thank you for being so open, honest, and real. It makes me so happy when someone comes here who has had these kinds of experiences and makes the choice to tell their own stories. Not of course that you suffered through them... I believe it is a process... For the better I would hope. For you as much as for some others who may have come here because of a very real recent occurrence in their own lives.
This forum... Though I drift in and out myself pretty infrequently has helped me to sort out a few of my darkest memories and I have yet to tell all my own really dark tales... But helping others find an answer when I can has been a cathartic experience of my own.

I am really glad to see that you are in a place to feel like it is time to bring forward some of these dark repressed events to hopefully help you sort some of it out.
Nobody asks for these kind of events to take place in their lives.
I am truly touched and saddened to hear about your brother.
And the bad that was inflicted on you and your family in general.

This is a great place to share by the way. At least as long as there are those like Tweed and Biblio in this community. Many warriors of the light to be found around here I assure you.

You know in the end it is us searching for the reason and answers that brings us to a place like this to begin with. Where we can share and validate the real events that somehow can be so hard sometimes for our own selves to believe actually took place.

I hope you continue sharing here Gina and it can help you. Maybe you'll find you helped out a few others on the way as well.

Goodnight
Peace and Light
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-01)
Gina, you're very welcome.
I'm not religious but have seen the benefits and positive impact a love of God has through my Christian friends. I've no doubt your prayers are making a big difference.
I wasn't sure if you'd want to read about other accounts at this time. As I'm aware it can take time to get used to talking about these things. I also know it can be comforting and I'm getting this sense from you now. So I'll link you to some recent stories on here which have a similar kind of negative entity.

This one is a very recent story:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22322

These two stories are from the same person:
Part one
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22100

Part two
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22102

My husband is big on Sage cleansing and I've become a fan of Sage through him.
There's a member on here who has a home cleansing and shielding method on his profile. Many people here use this, myself included. This one is effective done periodically. We do this about once a month on average. Or once a week if we feel the need:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

Hope these links are helpful. 😊
ginaleo1979 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-01)
Biblio,
Yes, I agree, Cerberus asked some great questions. To be honest, a lot of the sexual/physical/emotional abuse started before I was even born. I was the youngest of the family at that time, but even then, the abuse caught up with me too. My home hardly ever was a 'light' place. There was so much anger and sadness going on, it just became a theme. My mother was fanatically religious, but I believe she used religion to yield and project her rage to her children. Any moments of happiness were short lived. I know my mother loved us, but she was a broken woman. My parents seperated when I was young, so my father was never in the home (until now, after their official divorce). According to my mother and sister, when my dad was in the home, he was a huge source of the abuse as well. Throughout the years, my mother had cousins move in and out, even people from the church who needed a temporary place to stay. So there were many people to project energy in the home. I guess the person who was most affected by his childhood was my older brother, who lost himself in meth addiction. He struggled a lot in the home. He claimed voices talking to him, seeing demons and having visions of his own death. My story is just a drop in the bucket compared to what he's been through. What's ironic is that when my mom moved out of the home, my brother later moved in with my dad and became his tormentor. He verbally, physically and emotionally abused my father. A lot of that was drug induced, though. In the end, the reason I still visit my father in the home is because my dad is 79yrs old and can no longer drive. I go and take my two daughters with me, but we stay in the home for a couple of minutes and then take my dad out to eat or run errands. I make it a point to not linger in the home for very long (10min or so at most). Although I must say that since my dad renovated the home, it has felt a bit lighter. But not enough where I'd want to stay!
ginaleo1979 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-01)
Tweed, thank you, I appreciate your feedback and support. I have never read others experiences with these dark entities. I will definitely have to do some research. You're correct, there is definitely safety and strength in numbers! While I am not fanatically religious, I do believe in God and in his protection. My meditation comes in the form of nightly prayer. In the end, I consider myself to be more spiritual. I definitely believe in cleansings. I make it a point to sage my home when I see fit. But I'm not familiar with protection rituals. Again, something I will have to educate myself on. Once again, thank you for your warm support.
Fondly,
Gina
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
BibliotheObservant, yes I live part of the year in California, my husband is American. By the way had a giggle at your Yank and Brit observations from a couple days ago!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
Sidenote:
Tweed, are you stateside at the moment? It's 4 a.m. In Britain...
-Biblio
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
Greetings, Gina.

I'm glad that Cerberus typed out -in detail- precisely what I was wondering: is it possible you've confused cause and effect? Perhaps you could ask yourself the following questions, just to see what you remember, what you've blocked or suppressed, and what the timeline of events/escalation was:
1. When did the haunting/discomfort begin versus the illegal/immoral/tragic activities begin?
2. Do you remember a time BEFORE these events when the house felt warm, pleasant, and inviting?
3. Did someone return from an activity, such as a night out, profoundly changed (either for better or for worse)?
4. Who showed the greatest amount of change over time?
5. Who changed the least?
6. Is there something that the non-believers in your family have in common BESIDES not believing in -or at least not witnessing- this apparition?
7. Some of the behaviors you describe tend to be either an escape from reality (drugs/alcohol) or a failed attempt to bring an overwhelming, chaotic universe under control (sexual/physical abuse); which family members fall into these categories, both categories, or victims of a person in these categories? -see who matches up with your response to question #6.
8. If the house bothers you so much, why do you visit your dad there? Couldn't you suggest meeting somewhere else, like a lunchtime get-together in a reasonably-priced restaurant or fast-food shop?

Just a few ideas rattling around in my head as I read your quite disturbing story.

Take care,
-Biblio
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
Hi Ginaleo,

I was very disturbed to read your experience. Though I am thankful you shared it, as it may help others. There are some other experiences with huge faceless dark shadow type figures like you have described. All of these faceless beings (that I have read at least) speak to the individual who sees them. All have described the same sense of dread. I agree completely that the energy in a home can attract certain things. I'm so sorry for everything you have described.

I think Cerberus has touched on some very valid points, and like him I would hate to give an 'excuse' for horrible actions.

Also I completely sympathise with your fear of conjuring this entity into your life after submitting the story. I faced a similar fear with a story once. But in the end I was glad I talked about it.

Do you practice any meditation and are you familiar with cleansing/shielding methods? Most people here do things like this to keep themselves and their home protected.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks for sharing but so sorry it was difficult. I hope sharing this will bring you comfort. You have safety in numbers, you're definitely not alone.
ginaleo1979 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
Cerberus7, thank you so much for taking the time to read my experience. When I submitted my story, I didn't really know what to expect. Your comments/observations are definitely appreciated:)
In regards to your question, I really don't know if my family acted on negative forces, causing them to do the ugly things they did. I have thought about it, but it's almost like asking yourself what came first, the chicken or the egg? I can say that the house itself harbors a heaviness, a sense of anxiety and sadness. That may be the residual effect of what many of us went through living in that house, causing a permanent stain on the foundation itself. In the end, I'm thankful that I've been strong-minded enough to work through my childhood trauma. But truth be told, the experience of the dark entity still lurks in the shadows of my mind. A gnawing thought disrupts my life from time to time, wondering if it will ever re-appear. It might sound silly, but I even wondered if sharing my story would give it power to come back. But in the end, I realize that the fear itself is what fuels such negativity and I decide to keep my spirit, mind and body in positive light. This is my armor.
Once again, thank you!
Warm Wishes,
Gina
Cerberus7 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
Wow, that is really freaky.
I'm so glad you made it through those dark times ginaleo1979 and thank you for sharing.
Thank you for being so clear and open about the back history... Most would probably not be so brave or be so definitive.
I see that you believe the actions of your family or those around the incidents created this dark energy... And that really is a good and valid observation. That kind of realization usually comes from processing the events over time.
I'm not meaning to pry anymore into any traumatic events of your past... I guess I am just trying to see if maybe given a different perspective on things you can think back during those times and see if maybe the energy itself may have been acting on those in the house at that time and causing them to act outside of their normal behavior. Maybe it's an idea you've already given thought to.
Being that you say it affected several of your brothers, your mom, an uncle and cousin also, do you think this was something that has existed in the history of that house before you were born. Could it be surrounding a person that was in that house prior to you all ever being there. I am just wondering could this dark presence have maybe manipulated those around you to cause them to do all those harmful things and create that kind of chaotic and corrupt environment.
By no means am I saying this is an excuse for anyone's negative behavior. Just so you know I believe completely that drug abuse and alcoholism (as well as dabbling in innocent magic/divination whether you believe in it or not without a real understanding or any practical knowledge or protection) can open up doors to severe spiritual attacks leading to major long term afflictions for anyone as well as all those in that person's immediate home and life. It's also in my belief that certain places have been known to harbor entities which prey on those who are weak enough or present the right opportunity to let them...

Again not expecting any kind of in depth answer... Just wondering if you have thought through any other possibilities as well.

Thank you again for sharing with us.
Most of us are here to read things like this to get that chill that comes from the tale... Your story does that.
Some of us live with the chill also.

Take care, and much peace and light.
-John

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: