You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghost Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Cats

 

I don't believe in ghosts, and I still don't, to this day. It's nothing personal and nothing against those who do believe in them, but my own beliefs will not allow it. But... I do have a couple unexplained stories from my past, and I do not know if they have logical reasons or if they were just dreams. I am curious about your honest opinions, nonetheless, and I have written to you for answers.

I was really into goosebumps when I was younger. I was watching a movie made from one of the books about a piano where the ghost in the book is just a pair of hands that plays the keys. The song in it was really haunting. Later that night, I'm asleep and I hear the piano playing that song outside my bedroom (it was down the hallway in the sitting room). So I get up and I can still hear it as I walk down the hall, but when I get into the room with the piano, it stops. I go back into (well, run back into) my room and get back in bed and it starts again. Of course by this time I'm terrified, so I just suffer there in bed listening to it until it finishes and I go to sleep with my light on.

I'm thinking it was just a dream from being scared by the movie? But then why do I remember opening the door and feeling the floor on my feet when I investigated? My second story, that convinces me more than this first:

We had four black cats (no, I'm not superstitious - these cats brought more luck than misfortune!) and when a couple of them died, I used to see shadows out of the corner of my eye, like a cat jumping on a counter or crossing into another room. But no cat was there when I looked again. My mom said it was just because I was used to seeing them. When my favorite cat died that I had been very close to all my life, I swear I could still feel her jump on the end of my bed at night and lie down. I would sit up sometimes to pet her or feel for her, but of course, nothing.

Since both these instances I have seen neither hide nor hair of a ghost, and after my mom told me that the cats were just my imagination used to seeing them run around, I stopped seeing that as well. But were these real encounters? Especially with my beloved cat?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, natbug2106, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

tkmoore (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-03)
I've also had two experiences with cats who I feel come back every so often, for whatever reason.
The first occurence was with a kitten we named Neo. When we first found him, he was sickly and we didn't really expect him to survive but with an antibiotic we got from a local vet, he did survive although during the time that he spent with us, he would sneeze constantly.
Anyway, he was with us for about a year when he suddenly disapeared. Being a male, I figured he had just taken off, perhaps taking up with another family as cats often do.
But it was not long after Neo's disapearance that odd things started to happen. There are cats, who decided to adopt us, that stay in our back yard. Being soft-hearted and not willing to see animals starve, we feed them. One day, I opened the back door to feed them and saw a grey streak racing towards me and could actually feel it run between my legs. Thinking it one of the cats wishing to explore our home, when I went back inside I expected to find a cat which, to my surprise, there was none.
The last occurence I had with Neo was when me and my son-in-law were in the living room and both of us heard a sneeze. My son-in-law thought that the sneeze belonged to my neice but I knew that this was not the case. I looked towards the kitchen and it was then that I saw Neo but only the upper portion of his body.
He looked at me, nodded his head and disapeared and since that time, I have not had an encounter with him.
The most recent encounter I have had was with an old female cat we had named Mama Cat because of all the young she has had over the years. A couple of weeks ago, she disapeared and I just figured that because of her age, she had gone and passed away. But two days ago, as I was again feeding the backyards cats, I was surprised to suddenly see her appear. She climbed up onto the porch, I spoke to her and was about to pet her when I had a feeling that I shouldn't touch her. Anyway, I went back into the house to get some more food and when I returned, she was gone and since then, I have not seen her again. During this time, I also noticed that one of the cats would not come up onto the porch as long as she was there.
So yes, I do believe in the possibility of our loved pets coming back to us in spirit form. I'd also like to point out that I have been writing a novel where the characters are cats. Twice, I have come to an impasse on my writing. The first was when Neo reapeared up and the second, Mama Cat. I wonder if this is their way of telling me to finish what I've started.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Hi, sounds like to me that your beloved cat is still hanging around and making its presence known from time to time. I don't see anything bad in it. Just tell the cat you love it like you would normally do, and no, no one on here will think you are crazy. Please share some more stories if you have any.

Thanks for sharing. 😊
dawes57 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-11)
My old cat has come back he was 23 years old when he died and now he is back, people tell me that he is walking around the house and sleeping in his normal place on top of my bed and some-times on top of other beds he had the right to pick who he wanted to sleep with and was always welcomed by all, its not just me its other people, isn't that great?

and yes his life force was or is great he loved life and wants to stay around to keep a check on his home, he is still the best old beast in the world. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-13)
Well put, Ohiowatha.
natbug2106, if they were explained occurrences, we wouldn't be here, would we? I can not say why a few cats would come back to you and your beloved dog has not. That again is one of the unexplained things that we are all here searching the answers for. Let me assure you, though, if this is your basis for being skeptical, that base is a bit shaky.
After Jesus Christ was crucified, why did he appear to certain people and not all the people of the world? Why did Joseph Smith have a prophetic dream that caused him to finish the text of his faith? What caused Gerald Gardner to know within himself that his belief system made sense and that people would follow? What caused Siddhartha Gautama to teach the way he did as to cause the movement that he did? I could go on, but I won't.
My point is, please do not close your mind to the possibilities out there. Do your research, form your opinions, find your faith. Do not rely on others to do this for you. Do not be like a lemming and just jump off the cliff as that is how you were raised, or that is what you were taught. If you do, then the mind that you were born with has been wasted and not taxed enough. Do not let yourself get to the end of your life wondering if the choices you made, and the faith you had (in all that you know) were all correct.
Never stop searching. I believe that you found this site for a reason. Maybe it was just curiosity, maybe you came here to prove a point. You do state very clearly that you do not believe in ghosts, yet the name of this story is ghost cats. Maybe Martin changed the name to fit the story, maybe you picked the title. But I think you are still looking for the answer to that question within yourself. How can you explain posting it here and not somewhere else?
Anyway, "The mind is a terrible thing to waste", and to close it off to all the wonderful, unexplained things in this world would be a terrible waste.
Thank you for your story.
natbug2106 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-07)
And by "can set standards on faith" I meant "CAN'T set standards on faith". Sorry for the critical typo x.x
natbug2106 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-06)
A main reason I continued to be skeptical is that when my first and only dog died, I wanted so badly to see her - I felt like it was my fault she died. She was still pretty young when she started having seizures, and the medication she was on put her in a kind of blank depression. About a year later she had a stroke of sorts but I didn't have a way to get her to the vet until my mom came home some hours later, and she died in the car on the way there. I have never felt so guilty about a pet's death, or so responsible. But as much as I tried to see her, tried to find her outside running and playing or inside the kitchen protecting me when I was alone at night, I felt empty instead. I guess it was kind of a blow after the visit from my cats.

I don't like to set standards for things because you can set standards on faith. Like you said, Ohiowatha, we don't really know too much about God or the supernatural and there are thousands of unanswered questions. But it seemed... Inconsistent? I don't know - that's why I am here, to listen, and to learn.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-05)
Thanks for sharing your story, Lily. Not sure what your beliefs are that won't allow you to open your mind, but let me just say this: the world is big and we understand, even in this modern age, very little of it. To think that we have total knowledge of our planet in 2007 is as arrogant and short-sighted a notion today as it would have been in 1000 BC. There is evidence of things occurring here that are unexplainable with contemporary modes of scientific instrumentation. Perhaps someday we'll be able to more aptly explain these things we conveniently label "ghosts," but for now, raw experience and "faith" are all we have.

If people are faithful enough within their religions, for example, to believe in something they cannot see, then it is not so much of a stretch to have faith in what we perceive to be supernatural. I have had more real expereinces with what I cannot see [read: hauntings] than I have with God. I believe there is room on our planet for both, eventhough neither can be documented.

Keep your mind open and enjoy your cats' company. Wherever they are!

Thanks
keithT (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-05)
I wouldn't say that I am the type to 'belive' anything people say about ghosts an haunting in general but I'm interested in it which is why I'm on this site...anyway...your story really stood out to me because I have had the same type of thing happen to me an my cat. My cat 'Stubb' died on november 16th this last year, his kidneys were failing an his blood was basically full of toxins so I had to make the choice to put him to sleep...

Anyway...I LOVED him... LOVED him... Even cried when I had to say goodbye an I am the type who NEVER cries but I couldn't help it... But sometimes I will feel like he's still around... I never 'see' him but I feel the weight of him beside me or 'jumpping' off the couch... My friend was over several times... I never told her about what I was thinking about him being there... Untill she asked me if I felt something feeling like it just sat down next to us...

i believe hes allways around... Doing cat things an spirit things... I love him...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: