You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Things In A New Place

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Things In A New Place

 

My family and I moved into our newest place of residence two weeks after my youngest was born, in March of this year. The very first night we spent in the house my three kiddos, my husband and myself camped out in the master bedroom since we hadn't set up any beds yet and our room was the only one that was carpeted.

We were all exhausted from the final day of the move, so we quickly settled down for the night. Only a few minutes after shutting off the lights, I heard the gentle breathing of my two boys that meant they had already drifted off. Our baby was also sleeping soundly.

My husband and I were lying there quietly, trying shut down our minds now that the move was finally over, when suddenly a slight scratching sound broke the relaxing rhythm of our resting children. It sounded just like a chair being pushed across the hardwood floor in the dining room directly behind our closed bedroom door. The sound faded. I turned and in a whisper asked my husband if he'd heard it. He said he had but didn't seem as puzzled about it as I was.

My confusion stemmed from two facts. One being that our whole little family was mostly sound asleep in the same room and two almost all of our furniture, including dining room chairs, were piled in the front room on the other side of the house.

It was quiet again. I strained my ears to hear any other strange noises and that's when I heard it again. It was as if someone had pushed their chair away from the table to stand. I was honestly too tired to get up and investigate, so when I didn't hear it again I fell asleep without another thought about it. Several other strange things happened over the course of the next 6 months that made me wonder if we are currently sharing our space.

The next thing to occur happened a few weeks after moving in. My husband was going to watch the kids while I ran a quick errand. My boys were sitting down for dinner and I had walked into my room to grab my keys. I reached into my diaper bag and grabbed the key along with my sunglasses. The key resembled a black plastic rectangle. It was about two and a half inches long and one and half inches wide. I reached to place it into my jacket pocket but decided not to because I was still holding my sunglasses in the same hand and didn't want to scratch them. I turned and walked out of my room, into the dining room to speak with my husband before I left. I stood there no longer then 5 minutes when I realized I needed to get going. I turned to leave and brought my hand up to grab the key (which I still felt) with my left hand. When my hand opened, I stared, dumbfounded that the key was no longer there. I knew I had felt them just a moment before but now my right hand only held my sunglasses and nothing else.

I explained what had happened to my husband and we both agreed that I must have dropped them in my 20 ft walk from the corner of our bedroom to the corner of the dining room where we both now stood. We started searching in the next moment but the 45 minute search was fruitless. The key was nowhere to be found. We asked my two young boys if they'd seen or touched it but they had no idea what we were talking about. They had also been sitting quietly, eating their dinner when the key had gone missing and for the first half of our search they were still eating. I was frustrated but chalked it up to 'mommy brain' and took my husband's truck.

I ended up searching through everything we owned in the coming weeks (and I mean EVERYTHING. Trash cans, shoes, the hoods and pockets on all the jackets and coats we own, heater vents, all the boxes that were still packed, every inch of our yards and driveway, all the cupboards, cabinets and drawers. All of the kids' toy bins and clothes drawers. I even searched our other vehicles. I tore my diaper bag apart countless times.) but it never turned up. I still haven't found it and we ended up having to pay a ridiculous price for a new one.

About a month after the key went missing my husband went out of town for a missionary trip for 10 days. I always feel a bit uneasy when he's away, so I lock up our house extra tight and double or triple check everything.

Well one afternoon, before stepping out, I locked the side door on my way out. I also locked up the front door before leaving. I was gone a few hours and upon arrival, I was the first to enter the house. I had to walk through the room with the side door to put the groceries in the kitchen. I glanced up in the direction of the side door and to my surprise neither of the locks were still locked. My first thought was that I must not have double checked but I'd be much more careful next time and didn't dwell on the thought.

Just two days later I was leaving the house again but I remembered to double check the side door. It was locked and dead bolted. I left, once again locking up the front door. When I returned home, both locks were once again unlocked. But this too I chalked up to being a bit overworked and tired from being a new mama again.

Another event that happened in this house was when I was standing in front of the mirror in the master bath, putting my hair up, when I heard my kiddos coming in. I had a bag of candy sitting in plain view on the counter top and decided to put it away before they saw it. I picked it up and opened the cupboard to my right. I dropped the bag on the highest shelf out of their sight and reach. I closed the door and continued doing my hair. They entered my room and never saw a thing.

I forgot about it until the next night when chocolate and some reading sounded good. I opened the door and reached for the bag but couldn't feel it. I stretched on my tippy toes and peered in. The bag was not there. I thoroughly searched the shelf and all the other shelves but I came up empty handed. I later asked my husband (twice) if he had taken it or hidden it and he said he didn't and wouldn't because he and I have totally different tastes in candy. I recently found the bag in the back of a little used blanket drawer in my closet.

My husband was away again and one night after locking the doors, I shut off the lights in the pantry and the built in office. I was walking to my room and remembered I was needed to grab something from the kitchen, so I turned around only to be greeted by a lit up pantry and office. I was a bit startled but wondered if I'd actually even turned them off in the first place. I grabbed what I needed and shut them off for maybe the second time that night and went to bed.

Now I'm going to share with you the most recent and interesting thing that has happened, that no matter how hard I've tried, I just cannot explain it or use "mommy brain" as an excuse. Four weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon we arrived home and were going to have lunch with some friends. A few of them were already there so I went straight to the kitchen to start cooking. After about 20 minutes, my husband went to our room to change out of his church clothes. We spent most of the afternoon with our company and after they left, we went over to my in-laws' house for a few hours.

Well, the next day I went about my normal cleaning tasks and completely cleaned up our bedroom. That following Sunday my husband asked if I'd seen the dress shoes he had worn to church the previous Sunday and I said I hadn't seen them.

A week later we were getting ready for church and again he asked if I'd seen them. I told him no but that maybe he should look under the bed or in our shoe basket by the front door. Now mind you, I like living in a very clean home where everything has a place and I am constantly cleaning and organizing every room of the house so when yet another week went by with still no sign of the shoes, I couldn't figure out where they could be. All of my husband's dress shoes are on his side of the closet on a shoe rack and you can clearly see it when the closet is open. There had been an empty space for the shoes since they had gone missing weeks before.

It was Sunday again and this time when my husband asked if I'd seen them, I truthfully said no and asked again if he'd looked under the bed. He said yes but they weren't there.

We ended up going out of town for church that day so we didn't get in until seven pm that night. We put our kiddos to bed and then ourselves since our weekend had been busier than normal. The next day (09-21-15) my husband got up early for work and as he was getting ready, he happily said "Hey! Where'd you find my shoes?" I sat up in bed, turned to look into the closet and there they were, sitting in their rightful spot. I just stared in astonishment because I knew without a doubt they were not there the morning before or any of the weeks prior.

Something else that makes this story stranger still is that the shoes are a light cream color, almost a white, size eleven and a half men's dress shoe. They do not blend in like a brown or black pair would. I asked him if he had put them there as a joke but when he said no and asked me the same question, I couldn't help but put all these odd occurrences together.

That's all that has happened *so far* and I don't feel that it's anything evil or bad. I actually feel quite comfortable here and don't plan on moving anytime soon!

Other hauntings by Afraidnolonger

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Afraidnolonger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-01)
Dreamer01, nothing strange occurred at the three previous places I've lived in. I don't think any actual furniture was moved since most of it was a tightly stacked in the front room the night I heard the chair scraping noise. I did investigate to see if it could have been mice or a bird (Birds got into another place I lived frequently from an open attic.) making the sound but found no evidence of either. I actually love old and used things so just about everything I own came from a yard sale or thrift shop. Maybe that has something to do with it but I do pray over everything that comes into my home so I'm doubtful. I don't think the house is more than forty years old and our landlords lived in it for twenty of those years I believe. The house has definitely had parts added to it through those years.
Fariya (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-01)
You should get information about the past of the house. Maybe it has something to do with these things and may help you:)
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
I really enjoyed your story. I could almost see things unfolding as you went along.
sounds like you have a " prankster " in your midst, how strange.
I am curious though about some things. Did anything unusual happen in the previous house you lived in, and, did your furniture get moved around again?
maybe you could set up a camcorder focusing on your door locks next time you leave the house and see if they get moved.

thanks for sharing and keep writing. 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
Afraidnolonger--Mimi mentions looking into the history of your house and that seems like the best place to start investigating what is going on. Maybe it's the spirit of a former resident who just doesn't understand who this new family is living in its house. Is your house an older one? If it's only a couple decades old you could probably easily find out if someone passed away while living there for instance.

One particular aspect of your narrative really caught my attention, as I recently had the exact same thing happen. You had a key vanish from your closed hand. About a month and a half ago I was leaving a customers house (I have keys to dozens of houses because of my job) and had the key firmly closed in my hand. I got in my car and, still feeling the key, opened my hand to put the key with the other keys and it was gone! A second before I opened my hand something just felt odd. Like I was in a scene and everything shifted.

Long story short, an exhaustive search (and many since) has never turned up the key. Luckily I had a back up key for that house. At any rate, I know how utterly bizarre it feels!
Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
I have prayed over the house so I believe that's why I don't feel frightened. I try to keep a great atmosphere in my home as well. I'm very vigilant when it comes to my kiddos. I have bells on the door so I can hear if it is opened and the gates in our yards are high and closed so I'm not worried that they are in any danger. They've never mentioned seeing anything strange either. I did forget to include two other things that have happened. On several different occasions I and my husband have smelled perfume that is unfamiliar to us. It has been mostly in the front rooms of the house. Also I had a friend house sit for us when we had gone out of town. She claimed to hear footsteps in the kitchen/dining room. She was a bit creeped out. I am trying to find out more history concerning the place.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-30)
Just from what you've told us, it sounds like you've got a "roommate" that wants you to know it's there. I'm glad you don't feel frightened, but you might want to consider having your house blessed and cleansed.

The key incident bothers me. Whatever took your key had to know the problems and expense it cost. It's in the house. It had to have heard you and your husband talking. It wasn't a harmless prank.

The door being unlocked is also bothersome. Doors locking and unlocking on their own are potentially a safety issue. You certainly don't want a small child being able to get outside with you not knowing.

Do you know anything about the history of the house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: