You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Three Thumps

Real Ghost Stories

Three Thumps

 

When I was about third grade, back when neighbourhood children used to gather in large groups and play, the most vivid unexplained experience that has ever happened to me occurred.

I and my best friends liked climbing the trees in a small park close to where we lived. We especially loved one mulberry tree, because it was easy to climb, and its fruits were accessible. That tree was at the end of the park. Just about six meters away from it was an old house, in very poor condition. It was one of those houses that look like they're out of a Grimm brothers' fairy tale. It had two stone gargoyles above the windows, and a very creepy woman's head, also made of stone, between them. Its windows were mostly smashed, but the holes were too small for anyone to pass through without having to cut themselves badly, and break more off the glass. We were always curious about the house and talked about daring each other to go in, but none of us were brave enough.

One day it started raining, and the only place that was dry was the house. It wasn't raining above it or its yard. We were about ten or twelve people, all about my age, and when somebody proposed to go in there, nobody really wanted to be a coward. Besides, we had been waiting for a reason to go there, and we had an opportunity to justify not going alone, so we went in. We started circling the small yard, and peeking inside. I was at the front door, looking through the window next to it. There was a rusted old bath tub, a wardrobe, a coat hanger and the rest wasn't visible, apart from the stairway that went up. I remember it clear as day.

One of our friends started wondering how we could get in. She was looking for something to pick the lock with, and after failing with several items, she shook the door by the handle violently, out of frustration. Immediately afterwards, there was a sound like something huge fell on the upper floor, then the ground floor less than a second later, and finally, just as quickly, something heavy threw itself or fell against the door. We went out as fast as we could, and after a few hundred meters of running, we stopped and started talking about it. I didn't see it myself, but my best friend and the girl who tried to pick the lock swear, until this day, that there was a man on the second floor window, who seemed pale and was looking straight at them.

We asked the people living next to the house if there was anyone living inside, but they said there's only a young man who comes once in a while, about twice per year or less, and he had been there just a couple months prior, so that definitely wasn't him. They were positive nobody else lived there.

I swear on my life that this happened. The house is now renovated, and our favourite tree is cut down, but our memory of that day will forever be as if this happened yesterday.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StefNZ, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
3 years ago (2020-12-06)
Although I don't advocate breaking and entering to do it LOL
The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-12-06)
Fenrispro,

I don't think it's insane and I've done similar things. Human curiosity coupled with the courage to step out of one's comfort zone have driven some of mankind's greatest advances and what is the supernatural if not another frontier to be faced and explored?
Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
3 years ago (2020-12-05)
Thats insane, why would you want to enter a dilapidated place with stone gargoyles and that kind of eerie hostile atmosphere? Obviously should stay Far away from it
StefNZ (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-27)
The rain thing was a normal phenomena - there can be holes in the clouds, and since there was no wind, and it wasn't exactly a downpour, it's possible. The thing is, it's still quite odd, and it was pretty much more of a reason to finally enter the house than anything else.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-08)
RedWolf, I live in Tornado Alley and I've seen neighborhoods where some houses were spared and the ones next to them were not. Sometimes families get lucky.

But there's a big difference between a tornado lifting off the ground for a hundred feet and a house that gets no rain when all the houses around do. If that's what happened in StefNZ's story, I'd feel comfortable saying paranormal.

StefNZ, please come back and clarify the rain issue.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-08)
Long Island doesn't normally get tornadoes but about 17 or 18 years ago we had watches and warnings all over the place especially on the south shore. My sisters sister in-laws father had died the week before. A tornado touched down a few houses away from her mothers house. The neighbor right next to her mothers house got hit it skipped over the sister in-laws mothers house and dropped back down right next door on the other side. That house was the only one for several blocks on that side of the street that didn't have ANY house or yard damage. There was an aerial photo in the news paper showing her house and yard untouched and houses on either side with damage. I call that lucky not paranormal.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-07)
Valkricry, I should have been more clear in what I meant. I meant if it was raining all around the house, but not on the house, it would be paranormal.

Sorry, I was making a quick answer because I was posting using my phone and the dog was trying to get the phone. 😭
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-09-07)
Weather is an odd thing, and is not paranormal. I've had it raining, really down pouring in the front yard, while it stayed dry as a bone in the backyard. Weird? Yes, but hardly paranormal.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-07)
StefNZ, your story is intriguing, especially the part about it not raining on the house. Were there a lot of trees sheltering the house from rain or was it just nor raining on the house. If it was the later, you definitely had paranormal activity going on.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
do you mean it was raining over the whole street apart from on that house?
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
Hi Stef,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to the house. It sounded awesome.
I have a sneaky suspicion you heard and your friends saw a squatter. Possibly some addicts. Very sad, but it's likely the man wasn't a ghost after all.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: