You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Odd Uncle

Real Ghost Stories

My Odd Uncle

 

My maternal grandmother, Bueli, was a very sweet and loving woman, she was the only girl in a family of six children that lived in Mexico City during the early 1900's and through the difficult times of the "Revolucion" war (civil war).

Her family was one of those old fashion families in which children should be seen but not heard and, though she was able to break this pattern of child rearing, the rest of her brothers, except for Uncle P (the youngest one) grew up into bitter men that had difficulty accepting the changes of society and life. They turned up into four odd men that never left the family home where they lived with my great grandfather until his passing.

Bueli and Uncle P were the only ones that got married and had children; the other four brothers never married because they "could not find a woman that could measure up to their mother" (my great grandmother).

When my Bueli was pregnant and her belly began to show, her mother would ask her not to visit her place in order to avoid giving her brothers a "bad example".

But family is always going to be family and my Bueli taught her children to respect and love their uncles and, when the time came, the same attitude was expected from her children's children.

I remember how terrible it was to visit my great grandfather and uncles when I was a child! Before leaving the house and all the way to their place my mother would tell her four children all the things that we kids were not allowed to do: play, laugh, run, ask questions, stuff our mouths with cookies, interrupt a conversation, touch anything... And many other things that we should do: seat still, ask for permission to use the toilet, be quiet...

Fortunately, and since social life wasn't a priority for my uncles, those visits were scarce and not to often reciprocated... I have no fun memories of those visits to my uncles' house. As my siblings and I grew up, it became easier to find reasons or excuses for not going to visit our aging uncles.

Time went by, my Bueli was the first one of her siblings to passed away and a couple of years later one of her brothers, Uncle Ru, died too. Since his death was somehow unexpected, I couldn't attend his wake due to my job.

That day I got home late and had to spend the night alone because the rest of my family was at the funeral home. I went to bed and turned off the lights but couldn't fall asleep and began turning and rolling under the blankets and positioned my body facing the wall. After a while I began feeling uncomfortable in my bed. I could feel the weight of someone's eyes over my back and a sense of disappointment and reproach flowing towards me. I knew it was my Uncle Ru scolding me for not going to his vigil.

I wanted to get up from my bed and run out of my room, but was afraid of the possibility to see my uncle's spirit standing in the middle of my room and opted to feign a deep sleep, while taking to him in my head apologizing and explaining to him the reason why I hadn't gone to the funeral home. After a brief moment that felt like an eternity, the feeling of not been alone subsided and I was able to fall asleep. The next day I went to my uncle's funeral.

After that experience I think that my uncle's lack of feelings was only an appearance but deep in his heart there was a need to show and to receive affection; I wonder if sometime he tried to give love only to be told that a man shouldn't love.

I know that my uncles were not bad men, they were only four odd men to whom the simplest joys of life were denied.

Thanks for reading my story.

Other hauntings by lady-glow

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lady-glow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-12)
LadyGlow,
Very sad to hear you lost your Bueli so young.
In the old days, our elder folk seemed to treat us younger ones completely differently to how we treat our kids these days. Our kids are definitely seen and totally spoilt nowadays.
:-)
Thanks for sharing your memories.
By the way, I was hesitant eating the roast chook just now, after reading about Jon the rooster.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-30)
Talib: I'm not trying to change whatever opinion you have formed about me but, for the sake of all the members of YGS, I would suggest you to read the following stories. Please pay attention to the country where they took place and look for my comments.
Hopefully knowing some facts will prevent you from acting like a "residual haunting" repeating the same actions (words) over and over again. 😐

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=21013

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=18093

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=16644

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24376

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22690

I know there are more examples like these but surely you will understand that I have better things to do that to look for every single one of my over 1200 posts just to prove that they are NOT only directed to stories from India.

Like I said before, I'm not doing this in order to change your opinion, whatever you think is your right and your problem; but so it's the right of the rest of the members to keep their stories free from somebody else's drama.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-27)
Tweed: do you think Bonshaw75 is back again disguised like a guy and trying to pull a fast one on us?

You know, I am starting to see a pattern on this new story.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
7 years ago (2016-12-26)
Lady-glow - already checked the profiles, just a habit I have. Thank you for doing the same and bringing it to our attention 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2016-12-26)
ATTENTION MODERATORS: I don't want to start any drama, but you might want to check both of these "two" members profiles. I won't say "their" name, I'm sure you ladies can find them by just waving your magic wands.

I'm nineteen years old... Currently living in Kolkata, WB, India.
Wish me on 14th of Sept, every year... Happy
Fond of reading horror stories, watching horror movies, crime novels any many more...

Its my sixth sense which makes me believe in that souls never leaves the earth, people say they are free, happy and all, but to my belief they stay, we all have a feeling that someone is watching us, and yes someone is actually watching us which we can't see. Maybe we don't see them or feel them, but when we do, we fear them. And when you don't fear them, they don't hurt you, that's my hypothesis...

And:

I'm 18teen years old.
Lives in Mumbai,Maharashtra,India.
Wish me on 13th Feb.
Fond of reading Horror stories, watching Horror movies, Crime novels any many more.

Its my sixth sense that always triggers at the moments of fear.
Souls never leaves this earth, people say they are free, happy and all, but to my believe they stay, we all have a feeling that someone is watching us, and yes someone is watching us which we can't see. Maybe we don't see them or feel them, but when we do, we fear them.

Now, what are the chances for them to be two different persons?πŸ€”
roylynx (guest)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
lady-glow
Hi Senhora! You smelt the marshmallow too?
So really there's no snacks, as I always say in my comments coincident.
I will take back the sugar canes; the bus is to the sport gym,so, no snacks
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
hahaha I just realised you offered me some donut holes a few months ago, I somehow missed that comment when it was posted, funny how it seems damn appropriate now. πŸ˜‰
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
HAHAHA! Lady Glow, that t-shirt is so the best analogyπŸ˜†
I think someone's really trying to avoid the bus. πŸ˜‰
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-05-19)
Isn't it LOVELY when some "new" member opens an account only to scold their previous persona?
Just like -ok, I'm going to change my button up for a t-shirt and everyone will think I'm a different person. πŸ€”

Jessie12: your writing style will give you away... Always!
Zeromaru (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-04)
Hi! I read your story!
Strange experience...
Thanks for sharing!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-26)
Tweed: my favorite comfort food when feeling frustrated is a good cup of cappuccino coffee and a box of donut holes...
Would you care for some?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
lady-glow,
It sounds as if your older uncles may have had the Victorian 'virtues' ingrained into them more so then your Grandmother and Uncle P. Unfortunately it was considered 'unmanly' for males to show 'feminine'emotions, especially those of affection. It was also considered 'wrong' for a woman to display anger or strong opinions (masculine, don't you know?)
I agree with Tweed's assessment of your Uncle's 'visit'. Maybe, just maybe, he wanted to let you know he did love you in his own fashion.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Silentwings: you nailed it! That's the way we had to seat during those visits to my uncles' house; to make things worse, sometimes the family of one of my mother's sisters would come with us; she had five children and that would make nine kids trying to keep a straight face for what look like an eternity! πŸ˜†

Tweed: I felt remorse after Uncle Ru's goodbye... If only I had known he really cared for me before it was too late!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Hello and thanks for reading and commenting on my story.

Sushantkar and sds: more than once I have wonder the reason (s) behind the lack of ability of my uncles to adapt to the changing world they lived in, I mean, my grand mother and her little brother had the same parents and grew up under the same household and conditions than their siblings, but somehow they both managed to escape the attitude of the rest of the family. Perhaps all comes down to personality and willingness to take risks; it is possible that my uncles were not even aware of other ways of family interaction and relationships different to the ones they lived at home.😐

My guess is, nobody taught them how to show affection and love, but deep in their hearts the poor old men were craving for these.

Sheetal: that's right, they only followed the pattern they were used to see as 'normal'.

Anyway, I'm thankful for the fact that my childhood was blessed with loving parents and lots of hugs and affection.
Silentwings (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Hey Lady-glow, I love how vividly you wrote this I can just about see a line of children sitting on a couch hands folded in their laps trying not to wiggle after the long lecture in the car... It sounds like a visit to my great grandpa's house when my brother and I were small. Maybe when he came to your room giving off the feeling of disappointment and reproach that could have been his last attempt for affection seeing that he left not long after you apologized and explained your absence or his attempt of showing his affection towards you seeing that a lot of the older generations tend to show affection through correction or guidance rather than hugs and things of that nature, though I could be completely wrong it's what crossed my mind as I read it. Thank you for sharing this with us. 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Lady Glow, this is such a moving encounter.

Your uncle probably watched you, and other family members, for days before this happened. The negativity you felt from him was probably what he felt about himself. Sorrow, anger, frustration for the life he'd lived because of some rigid traditional attitude. I hope he's found peace. No doubt you and your family members are an inspiration to him now. ❀
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Hi lady-glow, I have the same questions as sushant has asked. It was really a very good experience and as I always felt love goes beyond the line of life and death. I would like to know as to why your uncles were odd and what were their customs and the reasons behind it. Well, if it is not related to anything paranormal you can send your replies, if possible, to my e-mail.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-01)
Hello, Lady- glow... This was a nice, crispy story... I am feeling that they develop that kind of mentality because of the surrounding. By the way it is a nice story and thanks for sharing ❀
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+8
8 years ago (2015-09-30)
Hello LG, my condolences for the loss of your uncle. It was truly an emotional experience. The rules which had been set by your family, is it some kind of a family ritual which is being followed by the family members or is it just the rules which had been set to avoid certain things. The rules seems to me more odder than your uncles who were just following the rules.
Nevertheless, it was definitely a new experience for me in terms of reading.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: