You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our New Grandmother

Real Ghost Stories

Our New Grandmother

 

I have a little trouble remembering specifics of this experience as I was young and have tried very hard not to remember them over the years as well! This took place in Brisbane, Queensland and my relatives still live in the house today.

I was about 10 when my aunty and uncle and my two younger cousins moved into a beautiful old Queenslander in an older, more historic side of Brisbane. The house was huge and situated near big old school for children with special needs, which used to be a retirement home as we learnt, many years before it became the school. There was also a newer aged home facility directly across the road.

After a couple of months after moving in, my family visited one day. My two cousins and I were playing in one of the boys bedrooms when I left for a drink or something and came back to see my cousin sitting on the floor playing with an old (and I mean OLD, about 90) lady sitting on the bed watching him. She was as plain as day and nothing felt strange about it, I figured she was someone from the other side of the family who I didn't know, and had entered whilst I was gone. It must have been about 15 or 20 minutes or so that went by and she just sat there watching us and occasionally talking to someone who wasn't us. Neither my cousin or I said anything to each other about her, just figured the other one knew who she was. It started creeping me out that she was just watching us play and not talk so I decided to have a chat but when I turned up to look at her she wasn't there. I didn't think anything of it, it was a big room and we weren't facing her so she could have left.

Months after this I didn't go to the house and one day at a family get together, my cousin told me the lady always comes into his room or the bathroom and asks where the little blonde girl is (me) and that she liked me because I reminded her of when she was a girl. This struck me as odd. Why wouldn't she ask my aunt or uncle where I was?

I think it was about a year or so later that I went back to the house when my younger cousin came running up to me and told me there was someone who wanted to see me. I didn't even think it would be her, but I went in his room and sure enough there she was, but this time very very pale, and something smelt like it was starting to rot in the room (and after I accused my cousin of producing the smell...) and smelt a little musty I think, then I figured out what was going on. I was so scared I couldn't move or talk or anything. My cousin sat down and started to play and she just stared at me and smiled the whole time whilst I was frozen up against the bedroom wall. Eventually I asked her where she came from and she gestured towards no particular place. I asked if it was the old folks home the road and she shook her head to say no. I looked at my cousin and looked back at her and she was gone. I asked him if he had heard what she had said and he had no idea of what I was talking about, just that some lady asked me to go to his room.

That was the last any of my cousins remember seeing her, except a few years later my cousin was woken up and still sleepy, heard a lady say "you kids are all grown up now, you used to wear me out walking all the way from the home to see you" or something along the lines of that. After that he asked my aunty who the old lady was in his room and she flipped out understandably. But they still live there and nothing has ever happened, and I am still too scared to go back there, and even more scared to talk about it with my family. I never really thought it was real until my cousin brought it up last year, which gave me a huge shock. She was a sweet old thing I guess. I just found it strange that she never spoke to me.

The email address that was submitted with this story was invalid and we could not reach the author. If you are the author, please write us back so we can correct this information.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-09)
I find this story a little odd only because of the adults not being told at the first sight of this old woman. Why would you or your cousin even stay or go into that room with these things happening? And what's up with the rotting smell? That is not a good sign. Does it indicate her being buried somewhere in the walls of that bedroom or underneath the floor? Foul play? I have to agree with WhiteBuffalo, there are pieces missing that maybe you have to fill in for it to be more believable. Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-09)
I agree with Annie and whitebuffalo, something "ain`t quite right". As dumb as I was as a kid I would have asked who the old lady was. 😕

Be Safe and God Bless
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-08)
If this is a true story, more than just a few things have been forgotten through time. There are too many unexplained missing blocks for it to really make any sense to me. It may have actually happened, I was not there, I do not know, but for me there are just too many missing pieces. Thank you.
babylon (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-05)
i believe any thing is possible, I wonder what she was there for? Maybe it was her house or her grandchildren grew up there. Good to hear a fellow aussie's ghost story. Cheers
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-04)
Sorry, but I'm finding this one hard to believe. I could be totally wrong, just seems like something from a movie. Sorry.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: